Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 11-02-2003, 08:55 PM
odious little scroat

Location: Turning the streets of Wallington into a Red N Blue paradise
c_block_lad sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkc_block_lad sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkc_block_lad sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkc_block_lad sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkc_block_lad sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkc_block_lad sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkc_block_lad sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkc_block_lad sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkc_block_lad sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkc_block_lad sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkc_block_lad sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Was thier ever a Civic reception for the Champions but knowing Croydon Council im surpised they even know theres a Foootball Club in the area!!

If they've suffered a bit of distress this weekend... good.

Please allow decent Palace fans like c_block_lad his moment of happiness. He's living on the front line, and doing a marvellous job.

Keep the striped flag flying high.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:27 PM

tomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
All the memories are flooding back to that great season. I only missed about four games all season, including the pointless anglo italian games, and Bolton away.

At the start of the saeson,we had to play poxy four times in about as many weeks.

Also it saw to of the coldest days know to football, at Sunderland and Bolton.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:32 PM

markholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proud

Last edited by markholmes1991; 22-09-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by markholmes1991
not forgetting Bristol City @ Home
I remember that game! It rained or sleeted for the whole duration and I left the ground freezing by fu˘king nads off! Those were the days of the roofless holmesdale terrace
Old 12-02-2003, 05:06 PM
bloody old fool

RtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipper
Also the snowy night in the rearranged game with Peterboro. For me Deanos block buster against Derby beat everything. Stoppage time, big punt out from Nige, chested into Deanos path by Fatbloke and KABOOM! My all time favourite Palace goal.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:41 PM

Feather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFeather : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychokiller
I remember that game! It rained or sleeted for the whole duration and I left the ground freezing by fu˘king nads off! Those were the days of the roofless holmesdale terrace
I seem to remember the Bristol City kit giving off some heat though. Wasn't it purple and fluorescent green?

Great thread. Similar to tomario, I only missed a about 5 games. I think this was my favourite season for following Palace.
Old 16-02-2003, 08:31 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Gardiner
Considering the number of goals Gareth Southgate scored from midfield that season, why is it every commentator treats the chances of him getting a goal for Boro or England as slightly less than Noades paying SJ to take over Selhurst? Or don't goals for Palace count?

Thanks for bringing this up. It's unbelievable that commentators treat him like they do. I remember when he scored two for Villa at Leeds on 3/1/00 and Radio 5 Live were making out that something superhuman had happened. Thankfully Gareth put them straight and pointed out that he scored quite a bit for Palace, although that obviously didn't sink in as most commentators stick to spouting out the same old garbage when it comes him.
Old 16-02-2003, 08:33 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by tomario

Another favorite memory was the day we clinched the title at Middlesborough. Very drunken train journey up, wandering where Grim Reaper was, he eventually turned up at half time because he had overslept.
The train was due to leave Kings Cross at 9.05 and and I woke up in Chatham at 9.20 despiet setting FOUR, yes FOUR alarms for four separate times around the 6.30 mark. What's worse is that I even stayed soberish on the Saturday night in order not to oversleep. A sane person wouldn't have bothered going but I got in after 53 minutes and Armstrong scored after 54 to win us the title. Lovely jubbly.
Old 16-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Since 1905

charltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Re: Champions 1993-94

Quote:
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Having recently snapped up the 93-94 review vid on Ebay for a tasty Ł1.99,
What sort of nincompoop would want to sell any Palace video?

I remember the 5-1 game against Portsmouth as if it was yesterday (despite the fact it was played in the first half of my life). Other memories are watching Middlesborough on T.V., going to my first away game ever up at Luton and the best pre-match atmosphere I've ever been in on the final game of the season.
Old 16-02-2003, 07:17 PM

Re: Re: Champions 1993-94

Quote:
Originally posted by charltonhater

best pre-match atmosphere I've ever been in on the final game of the season.
Good that you mention PRE-MATCH as the game itself saw one of the most naff atmospheres the ground has ever seen.
Old 16-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Lovely stuff

Thanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
This thread had brought back loads of good memories.The particular games that stick in my mind were 5-1 Popmey home,Boro away,on the day we won the title and a televised away game at Tranmere that we won and so meant we were top for Christmas.Do not think we surrendered top position for the rest of the season.The football we played (more so earlier in the season) was among some of the best I have seen as a Palace fan.

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller
Old 16-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Anna K she fit or what?

Crystal Eagle1 will leave the TV and the radio behindCrystal Eagle1 will leave the TV and the radio behindCrystal Eagle1 will leave the TV and the radio behindCrystal Eagle1 will leave the TV and the radio behindCrystal Eagle1 will leave the TV and the radio behindCrystal Eagle1 will leave the TV and the radio behindCrystal Eagle1 will leave the TV and the radio behindCrystal Eagle1 will leave the TV and the radio behindCrystal Eagle1 will leave the TV and the radio behindCrystal Eagle1 will leave the TV and the radio behindCrystal Eagle1 will leave the TV and the radio behind
Please can someone help me can someone please find me the ringtone (Yankee Doodle Dandy) For the nokia 3310 either directly sent to the phone or where you have to put it in yourself

Cheers
You will always be mine, Always be mine
And im feelin glad all over yes i am glad all over baby i am glad all over so glad you mine

By the way im the original Crystal Eagle but my first acount f*cked up :bash:
Old 17-02-2003, 12:50 AM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
The game at Southend was fantastic; it was the combination of the huge away support, the increasingly rare opportunity to stand on a packed terrace, the extra atmosphere of a floodlit game and of course an away win that virtually guaranteed promotion.

The home game was a good memory too. At the time (Xmas/New Year) Southend were genuine promotion candidates (they'd faded badly by the rematch) and brought a large and noisy/mouthy away support. Palace scored the only goal of the game with about the last kick of the game. Simon Rodger scored from about 2 yards and even then nearly managed to miss, crashing it into the roof of the net; if he'd been any further out it would have cleared executive boxes at the Whitehorse Lane end. It must have been a depressing drive back to Essex in their furry-dice bedecked Ford Capris that evening.
Old 17-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Lest we forget

Gark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Thanet Eagle
This thread had brought back loads of good memories.The particular games that stick in my mind were 5-1 Popmey home,Boro away,on the day we won the title and a televised away game at Tranmere that we won and so meant we were top for Christmas.Do not think we surrendered top position for the rest of the season.The football we played (more so earlier in the season) was among some of the best I have seen as a Palace fan.
We went top in December but blew it in January. Leicester went above us but we played them a game or two later at the end of the month, won, went top and never looked back.
Old 13-04-2013, 07:33 PM
GT

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis
The game at Southend was fantastic; it was the combination of the huge away support, the increasingly rare opportunity to stand on a packed terrace, the extra atmosphere of a floodlit game and of course an away win that virtually guaranteed promotion.
Wednesday evening, got down there for midday and the town was taken over by Palace fans for the day. Southend were a decent team back then, think they were channelging for promotion up until Fry left for Brum (December time) Ex full back Chris Powell played for the Shrimpers at the time.

Random question, but before Smith's appointment in the summer of 1993' can anyone else remind me who else was in the frame/potentially touted for the managers position?

Last edited by jaspercpfc; 13-04-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 15-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc
Wednesday evening, got down there for midday and the town was taken over by Palace fans for the day. Southend were a decent team back then, think they were channelging for promotion up until Fry left for Brum (December time) Ex full back Chris Powell played for the Shrimpers at the time.

Random question, but before Smith's appointment in the summer of 1993' can anyone else remind me who else was in the frame/potentially touted for the managers position?
Dont think there was but Bassett was mentioned probably.

Smith didnt inspire many of us - Seemed a dull appointment at the time - He also gaffed pre-season when he mentioned hoping to get in the top 6. That didnt go down well.

The turning point was at the open day at Selhurst - He held a training session on the pitch and I think many were impressed. Smith had the midas touch that year - And although some like to re-write history he was responsible for our promotion. He was simply fantastic - A year later he lost the plot and in 2001 he was a joke but the Alan Smith of 93/94 was gem IMO.

What a great season - And yes Chris Armstrong had looked a world beater so comparisons with Wright were fair enough at the time.
Old 15-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
My memories...

Southgate's great goal against Pompey...Salako hat trick against Stoke, looking like world beaters at Notts co and still losing (or was it a draw?)...Coleman's 'meatball header' at the Hawthorns (I think Southgate scored a good one in that game too)...taking over Southend...Peterboro away (midweek game but incredible noise - a bit like the scenes I saw this year but without the win)...Paul Williams's diving header against Barnsley...another good goal from Southgate in a win at Watford...a beautiful packed out Holmesdale terrace in the last game...and best of all, (I think the last ever game at Ayresome Park) where we secured the title and an ecstatic team and manager came back out of the tunnel ages after the game when we refused to leave!
Old 15-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol
Dont think there was but Bassett was mentioned probably.

Smith didnt inspire many of us - Seemed a dull appointment at the time - He also gaffed pre-season when he mentioned hoping to get in the top 6. That didnt go down well.

The turning point was at the open day at Selhurst - He held a training session on the pitch and I think many were impressed. Smith had the midas touch that year - And although some like to re-write history he was responsible for our promotion. He was simply fantastic - A year later he lost the plot and in 2001 he was a joke but the Alan Smith of 93/94 was gem IMO.

What a great season - And yes Chris Armstrong had looked a world beater so comparisons with Wright were fair enough at the time.
Smith did well, but he had plenty of talent at his disposal and perhaps not quite as competitive a league to contend with as we see in the Championship now.

I'm not doubting his football knowledge, but his massive ego and ability to rankle others with his poor interpersonal skills seemed to me to be more his undoing. We definitely should have stayed up - it seemed practically the whole team when it broke up went on to have good careers elsewhere!
Old 15-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Magnificent moustache

the elusive k came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe elusive k came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe elusive k came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe elusive k came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe elusive k came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe elusive k came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe elusive k came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe elusive k came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe elusive k came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe elusive k came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthe elusive k came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
My memories...

Southgate's great goal against Pompey...Salako hat trick against Stoke...taking over Southend...Peterboro away (midweek game but incredible noise - a bit like the scenes I saw this year but without the win)
I forgot about Salako's hat-trick. Wasn't it one of his first games back after his lengthy injury layoff? I remember the Southend and Peterborough away games, didn't we lose 1-2 at Peterborough with Simon Rodger getting a consolation?
Armstrong really looked the real deal that season, fantastic pace, strength and half decent in the air too.
Old 15-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Dougie 21/03/2007

milky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I have the video of the 5-1 against Portsmouth - what a game!

Anyone got any season reviews for sale? Please Pm me if you have any.

Cheers

Dave
I have the 89/89, 90/91 and 93/94 season reviews on VHS. I really want them converted to DVD as I haven't watched them in years