Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 16-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Aitchison
Anyone remember Nigel Martyn tearing out of his area and upending either Clive Allen or that beardy forward they had (Mitchell) in the second half of that game?

That was a long minute or so while we waited to see the colour of the ref's card.

Yes he should of been sent off. Clive Allen missed from about 2 yards out though
Old 16-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin on Top
Was a bit hairy outside the Hawthorns as well, very tense atmosphere with a few skirmishes
Me and my girlfriend at.the time were attacked after the game, nothing too serious though.
Old 16-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Can someone who went to the penultimate game away @ Boro please agree that this was orgasmic, as it can't only be me !

About 7k at Ayresome Park, 2.5k from Palace.

Supped champagne all night and woke up @ 8am the following morning, on a grass verge at the top of my street, being prodded with an umbrella by a little old lady.

Memories.
See my post! Only downer was hearing of Senna's death when we got back to the coach, and the massive dump that someone did in the 'not for pooping' coach 2 toilet on the way up.
Old 16-04-2013, 05:40 PM

kolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is here
I loved 93/94 - the season that fixed the emotional wreck of a 12 year old I was when we went down.

When we got going, we never looked like we would stop. Southgate going box to box, Salako coming back from injury, Armstrong flying. Was a wonderful season.

And then we started forward planning when Alan Smith signed the player he called "the black Georgie Best" in Bruce Dyer.
Old 16-04-2013, 06:00 PM
bit scummish really

Radders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomario
One of my favorite memories was a 4-2 win at brum just after the Portsmouth victory. We played some brilliant football, Paul Williams scored his first goal for Palace, and there was a large noisy Palace support. Some of the early football we played that season was pure class.

Didnt go but remember the 4-2 at Brum. The goals were Palace passing like Brazil!! Even Shaw scored a great 'team' goal that day. Kevin Miller was in goal for Brum too.

The 1-0 win at Tranmere was massive for me. Tough place to go at the time, Friday night on the telly if memory serves, great result.

Gotta agree with PK though. As a footnote to Palace being great that season, to see Salako play up top, score 3 on a pissing wet day and finally have something since his injury (which at that time would often end careers) to remember was worth the wait.
Old 16-04-2013, 06:05 PM

Wycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
See my post! Only downer was hearing of Senna's death when we got back to the coach, and the massive dump that someone did in the 'not for pooping' coach 2 toilet on the way up.
Senna's accident, knew something else happened that day and this just reminded me. Think we heard on a bus that was laid on back to the train station.

I was 15 at the time and can't tell you how great that season was. Only missed 5 games regrettably Southend and Peterborough away were 2 of them as I was in Tenerife but they looked absolutely mental.

Remember how good we were away from home and the awesome football we played. Highlights I can remember were the early away games at Birmingham and West Brom. Then as the run continued our away support just got bigger and bigger, remember getting big results and having absolutely massive followings at Oxford, Pompey, Forest (pitch invasion after Mathews equaliser ) Stoke, Watford and Boro. Also the huge followings at the 2 I mentioned earlier I missed and seem to recall Tranmere which was on telly I think.
Old 16-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
WE ARE TOP THE LEAGUE!
SAY WE ARE TOP THE LEAGUE!
Old 17-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Can someone who went to the penultimate game away @ Boro please agree that this was orgasmic, as it can't only be me !

About 7k at Ayresome Park, 2.5k from Palace.

Supped champagne all night and woke up @ 8am the following morning, on a grass verge at the top of my street, being prodded with an umbrella by a little old lady.

Memories.

It was!

Celebrated on the train with white wine as all the beer had been drunk -h=they had to restock the bar at York or Doncaster or some northern outpost

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 17-04-2013, 02:54 PM

New LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fella
The meatball header was against West Brom, which I think was a 4-1 away win? I remember Richard Shaw scoring in the 4-2 at Brum and a Midlands biased Greavsie was on co-commentator duty. He very rarely had a good word to say about us.
It was of course, excuse my memory lapse 19 years on and thanks for boldly highlighting it!
Old 17-04-2013, 02:57 PM

New LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is here
Quote:
Anyone remember Nigel Martyn tearing out of his area and upending either Clive Allen or that beardy forward they had (Mitchell) in the second half of that game?

That was a long minute or so while we waited to see the colour of the ref's card.
I remember that well, Jeremy Beadle lookalike Dave Mitchell was clattered by Nige, but it was in a fairly wide position and so probably not a straight red. But the Millwall fans were packed in the old corner terrace of the Holmesdale and were going mad, baying for a red. The ref showed a fair bit of calm just to issue a yellow.
Old 17-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Benevolence personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by New LP
I remember that well, Jeremy Beadle lookalike Dave Mitchell was clattered by Nige, but it was in a fairly wide position and so probably not a straight red. But the Millwall fans were packed in the old corner terrace of the Holmesdale and were going mad, baying for a red. The ref showed a fair bit of calm just to issue a yellow.
I forget the ref's name, but remember seeing Nige on telly saying his first name and "I couldn't stop!"
Old 18-04-2013, 01:41 PM

Andrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by New LP

And the choruses of "Millwall are going nowhere" echoing around the ground were pretty satisfying as well.
Old 18-04-2013, 01:45 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Quote:

Great memory. Martyn thumped into Mitchell (imagine what Beadle would look like if he slept rough) & should've walked. The Millwall fans were going beserk at the challenge and then went up a gear when Martyn got away with a yellow. Great day out. Park Road was pretty lively afterwards.
Old 18-04-2013, 07:51 PM
GT

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic
Great memory. Martyn thumped into Mitchell (imagine what Beadle would look like if he slept rough) & should've walked. The Millwall fans were going beserk at the challenge and then went up a gear when Martyn got away with a yellow. Great day out. Park Road was pretty lively afterwards.
Gordan's bombarding overlap to Salako's run, and then the cross produced by Deano was sublime, super header by Armstrong in front of the Holmesdale. I remember a few minutes before we had a penalty turned away when the lump Keith Stevans bought down Stewart in the box.
A time where we seemed to be linked with Alex Rae every couple of months.
Old 21-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Went to Millwall on New Years Day only to see us get torn apart in a 15 minute spell and lose 3-0. That was a pretty shitty memory of that season!!!
Old 21-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Burbs Palace

Typical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis
The game at Southend was fantastic; it was the combination of the huge away support, the increasingly rare opportunity to stand on a packed terrace, the extra atmosphere of a floodlit game and of course an away win that virtually guaranteed promotion.

The home game was a good memory too. At the time (Xmas/New Year) Southend were genuine promotion candidates (they'd faded badly by the rematch) and brought a large and noisy/mouthy away support. Palace scored the only goal of the game with about the last kick of the game. Simon Rodger scored from about 2 yards and even then nearly managed to miss, crashing it into the roof of the net; if he'd been any further out it would have cleared executive boxes at the Whitehorse Lane end. It must have been a depressing drive back to Essex in their furry-dice bedecked Ford Capris that evening.
Huge pre-Christmas crowd as well 20k plus I think

Southend were a form side then, Ricky Otto et al
Old 21-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Searching the Holy Grail

selhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurstparkflyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I put a tenner on Palace to win the league at 11-1 right at the beginning of the season; it seemed like a no-brainer to me and I've never bet on them again.

I saw loads of Palace that season. 4-2 at Brum was great, away at Southend was fun, beating Millwall at home was lovely and 'The Last Stand' was the biggest anti-climax I've ever experienced as a Palace fan.
Old 22-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle
Went to Millwall on New Years Day only to see us get torn apart in a 15 minute spell and lose 3-0. That was a pretty shitty memory of that season!!!
Etienne Verveer.

We played ok first half..

Just before Hide Vs Bennt
Old 22-04-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical Palace
Huge pre-Christmas crowd as well 20k plus I think

Southend were a form side then, Ricky Otto et al
Remember the Southend home game. They battered us, Ricky Otto running the show and then we won it with a totally undeserved late winner from Jolly.

I was about 16 at the time and remember phoning my mum at a phone box near Norwood Junction station to tell her I was on the way home. An irate Southend fan barged in and pulled the phone out of my hand and started shouting abuse about 'lucky Palace etc'.
Old 22-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76
Etienne Verveer.

We played ok first half..

Just before Hide Vs Bennt
Yes he scored a remarkable overhead kick.

I was only 8 at the time and still remember my friends and I being sheperded by our Dads whilst all sorts of filthy wanky Millwall scum were walking past us shouting all sorts of obscenities and basically trying to pick a fight with anyone they could... One of the main reasons I will always hate Millwall more than Brighton.

What 40-60 year old men think it's acceptable to shout words like c*** and f*** at and threaten small children?!