Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

View Poll Results: at what age do you stop listening to new music??????
30-40 2 8.33%
40-50 3 12.50%
50-60 2 8.33%
60 + 4 16.67%
what's new music??? 2 8.33%
I'm too young to know 11 45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-09-2001, 03:24 PM
Defunct!

drl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet cover
new music and getting old

I'm only 20 and going into my third year at uni next year, so I know that the best part of my life is already behind me

Last night I started thinking about my Cd collection, I have around 150 albums and in my head I have a list of at least 30 more which I want but cannot buy due to my finances.

I was just wondering, at what age do you start not liking any new bands that come out, are quite happy simply listening to the cd's you have and start listening (if I were back in croydon) to capital gold???

Discuss.....
Old 16-09-2001, 03:38 PM
Stumbling in the dark

Steve M if going out is your best bet, then bingo yourself to sleepSteve M if going out is your best bet, then bingo yourself to sleepSteve M if going out is your best bet, then bingo yourself to sleepSteve M if going out is your best bet, then bingo yourself to sleepSteve M if going out is your best bet, then bingo yourself to sleepSteve M if going out is your best bet, then bingo yourself to sleepSteve M if going out is your best bet, then bingo yourself to sleepSteve M if going out is your best bet, then bingo yourself to sleepSteve M if going out is your best bet, then bingo yourself to sleepSteve M if going out is your best bet, then bingo yourself to sleepSteve M if going out is your best bet, then bingo yourself to sleep
I'm only 23 but I totally stopped relating to most new chart music a few years ago and thinking about it most of my favourite stuff at the moment's pretty old. The last two cds I bought were first released in 72 and 78. I may just be old before my time but it seems to me that hardly anything of real lasting appeal (ie 20 or more years) has been released lately
Old 16-09-2001, 05:26 PM
Let it Be

Riccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Oi ! I listen to Capital Gold quite a bit in the car. They're the only station that seems to play music, rather than talk b@llocks...i.e. Sara Cox.

XFM is pretty cool. I like the new stuff on there...chart stuff is pretty bad. Too much kiddies stuff. F@ck off Bob the Builder.
Old 16-09-2001, 05:50 PM
Fading into memory.

E.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I'm 39 and must admit could not tell you who is in the charts at the moment. Not surprising as records (oops sorry Cds - showing my age already!) come in and out of them so quickly.Whatever happened to non movers at number 14 or records climbing twelve places from 27 to 39?
Anyway despite giving up on the more 'mainstream' chart stuff which is clearly aimed towards a very young audience I still like to hear new bands even if they may not be radically differerent to the stuff I've always liked.For example The Strokes and Sparklehorse are bands I've picked up on via XFM and may well buy their latest releases.
Therefore I'm not quite ready to switch to Capital Gold just yet except to listen to their Football coverage!
Where I can't be seen, I don't wanna be free
Old 16-09-2001, 06:23 PM

Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.
The charts have been a load of crap for the last 15 years apart from the odd decent group coming through. I'm 34 and have never liked computerised music with drum machines and the like, I like good guitar based bands thats why Oasis were like a breath of fresh air when they arrived on the music scene. Paul Weller is my favourite artist around at the moment but even he has not had a chart hit for a while. Its about time the music business had a bit of a shake up and got rid of these appalling boy & girl bands, its a shame the only decent girl band All Saints broke up.
Old 16-09-2001, 07:38 PM
Let it Be

Riccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Gavin Axten
......its a shame the only decent girl band All Saints broke up.
I really started to like them and they split. Shame really. Can still see Mel Blatt on TV though .
Old 16-09-2001, 10:17 PM

as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216
I've always had trouble getting to grips with any new style of music that comes along (especially dance-related ones) but that doesn't mean new bands aren't worth checking out. It does seem to me though that all the bands that are being hyped at the moment are merely re-treading old styles of music e.g Strokes = Television, Slipknot = Slayer etc. Not saying that there's anything wrong with that though.
Old 16-09-2001, 11:08 PM
Sad Moon Risin'

Location: 3951 miles (6358 km) (3433 nautical miles) from Selhurst
jlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
i dont think ever.....as long as you like it....you dont have to buy the album to enjoy the music.....
Old 16-09-2001, 11:17 PM

Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.Gavin Axten will soon be the subject of a chant from the Holmesdale. And not a Mullery-style one.
Its good to hear The Stranglers music being used to promote some recent programmes on TV i.e Peaches and Golden Brown. To any of the BBS who have never heard their music go and buy an album of theirs you will love it especially the early albums
Old 16-09-2001, 11:22 PM
Playing a round

David Murray FFS MurrayDavid Murray FFS MurrayDavid Murray FFS MurrayDavid Murray FFS MurrayDavid Murray FFS MurrayDavid Murray FFS MurrayDavid Murray FFS MurrayDavid Murray FFS MurrayDavid Murray FFS MurrayDavid Murray FFS MurrayDavid Murray FFS Murray
Re: new music and getting old

Quote:
Originally posted by drl199
I'm only 20 and going into my third year at uni next year, so I know that the best part of my life is already behind me
WHAT ?? You haven't even started the best part of your life Drl.

As for the music, I agree with Gavins first post.
Old 17-09-2001, 01:44 AM
At The Drive-In, Enfilade

Location: Orpington. freight train coming, freight freight train coming........
Neil MacQueen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenNeil MacQueen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenNeil MacQueen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenNeil MacQueen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenNeil MacQueen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenNeil MacQueen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenNeil MacQueen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenNeil MacQueen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenNeil MacQueen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenNeil MacQueen has to read the song lyrics on the big screenNeil MacQueen has to read the song lyrics on the big screen
XFM is cool
Old 17-09-2001, 02:04 AM
People are People

firesign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfiresign came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
When I was younger I used to buy tons of albums and singles (ah, vinyl heaven!). Now I buy far less 1) becuase som much new stuff is complette pants and 2) because I have a family, mortgage and a stack load of bills and other things that have to come first. Nowadays my disposable income goes on cardigans and trips to the Harvester.

I still love music as much as ever, but as you get older you become less attached to fashions and 'scenes'. I used to buy stuff by bands I'd never heard of. Now I'm more discerning, but also more open-minded. Now I can admit to liking things that I wouldn't have done previously. However, the music that reminds me of my youth will always have a special place in my heart and I expect that you will find the same is true.
Old 17-09-2001, 04:08 AM
Defunct!

drl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverdrl199 is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet cover
Re: Re: new music and getting old

Quote:
Originally posted by David Murray

As for the music, I agree with Gavins first post.
Please David, call me Dan

If you look at my post there is a winking smiley at the end of this sentance, I only wrote this to wind some of you older lot up and it seems to have done the trick. The smiley, at the end sugests that this comment was not to be taken too seriously. The best part of my life I believe is still ahead of me, where as yours dave, has probably been and gone. Cheers Dave

However I did mention that I am just about to start the 3rd year, this news was only just confirmed today with the news of my re-sits results I await your applause and no doubt some of you will scorn for the mere fact that I had re-sits, but I did work very hard this summer If any of you were wondering I study Physics

on the music front, the last album I bought was Ed Harcourt (here be monsters), whom some of you may have seen on the mercury music awards and is a brilliant album
Old 17-09-2001, 06:33 AM
Anonymous Coward

Quote:
Originally posted by Gavin Axten
Oasis were like a breath of fresh air
Is this the funniest thing ever posted anywhere?
Old 17-09-2001, 06:34 AM
Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: new music and getting old

Quote:
Originally posted by David Murray
No, he's right, all downhill after 20.
Old 17-09-2001, 07:38 AM
leviathan

ozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
Kidding ?

Surely you're all kidding yourselves that it's all downhill after 20.
Let me tell you young man, once you get to 30, you'll be pulling so rampantly that you'll look back and say,"if only I knew then what I know now", a little pull savvy goes a long way. At 30 you're open to the entire gamut of fillies, 18-40 and above if you so wish.
As for the tunes, I don't think one can ever stop appreciating and embracing new bands.

tr.v. an·nexed, an·nex·ing, an·nex·es

To append or attach, especially to a larger or more significant thing.
To incorporate (territory) into an existing political unit such as a country, state, county, or city.
To add or attach, as an attribute, condition, or consequence.
Old 17-09-2001, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Doctor

Is this the funniest thing ever posted anywhere?
-------------------------------------------------
So why is this funny???? When Oasis arrived on the scene guitar based bands were very few
Old 17-09-2001, 12:19 PM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Weird I should see this thread this morning as I spent yesterday afternoon at a friends house watching 'Kerrang' TV.

A small confession. In my mid-teenage years ( almost 20 years ago, gulp ) I was a fan of most rock music, especially the heavier stuff and spent many a happy hour playing air guitar along with the likes of AC/DC, Iron Maiden and, in my more reflective moods, Led Zeppelin. Even now when I hear 'Since you've been gone', by Rainbow, I wind down the car windows and belt out the words. But after watching the video for some 'tune' by a band called Slip Knot, I realise that the bands I used to enjoy where just a bunch of pussies. Sip Knot. Now that is what I call a ROCK band !
Old 17-09-2001, 01:11 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm in my early forties but I clicked on "too young to know"!

Of course the charts are mostly full of regurgitated crap but there's a lot of good music around, even for a "mainstream" music lover like me.

Muse
Elbow
Coldplay
Mansun
Ocean Colour Scene
Straw
Eels
Toploader

...there's loads of current stuff I like listening to.
Old 17-09-2001, 01:43 PM

Ocean Colour Scene are an excellant band although they seem to have gone a bit quiet lately, also like Coldplay & Toploader