Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:13 PM

Coastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
So Called Pushing On.

We've all been talking about it for a while now but it's always come to nowt thus far.
We won't win the title or anything ridiculous like that but surely a Europa League spot isn't out of the question?
I'm not one for hyperbole and I've been a Palace fan long enough to know that misery is just around the corner but I'm confident enough to think that this is our best chance ever. And that's not based on a good away opening win.
I so desperately want European competition (Samsomspor in the Venables 2nd era doesn't count) before I die.
I got my one wish of seeing us in an FA cup final (twice) which I never thought would happen in my lifetime so Europe it is!
The closest I've come to Palace in Europe is the Inter friendly and The Partick Thistle visit to Selhurst of '73 where I nearly had my head smashed in by a bottle thrown by a sweraty when I was 9 and stood at the front of The New Stand.
I deserve it.
We all do.

Last edited by Coastal Palace; 11-08-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:17 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
The Inter game wasn't a friendly. It was the prestigious Anglo-Italian Tournament
Old 11-08-2018, 06:29 PM

Coastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCoastal Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
The Inter game wasn't a friendly. It was the prestigious Anglo-Italian Tournament

There was nothing friendly about that Partick Thistle game.

Now I think about it, my older brother, who took me to that game and always resented the fact that I tagged along to Selhurst with him, had a glass bottle in his hand when he shoved me to the front of The New Stand that day.

It all makes sense now.
And to think I've held a grudge towards Partick Thistle and their fans for all these years...
Old 11-08-2018, 06:31 PM
By hand or by Bannan

Excowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is here
It's the first year you can look at our squad and not be terrified at the thought of having a load of European games next year.

Werner Herzog
Old 11-08-2018, 06:35 PM
Big Member

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
I so desperately want European competition (Samsomspor in the Venables 2nd era doesn't count) before I die.
I got my one wish of seeing us in an FA cup final (twice) which I never thought would happen in my lifetime so Europe it is!....
FA Cup win.
Then a European spot. Please.

Think that is pretty much it.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:40 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle View Post
FA Cup win.

And win the Charity Shield, so that Br*ghton haven't even got that to bore us about.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 11-08-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle View Post
FA Cup win.

I'm one of the most negative, miserable f*ckers you never wanna wish to meet (my mum said I was lovely though) but I honestly think this team is more than capable of The Europa League.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:57 PM

TWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is here
We will come 7th, we are very good
Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 PM

CharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is here
I think deep down we're all very, very excited at what this team could potentially achieve. I'd say there's a high portion of us who really think barring any injuries this could well be the season we get European Football via whatever route. But I think not many are really bold enough to admit it openly.

Roy is giving it his absolute all in what will surely be his last job in management.

One thing I'll put my neck on the line and say is we definitely won't be looking over our shoulders at relegation this season.

Clinton Morrison.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:09 PM

I'm a bit ashamed to say that I shed a little tear when we sang Abide with me at the '90 final (I cried a bit like a little cissy girl at Villa Park semi final) and I'd do the same at our 1st legitimate European tie.
As long as it ain't Partick Thistle.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:12 PM

Johnintheusa1 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkJohnintheusa1 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkJohnintheusa1 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkJohnintheusa1 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkJohnintheusa1 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkJohnintheusa1 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkJohnintheusa1 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkJohnintheusa1 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkJohnintheusa1 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkJohnintheusa1 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkJohnintheusa1 sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Heart say 'why not?!'. Head says 'this is Palace'. I'd like a mid-table season please...just for once
Old 11-08-2018, 07:20 PM

alanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is here
let's keep calm for a few games and see how things pan out. Very fine margins in this league.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:21 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle View Post
We will come 7th, we are very good
That is the problem. In reality there is only one place up for grabs.

Other than the season when Leicester won the league and bizarrely Liverpool finished 8th, Chelsea 10th and Everton 11th, it is normally Everton that takes one of the spots.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)

Last edited by dave_who_ru; 12-08-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:26 PM
Big Member

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
That is the problem. In reality there is only one place up for grabs.

Other than the season when Leicester won the league and bizarrely Liverpool finished 8th, Chelsea 19th and Everton 11th, it is normally Everton that takes one of the spots.
And i think Everton will be pretty good, along with Leicester.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:40 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
I just want us to get to forty points first, then see where we can go on to from there.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:45 PM

Kosowski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKosowski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKosowski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKosowski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKosowski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKosowski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKosowski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKosowski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKosowski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKosowski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKosowski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Lets not get carried away eh? Threads like this always come back to bite...

We'll see where we are after ten games.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:54 PM

little dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle dedders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
West Ham and Everton will both be good.

Important not to get carried away. Top half of the table is the aim. Anything more is great.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:22 PM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Pushing on is always a risk. Look at Charlton and the famous next level. Cup runs are always a lottery - draw Man City in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, play a couple of youngsters too many in the early LC rounds and they are done for another year. Two FA Cup finals have been great, as was the ZDS win, and of course clubs like us have had huge days out for a Play Off finals. Having said that, more FA/LC finals if we keep stable shouldn’t be beyond us with the right luck.

As far as the league is concerned, pushing on right now is being safe by early April - that hits the spot, and if that happens, you never know where the journey could end. Most seasons one team surprises people, no reason that one season it couldn’t be us.

But to do that, we need another couple of stable seasons with incremental squad development while the stadium and academy develop, those two should make life a lot easier.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 11-08-2018, 09:38 PM

plectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplectrum came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
We've all been talking about it for a while now but it's always come to nowt thus far.
We won't win the title or anything ridiculous like that but surely a Europa League spot isn't out of the question?
I'm not one for hyperbole and I've been a Palace fan long enough to know that misery is just around the corner but I'm confident enough to think that this is our best chance ever. And that's not based on a good away opening win.
I got my one wish of seeing us in an FA cup final (twice) which I never thought would happen in my lifetime so Europe it is!
The closest I've come to Palace in Europe is the Inter friendly and The Partick Thistle visit to Selhurst of '73 where I nearly had my head smashed in by a bottle thrown by a sweraty when I was 9 and stood at the front of The New Stand.
I deserve it.
We all do.
Closest you came to Europe was 1990 season:
"Third place in the league went to Crystal Palace, who occupied their highest-ever finish, but were denied qualification for the UEFA Cup due to Liverpool being readmitted to European competition a year earlier than anticipated."

Wright then left at end of season - such a shame.

Benteke will never start scoring regularly again and Wickham wont play and perform at top level again.

(living in hope!)

**** it whilst we are at it; we wont qualify for Europe this season 18/19
Old 11-08-2018, 09:54 PM

Sodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by plectrum View Post
Closest you came to Europe was 1990 season:
"Third place in the league went to Crystal Palace, who occupied their highest-ever finish, but were denied qualification for the UEFA Cup due to Liverpool being readmitted to European competition a year earlier than anticipated."

Wright then left at end of season - such a shame.
Wright didn't leave end of season, he played 7 or 8 games for us the next season