Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter
 
CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2041  
Old 24-07-2016, 07:59 AM
eagle-leg's Avatar
eagle-leg eagle-leg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Croydon
Posts: 2,741
Rep Power: 18163510
eagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle-leg came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacea View Post
Interesting article in the Guardian.

EU considers migration ‘emergency brake’ for UK for up to seven years


To view the link you have to Register or Login
Also found these quotes interesting in a seperate article.

Oliver Zander, director general of the Federation of German Employers’ Associations in the Metal and Electrical Engineering Industries, told a German news agency: “There has to be balance between the interest of the business community, to keep the British as integrated as possible, and the wish of the UK to adapt free movement.

“The German metal and electrical engineering industries deliver more than £46billion worth of products to the UK each year. We should do everything to prevent a rupture. Otherwise we only damage each other.”
_______________

Foreign Office Minister Tobias Ellwood, who accompanied Mr Johnson to a global summit on terror in Washington last week, said: “It was a very successful trip where everyone seemed very receptive to our plans for Britain’s future.

“Obviously it’s early days and we need to be realistic – leaving the EU is not going to be a straightforward process but the simple fact is other countries want to do business with us.

“Boris was given a very warm welcome by his foreign counterparts. His first week in office has been somewhat of a baptism of fire with Nice, Turkey, US Secretary of State John Kerry’s visit and then Washington and New York but he’s getting stuck into the job"
Reply With Quote
  #2042  
Old 24-07-2016, 08:04 AM
Jason Jason is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: South London
Posts: 4,686
Rep Power: 21474856
Jason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacea View Post
Interesting article in the Guardian.

EU considers migration ‘emergency brake’ for UK for up to seven years


To view the link you have to Register or Login
So effectively EEA with restrictions on free movement ?. Well if (and only if) single market access included keeping the current arrangements for the city, that certainly wouldn't be the end of the world imho, and is probably very close to a "best case scenario" for what brexit could look like.

The only question I would ask, is if that kind of deal is on offer, surely it would (political considerations aside, which could surely be resolved our end by a second referendum ?) be better for everyone if we just stay in the EU and keep the influence that goes with that in terms of negotiating position etc ?.
Reply With Quote
  #2043  
Old 24-07-2016, 08:10 AM
Adlerhorst's Avatar
Adlerhorst Adlerhorst is offline
Happy Felix Day!
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hertfordshire
Age: 41
Posts: 60,914
Rep Power: 21474851
Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
So effectively EEA with restrictions on free movement ?. Well if (and only if) single market access included keeping the current arrangements for the city, that certainly wouldn't be the end of the world imho, and is probably very close to a "best case scenario" for what brexit could look like.

The only question I would ask, is if that kind of deal is on offer, surely it would (political considerations aside, which could surely be resolved our end by a second referendum ?) be better for everyone if we just stay in the EU and keep the influence that goes with that in terms of negotiating position etc ?.
Given where we find ourselves, yes probably least worst, but a little bonkers as it would undoubtedly mean contributions to the EU would increase (we're highly unlikely to get the benefits of the rebate in any EEA contribution calculation). In return we get a potential to suspend one of the four fundamental freedoms in exceptional circumstances. This is fine, but even within the EU countries suspended the four fundamental freedoms in exceptional circumstances already (see Cyprus and Greece and capital controls for instance). So we're giving up our right to be involved in the discussion around the rules, and paying more money for something we arguably had already.
__________________
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Reply With Quote
  #2044  
Old 24-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Jason Jason is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: South London
Posts: 4,686
Rep Power: 21474856
Jason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
Given where we find ourselves, yes probably least worst, but a little bonkers as it would undoubtedly mean contributions to the EU would increase (we're highly unlikely to get the benefits of the rebate in any EEA contribution calculation). In return we get a potential to suspend one of the four fundamental freedoms in exceptional circumstances. This is fine, but even within the EU countries suspended the four fundamental freedoms in exceptional circumstances already (see Cyprus and Greece and capital controls for instance). So we're giving up our right to be involved in the discussion around the rules, and paying more money for something we arguably had already.
All true of course, hence my comment that it surely makes more sense to just stay in the EU. But if the politics makes it impossible to do the logical thing (and the referendum result and the need to ensure that "Brexit means Brexit" means it may well do) then this is would surely be a very good outcome relative to the alternative scenarios.
Reply With Quote
  #2045  
Old 24-07-2016, 08:23 AM
Maz's Avatar
Maz Maz is offline
Semper Idem
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: A place where nothing ever happens.
Posts: 152,913
Rep Power: 21474853
Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Indeed. Not for nothing does Peter etc.....
Not really the original quote.

It was a fine thread though.
__________________
..
..G
abba Gabba Hey

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ


Reply With Quote
  #2046  
Old 24-07-2016, 08:28 AM
cdm61 cdm61 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: selhurst
Posts: 11,689
Rep Power: 21474856
cdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is here
If they offered EU membership with a 7 year break on migration then would that deliver for the Leavers? Or could it be put to another referendum....?
Reply With Quote
  #2047  
Old 24-07-2016, 08:38 AM
El Aguila's Avatar
El Aguila El Aguila is offline
Middle class left.
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: On Green Dolphin Street.
Age: 54
Posts: 44,115
Rep Power: 21474854
El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Not really the original quote.

It was a fine thread though.
Can you point me to the dinner jacket thread? Wcb has come over all coy.
__________________
Salt Peanuts! Salt Peanuts!
Reply With Quote
  #2048  
Old 24-07-2016, 08:41 AM
Maz's Avatar
Maz Maz is offline
Semper Idem
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: A place where nothing ever happens.
Posts: 152,913
Rep Power: 21474853
Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Can you point me to the dinner jacket thread? Wcb has come over all coy.
It's his job, not mine, I'm afraid. He is the BBS Archivist.
__________________
..
..G
abba Gabba Hey

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ


Reply With Quote
  #2049  
Old 24-07-2016, 08:56 AM
El Aguila's Avatar
El Aguila El Aguila is offline
Middle class left.
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: On Green Dolphin Street.
Age: 54
Posts: 44,115
Rep Power: 21474854
El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
The BBS is a cruel mistress.
__________________
Salt Peanuts! Salt Peanuts!
Reply With Quote
  #2050  
Old 24-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Biggineagle's Avatar
Biggineagle Biggineagle is offline
Banned by Moderators
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Proud Coney Hall Village Inhabitant.
Posts: 37,524
Rep Power: 14074249
Biggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle-leg View Post
Also found these quotes interesting in a seperate article.

Oliver Zander, director general of the Federation of German Employers’ Associations in the Metal and Electrical Engineering Industries, told a German news agency: “There has to be balance between the interest of the business community, to keep the British as integrated as possible, and the wish of the UK to adapt free movement.

“The German metal and electrical engineering industries deliver more than £46billion worth of products to the UK each year. We should do everything to prevent a rupture. Otherwise we only damage each other.”
_______________

Foreign Office Minister Tobias Ellwood, who accompanied Mr Johnson to a global summit on terror in Washington last week, said: “It was a very successful trip where everyone seemed very receptive to our plans for Britain’s future.

“Obviously it’s early days and we need to be realistic – leaving the EU is not going to be a straightforward process but the simple fact is other countries want to do business with us.

“Boris was given a very warm welcome by his foreign counterparts. His first week in office has been somewhat of a baptism of fire with Nice, Turkey, US Secretary of State John Kerry’s visit and then Washington and New York but he’s getting stuck into the job"
Not adapt it a tad. Get rid. Good to see the EU slowly coming round to UK position tho.
__________________
London is lost. Cheers Khan. Go NOW
A Good Old Fashioned Palace Supporter since 1963
Delete Article 13
"WE LEAVE THE EU MARCH 2019"


Last edited by Biggineagle; 24-07-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2051  
Old 24-07-2016, 09:22 AM
rhino_mik's Avatar
rhino_mik rhino_mik is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Larndan
Posts: 7,425
Rep Power: 21474850
rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
All true of course, hence my comment that it surely makes more sense to just stay in the EU. But if the politics makes it impossible to do the logical thing (and the referendum result and the need to ensure that "Brexit means Brexit" means it may well do) then this is would surely be a very good outcome relative to the alternative scenarios.
Pyrrhic.
__________________
,
Reply With Quote
  #2052  
Old 24-07-2016, 09:31 AM
SA Eagle's Avatar
SA Eagle SA Eagle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Here, There, Every*******where
Age: 48
Posts: 7,607
Rep Power: 21474851
SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Britain faces exclusion from one of the glowing successes of European Union membership: a university study programme that has benefited tens of thousands of British young people and many more from the EU visiting Britain.


Exclusion from Erasmus would also have what one vice-chancellor called “a stunning impact” on university finances, alongside the crisis facing funds for science, research and other grants. There are 120,000 students from EU countries at UK universities, of which 27,401 are through Erasmus with their fees paid by the EU.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
__________________
As you type you don't realise that you are crying until you feel and see the tears on your hands.
Reply With Quote
  #2053  
Old 24-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Maz's Avatar
Maz Maz is offline
Semper Idem
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: A place where nothing ever happens.
Posts: 152,913
Rep Power: 21474853
Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_mik View Post
Pyrrhic.
Nah. At least in a Pyrrhic victory you win something!
__________________
..
..G
abba Gabba Hey

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ


Reply With Quote
  #2054  
Old 24-07-2016, 10:13 AM
mik59's Avatar
mik59 mik59 is offline
Wagon Painter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Another 'C' town
Age: 59
Posts: 32,180
Rep Power: 21474853
mik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
So effectively EEA with restrictions on free movement ?
One issue there is that I think to be in the EEA (as we are now) you either have to be in the EU or EFTA. So if we did leave the EU then EFTA would have to let us join them & I'm not sure that's a given as it wasn't designed for big economies. Not ruling it out, just wondering whether Norway & Iceland would balk at the idea of their club becoming a bit lopsided.
__________________
Where am I goin'? I don't know. When will I be there? I ain't certain. What will I get? I ain't equipped to say.
Reply With Quote
  #2055  
Old 24-07-2016, 10:21 AM
anti-addick's Avatar
anti-addick anti-addick is offline
Die seife bitte fräulein!
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gloucestershire
Age: 46
Posts: 27,070
Rep Power: 21260108
anti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Well, their offspring are clearly such wankers it is hard to think of too many reasons why the pensioner grandparents should make a vote just to please them....
I blame the parents.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz
And you changed SP. :)
Reply With Quote
  #2056  
Old 24-07-2016, 10:26 AM
palacea's Avatar
palacea palacea is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,861
Rep Power: 21260094
palacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik59 View Post
One issue there is that I think to be in the EEA (as we are now) you either have to be in the EU or EFTA. So if we did leave the EU then EFTA would have to let us join them & I'm not sure that's a given as it wasn't designed for big economies. Not ruling it out, just wondering whether Norway & Iceland would balk at the idea of their club becoming a bit lopsided.
Not designed for big economies?
Balk?

We were founding members of it. I'd take it as a given.
Reply With Quote
  #2057  
Old 24-07-2016, 10:30 AM
palacea's Avatar
palacea palacea is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,861
Rep Power: 21260094
palacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
EFTA;
In the first meeting since the Brexit vote, the EFTA organisation reacted by saying they were open to a UK return. Swiss President Johann Schneider-Ammann told reporters that its return would strengthen the association
Reply With Quote
  #2058  
Old 24-07-2016, 10:45 AM
the drexciyan the drexciyan is offline
techno sapiens
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12,337
Rep Power: 21474842
the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
Britain faces exclusion from one of the glowing successes of European Union membership: a university study programme that has benefited tens of thousands of British young people and many more from the EU visiting Britain.


Exclusion from Erasmus would also have what one vice-chancellor called “a stunning impact” on university finances, alongside the crisis facing funds for science, research and other grants. There are 120,000 students from EU countries at UK universities, of which 27,401 are through Erasmus with their fees paid by the EU.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Don't expect much of a response from the education-hating leavers on here.
__________________
© SOUTH LONDON PRODUCTIONS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Reply With Quote
  #2059  
Old 24-07-2016, 11:29 AM
bodger bodger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,229
Rep Power: 10996537
bodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbodger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
Britain faces exclusion from one of the glowing successes of European Union membership: a university study programme that has benefited tens of thousands of British young people and many more from the EU visiting Britain.


Exclusion from Erasmus would also have what one vice-chancellor called “a stunning impact” on university finances, alongside the crisis facing funds for science, research and other grants. There are 120,000 students from EU countries at UK universities, of which 27,401 are through Erasmus with their fees paid by the EU.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
As we are givers to the EU we are paying for this and any other EU projects.
Reply With Quote
  #2060  
Old 24-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Baffled Bob 2 Baffled Bob 2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 53
Posts: 10,626
Rep Power: 21474850
Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik59 View Post
One issue there is that I think to be in the EEA (as we are now) you either have to be in the EU or EFTA. So if we did leave the EU then EFTA would have to let us join them & I'm not sure that's a given as it wasn't designed for big economies.
Many years ago of course but weren't we in it at the beginning?
__________________
Uncontroversial Signature
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 13 (12 members and 1 guests)
Palace_Akie, Bozzi, chelmsfordeagle, Cambridge Eagle, legaleagle2, EagleSE24, SKATE, RazorsEdge, Johnybegood, PalaceForever, Raggy
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.