Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:30 AM

Green Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by EryrExile View Post
Don't be ridiculous.
Or we just stick with the misfiring, disinterested Benteke for the rest of the season until we get relegated. We could try something different it might just work, even for a couple of games, if it doesn't at least we know. We all hope that Benteke will turn it around, after the Leicester game I hoped that was the turning point, but no. Opposition teams must love facing him, he shows no fight whatsoever and has no pace. The Jerome/Chamakh combination of the Pulis era was more threatening.

Why sign players and run a academy if we aren't prepared use them. Someone can have the pedigree, but if they show no fight, or guile or focus then they are next to useless.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:39 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lombardi View Post
Through the medium of SIGHT.

His startling lack of effort is all the evidence I need.
So if he'd scored all the numerous chances he should have, and been on something like 10-15 goals already, you'd still think he had no commitment to the club (well, let's just say less commitment than the average professional footballer has towards any club, because it's not clear what level of commitment you expect)
Old 12-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
I often read that Benteke is 'disinterested'. What does this mean, exactly?
Old 12-02-2018, 10:42 AM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble Wrap View Post
Sorloth reminds me of Bamford. Hope he does better than he did.
Really? He looks as much like Bamford as Bambi looks like Wolverine.

sorry wrong way round .. As Wolverine looks like Bambi.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:43 AM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneaglee View Post
The only similarity is the hair.
Sorloth's got better hair (hope you're reading this Bamford).
Old 12-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Very young thick c vnt

Kirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is hereKirby Sam the man is here
I can understand the comparisons with Bamford in terms of looks (if Bamford was on steroids), but that's where it ends.

Sorloth did more in 90 minutes on Saturday than Bamford's done in four years.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:22 AM

whereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
I often read that Benteke is 'disinterested'. What does this mean, exactly?
Doesn't chase down lost balls does he.

Put's in enough effort to win the most headers in European football though
Old 12-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Benevolence personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereEaglesFly View Post
Doesn't chase down lost balls does he.

Put's in enough effort to win the most headers in European football though
I think the only change in him that is beyond doubt is that he's missing chances that he should be, and in the past was, putting away.

The other stuff is debatable, and dare I say it, perhaps rolled up in the catch-all desire to find blame for the terrible disgrace of this season, for which victims and punishment must be found
Old 12-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Get the f* off my Cloud!!

Scifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was a bit harsh on him after the game. Rewatching the highlights I had forgotten about when he completely knocked Managla off the ball. If we can expect more of that from him I would be very happy
Old 12-02-2018, 11:54 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Feed the scape goat and he will score.

Eventually.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:49 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
I think the only change in him that is beyond doubt is that he's missing chances that he should be, and in the past was, putting away.

The other stuff is debatable, and dare I say it, perhaps rolled up in the catch-all desire to find blame for the terrible disgrace of this season, for which victims and punishment must be found
You're right to say the only real difference in Benteke is that he is missing his chances. His build up play remains good and he laid off a couple of headers in the box that an aggressive, advanced midfielder might have gotten onto, if we had such players.

But we are past making excuses now. His confidence is shot. He's the kind that doesn't show it on his face but his actions say a lot -such as when he took over the penalty against Luka.

It still remains the club's fault that we have so few alternative attacking player options and our style still relies basically on either Wilf running past players or Benteke nutting the ball. Another striker and an AM worth talking about. That was all we needed. Hardly rocket science. In a way, we would have done both ourselves and Benteke a favour by dropping him at some point this season but the club made that impossible.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:54 PM
This was a triumph.....

red&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCharmer1 View Post
Good debut. Let’s hope he doesn’t play wide left every game though. He was even better as a striker with benteke
He can play wide left he's played there for his club sides (I'm assuming as an inside forward).
Old 12-02-2018, 01:00 PM
This was a triumph.....

red&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietred&blue_moomin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Is there any evidence of this, or has it simply been repeated ad nauseum on the BBS until it's become 'fact'?
Don't forget a lot of our fans like a striker who runs around a lot. We've had some proper shit strikers over the years especially since we came back up. Even being rubbish this season and well below what we know he can do benteke has done about as well as most of our previous strikers in the prem with a couple of assists and a couple of goals and he's won a couple of penalties as well I think (definately one though).
Old 12-02-2018, 01:09 PM
This was a triumph.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE View Post
You're right to say the only real difference in Benteke is that he is missing his chances. His build up play remains good and he laid off a couple of headers in the box that an aggressive, advanced midfielder might have gotten onto, if we had such players.

But we are past making excuses now. His confidence is shot. He's the kind that doesn't show it on his face but his actions say a lot -such as when he took over the penalty against Luka.

It still remains the club's fault that we have so few alternative attacking player options and our style still relies basically on either Wilf running past players or Benteke nutting the ball. Another striker and an AM worth talking about. That was all we needed. Hardly rocket science. In a way, we would have done both ourselves and Benteke a favour by dropping him at some point this season but the club made that impossible.
Creating chances is not the issue we've mostly been creating enough under Hodgson. Defending/goal keeping is and accuracy in front of the net is. We had sixteen odd shots at Everton. Most of them off target and we conceded three of Evertons five on target. How does an AM help that? We can't get the bloody basics right and baring a few little spells in the last five years it has been a perennial issue.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:14 PM
Benevolence personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin View Post
Don't forget a lot of our fans like a striker who runs around a lot. We've had some proper shit strikers over the years especially since we came back up. Even being rubbish this season and well below what we know he can do benteke has done about as well as most of our previous strikers in the prem with a couple of assists and a couple of goals and he's won a couple of penalties as well I think (definately one though).
Yes, I sense that if Benteke had put away the majority of the chances he should have this season, people wouldn't be mentioning this stuff.

Which leads to the conclusion that he's deliberately missing these chances in order to achieve something sinister?
Old 12-02-2018, 01:24 PM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
Feed the scape goat and he will score.

Eventually.
Wouldn't count on it.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:36 PM
This was a triumph.....

Quote:
Yes, I sense that if Benteke had put away the majority of the chances he should have this season, people wouldn't be mentioning this stuff.

Which leads to the conclusion that he's deliberately missing these chances in order to achieve something sinister?
I just think we are not creating the sort of chances he thrives off. He's got decent enough feet and can win a ball up top but really he's better charging late into the box and hitting a towering header in or making space for himself to get the jump on a defender.

BFS pretty much let Wilf and CB do what they wanted as long as they were in certain areas of the pitch and the wingers either stuck close to him or went out wide to cross it. Roy I think is much more prescriptive about what you can and can't do and does'nt really seem to do 'complete wingers' how many crosses are actually from the touchline now (not many) any that do come in are from the channels but our full backs don't overlap. We are far more likely to go for the edge of the 18 yard box and either put the ball into the box on the deck or turn and attempt to drive into it which is great if you cause confusion in the box, wins a penalty or pulls defenders out of position but not so great if it nullifies your only strikers (up until now) biggest threat.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Benevolence personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue_moomin View Post
I just think we are not creating the sort of chances he thrives off. He's got decent enough feet and can win a ball up top but really he's better charging late into the box and hitting a towering header in or making space for himself to get the jump on a defender.

BFS pretty much let Wilf and CB do what they wanted as long as they were in certain areas of the pitch and the wingers either stuck close to him or went out wide to cross it. Roy I think is much more prescriptive about what you can and can't do and does'nt really seem to do 'complete wingers' how many crosses are actually from the touchline now (not many) any that do come in are from the channels but our full backs don't overlap. We are far more likely to go for the edge of the 18 yard box and either put the ball into the box on the deck or turn and attempt to drive into it which is great if you cause confusion in the box, wins a penalty or pulls defenders out of position but not so great if it nullifies your only strikers (up until now) biggest threat.
You may well be right, but personally I think if you were to freeze the point at which he gets the ball in isolation and analyse the scoring opportunity, you'd say most of the time it should be hitting the back of the net most of the time, regardless of who the player is.

I think there's little doubting that. What is unclear is whether it's 'disinterest' and 'lack of commitment' that is fuelling this funk. That just seems to be another BBS mantra gaining momentum through repetition.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:41 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
He's young, and he's going to be raw. But what particularly impressed me was his workrate and defensive ability in the tackle, as well as aerial ability in both boxes. To me, he should play wide left, allowed to go forwards and into the box when we are on the attack, and track back when we don't have the ball.

We've had Schlupp, McArthur and RLC who have tried their luck on the left in Roy's 4-4-2. Sorloth is the best fit for that role. Zaha to continue up front for his pace on the counter, and he can always drift out to the left to allow Sorloth to join Benteke when required. But I see AS playing left side midfield/attack for this season at least.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:08 PM

Green Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreen Bin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post
He's young, and he's going to be raw. But what particularly impressed me was his workrate and defensive ability in the tackle, as well as aerial ability in both boxes. To me, he should play wide left, allowed to go forwards and into the box when we are on the attack, and track back when we don't have the ball.

We've had Schlupp, McArthur and RLC who have tried their luck on the left in Roy's 4-4-2. Sorloth is the best fit for that role. Zaha to continue up front for his pace on the counter, and he can always drift out to the left to allow Sorloth to join Benteke when required. But I see AS playing left side midfield/attack for this season at least.
Sounds like RLC's replacement then...shame as we needed another striker