Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 29-01-2014, 01:31 PM

richdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The 08.09 from Sanderstead to Victoria is the bain of my life. I don't think it made it on time to Victoria since the summer, constantly either sat outside East Croydon or Clapham for 10-15 minutes almost every single day.

I don't see how they can renew their franchise in 2015, almost every single service is shocking.

Has got to the point now where I am considering leaving half hour earlier than I do now to catch the earlier train so that I am not late for work every single day.
Old 29-01-2014, 01:34 PM

chav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Slightly biased of course, but ironically the trains at London Bridge have been delayed a lot more since they closed three platforms, yet still run the same services when Platforms 14-16 were open. Coincidence?!

It doesn't just effect the public... It took me 55 minutes to get from Sutton to Selhurst on Saturday a journey which normally takes 17 minutes.
The lack of co-ordination etc. between different bodies is part of the problem.

Do you get free transport, just out of interest?
Old 29-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
The TSGN Franchise is announced in May this year. The five companies asked to submit bids were:

GoVia - Southern, Southeastern, London Midland, Gatwick Express

First - FCC FGW, First Scot Rail etc etc

Stage Coach - South West Trains, East Midland Trains

Abellio - Merseyrail, Northern, Greater Anglia

MTR - London Overground

Last edited by Latvian Eagle; 29-01-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 29-01-2014, 01:38 PM

billy_gilberts_hammer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebilly_gilberts_hammer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebilly_gilberts_hammer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebilly_gilberts_hammer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebilly_gilberts_hammer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebilly_gilberts_hammer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebilly_gilberts_hammer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebilly_gilberts_hammer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebilly_gilberts_hammer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebilly_gilberts_hammer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebilly_gilberts_hammer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Must be local surburban routes into London Bridge & Victoria that are the problem. I commute every day from deepest Sussex into London Bridge for the past 30 years and the service now is far and away better than it has ever been. Trains are clean, bright, air conditioned in the summer, warm in the winter. On the odd occassions there are problems there is much more information available about likely delays and alternative routes. I use the email/text alert services provided by National Rail to monitor the trains I use morning and evening to advise of any problems. If there are problems it allows me time to plan alternative routes, later trains or decide to work from home/work later in the office. And the staff are far more customer friendly than they ever were under the nationalised system. In those days it was like you were using their own private railway and they did not want the public on it, everything was geared to what suited drivers and staff rather than people that were using it as a service.

Never want to go back to nationalised railways.
Old 29-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Sir Roy

TheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is here
Certainly been a shambles since the turn of the year.

My main issue with them is a couple of times this year I have turned up to catch the 07.06 from Wallington to London Bridge to find the departure boards saying 'Delayed'...then come 07.06 the board shows 'Cancelled'.

Now maybe I'm missing something here, but as the service is scheduled to start at Epsom, 15 mins down the line, either the train has left the station on time, or it isn't running at all?

A couple of times the train has even been displayed as running on time and hasn't shown up.
Old 29-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMexicanHorse View Post
Certainly been a shambles since the turn of the year.

My main issue with them is a couple of times this year I have turned up to catch the 07.06 from Wallington to London Bridge to find the departure boards saying 'Delayed'...then come 07.06 the board shows 'Cancelled'.

Now maybe I'm missing something here, but as the service is scheduled to start at Epsom, 15 mins down the line, either the train has left the station on time, or it isn't running at all?

A couple of times the train has even been displayed as running on time and hasn't shown up.
I would hazard a guess that the train was "delayed" as it would be late, and the fact it is "cancelled" is probably because they decide to run it fast, thus not stopping at Wallington? Last night going to the game the service was an all stops to Victoria which was altered to stop at West Croydon, Selhurst, Clapham and Victoria only.
Old 29-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Sir Roy

TheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is here
Quote:
I would hazard a guess that the train was "delayed" as it would be late, and the fact it is "cancelled" is probably because they decide to run it fast, thus not stopping at Wallington? Last night going to the game the service was an all stops to Victoria which was altered to stop at West Croydon, Selhurst, Clapham and Victoria only.
Nope, according to the guy at the gates when he rings control the 'cancelled/delayed' train has not even left Epsom.

I accept delays will occur, and for what I pay, I don't think the service is *that* bad, certainly the shiny new trains that have come into service in the south London metro area are a welcome addition, its just the lack of communication which needs rapid improvement.
Old 29-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Quote:
Nope, according to the guy at the gates when he rings control the 'cancelled/delayed' train has not even left Epsom.

I accept delays will occur, and for what I pay, I don't think the service is *that* bad, certainly the shiny new trains that have come into service in the south London metro area are a welcome addition, its just the lack of communication which needs rapid improvement.
Those shiny new trains have fewer seats - that's confirmed by Southern on their twitter account.

I've just got £21.80 worth of delay repay vouchers where I was delayed for more than 2 and a half hours on two journeys. If you have a travelcard they take the piss and give you something like £0.80 because they presume you make x number of journeys a month on it and divide it.

Absolute shambles, trains routinely get delayed because they're waiting for other trains. Even when it's a few minutes the delay can cause a knock on of about an hour for me.

If we can winter this one out, we can summer anywhere

Last edited by Woosie; 10-06-2022 at 03:04 PM.
Old 29-01-2014, 02:05 PM

kolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is here
In the States, when my 21 hour train journey was 1 hour late (so, 4.75% of the journey time late), I got $35 of my $60 back from the company.

Here, my train can be 29 minutes late (so, 83% of the journey time late) and I get zero compensation
Old 29-01-2014, 02:07 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by richdeniro View Post
The 08.09 from Sanderstead to Victoria is the bain of my life. I don't think it made it on time to Victoria since the summer, constantly either sat outside East Croydon or Clapham for 10-15 minutes almost every single day.

I don't see how they can renew their franchise in 2015, almost every single service is shocking.

Has got to the point now where I am considering leaving half hour earlier than I do now to catch the earlier train so that I am not late for work every single day.
Same train I try to get on. There have been times when it's been so busy that I've not been able to get on. It's laughable.

I've been making a diary of how late my trains have been.

The Delay Repay is a joke if you have a year travel card on an Oyster. They don't tell you what you need to complete. When you complete it wrong, they write to tell you that it has been completed incorrectly but not why.

On 28th December (Man City away) the first train of the day from Sanderstead was cancelled so I had to get a taxi. They told me they wouldn't do a refund because I hadn't provided a proof of my train journey. They just seem to ignore the fact I didn't get a train in the end because there was no train to get.
Old 29-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Sir Roy

I'm sure someone can help me here but regarding trains I thought it was the department of Transport who are responsible for the selection/design of new rolling stock?

I don't think strictly that's a Southern Railway fault, I'd say nine times out of ten I got a seat, worst ways its a sub 25 min journey so standing occasionally is not the end of the world. I'm more concerned with the train being on time.
Old 29-01-2014, 02:19 PM
A Bit Ranty Today!

Scroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Over here in the South West the departure boards display 'On Time' until the service is at least ten minutes behind it's due time, but that just reflects the slightly more laid back approach to life :-)
Old 29-01-2014, 02:19 PM

Sidney Kickit : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSidney Kickit : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSidney Kickit : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSidney Kickit : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSidney Kickit : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSidney Kickit : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSidney Kickit : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSidney Kickit : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSidney Kickit : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSidney Kickit : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSidney Kickit : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Service on the Southern run Brighton mainline has been shocking for the last 3 - 6 months, in fact as bad as I can remember since the days of the 'slam door' specials in the late 90's.

Delay Repay is a must for any regular commuter in phases like this. Even though you can't claim until a 30 minute delay is incurred, I have probably offset the 5% rise in the past 3 months. Was most fed up that the 7 day closure between Xmas and New Year could not be claimed because the revised service was 'advertised' and therefore not 'delayed' despite taking 2 - 2.5 hours each way on repalcement bus via East Grinstead.

People with long term season tickets should have their renewals adjusted on overall performance on their routes.
Old 29-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Quote:
I'm sure someone can help me here but regarding trains I thought it was the department of Transport who are responsible for the selection/design of new rolling stock?

I don't think strictly that's a Southern Railway fault, I'd say nine times out of ten I got a seat, worst ways its a sub 25 min journey so standing occasionally is not the end of the world. I'm more concerned with the train being on time.
You are correct, the DfT tell the TOCs what stock they are getting. They sent all the old GatEx 460s to SWTs to chop up and make into 5 car 458s, and left Southern withe clunky, very old 442s.

The FCC 319s which were Southerns (the ones you still see running around in green) are going to Northern rail, and the FCC 377/5s are sub let from Southern (hence why they are green inside).
Old 29-01-2014, 02:28 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Quote:
I agree... but when my train is 15/20 minutes late a seat wouldn't go amiss!
Old 29-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
I agree... but when my train is 15/20 minutes late a seat wouldn't go amiss!
The trouble with that is that if a train is delayed you then get people who intend to get a later train then getting on the earlier ones.
Old 29-01-2014, 02:34 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Slightly biased of course, but ironically the trains at London Bridge have been delayed a lot more since they closed three platforms, yet still run the same services when Platforms 14-16 were open. Coincidence?!

It doesn't just effect the public... It took me 55 minutes to get from Sutton to Selhurst on Saturday a journey which normally takes 17 minutes.

This certainly hasn't helped matters though they have slightly reduced services, the London Bridge to Victoria via Denmark Hill services no longer run, though this only accounts for two trains an hour in each direction. I work as a signaller based at London Bridge, on the rare occasions when the service is running well it works fine with two missing platforms as trains are no longer booked to berth there for hours at a time, there is less splitting and joining and less front train working. However when things go up the creek it means there is absolutely no flexibility and delays mount up very quickly.

Platforms 14 and 15 are due to be back in use in March but we will then lose 12/13. I was talking to some people involved in the ongoing work a couple of weeks ago, they were saying that once those platforms come back in to use they intend to take a block every Friday afternoon from 16:00 which will take the new platforms back out of use, which means that we will be down to just four platforms instead of nine on the Southern side from Friday afternoon through the evening peak until the start of service on Monday morning.

There are plans to close the Southern side completely for a week from 23rd to 30th August and two weeks over Christmas/New Year (20th December to 4th January), this means no Southern services at all to London Bridge.

From December 2014 to 2018 there will be no Thameslink services at all to London Bridge.

The South Eastern side will be hit from next year, the plan is that from Jan 2015 to Aug 2016 Charing Cross services will not call at London Bridge. August 2016 to 2018 Cannon Street services will not be calling at London Bridge.

The work is due to be complete in 2018.

More info in the Thameslink programme's website:

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 29-01-2014, 02:35 PM
South London and proud

croydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I blame Holloway
Old 29-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_gilberts_hammer View Post
Must be local surburban routes into London Bridge & Victoria that are the problem. I commute every day from deepest Sussex into London Bridge for the past 30 years and the service now is far and away better than it has ever been. Trains are clean, bright, air conditioned in the summer, warm in the winter. On the odd occassions there are problems there is much more information available about likely delays and alternative routes. I use the email/text alert services provided by National Rail to monitor the trains I use morning and evening to advise of any problems. If there are problems it allows me time to plan alternative routes, later trains or decide to work from home/work later in the office. And the staff are far more customer friendly than they ever were under the nationalised system. In those days it was like you were using their own private railway and they did not want the public on it, everything was geared to what suited drivers and staff rather than people that were using it as a service.

Never want to go back to nationalised railways.
And guess what? All those positives listed are also available on the East Coast Main Line. Which is nationalised.
Old 29-01-2014, 02:38 PM
CMAM

jone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjone-zee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychokiller View Post
And guess what? All those positives listed are also available on the East Coast Main Line. Which is nationalised.
You cant use it much then

Mayor of CarshaltON