Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 30-01-2014, 04:01 PM

kolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is here
Absolute shambles at Redhill the other day.

The 7.54 to Victoria (12 carriages), 8.02 to Victoria (8 carriages), 8.09 to Bedford (8 carriages), 8.18 to Victoria (12 carriages) and 8.30 to London Bridge (4, yes carriages for a peak time train) all cancelled.

Was walking up the platform and there was a 4 carriage Redhill – Reigate train sat there. I heard over the walkie talkie that a platform member of staff was told that train would run to London Bridge so I got on. They then announced it on the train and everyone already on got off. They then announced it on the platform and then 44 carriage worth of commuters tried to pile onto this train.

Announced that the train would be calling at Coulsdon South, Purley, East Croydon and London Bridge.

It ran fast, non-stop, to London Bridge

Worked out for me – I had a seat and got to where I wanted to go, but a shambles for everyone else.
Old 30-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Ichiro!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Yay for FCC. Very good where I am and found something valuable I accidentally left on the train.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 30-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Still Lurking the BBS

Stanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
After quite a few years now of running quite a reliable, punctual and "cancellation free" service things started to go down hill again last year.
I've had a couple of trains cancelled already this year and I only travel a couple of times a week.

Connections? They disappeared with British Rail.
Old 30-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Still Lurking the BBS

Stanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jone-zee View Post
God knows how We coped back in the day
As schoolboys we learnt all the head codes.
Old 30-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Dazed & Confused

bert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Boy View Post
As schoolboys we learnt all the head codes.
Thank you. I had completely forgotten about that! I am trying to remember some of the numbers now but the old brain is fried.
I came and set fire to your shed
Old 30-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Dazed & Confused

bert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by richdeniro View Post
Has got to the point now where I am considering leaving half hour earlier than I do now to catch the earlier train so that I am not late for work every single day.
That's pretty radical thinking man.
I came and set fire to your shed
Old 30-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post
Recently I've been on a couple of trains which have been cancelled mid-journey because of 'lack of available train crew'. Presumably they hop on and off and passengers are normally none the wiser - unless the second driver hasn't turned up? Either that, or the driver which has taken us as far as Norwood spontaneously combusted.

I'm usually a fan of Southern, but they have been utter shit these past few months, and by no means can the London Bridge rebuild be blamed for all these occasions. I've put in six Delay Repay submissions since the week before Christmas, the point at which I got so pissed off I started to try and get my dues.

The latest fun is the introduction of the longer trains for the Caterham/Tattenham lines. You'd think this would be a good idea, but they haven't updated the electronic announcements, so I've seen plenty of people who thought (and had been told) they were in the Tattenham portion suddenly panic when they realise they're on the way to Caterham! That's pretty poor by Southern not to get that right.
Drivers change a lot. Usually at Selhurst, Norwood or Purley.

Usually Caterham is the front (1-4, or 1-5) Tattenham the rear (5-8 or 6-10). I take it this was not the case in the example you have given?
Old 30-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolinkins View Post
Absolute shambles at Redhill the other day.

The 7.54 to Victoria (12 carriages), 8.02 to Victoria (8 carriages), 8.09 to Bedford (8 carriages), 8.18 to Victoria (12 carriages) and 8.30 to London Bridge (4, yes carriages for a peak time train) all cancelled.

Was walking up the platform and there was a 4 carriage Redhill – Reigate train sat there. I heard over the walkie talkie that a platform member of staff was told that train would run to London Bridge so I got on. They then announced it on the train and everyone already on got off. They then announced it on the platform and then 44 carriage worth of commuters tried to pile onto this train.

Announced that the train would be calling at Coulsdon South, Purley, East Croydon and London Bridge.

It ran fast, non-stop, to London Bridge

Worked out for me – I had a seat and got to where I wanted to go, but a shambles for everyone else.
But what was the cause of the cancellations?
Old 30-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Play nice now everyone

Fatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is here
London Bridge platform 13 is a shambles with only 3/4 of a platform due to the engineering work.

About twelve foot wide - you are told to stand behind the yellow line (so that's two feet gone), people occupy about the next five feet waiting to get on a train (that's running late). The last five feet you have the people leaving the late running train squeezing out and people squeezing along the platform to get on a train. The last five feet also has puddles of various depths dependant on how much rain we have had that day.

Would it hurt to drill some drainage holes ?
Old 30-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Platform 13 has indeed become a massive pain. And guess what! A train is more likely to leave late as the congestion means a driver takes longer to change ends.
Old 30-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Still Lurking the BBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert head is god View Post
Thank you. I had completely forgotten about that! I am trying to remember some of the numbers now but the old brain is fried.
I'm afraid I can't remember any now as going to school by train was forty odd years ago. We didn't trawl through Ian Allen head code books but merely noted which trains were going where and what the head code was on the front. With daily commuting we worked out quite a lot of the codes and knew which train was ours equally well by the headcode as the station announcements.

Incidentally I recently went through some old VHS tapes I have and on one is a BBC "fly on the wall" documentary about services in and out of Canon Street back in the eighties during tha last cash strapped days of BR. it was called Old, Dirty and Late. One thing that struck me is the total absence of train doors slamming shut at stations which has a sound all of its own and which you obviously don't get nowadays with sliding doors.

Slightly o/t but I found this report about an accident at Norwood Junction whilst trawling for something else.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Last edited by Stanley Boy; 30-01-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 30-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Anything from Milan?

spt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is here
Service has been very poor recently.
Old 30-01-2014, 09:03 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Boy View Post

Incidentally I recently went through some old VHS tapes I have and on one is a BBC "fly on the wall" documentary about services in and out of Canon Street back in the eighties during tha last cash strapped days of BR. it was called Old, Dirty and Late. One thing that struck me is the total absence of train doors slamming shut at stations which has a sound all of its own and which you obviously don't get nowadays with sliding doors.

That documentary can also be found on YouTube, a number of the people featured in that documentary are still working on the railway, I don't know if you remember John, the Mobile Operations Manager who features in it? I work with him from time to time and he still gets stick about the programme on a regular basis.

Link to part one:

Old 30-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Out Here In The Fields

petertaylor11 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpetertaylor11 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpetertaylor11 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpetertaylor11 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpetertaylor11 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpetertaylor11 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpetertaylor11 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpetertaylor11 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpetertaylor11 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpetertaylor11 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpetertaylor11 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert head is god View Post
93 was the Caterham train.
I think Upper Warlingham (Oxted?) was 01 or 88
Old 31-01-2014, 12:23 AM

richdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Average morning service.

Old 31-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Nuclear Member

Selhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by petertaylor11 View Post
93 was the Caterham train.
I think Upper Warlingham (Oxted?) was 01 or 88
Wasn't 4 the Weed fast train?
Old 31-01-2014, 08:10 AM
A Bit Ranty Today!

Scroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScroatey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
You are correct, the DfT tell the TOCs what stock they are getting. They sent all the old GatEx 460s to SWTs to chop up and make into 5 car 458s, and left Southern withe clunky, very old 442s.

The FCC 319s which were Southerns (the ones you still see running around in green) are going to Northern rail, and the FCC 377/5s are sub let from Southern (hence why they are green inside).
EMU porn.
Old 31-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Still Lurking the BBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoz View Post
That documentary can also be found on YouTube, a number of the people featured in that documentary are still working on the railway, I don't know if you remember John, the Mobile Operations Manager who features in it? I work with him from time to time and he still gets stick about the programme on a regular basis.

Link to part one:

Ahh the imfamous John Arthur. I've seen him a few times at London Bridge since that was shown.

I was on a train to Wallington from Victoria which was running half an hour late the other week and at each stop the driver announced that the delays were caused by "incompetence at Clapham Junction".

Last edited by Stanley Boy; 31-01-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 31-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Mind your sandwiches

chatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is here
Anyone received an email about the new Southern Railway App? How kind of them to supply another way of finding out your train is delayed.
Old 31-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Still Lurking the BBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
You are correct, the DfT tell the TOCs what stock they are getting. They sent all the old GatEx 460s to SWTs to chop up and make into 5 car 458s, and left Southern withe clunky, very old 442s.

The FCC 319s which were Southerns (the ones you still see running around in green) are going to Northern rail, and the FCC 377/5s are sub let from Southern (hence why they are green inside).
319s were the glorious BedPan trains. (Bedford to StPancras).