Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 07-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
Southern have been playing guess the number of carriages all this week.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:29 PM

chav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
What's really starting to get to me is the arrogance with which Southern, and railway staff in general, treat the people who pay their wages. I can't believe more haven't been assaulted.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:32 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin eagle View Post
I dunno if there is a statistic to back this up, but we run a lot of diesel trains up here, which arent reliant on an electrical supply and so can often run to time, even if an engine cuts out. We have electric trains on other lines as well, but when a train brings the wires down or there is a fault with the supply, the diesels can get people close to where they need to go. Obviously they arent as environmentally friendly though, going through queen street tunnel is like smoking 20 fags in 2 minutes It doesnt take much for the whole thing to grind to a halt down there though, especially due to the sheer volume of services.
There are pros and cons to all the various kinds of trains, as you mention the over head line electrics don't cope well with high winds. Round here we have third rail which is fine with wind but can't cope with snow.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:54 PM

Chris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is here
There's been quite the battle for title of most incompetent between East Coast and Southern today. Power failures between Peterborough and London so get on replacement coach to some little village I've never heard of, arrive train staff say that all trains have been cancelled and they shouldn't have sent is there. Luckily the coach driver said he'd drive us down to Stevenage. Get to Victoria to find trains completely screwed on southern sure to a train that broke down at Gatwick at 10am today. One minute a litllehampton train is showing on the board, the next it disappears never to be seen again. Total journey for Peterborough to Hove, five and a half hours, three more than normal.

My own fault though as on Wednesday I tweeted that I'd had the easiest tube journey ever during the strike and thanked everyone for making alternate plans. That'll learn me
Old 07-02-2014, 09:57 PM
STFU Donny

TopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Or maybe people should understand maybe there are circumstances which are beyond their control which cannot be foreseen.
everyone has to deal with that in all aspects of life. It's the 'its not my fault guv' attitude that grates.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Vast slug.

Latvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is here
So if a driver at Barnham is held up by a broken down train in Ore, that's his fault?

A member of platform staff at East Croydon should accept blame for a signalling error in Grimsby?

The accounts department of a cardboard factory are blame if HR recruit shite cleaners?

New Zealand's new hockey captain is to blame for China's lack of human rights?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:53 PM

sheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Yes because these things are so easy to predict. Ever had an appliance break down at home? Why didn't you get it fixed before it happened?
There's a fine line between not being able to predict when a train is gonna break down and running a negligent service where trains aren't maintained and replacement trains are not brought in to replace failing stock.

The frequency with which major delays are occurring at the moment is unnaceptable.

In the last five months I'd say on at least 25% to 35% of days I've travelled there have been fairly severe delays either in the morning or evening.

Not sure how this can be classed as good enough.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Small Twanger

FrankieBoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrankieBoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrankieBoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrankieBoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrankieBoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrankieBoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrankieBoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrankieBoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrankieBoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrankieBoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFrankieBoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopKnot View Post
everyone has to deal with that in all aspects of life. It's the 'its not my fault guv' attitude that grates.
Exactly. They work for, and therefore represent, a company that for whatever reason has let the fare paying end user down- and badly. Try a little empathy, and perhaps try to better represent the company that emloys you, you moron.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:07 PM
STFU Donny

TopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is hereTopKnot Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian View Post
So if a driver at Barnham is held up by a broken down train in Ore, that's his fault?

A member of platform staff at East Croydon should accept blame for a signalling error in Grimsby?

The accounts department of a cardboard factory are blame if HR recruit shite cleaners?

New Zealand's new hockey captain is to blame for China's lack of human rights?
if you go to Macdonalds and your burger has a pube in it, do you want to see the person on the till shrug and tell you it must have been the fault of the other guy cooking the burgers?

If you buy a shirt from Top Man and it has a tear in it, do you expect the assistant to tell you it was because the factory worker in China probably knocked over a hatstand onto it and it's not his fault?

If you go get a haircut and the barber shaves a huge stripe off your head then tells you its because when he was a kid someone threw a rock in his eye and now he can't see straight you'd understand?

ridiculous examples aside, the paying customers don't really give a shit what the excuses are or who is to blame. A poor service is a poor service.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Vast slug.

Latvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is hereLatvian Sam the man is here
But it's not their fault mate, which is the point I was making. If you ask staff then I am sure, on top of trying to do their job, they will help you. Fact is the information will probably be found on the internet faster than it is handed down to the railway employees...
Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Vast slug.

And if you want a good job done

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 07-02-2014, 11:34 PM
STFU Donny

Quote:
But it's not their fault mate, which is the point I was making. If you ask staff then I am sure, on top of trying to do their job, they will help you. Fact is the information will probably be found on the internet faster than it is handed down to the railway employees...
yes obviously the chances are its not their fault. But blaming other people/events in your organisation for a poor service rather than holding your hands up and accepting that people have a right to express their disatisfaction at the organisation you represent just sort of makes you look like a bit of a jobsworth.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:40 PM
Vast slug.

Well next time I bump in to a cleaner in an RBS, I need them to explain every last investment which contributed to the economic collapse by the stockbrokers. Should they return to trying to pick up chewing gum or something, I'll call them jobsworths, that clearly show contempt for the public and a lack of life-long pledge to their employer.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:10 AM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Quote:
Well next time I bump in to a cleaner in an RBS, I need them to explain every last investment which contributed to the economic collapse by the stockbrokers. Should they return to trying to pick up chewing gum or something, I'll call them jobsworths, that clearly show contempt for the public and a lack of life-long pledge to their employer.
The point (I think) he's trying to make is that staff of the ToC shouldn't tell people not to complain to drivers/platform staff etc because it's a problem higher up/out of their control, but should instead just try to understand WHY people get so angry/annoyed/frustrated etc when things go tits up for a service they are paying for. That's quite a crucial distinction as well, it's a service and people are paying (way too much) money to maintain it and their money is being pissed up the wall by managers who clearly are unable to do their job properly otherwise disruption would have been minimised. Of course disruption occurs on the railway; that's inevitable, just as disruption occurs on the roads, but someone is cocking up if the disruption is this constant for this long.

I don't know about others but one of my main gripes is the shit communication or lack of communication when on a train or platform. My trains regularly sit outside South Croydon station or Selhurst (the former moreso) and there's no-one telling you what's going on. With the tube they tell you that there's a red signal or whatever, but the trains they don't bother. Whose fault that is I don't know, but that makes us return to the original point that people have a right to complain about a service being disrupted so badly when they pay for it and expect that service to be provided and to not just have a "not my fault guv" pass the buck attitude given.

If we can winter this one out, we can summer anywhere

Last edited by Woosie; 08-02-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:20 AM
STFU Donny

Quote:
We get that you don't think train staff should care what their customers think as long as they can blame one of their colleagues, but making irrelevant comparisons doesn't really help your case.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:21 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
I wonder if people complain about a shit service in a dignified way, or they are insulting and rude, then moan about staff not showing enough empathy?
Old 08-02-2014, 05:23 AM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
and everyone except for Adolf and Paulo Di Canio thought Mussolini was a wanker.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Vast slug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
I wonder if people complain about a shit service in a dignified way, or they are insulting and rude, then moan about staff not showing enough empathy?
I am pretty sure that making sure the train laden with hundreds of people being dispatched and driven safely is more of a priority. As pointed out before, safety critical railway staff can't use their mobiles to obtain the information. Fewer trains now have conductors, who can relay the information. Confident that the drivers hunting their next train, will be relying on word of mouth just as much as you...

There is the "not my fault guv" attitude throughout the entire UK customer service industry, why single out railway staff - who have more dangerous stuff to deal with than whether a coat is on a hanger in Primark?

Last edited by Latvian; 08-02-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:56 AM

Away Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is hereAway Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopKnot View Post
yes obviously the chances are its not their fault. But blaming other people/events in your organisation for a poor service rather than holding your hands up and accepting that people have a right to express their disatisfaction at the organisation you represent just sort of makes you look like a bit of a jobsworth.

I understand the feeling but in the cold light of day what does venting your pointless anger at a blameless underpaid minion who can't do anything about other than confess to something he or she hasn't done in the first place make you look like.

Have a heart people.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Anything from Milan?

spt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is here
Think the attitude may have something to do with the train and tube companies knowing you have very little alternative but to use their service.