Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 08-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by markholmes1991
Think Wrighty popped up with his 100th goal for Arsenal that day.
Yes he did - to pull it back to 2-1. But we held on and he was not happy at the end

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact a Family charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And donate here https://www.justgiving.com/CyclingtheSeason

or by texting CPFC16 £5 (or whatever amount) to 70070 to donate to Contact a Family and make a difference today
Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 PM

reg ister was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsreg ister was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsreg ister was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsreg ister was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsreg ister was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsreg ister was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsreg ister was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsreg ister was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsreg ister was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsreg ister was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsreg ister was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
Le Tissier reveals how seriously Southampton took the game at Oldham...

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 08-02-2011, 09:41 PM
The squeezed middle

PoshPalace will cross the room to turn the lights down lowPoshPalace will cross the room to turn the lights down lowPoshPalace will cross the room to turn the lights down lowPoshPalace will cross the room to turn the lights down lowPoshPalace will cross the room to turn the lights down lowPoshPalace will cross the room to turn the lights down lowPoshPalace will cross the room to turn the lights down lowPoshPalace will cross the room to turn the lights down lowPoshPalace will cross the room to turn the lights down lowPoshPalace will cross the room to turn the lights down lowPoshPalace will cross the room to turn the lights down low
The bit no-one seems to remember is that we played Man City at Maine Road on the Wednesday between the Ipswich and Arsenal games. We could have been safe winning there too, if only Geoff's shot had gone in rather than cannoning back off the bar. Once that finished 0-0 and Calamity James let Liverpool beat Oldham, it was all over.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:20 PM

KP'S Nuts has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!KP'S Nuts has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!KP'S Nuts has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!KP'S Nuts has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!KP'S Nuts has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!KP'S Nuts has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!KP'S Nuts has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!KP'S Nuts has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!KP'S Nuts has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!KP'S Nuts has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!KP'S Nuts has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
I remember being at the Ipswich game and us taking them apart and thinking no chance we are going down. Then wright a hero palace player for me helping send us down. I don't know if anyone else heard Geoff Thomas (who was my boy hood hero) being interviewed after the match but he was almost in tears and that interview with him made it even worse knowing that we came so close to staying up with so many points. Nothing since has been as gutting as that relegation.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:56 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Sure i remember reading in Tony Adams book that during the game the Arsenal players were urging Palace players to score as they'd rather travel to Selhurst the following season than Boundary Park.

Obviously Wrighty getting their first was a double sickener, but I wonder if anyone else at the game will back me up on this: i could've sworn on the day (although it didn't matter in the end) that at least a couple of times in the 2nd half Wrighty purposely missed scoring opportunities. One I clearly remember was a cross that was bound for his head and he literally pulled out in mid air and turned away grinning. Someone near me said: He did that on purpose, i replied: 'Why didn't he bloody do that earlier then?!'

Also heard that after he was sustituted, he quickly showered and left the ground before the game finished because he couldn't face Coppell and the players.

Quite bizzare really when you look back that he should score that day: the player that arguably was the embodiment of our success, was the same man that finally put an end to it.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:49 PM

dim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is here
Yeah - anybody mentioned that half their goals were offside against Southampton?

Bastards - I ******* hate that day....all I can say really.

We wuz robbed.

And, perhaps unfairly, I have always despised Paul Dickov ever since.

Last edited by dim; 09-02-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:07 PM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11
Sure i remember reading in Tony Adams book that during the game the Arsenal players were urging Palace players to score as they'd rather travel to Selhurst the following season than Boundary Park.

Obviously Wrighty getting their first was a double sickener, but I wonder if anyone else at the game will back me up on this: i could've sworn on the day (although it didn't matter in the end) that at least a couple of times in the 2nd half Wrighty purposely missed scoring opportunities. One I clearly remember was a cross that was bound for his head and he literally pulled out in mid air and turned away grinning. Someone near me said: He did that on purpose, i replied: 'Why didn't he bloody do that earlier then?!'

Also heard that after he was sustituted, he quickly showered and left the ground before the game finished because he couldn't face Coppell and the players.

Quite bizzare really when you look back that he should score that day: the player that arguably was the embodiment of our success, was the same man that finally put an end to it.
Don't remember Wright missing any particularly easy chances during the game, although I do remember him going loopy and jumping all over the place as first Dickov and then Campbell hammered the coffin lid shut late in the 2nd half
Old 10-02-2011, 11:26 PM

Maiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
That was bad enough, but what about 2 seasons later ! 4th from bottom in the one bloody season that 4 teams went down.
Again with quite a high points tally - 45 pts from 42.
But TBF what was telling in that campaign was our goals total - 34 - Which was the lowest in the Prem that season.
1994/95 - The season that Palace were in the last 4 of all competitions !
Old 11-02-2011, 02:15 AM
thanks for coming

laggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPalace
The bit no-one seems to remember is that we played Man City at Maine Road on the Wednesday between the Ipswich and Arsenal games. We could have been safe winning there too, if only Geoff's shot had gone in rather than cannoning back off the bar. Once that finished 0-0 and Calamity James let Liverpool beat Oldham, it was all over.
i seem to remember thomas having a header cleared off the line by a city defender and rodger missing a late chance
Old 08-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Not again Wayne

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by laggin View Post
i seem to remember thomas having a header cleared off the line by a city defender and rodger missing a late chance
Yep cleared of the line by Ray Ranson
After all the talk of a similar scenario to Oldhamgate in the past week, it's 24 years to the day since that fateful day at Highbury
Old 08-05-2017, 10:50 AM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
My sister got married that day. It was pre-internet of course so we were carrying radios. We went in the church a Premier League team and came out effectively relegated. Thanks for that Jesus.

Not the greatest wedding reception followed.

The bitterness surrounding that day has lasted rather longer than my sister's marriage.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Made in Bromley

monkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemonkey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The first and last player of the year do I ever went too was the evening after the Ipswich win and we were actually celebrating staying up with the players!!
Walking out of Highbury a week later having been relegated and thinking how the feck did that happen? and seeing Wrighty scoring against us was one of my worst experiences as a palace fan!!

Only consolation was seeing a lary little shit of a palace fan who had been pushing and shoving the young girl and her little brother I was with to hurl abuse at Arsenal fans the other side of the fence all game laying in the gutter with claret pouring from his nose!!

Last edited by monkey; 08-05-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Mr Mojo Risin

Mr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Reading this probably explains a lot of the panic on here at the moment. There are some parallels I don't like the look of - thinking we are safe, our main relegation rival playing one of the top teams (Oldham playing Villa, Hull playing Spurs), ourselves playing a team who have a cup final the following week, which is looking likely. Hopefully I am just reading too much into it.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Gazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Not read whole thread so apologies if repeating anything that's already been said.
I feared the worst the Wed night after the Ipswich win when we drew nil nil at Man C but Oldham beat Liverpool.
So I took the Thurs and Fri sick off work. Highbury Northbank was closed for redevelopment so the away section at Clock End was much smaller than usual. On the Thurs I went up to Highbury and joined a sizeable queue to buy a ticket in the stand opposite the tunnel. I recognised a lot of fellow Palace fans in the queue.
When Palace took to the field, it was clear from the cheers that there were a lot of us Palace in that stand. When a few home fans started celebrating the 2nd and 3rd goals with a little too much relish, there were plenty of fists flying.
The home fans in that stand kept quiet for rest of the game.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:31 AM
thanks for coming

laggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaggin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
Yep cleared of the line by Ray Ranson
After all the talk of a similar scenario to Oldhamgate in the past week, it's 24 years to the day since that fateful day at Highbury
i recall paul Dempsey reporting amicably our highlights at manc on sky soccer weekend the day before that fateful trip to highbury.

I think the memories of 93 still haunt many of us chief, hence why we are taking nothing for granted until we claim at least a point sunday, or sunderland do us another favour by beating Swansea the day before.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:54 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza2 View Post
Not read whole thread so apologies if repeating anything that's already been said.
I feared the worst the Wed night after the Ipswich win when we drew nil nil at Man C but Oldham beat Liverpool..
I feared the worst as soon as Oldham beat Villa.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact a Family charity, who support families with disabled children.

or by texting CPFC16 £5 (or whatever amount) to 70070 to donate to Contact a Family and make a difference today
Old 09-05-2017, 08:59 AM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
I feared the worst as soon as Oldham beat Villa.
yep - to the youngsters of the day it was the equivalent of Hull winning at Spurs with 1 week to go. It was an incredible result followed by Calamity James followed by Ian Wright at Highbury
Old 09-05-2017, 09:28 AM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle View Post
That was bad enough, but what about 2 seasons later ! 4th from bottom in the one bloody season that 4 teams went down.
Again with quite a high points tally - 45 pts from 42.
But TBF what was telling in that campaign was our goals total - 34 - Which was the lowest in the Prem that season.
1994/95 - The season that Palace were in the last 4 of all competitions !
Does anyone remember the piss-take goal famine appeal on 'Fantasy Football'? About the only time we got a mention.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Otis McOtis

Thanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle View Post
Does anyone remember the piss-take goal famine appeal on 'Fantasy Football'? About the only time we got a mention.
Pretty sure we hold the Premier league record for most consecutive league games without scoring.

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller
Old 12-05-2017, 11:49 AM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle View Post
They also did a bit around the time of Cantona - a Palace fan saying how terrifying it was a this footballer charged towards the crowd with his face all screwed up (or something like that). And then showed Dowie celebrating his goal at Forest in the Cup.