Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 15-01-2019, 11:42 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I have no problem whatsoever with opportunism not ethics driving marketing providing the message is legal decent etc.
I do get this as well, as the message is a good one, but at the same time it does not make me think greatly on Gillette because I do not see the sincerity that would make me want to buy their products.
Old 15-01-2019, 11:45 AM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
The examples of harassment of women in it are ridiculous and edge cases, your average bloke doesn't act like that anyway, but it's being portrayed as normal and that blokes have been behaving terribly consistently and everytime. It's yet another bloke attack, just like all the adverts where the bloke is made out to be a complete clot and embarrassment but <insert product> saves the day.

Removing the shitty behaviour is one thing but there's a lot of blokiness that is getting smashed up in the process and that won't just hurt blokes, it'll hurt women in the end. You can't change biology.
Old 15-01-2019, 11:46 AM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by evvo111 View Post
Is there such a thing as Toxic Femininity?
Quite.
Old 15-01-2019, 11:46 AM

CK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopKnot View Post
Gillette have released a new ad which addresses the issue of toxic masculinity and asks men to be the best they can be.

Currently causing a lot of controversy, on YT there are 23k likes and over 200k dislikes. A LOT of offended men. Personally, I really like it. I think its well made and touching. What do we think - if you find it offensive, why?
No issue with it at all...
Old 15-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Class Swot.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
VD?

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign (satire)
Old 15-01-2019, 11:48 AM

CK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybot View Post
They can afford to given how much they charge for replacement blades.
Quite a few years ago I found out how to resharpen the blades. Look it up, it's saving me a fortune.
Old 15-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Lurker

sirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Yes.

Although I think you already known this.
Old 15-01-2019, 12:04 PM
evvo111

evvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is hereevvo111 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdougie View Post
Yes.

Although I think you already known this.
I really didn't but I'm sure some advertising agency will bring out a similar advert using this as a background.
"The wise are instructed by reason; ordinary minds by experience; the stupid, by necessity; and brutes by instinct."
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child."
"Victory has a hundred fathers and defeat is an orphan."
Old 15-01-2019, 12:15 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauLo View Post
"Controversial"

The only people who could possibly be bothered by this are the people the ad is aimed at. The amount of people missing the toxic part of toxic masculinity is... well, not really that surprising. Plus it's triggered Piers Morgan, so it's the perfect ad IMO.
I reckon Piers Morgan is sponsored by these brands to be triggered and draw more attention to them.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/will-swain
Old 15-01-2019, 12:19 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
I really didn't but I'm sure some advertising agency will bring out a similar advert using this as a background.
Possibly not a social issue of the same magnitude though.

I like the advert. Yes, it's a cynical ploy to sell more products, which of course is the point of any advert. But I like the message, I don't feel like it's saying all men are bastards. It's about toxic masculinity, which negatively impacts men as more than women, which I think the advert shows.

Old 15-01-2019, 12:41 PM

Little Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is hereLittle Fozzie Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
The examples of harassment of women in it are ridiculous and edge cases, your average bloke doesn't act like that anyway, but it's being portrayed as normal and that blokes have been behaving terribly consistently and everytime. It's yet another bloke attack, just like all the adverts where the bloke is made out to be a complete clot and embarrassment but <insert product> saves the day.

Removing the shitty behaviour is one thing but there's a lot of blokiness that is getting smashed up in the process and that won't just hurt blokes, it'll hurt women in the end. You can't change biology.
What are you talking about?

Also, a 'bloke attack'? Can't help but feel you've taken this ad a bit personally. There clearly is a problem in society with 'toxic masculinity' or whatever. This addresses that, and if you feel personally attacked by it, maybe you should take a look at yourself and the way you act.

FWL Honours:

Premiership: 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 18, 19, 20. Runners Up: 9, 13, 14, 15, 17.
FA Cup: 4, 17. Runners Up: 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 18.
Others: Champions League (x2), League Cup, WCC (bronze), Championship (x2), Charity Shield
Old 15-01-2019, 12:48 PM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
I'm not even sure what "blokiness" actually means.

http://www.last.fm/user/the_paulo
Old 15-01-2019, 12:52 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
Possibly not a social issue of the same magnitude though.

I like the advert. Yes, it's a cynical ploy to sell more products, which of course is the point of any advert. But I like the message, I don't feel like it's saying all men are bastards. It's about toxic masculinity, which negatively impacts men as more than women, which I think the advert shows.

Is it a covert anti-Trump ad?

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 15-01-2019, 12:52 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
I'm not even sure what "blokiness" actually means.
Singing Section.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 15-01-2019, 12:55 PM

TennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I hear it thrown around a lot, and I'm hoping one of the resident experts in the field can explain what it actually is to hopefully help placate the baying mobs calling this anti men, under the umbrella of tolerance, understanding and sensible discussion and debate.

What is "toxic masculinity"? Is there a sliding scale, or an actual defined definition people work with explaining what structures lead to this toxicity, and what behaviour it encompasses?
Old 15-01-2019, 12:57 PM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
Quote:
TBF to Gillette, they've also announced they donating millions a year various charities...

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 15-01-2019, 01:06 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Call me cynical, but Gillette aren't doing this to "heal" men.

They're doing it for cash.

Other than that I suppose it's on message for today's trend topics. Its bollocks though, I'm afraid and doesn't help in any way.

It just gives us a slightly different idea to other adverts of what we "should" be. **** off.
Old 15-01-2019, 01:06 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox View Post
You beat me to it. Philanthropy, where the elite avoid paying billions in taxes that would pay for education and healthcare by stashing it in havens. They then give 1% of it back for health and education projects and are praised for it.
Old 15-01-2019, 01:07 PM
Lovely

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeKing View Post
What is "toxic masculinity"? Is there a sliding scale, or an actual defined definition people work with explaining what structures lead to this toxicity, and what behaviour it encompasses?
There's plenty to read on the topic - I'd recommend The Descent of Man by Grayson Perry as a good starting point. But essentially, my understanding is that it's about restricting male emotions to anger and aggression - boys don't cry and don't show emotions. Men aren't suited to caring roles. That sort of thing. In addition it's about reinforcing male dominance in society.

I reckon it's a pretty important issue for all sorts of reasons, not least the high levels of suicide and mental health issues amongst men.

Old 15-01-2019, 01:08 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
I reckon it's a pretty important issue for all sorts of reasons, not least the high levels of suicide and mental health issues amongst men.
Of course, you are right, but I don't think this advert does anything to help.