Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 01-01-2016, 11:29 AM

tony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henfield Eagle View Post
And Terry Willard Son of Jess)was a Steward on the away coaches late 60's early 70's
I remember Terry on the coach there were others whose names escape me.
I also noted in the clip rare footage with checked shirt was Harry Easton who mainly played for the reserves.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:08 PM

tony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sorry I meant to say Behind Dave Sexton who was in checked shirt.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:58 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Happy new year to all

I gave myself a little new year's morning treat by re-watching the Palace-Brighton 5 penalties game from 1989 while scoffing my smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.

What a goal from Wright. You have to say the one Brighton penalty was the dodgiest of the lot. But Kelvin Morton was definitely on something that day, love the way he awarded our third pen. Palace legend.
I watched that on reading your post - the first Palace peanlty was the most dubious one we got - Brighton's one was laughable. The sending off almost proved he was a Palace fan
Old 01-11-2017, 09:59 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Just stumbled across this ...

Tuesday, 16 February 1982
FA Cup 5th Round Replay, Orient 0-1 Crystal Palace; Att: 10,067

Great finish and nice to see an old fashioned terrace bundle behind the goal in celebration. We were...

Barron, P.Hinshelwood, Boulter, Cannon, Wicks, Brooks, J.Murphy+(D.Price), Smillie •, Hilaire, Langley, Mabbutt

The usual baffling mix of genuine, proven talent, unfulfilled potential and utter dross.

Probably the first time I've seen it since being there on the night. I doubt whether we got home from the badlands of Waltham Forest in time for Midweek Sports Special in those days.

That's ex-West Ham keeper Mervyn Day getting beaten in the Orient goal. You were always guaranteed a few ex-Palace players in any given Orient line-up in those days; that evening it was Barry Silkman, Peter Taylor and Henry Hughton (actually Hughton was a future player technically speaking).
Old 02-11-2017, 01:02 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Shaun Brooks would be playing for Orient before long
Old 02-11-2017, 06:44 PM

Tom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Just stumbled across this ...

Tuesday, 16 February 1982
FA Cup 5th Round Replay, Orient 0-1 Crystal Palace; Att: 10,067

Great finish and nice to see an old fashioned terrace bundle behind the goal in celebration. We were...

Barron, P.Hinshelwood, Boulter, Cannon, Wicks, Brooks, J.Murphy+(D.Price), Smillie •, Hilaire, Langley, Mabbutt

The usual baffling mix of genuine, proven talent, unfulfilled potential and utter dross.

Probably the first time I've seen it since being there on the night. I doubt whether we got home from the badlands of Waltham Forest in time for Midweek Sports Special in those days.

That's ex-West Ham keeper Mervyn Day getting beaten in the Orient goal. You were always guaranteed a few ex-Palace players in any given Orient line-up in those days; that evening it was Barry Silkman, Peter Taylor and Henry Hughton (actually Hughton was a future player technically speaking).
Next stop QPR quarter finals.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:19 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabas View Post
Can anyone put names to these players?: To view the link you have to Register or Login
I can see Johnny McNicol and Dave Sexton.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Dobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARZET EAGLE View Post
I can see Johnny McNicol and Dave Sexton.
Terry Long and Geoff Truett maybe.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
Yes, a young Terry Long near the end of the clip.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:58 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
Indeed, Geoff Truett was a winger with blonde hair, signed from Wycombe Wanderers.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:58 PM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfcpaulo2 View Post
Was at that Millwall game. Just watched it again. I'd forgotten what good players we had in Wrightie, Bright, GT, Gray, Steadie Eddie, always loved Pembo. I remember the home games v Forest (1-0) and Everton (2-1) as a turning point and me thinking we could stay up. I think Pardew scored the winner v Everton. Let's have that spirit tonight lads.

Now 47 and those 3 seasons are my faves, 88/89 to 90/91. Didn't know how lucky we were.
Yeah I went to that match too, I'm also 47 and I'd agree 88 - 91 was the best Palace era.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:22 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Bucket View Post
Yeah I went to that match too, I'm also 47 and I'd agree 88 - 91 was the best Palace era.
Yes, agree with that too. It was just pure punk. These young talented misfits brought together by a young intelligent manager, ended taking on and beating the best in the country. Goals, excitement, tears and pure joy. An unbelievable few seasons.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:40 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Another clip of Palace in the FA Cup; maybe not as obscure. The Palace footage is from 9:25...

(And yes, as recently as the early 90s, some Northerners thought that moustaches looked cool.)
Old 14-11-2017, 07:34 PM

Some more 1990's FA Cup memories, but not quite so enjoyable...

Old 06-12-2017, 05:19 PM

Not really rare, but an interesting insight into an iconic match of that era.

The match was the FA Cup 3rd Round replay against Nottingham Forest at The City Gound in 1990/91. It followed a deadly-dull 0-0 draw at Selhurst and is best remembered for John Salako's 40 yard speculative punt to equalize in the last minute. If you're too young to remember ...

Anyway, I came across this interview with Roy Keane about Brian Clough's reaction. Like he says, it's hard who to attribute the most blame to; Keane's backpass or Forest keeper Crossley's scuffed clearance. Keane recalls that Clough's fury was because of the prospect of a trip to Selhurst Park for the 2nd replay but as it turned out, the replay was in Nottingham and we were comprehensively trounced 3-0. In an unecessary act of petulance, Clough withdrew one of his team to finish the match with 10 men just to rub our noses in it.

Anyway, this is Keane's recollection. He thinks a manager would get sacked for it nowadays; personally I doubt it. Anyway, this is probably only of interest to those of us that remember the matches but worth watching for fans interested in Palace history.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Troublemaker

EdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is hereEdMan Sam the man is here
Was enjoying this one yesterday. First game I ever went to.