Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 21-04-2014, 08:09 AM

garronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is heregarronrav Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco mixx kidd View Post
My bad it's on the end of the video, we lost two nil? :-(

Must have been season earlier when we won 4-1 and went top

Is that only time we've been top of the table in top division?
29/9/79
Old 21-04-2014, 08:38 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco mixx kidd View Post
My bad it's on the end of the video, we lost two nil? :-(
That footage is missing a last-minute consolation goal for us by Steve Lovell. The final score was 1-2. It was just 2 weeks away from being the anniversary of that historic 4-1 victory against the same opposition that put us top of the First Division for the first and only time in our history.

By some grotesque symmetry, that 1-2 defeat sent us to the bottom of the table, a position that we barely rose above all season and confirmed Ipswich's position at the top. In the end, Aston Villa pipped them to the championship although they won the UEFA Cup that season with a fantastic team that included Frans Thijssen, Arnold Mühren, Mick Mills, John Wark and Paul Mariner, managed of course by Bobby Robson.

It was a very depressing afternoon as I recall. What with the furore over Clive Allen's disallowed goal at Coventry the previous week it had been possible to kid ourselves that we'd just been unlucky but a pretty dismal performance confirmed in stark terms that we were in serious bother.
Old 24-04-2014, 02:22 PM

barnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Latest uploads:

Fuller highlights (in the wrong ratio) of the controversial Arsenal home game 1972/73:
To view the link you have to Register or Login

A Sam Goodwin shot against West Ham 1971/72, presumably uploaded by his son:

Last edited by barnabas; 24-04-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 24-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Gilzean

Gilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGilzean : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Yep Great Post .. I remember those days well. Ian Wright was a great player and what he had in common with Bright, Thomas, etc was that they were all hungry for success.
Old 24-04-2014, 11:11 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabas View Post
Now that I've reached 15 posts here are the links in full (I hope):

Home to Millwall 1973/74:

Away to Liverpool 1972/73:

Away to Leeds 1970/71:

Home to Bristol City 1973/74:

Home to Ipswich 1969/70:

Home to Arsenal 1972/73:

Away to Shrewsbury 1975/76:

Home to Portsmouth 1968/69:

Away to Liverpool 1980/81:

Away to Millwall 1977/78:

Away to Chelsea 1969/70:

Away to Plymouth 1974/75:

Home to Orient 1978/79:

Home to Stoke 1978/79:

Away to Sunderland 1978/79:

Away to West Ham 1978/79:

Away to Coventry 1980/81:

Away to Tottenham 1972/73:

Home to Sunderland 1977/78:

Home to Ipswich 1980/81:

Home to Oldham 1978/79:

Away to Stoke 1978/79:

Away to Chelsea 1971/72:

Home to Everton 1972/73:
Ipswich at home 1980 was my first ever game. Thanks for posting, not seen that since the day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 25-04-2014, 11:48 AM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Barnabas how the hell did you find all those? I always had all of them on video but long long gone somewhere and have not seen the footage for donkey's years. Thanks to Aidan for the Spurs game, I remember that vividly. Hoddle scoring two similar goals in (I think ) two home games. It's odd how stuff is hidden away on You Tube which can't be found with simple keywords. You'd never think to type in 'On This Day'

The Sunderland game was odd, seeing them in red and blue and a photo of that game featured on the front cover of the programme for a while (remember that because I was in it with my old man ) Notice Sunderland wore the same Umbro socks as we did at home a couple of years earlier and in fact at Sunderland in the cup. Also notice - no club badge on or sash shirts for a little while that season.

There was footage of our 1-1 draw at Leicester that I used to have, which was on a Friday on our promotion run in in 1979 when we equalised in the last minute (and Kember got knocked out from a free kick earlier), wonder if that's out there too? It was on Football Focus at the tme with Des Lynam up there with a feature on pre match, all on cine film not video! I remember seeing Venables walking into Filbert Street with massive flares on.

Thanks for those links!

Who opened their lunch?
Old 25-04-2014, 08:04 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
One of the many Palace bits of footage that I would absolutely love to be unearthed, is the Vince Hilaire sending off at home to Spurs at the start of the 80/81 season.

The one where he's brawling with Garth Crooks (I think?), then suddenly decides to run and shove the referee Alf Grey right over.

Sure it was shown on Thames TV news the following evening.
Old 25-04-2014, 08:14 PM

barnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
Barnabas how the hell did you find all those? I always had all of them on video but long long gone somewhere and have not seen the footage for donkey's years. Thanks to Aidan for the Spurs game, I remember that vividly. Hoddle scoring two similar goals in (I think ) two home games. It's odd how stuff is hidden away on You Tube which can't be found with simple keywords. You'd never think to type in 'On This Day'

The Sunderland game was odd, seeing them in red and blue and a photo of that game featured on the front cover of the programme for a while (remember that because I was in it with my old man ) Notice Sunderland wore the same Umbro socks as we did at home a couple of years earlier and in fact at Sunderland in the cup. Also notice - no club badge on or sash shirts for a little while that season.

There was footage of our 1-1 draw at Leicester that I used to have, which was on a Friday on our promotion run in in 1979 when we equalised in the last minute (and Kember got knocked out from a free kick earlier), wonder if that's out there too? It was on Football Focus at the tme with Des Lynam up there with a feature on pre match, all on cine film not video! I remember seeing Venables walking into Filbert Street with massive flares on.

Thanks for those links!
Stumbled upon them whilst looking for old football a few months back. The Leicester footage I remember well but haven't seen since. Just like the goals from the famous Wrexham game of 1976/77.
Old 25-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Stumbled upon them whilst looking for old football a few months back. The Leicester footage I remember well but haven't seen since. Just like the goals from the famous Wrexham game of 1976/77.
You may have stumbled squire but there are some gems amongst that collection. Many thanks for posting them, brought back lots of memories.
Old 26-04-2014, 12:38 PM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Quote:
I used to have the Wrexham goals as well, they were on On The Ball the following Saturday, again in glorious grainy film.

Another couple that could be out there somewhere is 1975 home v Peterborough 1-1, and 1976 home v Rotherham 2-1 (Ricky Heppolette free kick if I remember correctly!). Away to Stoke 1979 the week before we went top won 2-1 (great finish by Vince). All games were on Match of the Day.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 26-04-2014, 12:45 PM
ár lá

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
One of the many Palace bits of footage that I would absolutely love to be unearthed, is the Vince Hilaire sending off at home to Spurs at the start of the 80/81 season.

The one where he's brawling with Garth Crooks (I think?), then suddenly decides to run and shove the referee Alf Grey right over.

Sure it was shown on Thames TV news the following evening.
Yes the goals were on ITN News that night then there was more of a feature on Thames News the next evening with a touchline camera. Lost 4-3.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 26-04-2014, 12:50 PM
ár lá

Quote:
Away to Tottenham 1972/73:
Bloody hell the dive for the penalty!

Who opened their lunch?
Old 26-04-2014, 01:43 PM
ár lá

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiller View Post

WTF is that being wheeled around at 8:24 in part 2? A cot?

Who opened their lunch?
Old 26-04-2014, 07:20 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
WTF is that being wheeled around at 8:24 in part 2? A cot?
Great spot. That is hilarious.

Looks like the base to a child's bed.

I miss the randomness and chaos of 70's football.
Old 26-04-2014, 07:31 PM

hdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is here
Somewhere on video I have highlights of two great Palace away wins 6-0 at Birmingham and 3-1 at Man City both of these were broadcast on their local tv networks and are pretty rare as they are about 30 minutes long.

I also have an Italian video featuring the Palace Youth team playing in Italy in a pre-season tournament which I found by chance as a live broadcast on my old Astra satellite system back in the day.
Old 27-04-2014, 11:22 AM
ár lá

The Birmingham and Man City games are on You Tube and either on this thread or in this forum but let's have a look at the youth in Italy! That reminds me I just remembered I have VHS footage somewhere of Palace pre season away v Fiorentina in 1990 and pre season about 12 years ago away to Real Betis if I can get that onto You Tube. Will have to find the video player first though.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 27-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post
Somewhere on video I have highlights of two great Palace away wins 6-0 at Birmingham and 3-1 at Man City both of these were broadcast on their local tv networks and are pretty rare as they are about 30 minutes long.

I also have an Italian video featuring the Palace Youth team playing in Italy in a pre-season tournament which I found by chance as a live broadcast on my old Astra satellite system back in the day.
Here's the Man City one I think you're talking about. This one I obtained directly from City and is their ropey club own video like we used to do in the 80's. I'm wondering whether your highlights is a TV version and better quality?

Old 06-06-2014, 10:28 PM

exiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is here
Is there any video of Palace winning 4-2 at Wrexham in 1977 ? , i was at that game and Wrexhams final match at home to Mansfield .
Old 06-06-2014, 11:11 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledeagle View Post
Is there any video of Palace winning 4-2 at Wrexham in 1977 ? , i was at that game and Wrexhams final match at home to Mansfield .
I have certainly seen them, think it maybe on the Century DVD released in 2005.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Banned by Moderators

Norman Nigel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNorman Nigel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNorman Nigel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNorman Nigel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNorman Nigel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNorman Nigel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNorman Nigel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNorman Nigel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNorman Nigel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNorman Nigel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNorman Nigel : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledeagle View Post
Yes, the goals are on our centenary dvd.

What a night.