Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 09-12-2013, 03:29 PM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
I was at this and cannot remember us getting a penalty in the last minutes let alone missing it.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:35 PM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Palace v WBA 1980

Who opened their lunch?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Aching Arms

LONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is hereLONDONMAN Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
I was at this and cannot remember us getting a penalty in the last minutes let alone missing it.

I definitely remember that penalty - I can still remember Carlton Palmer screaming in Ian Wright's ear as he placed the ball on the spot - you can see the ref trying to call him down in the clip.

You can make out the Palace away support chanting "Yellows, Yellows" which never happens anymore, even though we have worn yellow as an away kit plenty of times in the past 24 years since.

Visit http://achingarms.co.uk/
Old 09-12-2013, 03:48 PM
bit scummish really

Radders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
I was at Maine Road for our 3-1 win in 87, think the highlights are on this thread somewhere. Wasn't until I watched that back that I saw that City were awarded and missed a pen. No recollection of that at all. Probably too preoccupied with the psyco's in the Kippax wanting to kill us at the time.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
That WBA game is priceless, wonder why they elected to hand the commentating duties to a 12 year old boy?
Old 09-12-2013, 06:18 PM
ár lá

Arsenal 2 Palace 1 - Nov 1971

Captured on CCTV.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 12-12-2013, 04:45 PM

prizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Who scored for CP in that arsenal game?

What a strike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD
*prizesucker's suggestion about shallow nets shows he's a true connoisseur of the beautiful game :)
Old 12-12-2013, 05:14 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
That WBA game is priceless, wonder why they elected to hand the commentating duties to a 12 year old boy?
An extremely bias (towards WBA) 12 year old boy, as well !

It was quite amusing listening to him, trying to contain his disappointment, when we did score !
Old 14-12-2013, 11:56 AM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Before either of them had come to Palace, but here's 2 of our future managers having a wee contretemps on The Big Match.

EDIT: BBD beat me to it on this one. Sorry about that.

Last edited by ElwissAtMemphis; 15-12-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 14-12-2013, 12:04 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Here's a fantastic documentary. It's from the 1980/81 season and is about John Bond succeeding Malcolm Allison as Manchester City manager. Allison was reappointed at Palace later that season and would return to Maine Road when Palace were drawn at City in The FA Cup 3rd Round. Much of the show features that match with both fascinating and depressing footage from inside the Palace dressing room. They were grim times but it's well worth watching.

It's in 6 parts. This is the first bit. The rest should be be easy to find ...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

EDIT: having watched it again, if you're only interested in the Palace-related footage, it's pretty much restricted to the last 2 clips which I've posted below. I still think that the whole thing is well worth watching but I guess not everybody has the time or patience for almost an hour of Manchester City's backroom shenanigans.

So here's yet another inglorious chapter of our history from that period. It's almost impossible to articulate how depressing and seemingly inevitable our decline was at that time. These clips come close to capturing the inexorable slide into abject mediocrity. Just 12 months before this FA Cup tie, Palace were 3rd in the 1st Division and had just beaten European Cup holders Nottingham Forest at Selhurst Park in front of 34,782 people. Just over 3 years later we were entertaining Middlesbrough in the 2nd Division for the edification of 4,819 paying customers. Hindsight's a marvellous thing but you can just sense it coming from some of this footage. Grim ...

Part 5 (Start at about 02:25 for Allison/Palace footage)

Part 6

Last edited by ElwissAtMemphis; 15-12-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 14-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Over Land & Sea

imashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
See that is why Big Mal is such a Legend at our place he leaves the mancs forced and then gets them away in the cup in part 5 and before kick off runs to the centre circle blowing kisses to the city fans,he put us on the map.
Old 15-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Burbs Palace

Typical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Part 6
That red and blue Adidas Tracksuit Allison's wearing was a thing of divine beauty. Oh how I coveted it back then.
Old 15-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Burbs Palace

Typical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTypical Palace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorWel View Post
Leeds away 1985

That's the game Finnigan talks about in the interview in Palace Echo, where he was continually racially abused by the Leeds fans and responded by scoring two great goals. Jozimar!
Old 15-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Burbs Palace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD View Post
brilliant - but where did that run of pembo's come from?

That video's worth sitting through to get to the end where a dog is trained to bark violently when Lee Martin scores at Wembley
Old 16-12-2013, 10:42 AM
ár lá

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical Palace View Post
That video's worth sitting through to get to the end where a dog is trained to bark violently when Lee Martin scores at Wembley
I jumped out my skin when I first watched that ages ago, can't believe I just shat my pants again.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 20-12-2013, 10:34 PM

FA Cup 1st Round
04-Nov-1961 Crystal Palace 3-0 Portsmouth 30,464 {Byrne, Heckman 2}

Can anybody identify which goal is Johnny Byrne's? I don't think I've ever seen one of his goals and surely that's something that all Palace fans should have done.
Old 21-12-2013, 01:17 AM

League Division 1
05-Mar-1996 Crystal Palace 5-0 Grimsby Town 11,548 {Freedman 3, Hopkin, Houghton}

Every goal in the first half and every goal scored by a Scotland-born International. They've been pretty thin on the ground around here to put it mildly. Tony Pulis will be eyeing up those long throws enviously.
Old 21-12-2013, 01:28 AM

League Division 1
01-Mar-1997 Oxford United 1-4 Crystal Palace 8,572 {Gordon, Hopkin, B.Dyer 2}

Steve Coppell's first match in charge after Dave Bassett had defected to Nottingham Forest. We ended the season promoted via a Play-Off final against Sheffield United at Wembley. Forest were relegated after finishing bottom in The Premiership.

What happened the following season wasn't quite so pleasing.
Old 21-12-2013, 04:53 AM
BTC

Far East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
League Division 1
05-Mar-1996 Crystal Palace 5-0 Grimsby Town 11,548 {Freedman 3, Hopkin, Houghton}

Every goal in the first half and every goal scored by a Scotland-born International. They've been pretty thin on the ground around here to put it mildly. Tony Pulis will be eyeing up those long throws enviously.
That's beautiful "5-0 up, Palace declared at half time".

I saw Dougie's record hat-trick beaten by Danny Butterfield v Wolves in the FA cup
Old 21-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Mmm, Flaming Burgers

BBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Our own 'hand of god' moment. We'll skip the other 44 games! I've got most of them on full 90 minute VHS tapes and it ain't pretty.