Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 12-10-2018, 12:36 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Driving in France

I'm off to the Alps in Feb at half term and are trying to work out timings. Anyone had any experience of this journey? Are the French police like ours that ignore 80MPH or are they bastards. D0 they have ave speed cameras on the tolls?

thx

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013

Please if you can donate to this, give back some of the joy you have had watching the 'A Palace Minute' series from BUBBS11.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 12-10-2018, 12:43 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Wight View Post
I'm off to the Alps in Feb at half term and are trying to work out timings. Anyone had any experience of this journey? Are the French police like ours that ignore 80MPH or are they bastards. D0 they have ave speed cameras on the tolls?

thx
On many of the motorways they will ignore you doing 80mph, but then the speed limit is 130km/h!

Just watch out for the reduction in speed limit if it is raining!
Old 12-10-2018, 12:52 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Drove to the Swiss Alps this summer. Door-to-door (from near the A3 in north West Sussex) via the Eurotunnel it took about 13 hours each way. I didn't hang around, but didn't do silly speeds either. On the way back I made the mistake of following my SatNav, which took me through Luxembourg and Belgium - which was, in fairness five miles shorter than the route through northern France, but felt much longer. I did get flashed a couple of times in Belgium but, as yet, nothing has arrived in the post - probably I think because I was in a reasonable margin of the speed limit ...
Old 12-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

thx
We did it a couple of years ago. Great roads, no need to speed as it’s 110 or 130 kph pretty much all the way. Stick it on cruise control and you’ll be laughing. About eight hours from Calais.

Have you thought about snow chains?

If the mountain roads have had a decent covering of snow the gendarmes will stop you and check if you’re properly equipped. If you don’t have snow tyres or chains they will not let you go any further.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Drove to the Swiss Alps this summer. Door-to-door (from near the A3 in north West Sussex) via the Eurotunnel it took about 13 hours each way. I didn't hang around, but didn't do silly speeds either. On the way back I made the mistake of following my SatNav, which took me through Luxembourg and Belgium - which was, in fairness five miles shorter than the route through northern France, but felt much longer. I did get flashed a couple of times in Belgium but, as yet, nothing has arrived in the post - probably I think because I was in a reasonable margin of the speed limit ...
hopefully you filled the tank whilst in Luxembourg

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Tenim un nom, el sap tothom
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 12-10-2018, 12:56 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Yes they have speed cameras on autoroutes

SaulAlinsky
Old 12-10-2018, 01:01 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltklasse View Post
Yes they have speed cameras on autoroutes
Are they fixed or Ave

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013

Please if you can donate to this, give back some of the joy you have had watching the 'A Palace Minute' series from BUBBS11.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 12-10-2018, 01:03 PM

swissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietswissroll came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Do NOT drive to / from the French Alps on a Saturday in peak season – it will double your time on the road. If you have to arrive and leave on a Saturday, leave Friday and get as close as you can before stopping overnight. On the way back be in the car before 6am

Stick to limits particularly within 30-50 miles of Calais
Old 12-10-2018, 01:06 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Are they fixed or Ave
cameras are fixed but don't forget in france they can measure the time between toll booths.

SaulAlinsky
Old 12-10-2018, 01:08 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by King William View Post
hopefully you filled the tank whilst in Luxembourg
I did, quite by chance. It was very cheap -why is that ?
Old 12-10-2018, 01:10 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Quote:

thx
I think they are unlikely to have speed cameras on tolls, as you are queuing to go through. The Speed cameras don't have to be bright yellow or noticeable in France - normally very discreet until too late.

Stick to the rules, lamp light covers / breathalyser / luminous jackets for every passenger / warning triangle / 1st Aid kit.

Basically, every is fineable - no questions. Straight to the cashpoint.

Fast lane is overtaking only - none of the lane hogging like over here.

Tunnels you need your lights on.

All I can think of at the moment. But basically the Calais road all the way up to Reims (N4?), they watch like a hawk.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:10 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I did, quite by chance. It was very cheap -why is that ?
Because petrol is cheap in Luxembourg.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 12-10-2018, 01:27 PM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
Remember to allow time for oui breaks.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:28 PM

thefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is herethefox Sam the man is here
Can you still do the car on the train thing ?
Old 12-10-2018, 01:30 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart View Post
Stick to the rules, lamp light covers / breathalyser / luminous jackets for every passenger / warning triangle / 1st Aid kit.

There is no fine for not carrying a breathalyser in France.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:38 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox View Post
Can you still do the car on the train thing ?
Looked into it years ago. It was very expensive and slower.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:39 PM

Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Tim of the 80's has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
They have a pretty good trick of flashing your number plate up on a road side display with "trop vite" next to it. That tends to slow you down a bit.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Fear the ghost of Pol Pot

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:

thx
They are bastards and apply the British Tax at every possible opportunity.

Just stick your car on cruise control.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:05 PM
Fear the ghost of Pol Pot

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart View Post
I think they are unlikely to have speed cameras on tolls, as you are queuing to go through. The Speed cameras don't have to be bright yellow or noticeable in France - normally very discreet until too late.

Fast lane is overtaking only - none of the lane hogging like over here.

Tunnels you need your lights on.

All I can think of at the moment. But basically the Calais road all the way up to Reims (N4?), they watch like a hawk.
I'm told its every seat.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:08 PM

gjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Note that this summer the speed limit on main roads (non-motorways) dropped from 90km/hr to 80km/hr.