Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 30-10-2014, 05:12 AM
South Penge Massive

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Thanks Keltic. Do you think it's possible that, to put it indelicately, what we heard above us were bits of deers landing on the roof? I would expected a few chunks landing, but it was like a rain of v small bits. Grim.

Two hours after sitting in the same place, we looked at the Eurostar website to try to get an update. It was amusing to read it said services were running normally.....v unlikely given no train had gone past us in either direction whilst they investigated.

However, I don't wish to be ungrateful because 1) we are v grateful the train stayed on the rails, which briefly felt unlikely and a few people did scream, and 2) we had our car at Ashford and eventually made it home at 2am. Other passengers going onwards from London missed their connections and were stuffed.
Hi Yoda,

I would guess the noises you heard from the roof were from the pantograph struggling to stay in contact with the overhead wires and possibly bringing them down. I've hit quite a few deer but have the advantage of driving a diesel train so don't have the added worry of 25000 volts above my head and the possibility of insulators flying through my windscreen at 100mph. Even faster on the eurostar of course. They should have told you it was a deer strike at the time and it does seem possible. Some of the buggers up here are as big as cows, or cooes as the locals call 'em. Dunno about french ones, they were probably on strike, although 'strike' is probably the wrong word

Occupational hazard unfortunately, like suicides. I have a lot of sympathy for depressed people, as its something most of us will probably experience in some degree in our lifetimes, it would be nice if nobody chose to end their life in such a public way, but I guess they do it for the certainty, and thats what the counselling afterwards is for, to let you sleep again and not affect your own life forever afterwards.

Russia demonization. Akin to 1930's Germany.

Who funds the anti russia propaganda site bellingcat? http://newsvideo.su/video/9455566
Pretty obvious really.
Old 30-10-2014, 06:33 AM
Mind your sandwiches

chatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is here
There's a moose loose about this track?

I only use South Eastern now and there are rarely delays, suppose the line is less complicated though.

Last edited by chatham_eagle; 30-10-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 30-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatham_eagle View Post
There's a moose loose aboot this track?
i think the pre-edit was more accurate, but this makes me smile more
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 30-10-2014, 06:40 AM
Mind your sandwiches

chatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is herechatham_eagle Sam the man is here
I then realised it was a Deer.
Old 30-10-2014, 07:09 AM
South Penge Massive

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltic eagle View Post

It's a hazard that all us train drivers are exposed to and we have been trained how to deal with it if the situation ever arises. Until we are in that situation it is impossible to know how we will react.
I know how you would react, you've told me

Mind you, after 28 years of 4am starts I can't blame you

Russia demonization. Akin to 1930's Germany.

Who funds the anti russia propaganda site bellingcat? http://newsvideo.su/video/9455566
Pretty obvious really.
Old 30-10-2014, 07:11 AM
gastros/kids/delis/olives

AndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is here
Quote:
I then realised it was a Deer.

Doh! A deer, a female deer?
Old 30-10-2014, 07:19 AM
ACII

Oddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

I only use South Eastern now and there are rarely delays, suppose the line is less complicated though.
You what guv? They are abysmal !
Old 30-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyStreet View Post
you are only allowed to use that line if you post the clip

The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 30-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Mind your sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
You what guv? They are abysmal !
I only go Elmers End to Ladywell and vice versa. The odd delay, but not the daily shite the East Grinstead line used to serve up.
Old 30-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Malarkey - wow, just wow.

On the deer strike thing, they're not famous for being intelligent animals, but I would've thought they would have good enough hearing to notice the train and be nervy enough to get out of the way in time. I presume they'd be tough for a driver to spot though?
Old 30-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Time For Heroes

CPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is hereCPFC_DAVE77 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
Why was the conductor late? Do you think it was his fault, do you think the company said "we're being fined 90 a min for delays but have a extra 10 mins to finish that crossword" no he was delayed on a incoming service.

You seem to advocate that conductors don't do announcements??

Every carriage has electronic boards telling you where the train goes and what is the next stop. They even tell you what carriage you are in. I'm sure that by the next World Cup they'll even tell you what the current match scores are. If you are blind or can't read, the train also automatically tells you this information in an audio format.

So yes, I don't think a conductor is needed to repeat the information, no. And I certainly don't think a half empty train needs to be held while we wait for someone to do this.
Old 30-10-2014, 08:19 AM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:

We often get reports from drivers of a pair of deer adjacent to the line down at West Wickham.
Old 30-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Mind your sandwiches

Are you sure they didn't say old dears?
Old 30-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Computer says no!!

bigdazza08 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebigdazza08 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebigdazza08 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebigdazza08 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebigdazza08 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebigdazza08 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebigdazza08 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebigdazza08 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebigdazza08 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebigdazza08 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebigdazza08 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyStreet View Post
Trains do they ever arrive on tiiiiime.
Old 30-10-2014, 08:25 AM

richdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrichdeniro came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
@SouthernRailUK: Due to safety checks being made in the #Selhurst area services between East Croydon & Victoria are being delayed by up to 10 minutes,

Don't think the service has run relatively normal this entire week. It's been abysmal.
Old 30-10-2014, 08:31 AM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
I only go Elmers End to Ladywell and vice versa. The odd delay, but not the daily shite the East Grinstead line used to serve up.
Think yourself lucky that you don't need to use SouthEastern to get into London, they are beyond incompetent.
Old 30-10-2014, 08:50 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post
Malarkey - wow, just wow.

On the deer strike thing, they're not famous for being intelligent animals, but I would've thought they would have good enough hearing to notice the train and be nervy enough to get out of the way in time. I presume they'd be tough for a driver to spot though?
I used to drive through Richmond Park a lot and have seen near misses.

Deer are herd animals and what tended to happen was that the front ones would clear the road and be aware of the cars, but ones further back would be so ingrained that they must follow the others that they'd jump out in front a car to catch up!

If they'd just stayed still until the car had passed by, the back markers would have been fine. But no, their brains seem to panic and tell them to dash forwards to catch up with the others. Herd instinct would override all else.
Old 30-10-2014, 08:52 AM
ACII

Oddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOddjob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
Think yourself lucky that you don't need to use SouthEastern to get into London, they are beyond incompetent.
True dat
Old 30-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Mind your sandwiches

They were ok a couple of years ago when I did Chatham-London Bridge, aside from the winter, but yes I'm generally glad that I don't need to go up Town every day.
Old 30-10-2014, 08:55 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin eagle View Post
Hi Yoda,

I would guess the noises you heard from the roof were from the pantograph struggling to stay in contact with the overhead wires and possibly bringing them down. I've hit quite a few deer but have the advantage of driving a diesel train so don't have the added worry of 25000 volts above my head and the possibility of insulators flying through my windscreen at 100mph. Even faster on the eurostar of course. They should have told you it was a deer strike at the time and it does seem possible. Some of the buggers up here are as big as cows, or cooes as the locals call 'em. Dunno about french ones, they were probably on strike, although 'strike' is probably the wrong word.
Thanks for the feedback Elgin and Keltic.

The BBS is the source of endless knowledge!