Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:45 PM

TWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vicar View Post
Derek Jeffries, innit.
Good knowledge, thanks, that's a new palace player I'm now aware of.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:56 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle View Post
I wonder if riedeweld would fit the sweeper role quite well. Have Palace ever played a sweeper?
Yes, under Coppell around 92/93. Eddie McGoldrick played there.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:44 PM

TWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWELLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
So he did! Well remembered
Old 02-08-2017, 08:46 PM

CPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
I thought Eddie was our pacy winger?
Old 02-08-2017, 08:48 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Eddie was brilliant as a sweeper. Didn't play many games there from memory but he was a class act.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:51 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Palace View Post
Eddie was brilliant as a sweeper. Didn't play many games there from memory but he was a class act.
And if you offer him 10 grand he will bang in 10 goals in no time as well. Wish that worked these days
Old 02-08-2017, 09:00 PM

exiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Good knowledge, thanks, that's a new palace player I'm now aware of.
Fairly sure Stewart Jump also played there , if Jeffries wasn't available .
Old 02-08-2017, 09:00 PM

exiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Great player winger or sweeper .
Old 02-08-2017, 09:01 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
And if you offer him 10 grand he will bang in 10 goals in no time as well. Wish that worked these days
Old 02-08-2017, 11:14 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
I wonder if riedeweld would fit the sweeper role quite well. Have Palace ever played a sweeper?
Eddie McGoldrick in one or two matches I seem to remember which was a bit of a surprise at the time.

(edit - sorry - I had the page open so long that I hadn't see the other posts - honest

Last edited by Martin H; 02-08-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:19 PM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Gav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Liverpool away if I remember right. He had a great game
Old 02-08-2017, 11:38 PM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vicar View Post
Derek Jeffries, innit.
Jeffries was a pretty good defender but Mel Blyth (who was a God) was our first sweeper - and IMHO was only kept out of the England team back then by Bobby Moore, the finest sweeper of all time.

" Heh, Norm! How's life treating you?"

"Like I just ran over his dog."
Old 02-08-2017, 11:53 PM

The Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Vicar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledeagle View Post
Fairly sure Stewart Jump also played there , if Jeffries wasn't available .
Good memory, that is correct as I recall
Old 02-08-2017, 11:59 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Was Shaw used as a sweeper( I thought he was) or DM? Brilliant in whatever position It was , that said my memory is not the same so he probably was deployed purely for man marking.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:05 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gav View Post
Liverpool away if I remember right. He had a great game
Including an own goal if my memory serves!
Old 03-08-2017, 12:08 AM

Merrow eagle is sweet in winter, sweet in rain - shake well before use she saidMerrow eagle is sweet in winter, sweet in rain - shake well before use she saidMerrow eagle is sweet in winter, sweet in rain - shake well before use she saidMerrow eagle is sweet in winter, sweet in rain - shake well before use she saidMerrow eagle is sweet in winter, sweet in rain - shake well before use she saidMerrow eagle is sweet in winter, sweet in rain - shake well before use she saidMerrow eagle is sweet in winter, sweet in rain - shake well before use she saidMerrow eagle is sweet in winter, sweet in rain - shake well before use she saidMerrow eagle is sweet in winter, sweet in rain - shake well before use she saidMerrow eagle is sweet in winter, sweet in rain - shake well before use she saidMerrow eagle is sweet in winter, sweet in rain - shake well before use she said
Fairly sure Gerry Francis also played a few games as sweepr
Old 03-08-2017, 12:23 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
Was Shaw used as a sweeper( I thought he was) or DM? Brilliant in whatever position It was , that said my memory is not the same so he probably was deployed purely for man marking.
He was often given the man marking job from what I remember. Whether that was in defence on a forward or in midfield. He was really good at just nullifying their star player.

Re some of the other posts, I think some must be using the term sweeper differently to how I would. Not saying it's wrong, buts it's just different to how I would see it. I.e. Bobby Moore wasn't a true sweeper to me. He was often labelled as a sweeper though in the press. When he was playing teams typically had a big CH who tended to be clumsy but great in the air and then a shorter, more nimble player alongside them. Bobby was the best of these in his day and truly World Class due to his composure and reading of the game. No pace, not great in the air but you never noticed somehow. It's true that the little guy of the partnership would be expected to 'sweep up' alongside and around the CH but not in the sense that a Sweeper would in say Italy where they would sit slightly deeper behind defenders. Beckenbauer played DM, the second central defender role or as a genuine sweeper at different times in his career. The most famous was an Italian dude and I can't remember his flaming name but he, like Beckenbauer could control the game from there.

Aha - remembered - Baresi? Or something like that.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:29 AM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Eddie was great as a sweeper as much as he was a loss on the wing... when a goal bonus was in play

Hayden Mullins and Andy Roberts played the odd game as sweeper, both very classy and made it look like they had all the time in the world on the ball
Old 03-08-2017, 06:23 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
That's jogged my memory. Don't think Shaw was ever used as a sweeper but I'm almost certain Coppell had Thorn as a sort of sweeper in THAT 1990 semi against a Liverpool.

We had 5 across the back with Thorn dropping deep.

---------------------Thorn------------------
Pembo-----Shaw-----------O'Reilly-----Salako
Old 03-08-2017, 06:32 AM
Fiddling the statistics

Eagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by palace_burger View Post
Eddie was great as a sweeper as much as he was a loss on the wing... when a goal bonus was in play

Hayden Mullins and Andy Roberts played the odd game as sweeper, both very classy and made it look like they had all the time in the world on the ball
Weird fact: Andy Roberts is younger than Kevin Philips. Yet it seems that they played in different eras.