Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:49 AM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
Was Shaw used as a sweeper( I thought he was) or DM? Brilliant in whatever position It was , that said my memory is not the same so he probably was deployed purely for man marking.
He played as a DM quite a bit in 93/94 promotion year. Mind you we also had Southgate in midfield back then. When you think about it it's no wonder we romped it that year
Old 03-08-2017, 06:52 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
He played as a DM quite a bit in 93/94 promotion year. Mind you we also had Southgate in midfield back then. When you think about it it's no wonder we romped it that year
Yes. The team that Coppell built flattered Alan Smith somewhat that season.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:26 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palace_burger View Post
Eddie was great as a sweeper as much as he was a loss on the wing... when a goal bonus was in play

Hayden Mullins and Andy Roberts played the odd game as sweeper, both very classy and made it look like they had all the time in the world on the ball
Saw an Andy Roberts masterclass at Sweeper up at Leicester back in the day. Made the game look so easy and seemed to be playing the game a couple of secs ahead if everyone else. Also remember him playing alongside Simon Rodgers in that infamous floodlight match when they were dominating everything until it went dark (I might be mixing up 2 matches but think it was that one). I was surprised when it all fizzled out for him and we let him go. Intelligent player. Because he came from Millwall it was uphill for him.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:52 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
We had some good 'sweepers', but it always struck me as a position that could make a player look good, because you're basically an extra piece at the back. I'm not sure if any of our players ever reached the height of a truly great sweeper who could also fill the void further up the field rather than just defensive duties
Old 03-08-2017, 08:00 AM

Madden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
He was often given the man marking job from what I remember. Whether that was in defence on a forward or in midfield. He was really good at just nullifying their star player.

Re some of the other posts, I think some must be using the term sweeper differently to how I would. Not saying it's wrong, buts it's just different to how I would see it. I.e. Bobby Moore wasn't a true sweeper to me. He was often labelled as a sweeper though in the press. When he was playing teams typically had a big CH who tended to be clumsy but great in the air and then a shorter, more nimble player alongside them. Bobby was the best of these in his day and truly World Class due to his composure and reading of the game. No pace, not great in the air but you never noticed somehow. It's true that the little guy of the partnership would be expected to 'sweep up' alongside and around the CH but not in the sense that a Sweeper would in say Italy where they would sit slightly deeper behind defenders. Beckenbauer played DM, the second central defender role or as a genuine sweeper at different times in his career. The most famous was an Italian dude and I can't remember his flaming name but he, like Beckenbauer could control the game from there.
Aha - remembered - Baresi? Or something like that.
Franco Baresi made the Libero role his own! Bobby Moore rarely crossed the half way line and could read the game better than anyone. He could also play a stopper role as he was comfortable with both feet and good in the air. Steve Coppell played a "double sweeper" in a league game at Forest away about 1991. This resulted in a 1-0 win a few days after they had knocked us out of the FA cup. Geoff Thomas was one of the two sweepers deployed that day, not sure of the other?
Old 03-08-2017, 08:01 AM
Banned by Moderators

jimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjimmy the gent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Saw an Andy Roberts masterclass at Sweeper up at Leicester back in the day. Made the game look so easy and seemed to be playing the game a couple of secs ahead if everyone else. Also remember him playing alongside Simon Rodgers in that infamous floodlight match when they were dominating everything until it went dark (I might be mixing up 2 matches but think it was that one). I was surprised when it all fizzled out for him and we let him go. Intelligent player. Because he came from Millwall it was uphill for him.
Andy Roberts was superb at sweeper. Read the game so well, and had a brilliant range of passing, at times almost Hoddle esque. Never really was the same player at a Centre Mid. Class act all the same.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:43 AM

Tim of the 80's : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTim of the 80's : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTim of the 80's : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTim of the 80's : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTim of the 80's : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTim of the 80's : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTim of the 80's : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTim of the 80's : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTim of the 80's : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTim of the 80's : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTim of the 80's : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
Smith could never work out who his central midfield two were. It was constantly changing with shaw, Rodger and even O' Connor in there with Bowry and Newman.
Think I remember Edworthy having a go at sweeper.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:46 AM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy the gent View Post
Andy Roberts was superb at sweeper. Read the game so well, and had a brilliant range of passing, at times almost Hoddle esque. Never really was the same player at a Centre Mid. Class act all the same.
Absolutely.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:54 AM

Pub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPub Idol came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Roberts went to Wimbledon and played several more premier league seasons. We were down (or going down) and we cashed in.

But you are right - He should have probably had a better career overall.

On another note he also started abysmally for Palace - He was so bad the rumours circulated that he hated Palace etc But he turned it round thankfully.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm pretty sure that the first time Palace ever deployed a sweeper was when Malcolm Allison moved young Mark Lindsay back there in the 73/74 season (or it might have been 74/75). I think he'd been a young winger up until then, but everyone kept commenting on how good he looked in this role, which was a very unusual one in England at the time.

But I was never convinced. As Vince Hilaire's Afro observed, it's a position where a player could look good, because he was filling space no-one else occupied, so it looked like he had a lot of time on the ball. It wasn't effective, because we continued to lose games. And despite the praise Lindsay had received, Allison abandoned the tactic, and Lindsay's Palace career was a short one

Anyone else remember him?
Old 03-08-2017, 05:17 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hart View Post
I'm pretty sure that the first time Palace ever deployed a sweeper was when Malcolm Allison moved young Mark Lindsay back there in the 73/74 season (or it might have been 74/75). I think he'd been a young winger up until then, but everyone kept commenting on how good he looked in this role, which was a very unusual one in England at the time.

But I was never convinced. As Vince Hilaire's Afro observed, it's a position where a player could look good, because he was filling space no-one else occupied, so it looked like he had a lot of time on the ball. It wasn't effective, because we continued to lose games. And despite the praise Lindsay had received, Allison abandoned the tactic, and Lindsay's Palace career was a short one

Anyone else remember him?
Definitely remember him as he was the first black player I saw in a Palace shirt. Can't remember many of his games though and about the same time there was Martin Hinshelwood breaking through, who looked like he would be a sensational midfielder, but got a bad knee injury during the 75/76 season and hardly played again - the Johnny Williams of his day.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:43 PM

Harry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Mark Lindsay was also the first time I watched Palace under Big Mal deploy a sweeper, it was of course widely used in Italian football and known as Cannachio (sp) which was in effect a bolt like system at the rear of the defence.

No wonder Italian games were so often low scoring games.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:05 PM
17 years for 3,250 posts

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Had high hopes for him at the time. Like we all still do today when we hear of another exciting product from the youth team.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:34 AM

DHeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDHeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDHeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDHeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDHeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDHeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDHeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDHeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDHeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDHeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDHeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyStover7 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Great article.

Although I am not sure if the second video is evidence of good defending, as he put the clearance in an incredibly dangerous area.
Good awareness, although a hungrier forward could have got to the cross ahead of him. Not going to judge the clearance as anyone can get an awkward ball like that and half the job is not putting it in your own net there.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:58 PM

PeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Looked classy and definitely taller then 6ft looks about 6,2 maybe even 6,3.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:03 AM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeckhamSpring View Post
Looked classy and definitely taller then 6ft looks about 6,2 maybe even 6,3.
6'4, 6'5, 6'6? Maybe 6'1?
Old 06-08-2017, 12:06 AM

PeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePeckhamSpring : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF View Post
6'4, 6'5, 6'6? Maybe 6'1?
No.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:20 AM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeckhamSpring View Post
No.
Just like 6'1 or 6'2 then. He's 6'.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:13 AM

JannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
6 foot two, eyes of blue .....
Old 06-08-2017, 01:49 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Looking at the way he has sort of round shoulders and slouches refinds me of a former Palace player, I just can't think who.

It might be Jobi McAnuff or Mikele Leigertwood - I think it's Jobi.