Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 10-01-2013, 09:54 AM

Rasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it or not, to be honest. I suppose I am, as unlike the descent of their live performances from electronic gods to pseudo-rock band, their studio work is still recognisably mainly electronic. But live, I'm really not that bothered about seeing them any more (not that they'd come to Aus anyway, in all likelihood.) So it'll almost certainly be 26 and out for me on the DM gig front.
Funny how views can differ so much. I tend to think that they are miles better live than in the studio. Sure there are times when the studio take is better. (wrong live was exactly the title) however there are a lot of tracks that don't come over in studio the way they do live.
Old 20-01-2013, 08:29 PM

Rasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down lowRasheed Harkouk will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Rumour now has it that the "Heaven" single release has been put back to 5th Feb.

On another note i'm flogging some Depeche Mode live and demo C.D's. If you are interested PM me.
Old 21-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed Harkouk
Funny how views can differ so much. I tend to think that they are miles better live than in the studio. Sure there are times when the studio take is better. (wrong live was exactly the title) however there are a lot of tracks that don't come over in studio the way they do live.
Perhaps I'm coming at it from a different direction to you. I got into DM in early 1982 when they were, in my eyes, synth gods. At that time that was the only type of music I was really interested in. Their gigs back in the mid 80s through to World Violation in 90 were, for me, absolutely brilliant. And the studio albums just got better and better, culminating in the masterpiece that is Violator (my second favourite album of all time, only behind Upstairs At Eric's.)

But I really didn't like the way they changed from SOFAD onwards, especially live, even though there is still electronica in the studio work to sustain me (Precious, for example, was wonderful for me - MLG back to his best). For me, the most disappointed I have ever been by a concert was the Devotional gig at Crystal Palace which for obvious reasons I was looking forward to soooo much. My experience on various DM forums is that I'm pretty much a lone voice in saying that, as many thought that gig was the best ever, but it's just my opinion. I hated every second of it.

I'm a DM fan primarily because of their electronic roots, so to see them doing the raaawk thing with a drummer, a wookie on the piano, and Mart playing guitar more than synths, and Dave doing feckin' star jumps at the end of a 30 second drum roll at the end of songs is just like death by a thousand cuts for me. If I wanted to go and see a proper rock band I would go and see someone else.

In addition, I reckon Dave's voice live has seriously deteriorated. You don't really notice it so much when you're there, but hear a recording of it, and bloody hell he sounds terrible sometimes. Every time he shouts "Try walking in maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah shooooooesssssssssssss" [fabulous song, btw] another sliver of my love for them dies.

But look, as I said I realise I'm in a minority and that's fine. If they toured Australia I'd undoubtedly go and see them. But they won't, and I'm pretty relaxed about it and resigned to probably never seeing them live again.

ps - caught up with Sarah when I was over in London in November. Dubstar seems to be moving slowly (very) but surely. Will let you know if I hear anything more.
Old 21-01-2013, 10:46 AM

Cheers on the Dubstar fella.

Ok so I first saw them in Feb 82 and for sure they were much more interesting back in those days. I used to love the towers of metal synth percussion they would come to whack at times, very nice. I didn't mind the Palace gig tbh, although only later on finding out how fcked Gahan was at the time so maybe it was more the atmosphere that carried me through. I certainly prefer the more extreme ranges of the Mode and I do very much like their live renditions of certain tracks.

There's a part of me that likes the mode as an electro only band and there is a part that secretly yearns for them to be an electro thrash live act but there is no part of me that wants the M.O.R dirge that proliferated the last album.

Oh and fave album.. Some Great Reward
Old 21-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Dirge is right with just a couple of exceptions. Jezebel was, for the first time with Martin, predictable - I knew as soon as he sang the first line that the second would end in 'hell'. I think apart from the Slow Mix of It's Called A Heart, Jezebel is the worst thing they've ever done.
Old 24-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

jordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
New Studio Album ‘Delta Machine’ Set For Release March 26th on Columbia Records

Depeche Mode to Debut Video for First Single ‘Heaven’ on VEVO Next Friday, February 1st

(Columbia Records; New York, NY; January 24, 2013) – Depeche Mode have announced they will release their highly anticipated 13th studio album, entitled Delta Machine, on March 26th worldwide via Columbia Records. The album, recorded over the last year in Santa Barbara, California and New York City, was produced by Ben Hillier and mixed by Flood. In addition to the album announcement, Depeche Mode have also confirmed that the video for the first single “Heaven” will debut on VEVO next Friday, February 1st. Alongside a standard CD format, Depeche Mode will release Delta Machine in an exclusive Deluxe Edition with four additional new tracks and accompanied by a 28 page hardcover book including photos by longtime artistic collaborator Anton Corbijn (please see track listing, as well as album and single configurations below).

Martin Gore said of the release, “Writing this album was incredibly daunting as I wanted the sound of this collection to be very modern. I want people to feel good about listening to this record, to get some kind of peace. It’s just got something magical about it.”

Dave Gahan added, “With this release we’ve completely shifted our idea of how to create an album. When we hit a wall where we realize the album is beginning to sound too normal, we’ll mess it up and really give it that organic Depeche Mode Sound. Delta Machine is no different, and I can’t wait for all of our fans to hear it.”

Following the release of their new album, Depeche Mode will embark on a European stadium tour, kicking off in Tel Aviv’s Hayarkon Park on May 7th. They will perform 34 shows in 25 European countries, featuring appearances at Milan’s famed San Siro Stadium, the Stade De France in Paris, and Moscow’s Locomotive Stadium before wrapping up the European leg of their tour in Minsk, Belarus on July 29. A full North American tour will follow, with details to be announced in the coming weeks.

The tracklisting for Delta Machine is as follows:

STANDARD:
1 - Welcome To My World
2 - Angel
3 - Heaven
4 - Secret To The End
5 - My Little Universe
6 - Slow
7 - Broken
8 - The Child Inside
9 - Soft Touch / Raw Nerve
10 - Should Be Higher
11 - Alone
12 - Soothe My Soul
13 - Goodbye

DELUXE EDITION: (includes hardcover 28-page booklet)

DISC 1
1 - Welcome To My World
2 - Angel
3 - Heaven
4 - Secret To The End
5 - My Little Universe
6 - Slow
7 - Broken
8 - The Child Inside
9 - Soft Touch / Raw Nerve
10 - Should Be Higher
11 - Alone
12 - Soothe My Soul
13 - Goodbye

DISC 2
1 - Long Time Lie
2 - Happens All The Time
3 - Always
4 - All That’s Mine

The tracklisting for the “Heaven” CD single is as follows:

“Heaven” CD SINGLE:
1 - Heaven
2 - All That’s Mine (b side bonus track)

“Heaven” CD MAXI:
1 - Heaven
2 - Heaven (Owlle Remix)
3 - Heaven (steps to heaven rmx)
4 - Heaven (Blawan Remix)
5 - Heaven (Mathew Dear vs Audion Remix)
Some musicians are meant to be heard but not seen - merely an auditory experience and nothing more. Berlin's IAMX, on the other hand, isnt merely a band... it's an event - a full-on aural and visual attack with the dynamic and inimitable Chris Corner (of Sneaker Pimps) leading the charge.
Old 24-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Veteran

Thanks!
Old 25-01-2013, 08:51 PM

Track 13 sounds ominous
Old 28-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

jordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Some musicians are meant to be heard but not seen - merely an auditory experience and nothing more. Berlin's IAMX, on the other hand, isnt merely a band... it's an event - a full-on aural and visual attack with the dynamic and inimitable Chris Corner (of Sneaker Pimps) leading the charge.
Old 28-01-2013, 10:33 PM

Like the way no one has really heard anything as yet and we're nearly at release date. Better than the leaks and snippets that were released last time around.
Old 29-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

It's like the old days when you didn't hear anything until you heard it on the radio.
A slow song by what's being said. Different for a first single. I'm sure it will get mixed reviews
Old 29-01-2013, 10:17 PM

Well be the first time i'll only be picking up the digital download and not the hardcopy itself. Trying to shift out my CD's as it is, not add to them.

Got a bunch of live C.D's from over the years if any of you are interested? from the 80's and 90's as well as more recent.
Old 30-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

It's leaked

Just heard both new songs from the single
Very different Heaven. Really loved the verses. Slow song.
Not a first single though. Will be a grower

B side is very electronic. Pretty good.
Old 30-01-2013, 02:54 PM
morale officer

Joe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
just heard both as well. listened to both songs 3 times now and very impressed. Production sounds far more straightforward which i presume is Floods influence (i didnt like the production of PTA and SOTU)
Old 31-01-2013, 10:50 AM

K, heard it now and well the production is much better but doesn't feel like a single, more like an album track.

If it wasn't for the fact that it's the Mode i doubt i'd have given it a second listen.

Last edited by Rasheed Harkouk; 31-01-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanismygod
B side is very electronic. Pretty good.
All That's Mine is apprently written by Dave. I quite like it.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

Sounds like a few people have been to the 'Delta Machine' playback today.
Here is one small review.

"It's fair to say that 'Heaven' sounds nothing like the rest of the album. It's a record filled with contradictions and surprises. There are moments of intricate beauty, songs which sound like Depeche Mode recycling their best bits through a thoroughly modern filter and tracks that echo their early Eighties synth-pop roots. The blues that Gahan wanted to showcase is undoubtedly here, but it's a uniquely Depeche take on the blues. Musically, the whole thing is dense, crammed with ideas, tracks evolving frequently from basic beginnings to completely unexpected conclusions."
Twenty years ago, Depeche Mode released 'Songs Of Faith And Devotion', a record filled with howling guitars, noise blasts, gospel pleas and few echoes of their previous electronic works. Gahan was re-cast as a nihilistic long-haired, tattooed rockstar wastrel. With 'Delta Machine', and particularly on the strength of 'Heaven' many fans were expecting some sort of much-delayed follow-up to that album. The truth is that 'Delta Machine' feels like a follow-up to more or less everything that this band have done across their thirty-odd year existence. And that's no bad thing at all.

Last edited by jordanismygod; 05-02-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:51 PM

Hopefully that's an unbiased account, and if so great.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

Some other reviews from the listening party do sound rather good.
Heres hoping
Old 13-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

Here's an early review from someone who heard the album at a istening party today.

Sooo… overall impressions first. For all the talk about Flood being on board and of Martin describing the album as ”a mixture of SOFAD and Violator”, the way that I hear it is that it’s very much the third part of the Ben Hillier album trilogy. The sound is cleaner and harsher than on PTA, but some overall problems still persist. But like Mark1975 wrote, PTA was in many ways a tribute to DM’s pasts, so there are similar nods to past glories scattered all over the album.

One of those problems is the much-talked about lack of middle-eights, which really plagues especially the first half of the album. I’ll mention it here, because otherwise I would moan about it on almost every other track review. It’s frustrating because there are some excellent DM songs on Delta (Welcome To My World and Secret to The End to name a couple, which are separated from the future classic status only due to the lack of somebody making them go the extra mile.)

Another thing I’ll mention here, that I don’t think DM is capable of providing us with anything truly new and original. So Delta Machine won’t really give us anyhting totally new, but otherwise it shows a reinvigorated band at the top the game of being a 32-year Depeche Mode. And at its best moments (of which there are a lot) it provides the old themes and subjects with new twists.

1. Welcome To My World.
A soft techno pulse makes one wonder if this is an instrumental like some predicted, but then Dave comes in: ”Welcome to my world / step right through the door”. More like the slow build of In Chains instead of the burst of energy that was APTIUT, this is an intelligent and promising start which leads into a spine-tinglingly word and ascendant chorus in which Dave half-promises and half-threatens to ”penetrate your soul” and ”bleed into your dreams”. We are instructed to ”watch the sunlight fade” and ”see the moon begin to blush” and blimey, this is great indeed – like WIME pojected into the 2013. After the second chorus I’m ready to be swept off my feet, but – blah – once again the song bleeps and bloops out instead of giving us anything more. Still, a very good start.

2. Angel
The one we already know. I didn’t want to spoil it before the album and because I wasn’t blown by it, it was easy to save it for the album. So I’ll just say that I spot no major deviations from the track we’ve heard.

3. Heaven.
I’ll just say that as a single it’s quite underwhelming, but it provides a welcome respite from all the harsh electro on the album.

4. Secret To The End
The album picks up with an uptempo electro stomp, spiced with some dirty guitar. For once we have a proper chorus (hooray!) which may look silly on paper but works intensively accompanied by music: ”The problem should’ve been you / (”should’ve been you”) / (”would’ve been you”)/ (”could’ve been you”) / If it hadn’t been me / (”hadn’t been me”) / (”hadn’t been me)” – Martin and Dave shouting the latter parts of the chorus on top of each other. I suspect it’s a Dave track, because out of the first six ones it’s the one I can’t instantly recognize as pure Gore. But it’s not a sign of disrespect, this is a strong song. Some very It’s No Good –style sounds in the instrumental section after the second chorus.

5. My Little Universe
With ”My little universe is expanding” and ”beautiful emptiness surrounds me” and pointillistic beats peppering the sparse soundscape, this sounds very much like a Martin track – but it’s still sung by Dave for some reason. Short sharp bursts of melody break the sonic surface here and there, but this is still very much ”experimental DM” in the style of Macro and Counterfeit 2. The chorus is surprisingly non-melodic and solipsistic: ”Here I am king / I decide everything / I let no-one in / no-one”. I like this a lot, but I’m sure this will be among the more controversial tracks of Delta. The tempo picks up a bit towards the end in the style of IAMX’s Music People, but to nowhere as dramatic an effect.

6. Slow
After a couple of very electronic tracks, the blues influence is back with a bang: ”Slow, slow, slow as you can go / I want my senses to overflow” the song starts with its chorus-substitute (this is one of the songs, where one can’t really say what is verse and what is chorus). The guitars drawl more traditionally than usual and while some might moan the lack of a catchy hook, I personally love this and find some good couplets here and there: ”I let the world keep its colourful pace / I prefer to just study your beautiful face”.

7. Broken
After a couple of perhaps less commercial tracks, the single-writing DM is back with a bang. This is an instant hit with me: sound-wise and thematically between the haunting but intense Little 15 and the mysterious speeding drama of Behind The Wheel. The chorus is by far the most catchy and commercial on the album: ”When you fall in / I will catch you / You don’t have to fall that far / You can make it/ I will be there / You were broken from the start”. For the life of me, I can’t decide whether this is Dave or Martin – because I love it, I feel it’s Mart, but writing down those lyrics (which once again work much better while sung) I can’t help feeling it’s Dave. Well done, whoever! They were insane to not put this out as the first single.

8. The Child Inside
The soft baby steps of Intrespectre-y synths pitter-patter in so this must be the first instrumental, right? But no, Martin follows them with a truly creepy lyric, with the first verse ending with something like ”you really should have dug a little deeper / the body parts that you’re beginning to find / are starting to scare the child inside away” (I most likely got the phrasing wrong, but that’s the idea. Brr! Martin’s tremolo is also getting more advanced, the older he gets. This is not one of those lush Martin ballads many of us (me included) wish that he still wrote, but this is still atmospheric and rather brilliant. ”You really should have taken all your dolls to bed with you”.

9. Soft Touch / Raw Nerve
Rather curiously, so far Delta has been rather slow or midtempo, but with this track the album speeds up instead of calming down – which is what albums usually do, right. The song breaks the door with Dave barging in like a brute: ”Have I got a soft touch / Have I got a soft touch? / Or is my radar that off?” Well, yes. The overall mood is quite Better Days, but the songer is softer than that and a more melodic ”Oh brother, give me a helping hand” part gives the song some inventive dynamics. Unless I’m totally wrong, this even has a middle eight. Hooray! I’m sure I’ll love this after more listens.

10. Should Be Higher
Another stomper, this time Gary Glitter on amphetamine being the main influence. I’m not wondering why this has been rumoured as the second single: it does build up nicely and the chorus works well in a rather epic, non-DM style. Dave’s vocals are mixed curiously low in the chorus and his emotive singing reminds of HIM’s Ville Valo here. The rather hopelessly naff chorus lyrics: ”Your lies are more attractive than your truth / Love is all I want / Your lies are written down there in your heart / Love is all I want” reveal that this must be a Dave track, but otherwise it’s a goodie.

11. Alone
Another potential uptempo single with the lyrics playing the usual DM game of love-as-religion: ”I am your father, your son, your holy ghost and your priest”. The chorus ”I couldn’t save your soul / I couldn’t even take you home / I couldn’t have played that role / Alobe” has hints of an epic backing melody that I wish would have been taken further. But yes, another track, another hit.

12. Soothe My Soul
The first 11 tracks have taken us past the 50-minute mark and perhaps that’s where Delta should have ended, since with SMS the album finally runs out of steam. This is cliched sub-corrupt stuff indeed: ”I’m coming for you when the sun goes down / I’m coming for you when there’s no-one around / I’ll come to your house and break your door / I’m coming for you because I need to feel your skin”. All this because, as the chorus goes, ”there’s only one way to soothe my soul”. All this is very naff indeed and perhaps a bit sad coming from fifty-something men. I must say the actual tune is not that bad in its b-side-y way, but otherwise than that, this is the one true misstep on the album. I truly hope this is a Dave song, because this kind of laziness just shouldn’t be expected from Mart at this stage.

13. Goodbye
After hiding in the background for a while, the blues guitars make a comeback – this time in a Pleasure Little Treasure style. The vowels are very stretched in the vocals, so I had a hard time writing anything comprehensible about them – but the chorus goes ”Goodbye again”, the ”again” perhaps soothing down those who try to read too much into the title. The track has a false ending and them crashes back with an explosive last minute. This is not a bad song, and definitely a grower, but with Soothe My Soul breaking the album’s spell, this feels a bit unnecessary. Perhaps they should have called it quits while they were still ahead.