Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 21-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Forza Palace

Palace Ultra : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Ultra : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Ultra : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Ultra : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Ultra : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Ultra : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Ultra : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Ultra : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Ultra : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Ultra : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace Ultra : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Sounds superb.

Re the album, has a release date been announced yet?

I'm going to both London concerts. Really hope they include one or 2 songs from 81-85, reworked accordingly....but I don't expect they will.
Old 21-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The album's out in October apparently. They might do an 81-85 track on the basis that on dm.com Brat ran a poll asking what people wanted to hear, and by far the largest response was in favour of "Pre-1986."

I'd settle for Puppets or The Landscape Is Changing, myself!
Old 21-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Sensual Member

Miss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
The album's out in October apparently. They might do an 81-85 track on the basis that on dm.com Brat ran a poll asking what people wanted to hear, and by far the largest response was in favour of "Pre-1986."

Ah, wouldn't that be fantastic. I'd settle for Stories of Old, Shame, If You Want, Two Minute Warning, Photographic... oh too many...
Old 22-07-2005, 07:25 AM
snootchie bootchies

paf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tat
Quote:
Originally posted by JJ

I've managed not to get any London tickets, I always forget. Any spares?
Old 22-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Nope - had them, sold them!
Old 04-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

jordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
This October, Depeche Mode release their first album since 2001's two million-selling Exciter. "I really felt, before we started this album, that there was unfinished business," says Dave Gahan of their 11th studio album, Playing The Angel. And so it is that the world's foremost subversive electronic pop group have reconvened to, as the singer puts it, "make the best record we can." They just can't shake the disease.

Playing The Angel is an astonishingly fresh, exuberant release from the band who have, over 25 years, sold upwards of 50 million records worldwide and amassed a staggering 38 hit singles in the UK and no fewer than 13 Top 10 albums. And yet they sound like a new group, not one halfway through their third decade together. "Precious", the first single, is quintessential Mode, all cyber pulse and glorious chorus. "The Sinner In Me" perfectly balances the organic and synthetic, and climaxes, as do most of the tracks, with staccato blasts of noise and FX. On "Suffer Well" Dave's voice is more powerful than ever. "Macrovision", sung by Martin Gore, is hi-tech pop with an enormous hook. "John The Revelator" is one of many potential hit singles. "I Want It All" is one of the slower tracks with its minor-key menace, like trip hop from hell. "A Pain That I'm Used To" kicks off what would have been Side 2 in fine, furious style with its savage bursts of guitar.

The title for the album was taken, according to Fletch, from the lyric of a track called "The Darkest Star". The LP was recorded in Santa Barbara, New York and London. Recording began in January 2005 in California, with producer Ben Hillier at the helm providing a sense of challenge. "You have to work hard at reinventing yourself," admits Dave, "so you have to choose new people who push you." Playing The Angel is faster-paced than the last two Mode albums, heightening the sense of urgency and vibrancy. Ben's fondness for analogue synths over digital ones helped shape the sound.

It is also the first Depeche album to feature Dave Gahan credits - three of the tracks ("I Want It All", "Suffer Well" and "Nothing's Impossible") were written by the singer, who was encouraged by the reaction to his debut solo album Paper Monsters (2003). Martin was responsible for the remaining nine tracks. As usual, he was unflinching in his depiction of the dark side of the human condition. In fact, he jokes, the back cover of the LP sleeve may well feature the subtitle: Pain And Suffering In Various Tempos. "Dave said I've made a 25-year career out of one subject. I disagree: it's two!"

When asked what the broad, overarching themes of this record are, Martin smiles: "Anything that appeals to really dysfunctional people." It would be wrong, however, to dismiss Depeche Mode as harvesters of sorrow. "I never see our music as over-dark. There's always an element of hope. And I hope that comes over in the music."

A sense of optimism, of renewed vigour, of pleasure at what they've achieved, can be discerned from Playing The Angel. It's also obvious from the sheer delight Dave, Martin and Andy feel at being back with Depeche Mode, on the eve of the release of a brilliant album and a mammoth, sell-out world tour that confirms the enormity of their global audience.

Dave counts his blessings that he's still actually here to do this. "That we've achieved so much in 25 years, and survived so much... Of all the bands, this is the one I'd have put money on not still being around!" he laughs. "I see ourselves alongside U2 and R.E.M. more than any of the bands we came up with, although really we don't fit in and we never have, and I've come to embrace that - there's no one like Depeche Mode. I might have lost some of my drive in the mid-'90s, but now I've got it back. It's better being in Depeche Mode now than it has been for 15 years."
Some musicians are meant to be heard but not seen - merely an auditory experience and nothing more. Berlin's IAMX, on the other hand, isnt merely a band... it's an event - a full-on aural and visual attack with the dynamic and inimitable Chris Corner (of Sneaker Pimps) leading the charge.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by jordanismygod
Playing The Angel is faster-paced than the last two Mode albums
Hurrah! It could hardly have been slower than Exciter, mind you...

Quote:
Originally posted by jordanismygod Ben's fondness for analogue synths over digital ones helped shape the sound.
Double hurrah!
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

jordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejordanismygod : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Some musicians are meant to be heard but not seen - merely an auditory experience and nothing more. Berlin's IAMX, on the other hand, isnt merely a band... it's an event - a full-on aural and visual attack with the dynamic and inimitable Chris Corner (of Sneaker Pimps) leading the charge.

Last edited by jordanismygod; 10-08-2005 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:15 AM
Asta La Vista Doggies

Heres the actual cover for the single
Attached Images
File Type: jpg precious_cover_wm.jpg (23.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-08-2005, 10:31 AM
snootchie bootchies

paf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tat
Pete Tong premiered the new single, remixed by by the legendary Sasha on Friday night, you can here it in full on the radio 1 website, fast forward through the essential mix to 2 hrs 43 mins.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

Didn't think much of the mix
Old 11-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

Album cover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pta_cover_wm.jpg (26.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 18-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

Another Review

Well, for DM fans I'll start by saying this: this is the darkest album Depeche Mode has released since Alan Wilder's departure from the band, and it ••••••• rocks so much it hurts.

If you have heard the single 'Precious', let me tell you it's not something you can measure the whole thing by, this one sounds heavier and way more aggresive than Exciter or Ultra. There's no sweet 'It's no Good' moment in Playing the Angel, it's dark as Depeche can be. It's like the result of a sex encounter between Violator and Black Celebration.

The first song is 'A Pain that I'm Used To', and this one starts with a very annoying noise, very much like 'I Feel You', with the difference this sound is more digital. Then you'll hear a great beat and ‘bang!, the song starts. This one really encapsulates the whole sound of the record, and it's one off the best tracks.

The second one, 'John The Revelator' sounds like a pissed off version of 'Personal Jesus'. It's not that accesible, but has this march-like feeling to it, and features a chorus that sounds like gospel but it's done by Martin and Andrew I guess. It's the rockiest song on the album, but I'm not sure this would work as second single.

'Suffer Well' is the first of three songs written by Mr. Gahan himself, and it sounds like they did the same thing to it they did to 'Enjoy the Silence': it was more like a ballad but they sped it up and sounds terrific. You'll love it. By this moment you'll notice this CD is insanely dark and menacing, and that's it's presonality.

'The Sinner In Me'. Oh, my dear Lord. This song kicks ass. It's some sort of sinister thing, with tons of violent noises and David sounding like some kind of demon. It truly is breathtaking and was one of my fav tracks the moment it started. Very somber and beautiful song.

'Precious'. By this moment I was totally blown away. Those past four songs are nothing like 'Precious', which is very soft and even danceable. This single is beautiful, not as aggressive and daring as the rest of the record. Anyway, you all know it.

'Marcovision' is the first Martin Gore moment in the record, and it's the most forgettable of both. At first this song sounds like it was taken out of Exciter, very basic, but when the chorus arrives it developes it's full charge and really haunts you. It's slow but has lots of strange sounds attacking your ears.

'I Want It All'. I think somwhere in the official press release you can read this is the slowest song on the record. In some way that's the case, and it's the second song by David Gahan, but it's very interesting, though not that catchy or surprising. It's a good song and that's it.

'Nothing's Impossible' is the third and last collaboration by Dave Gahan, and it features the same kind of effect in his voice that was used in Bono's voice on 'Zoo Station', or in Black Celebration in 'New Dress'. It's like they're singing through some old speakers, but with a digital twist to it. Really cool song, and another somber point.

'Introspectre'. I still don't know why Depeche Mode have decided to name these musical bridges between songs. It's nothing awful, but it will become boring with time and you will skip it. In fact, I think I'll skip it when I get the CD.

'Damaged People' is Martin Gore's second and greatest singing moment in the album. This one could've been a fragile ballad, but instead is dressed like some violent femme fatale from hell. It's ••••••• catchy and has this great melody to the lyrics that will keep you lusting for more.

'Lillian'. My God... this could easily be the second single for this album. Very catchy, danceable and still so Depeche. By the title I figured it would be another ballad, but when it kicked in it was like... ‘crap! Is this the eleventh song? This rocks!!! The chorus is beautiful. It's everything 'I Feel Loved' wanted to be and couldn't. I hope they think of this as the third single if they do 'John the Revelator' as the second.

'The Darkest Star'. If you're a fan you already know the title of the CD comes from this song. It's slow but very intense, and has a lot of layered sounds that make it so big you will cum when it's finished. I was hoping for something like 'Higher Love' or 'Clean' as a closing number, and I ••••••• got it. Very disturbing sounds and awesome vocals by Dave.

There you have it. I just listened to the thing once, I was hoping for a second hearing, but the guys from Warner pulled it off when everyone was already in trance.
I really don't think this could be a commercial success, it's kinda heavy and too dense for today's radio taste, but I welcome that with open arms as most part of the music played in the radio sucks hard. Depeche Mode have done their best since Songs of Faith and Devotion. Let's see how it grows inside of you once it's out.
Old 23-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Sensual Member

Miss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMiss Chief came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
This probably could be another thread entirely but I feel it belongs on here.

Synthesiser pioneer Dr Robert Moog has died at his North Carolina home aged 71, four months after being diagnosed with brain cancer.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Having done some research it seems that Fletch was the one often with the Moog, which doesn't say too much about the capabilities of the instrument, admittedly <clapping hands, clapping hands>.

Happy memories of playing New Life on my synth with 99 useless sounds (such as Machine Gun) for my music exam- got a proud A for the effort (probably because the teacher didn't know what I was doing).

Thank you for the synth sound and RIP, Dr Moog.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Asta La Vista Doggies

Good news for Depeche Mode fans, as the promotion rolls on for their upcoming album, "Playing The Angel". In an interview given Monday, Dave Gahan explained that being in Depeche Mode is better than it has been for the past 15 years and that this is the first time since the mid-eighties that he is certain that Depeche Mode will make another record. And it seems he actually means it.

Dave, who's debuting as a songwriter for Depeche Mode with three songs on the new album, co-wrote his contributions with Mode's drummer-for-hire, Christian Eigner. Mute boss, Daniel Miller had flown to New York last year, and heard Dave's tapes and liked them, unlike "Paper Monsters", which Dave says Daniel "had a hard time with"... then it was decided that the album would have three Dave songs and the rest will come from Martin.

Together, the pair of them had written 15 songs, from which producer Ben Hillier chose the three that fit the album the best. Unlike previous producers, Hillier is not a fan of Depeche Mode by any means. Until his involvement with "Playing The Angel", Hillier had never heard any Depeche Mode album all the way through. And, with the exception of "Playing The Angel", he propably still hasn't. Before the sessions started Hillier was sent a package with the entire Mode catalogue - a package, he revealed as the sessions drew to a close, he had barely bothered to open...

Rather than taking this as an insult, Dave puts a positive spin on it. Hillier's apparant unfamiliarity with Depeche meant that he didn't have any pre-conceived notion of what a Depeche Mode record should sound like, something that might have been a disadvantage to their last two records, both produces by self-proclaimed Mode fans. Looking back, Gahan is far from pleased with the results of their collaboration with the two previous producers. Dave said that during the Exciter sessions Mark Bell just tinkered with computer in the corner, Fletch read magazines, Martin was more interested in making dj tapes in the another room than his own album and Dave was just bored out of his mind. He feels that Ultra and Exciter were the best albums they could do at that given time, but now, looking back, both albums give the impression of a three-legged-dog, ie. stumbling quite a lot, but still getting there at the end.

Now he feels that Hillier really became the fourth leg for them to stand on. Hillier is an old-school coach-type producer who pushes the band. "It came as a shock to Ben, how little we usually do in the studio," explains Dave. So Hillier forced the band to be more active, and created an atmosphere in which all parties were invited to let ideas flow and contribute to the mood.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

The album will be available as a standard 11 track CD and a deluxe version which includes a bonus DVD featuring an exclusive studio performance of Clean, the video for Precious, a photo gallery and a 5.1 mix of the album.

The single will be on 3 formats as follows:

CDBong35
Precious - Album Version
Precious - Sasha's Spooky Mix (Single Edit)

LCDBong35
Precious - Sasha's Gargantuan Vocal Mix (Edit)
Precious - Misc. Full Vocal Mix
Free

DVDBong35
Precious – Video
Precious - Motor Remix
Precious - Michael Mayer Ambient Mix

Precious is currently available to buy as a 1 track download from all local download stores. It has now been added to the iTunes music store in the UK - go here to buy it: To view the link you have to Register or Login There'll be more download news in the near future.

More UK news: We will be making limited edition collectors slipcases available to hold the 3 formats of Precious. If you want one go here To view the link you have to Register or Login to enter your postal details, and Mute will send you one prior to the release of Precious. This is for UK residents only.

And finally: if you are in the UK, the band will be recording a performance of Precious on CD:UK this Saturday, 3rd September. We have 15 (FIFTEEN) guest passes. If you would like 1 (ONE) then send your email address and contact number to dmcomp@mutehq.co.uk with the subject line "CD:UK Competition". We will draw names at random and notify the winners lunchtime Friday (2nd September). You will be responsible for your own travel arrangements to and from CD:UK.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

More specific updates....

Playing The Angel:
> The album will be released (in the U.K. - other territory details pending) as a standard CD, as well as a "deluxe version". The deluxe version will contain:

> Playing The Angel in 5.1 and Stereo (DTS 5.1 - 24 bit, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - 24 bit, and PCM Stereo - 24 bit)
> "Making The Angel" (8:07)
> "Precious" (music video - 4:00)
> "Clean" (Bare - 3:42) - this is a special 'exclusive studio performance'
> Ben Hillier candid studio photo gallery
Old 01-09-2005, 10:22 PM
johnkettleyisaweatherman

eddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is hereeddieskyclad Sam the man is here
Anybody like Mesh?

Nearly 7 million views!!!

WOW!
Old 01-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Anonymous Coward

Let's hope its as good as "songs of faith..", recent albums have been slighty lacking,but SOFAD is still awesome
Old 04-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Asta La Vista Doggies

Quote:
Originally posted by jordanismygod

And finally: if you are in the UK, the band will be recording a performance of Precious on CD:UK this Saturday, 3rd September. We have 15 (FIFTEEN) guest passes. If you would like 1 (ONE) then send your email address and contact number to dmcomp@mutehq.co.uk with the subject line "CD:UK Competition". We will draw names at random and notify the winners lunchtime Friday (2nd September). You will be responsible for your own travel arrangements to and from CD:UK.
They announced at the end of todays show that they will be on this coming Sunday.