Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 19-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
I disagree... Drivers make themselves available for rest day working, but it was never enough. Resource Managers at my old depot were always phoning drivers at home to get work covered. I've mentioned on here before, they got so desperate they would chop up jobs to fit around my school runs. Some drivers want O/T... some drivers don't.
of course some do and some don't but enough so to make the service run in almost all circumstances. Otherwise we'd see mass cancellations on other lines fairly frequently.

We don't
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 19-07-2017, 11:43 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
of course some do and some don't but enough so to make the service run in almost all circumstances. Otherwise we'd see mass cancellations on other lines fairly frequently.

We don't
I would say a fair % of drivers (at my old depot) would have to be convinced in to doing O/T... that would mean Resource Managers phoning them up at home and either offering to tailor jobs around their commitments or throwing money at them.. so to say there is enough that want to do O/T is incorrect... and in summer it gets worse... a few years ago, they got sooo desperate they were offering drivers 150 plus their hourly rate to come in.
Old 19-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Having two parents both doing shift work and sorting childcare is challenging... not doing rest days makes that far less challenging.

Quote:
I agree there. I feel so much better for not working rest days. My Mrs does shift work, and childcare was always stressful. I also have a few business things that require time outside of work... not working rest days has been one of my better decisions. Feel years younger

But yet you are happy to supplement your salary outside with business interests. Of course that sort of goes against being on strike. I wonder if you are more than happy to label those who have to cross a picket line that naughty s word, all the while you are earning money elsewhere on the side.

Still I have learnt a lot the last few days on here.

Quote:
My position has remained the same throughout.
Well no it has. Because before you was telling everyone you needed a guard on trains longer than 10 cars. Now that argument has been crushed you have decided to cling to another argument about the disabled.

Last edited by Latvian Eagle; 19-07-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 19-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Four-eyed shark hunter

Chief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is here
Quote:
it would be happening. We'd simply see more strike action and less overtime bans. The model works throughout the rail industry and many other industries. I don't blame ASLEF for exploiting it now, I would in their position as well.

Going down a different route of lots more drivers simply pushes up costs and therefore fares. The model works the vast majority of the time. And it wouldn't stop their being industrial action in a dispute. So you want to change it and increase everyone's fares why exactly?
It would stop O/T and rest day working bans impacting, which has caused the most pain in this dispute for commuters. It's a daily hit (often unexpected), unlike periodic strikes where at least you have the time to plan alternatives.

Lots more drivers? You mean correct staffing levels to run the timetable. Yes please. And if costs go up, that's the rub isn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
He isnt top class mate

He is a limited player who scores goals with his head
Re Benteke - 14 May 2017
Old 19-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
It would stop O/T and rest day working bans impacting, which has caused the most pain in this dispute for commuters. It's a daily hit (often unexpected), unlike periodic strikes where at least you have the time to plan alternatives.

Lots more drivers? You mean correct staffing levels to run the timetable. Yes please. And if costs go up, that's the rub isn't it.
as I said you'd simply see more strike action iff the overtime ban was not available to ASLEF. It doesn't solve the issue you are trying to solve. And the rest of the time it works fine. So what are you trying to achieve?
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 19-07-2017, 12:00 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
But yet you are happy to supplement your salary outside with business interests. Of course that sort of goes against being on strike. I wonder if you are more than happy to label those who have to cross a picket line that naughty s word, all the while you are earning money elsewhere on the side.

Well no it has. Because before you was telling everyone you needed a guard on trains longer than 10 cars. Now that argument has been crushed you have decided to cling to another argument about the disabled.
I want guards on all trains... but with negotiation you have to be flexible... my red lines are upgraded cctv and disabled access....(that I mentioned 7 months ago)

I don't understand the bit in bold... could you clarify... are you suggesting I've been insulting people that have crossed the picket line?
Old 19-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Vendere e vincere

Popester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
as I said you'd simply see more strike action iff the overtime ban was not available to ASLEF. It doesn't solve the issue you are trying to solve. And the rest of the time it works fine. So what are you trying to achieve?
I agree.

Sensible employers run their businesses with the least number of people required to deliver the service they promise. As you've said, transport companies across the UK operate in the same way as Southern and until recently they were providing an effective service. It would seem that they have enough staff who are normally willing and able to work overtime and enjoy the extra money.

I wish Southern had employed and trained more staff by now, but I don't accept they need so many permanent drivers they never need to rely on overtime. Many commuters already find the cost of travel difficult, and even those who can afford fare increases wont necessarily get a better service for their extra money. Southern will then come under fire for inefficiencies.

Aslef have a vested interest in Southern hiring a lot more permanent employees, and I don't for a minute believe it is purely an ideological one. More employees means more members means more subs means more power means more strikes if they don't get their own way.
Old 19-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Yep. The vested interest point is the one people are ignoring.

The longer term cost rises are also in ASLEF's interest as well for their wider strategic goals.
Old 19-07-2017, 12:21 PM

adman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadman50 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post

dont forget it's insulting to those earning less than the driver salary when you worry about xmas and anniversaries
Old 19-07-2017, 01:05 PM
sleep chaser

I'm hearing strikes postponed
Old 19-07-2017, 01:08 PM

LN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLN1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Confirmed on the RMT twitter

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 19-07-2017, 01:09 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin eagle View Post
Only from the selfish/ignorant. It's clear which side is refusing to negotiate, and it isn't the unions. You should read mushrooms excellent reply. 80% of drivers on here and on the ballot, can't be bought. The DfT need to make a u turn as a result of massive united pressure. You'd best stay at home with your agenda if you don't trust what 4 respected bbsers are telling you is happening. It's blatantly obvious safety concerns are being ignored in a bid to cut, cut, cut.
If there was a protest now I'd be protesting for safe access for the disabled, but also to stop thousands of people's lives being ****ed up every day.

It's not ignorant for people to want to get a service they pay and be able to see their kids.
I've read their posts.
I agree that SOME changes are needed.
But I still stand by my opinion that the action is far too extreme for the reasons. For as long as drivers argue that this is for safety while making it more dangerous and still preventing disabled people getting on trains then I will stand by that.

Last edited by Tomo; 19-07-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 19-07-2017, 01:17 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popester View Post
Playing devil's advocate, I could imagine some commuters being upset/offended by drivers gloating about their refusal to work rest says, when many commuter are suffering quite badly as a result of the refusal to work rest days. JAT.
I don't blame anyone for not working rest days.

However when it's clear that a lot of drivers do rely on it, don't mind doing it, it irks me.
Old 19-07-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friskey View Post
Yes but it's common sense that you're more likely to do your employer a 'favour' if you're happy in their employment. It's human nature to change that behaviour if you're in dispute.

If they're not contracted to work the day they can do as they like. I'd question the organisation as to why they're relying on staff working rest days to function properly. Doesn't seem the wisest move to me.

Edit - also now that they're used to it I'll be surprised if the majority want to work them again.
We heard exactly the same thing 7 months ago though and it all went back to normal.
Old 19-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
I want guards on all trains... but with negotiation you have to be flexible... my red lines are upgraded cctv and disabled access....(that I mentioned 7 months ago)

I don't understand the bit in bold... could you clarify... are you suggesting I've been insulting people that have crossed the picket line?
As I said in response to your PM I haven't insinuated anything. I merely wondered your stance.
Old 19-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Werkself

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN1 View Post
Confirmed on the RMT twitter

Any news on ASLEF?
Old 19-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Werkself

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman50 View Post
dont forget it's insulting to those earning less than the driver salary when you worry about xmas and anniversaries
Old 19-07-2017, 01:47 PM

Old 19-07-2017, 01:55 PM
Vendere e vincere

Popester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPopester came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
Please let that be true! While mushroom and r-80s bathe in the elixir of youth that is a four day week, I am aging badly because of my 2-3 hour each-way commute...
Old 19-07-2017, 01:58 PM
sleep chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popester View Post
Please let that be true! While mushroom and r-80s bathe in the elixir of youth that is a four day week, I am aging badly because of my 2-3 hour each-way commute...
I'd give my left nut for a 4day week.