Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 25-03-2017, 10:31 PM
Banned by Moderators

McpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMcpfcS came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC since 1989 View Post
Wasn't it generally agreed that Bolasie was the better of the two when they played together? I thought Bolasie had the greater skills and was more pleasing on the eye with the ball, though the two didn't score enough.

I know Wilf is having a good season for us and I hope we keep him but I would have liked to have kept Bolasie ahead of Zaha.

Regarding England, it would be nice to have seen what Wilf could have done but could he have the Kevin Pieterson affect, which wouldn't be the best for the England team. The England team is a bit of a write off anyway for reasons we all know why, demonstrated for decades now.

Negatron
Old 25-03-2017, 10:35 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC since 1989 View Post
Wasn't it generally agreed that Bolasie was the better of the two when they played together? I thought Bolasie had the greater skills and was more pleasing on the eye with the ball, though the two didn't score enough.

I know Wilf is having a good season for us and I hope we keep him but I would have liked to have kept Bolasie ahead of Zaha.

Regarding England, it would be nice to have seen what Wilf could have done but could he have the Kevin Pieterson affect, which wouldn't be the best for the England team. The England team is a bit of a write off anyway for reasons we all know why, demonstrated for decades now.
Not in my view mate. Bolasie was all blood and thunder with tricks and pace, but very little end product. At the time Wilf was in a similar category. He has matured this season and with the guidance of the two Sams he has really flourished particularly in more central positions.
Old 25-03-2017, 10:38 PM

Harry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Holmesdale came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
For me Wilf was always technically better than Yannick. He is now moving to another level. Parish needs to keep him here.
Old 25-03-2017, 10:39 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverymoon View Post
Always thought that Wilf was better than Yannick. Most skillful I have ever seen watching Palace for over 50 years. Hopefully we will give him a much better contract and keep him a little longer
If Wilf continues working on his game he could be as big as Bale. Great great player I was so pleased when we bought him back from the wankers
I agree in my 60 years, but Don Rogers was pretty good
Old 25-03-2017, 10:48 PM

adrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietadrenalin john came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverymoon View Post
Always thought that Wilf was better than Yannick. Most skillful I have ever seen watching Palace for over 50 years. Hopefully we will give him a much better contract and keep him a little longer
If Wilf continues working on his game he could be as big as Bale. Great great player I was so pleased when we bought him back from the wankers
Our greatest ever player IMHO.

He can do things that no other player in England can. What no one seems to recognize is that he keeps improving. Frightening to think how good he could be.

I only hope we can keep him.

If we stay up this season and keep him next, I think we we will have a superb season
Old 25-03-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post

He can do things that no other player in England can. What no one seems to recognize is that he keeps improving. Frightening to think how good he could be.

If we stay up this season and keep him next, I think we we will have a superb season
Well said sir.
Old 25-03-2017, 11:13 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I'm beginning to suspect that having Southgate as England manager might backfire against Palace players...just as having your dad as your Head Master can backfire when you're in school.

You've got to be spectacularly better than everyone else in order to be selected for any school role or position of privilege, otherwise your dad won't pick you because he fears accusations of favouritism.

Southgate hasn't shown much affection for Palace since he left us and maybe he's wary of being accused of favouring his old club? Wilf can be brilliant, but inconsistent and maybe Southgate didn't want to risk picking a more maverick player when he'd only just got the England job, and on a temporary basis.

In retrospect I think the pressure from Ivory Coast unfortunately coincided with a time when the England managers (both Sam and then Gareth) were finding their feet in a new role and therefore more likely to play it safe.
Southgate wants nothing to do with Palace, he considers himself a 'Boro man and has no problem picking 'Boro lads.
Southgate easily fell under the malign influence of that poseur Alan Smith, who probably influenced him to leave Palace ASAP. That should tell you all you need to know about Southgate and his lack of character.
Old 25-03-2017, 11:20 PM

glenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

It's actually hard to disagree with this, when you consider the quality of the opposition he is up against these days. His progression over the last couple of seasons has been huge and with age well on his side, adding to international experience being gained, there is no end to the ceiling that our Wilf can reach. I loved Wrighty, Victor and Lombardo but Wilf has always had me raving from early on and now he is really fulfilling that promise that i always thought he had. I dread the day he really outgrows us but i think in excess of 45m in todays market should be bare minimum we should be looking for. Because we won't be replacing him with anything similar, thats for sure.
Old 25-03-2017, 11:44 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCelestial Empire came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Wel, he's a better dribbler and arguably more entertaining than them but his end product is still lacking. However, as Palace Bear points out above, if Wilf were playing with the quality of player that those you mention are, he might well prove to be as good if not better. He's not yet the finished article, at least with Palace, but he's better now than he's ever been; let's just hope we get a few more years out of him at Selhurst.
Unlike Sterling, Chamberlain and Walcott, Wilf is a natural athlete and very rarely misses a game through injury, despite taking a pounding almost every game. He is already far too good for cheapo Levy.

When Wilf played for England U21s, it was obvious that none of their "stars" (now mostly languishing in the lower divisions), wanted to pass to him. He did well to get out of the England cess-pit.
Old 25-03-2017, 11:54 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacemetros View Post
Oh, the irony of that statement! Although I agree with the sentiment of needing a complete re-vamp.
Ironic how? Successive administrations of all colour have failed to take a lead on this for forty odd years.
The FA is never going to reform itself.
Old 26-03-2017, 12:13 AM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Think people may have gone a tad overboard in labelling Wilf world class. His finishing still needs improvement, it'd be beneficial for him to learn how to place a shot instead of just lashing it as they are both useful in different shooting situations. He also needs to improve his overall consistency, he's top class in maybe 6/10 games at the moment which is a big improvement from last season, but not quite there yet to be in that world class bracket. I agree with people's general sentiments that if you put him in a team like Man City ahead of Sterling, he'd look far better with Silva and De Bruyne supporting him instead of Puncheon and Cabaye. Personally though, I think it'd be best for him to stay for one last season under what will hopefully be a year of stability under Allardyce, instead of the circus under Pardew and the relegation scrap under Sam we're having this season. That way if he improves his consistency he can truly establish himself as one of the best players in the league, before he moves to a big club. Meaning he'd definitely be playing week in week out, as opposed to if he moved to a top 6 club now, Wilf probably wouldn't merit an automatic starting place.
Old 26-03-2017, 12:21 AM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:

I think Zaha remains a frightening prospect who is yet to reach full potential. He will never be the player some here think he is until both goals and assist numbers improve. Just an improvement in composure and the final ball / shot required but they have improved this year. If he carries this on, I'd like to see Zaha given a chance as either an AM or even a striker.
Old 26-03-2017, 12:55 AM

AddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

I completely understand what you are saying about Wilf.

However greatest ever player I struggle to agree with at moment. From the players I have seen Wilf hasn't reached Ian Wright level but the fact we are having discussion comparing shows how good he is.

All about opinions though and as I said I agree with most of what you say. We will look back and feel privileged that we were able to watch someone with his talent week in week out when he has gone.

I love the bloke. It's a joy that we get to watch him every week
Old 26-03-2017, 04:09 AM
All Ivory Coast ain't we?

danpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
Get a grip he's far better than Stirling , Walcott , chamberlain , and many others.
Sterling is so underrated

not knocking Wilf btw, just saying
Old 26-03-2017, 07:15 AM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddiscombeEagle View Post
I completely understand what you are saying about Wilf.

However greatest ever player I struggle to agree with at moment. From the players I have seen Wilf hasn't reached Ian Wright level but the fact we are having discussion comparing shows how good he is.

All about opinions though and as I said I agree with most of what you say. We will look back and feel privileged that we were able to watch someone with his talent week in week out when he has gone.

I love the bloke. It's a joy that we get to watch him every week
Good assesment Steve
Old 26-03-2017, 07:23 AM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpalace07 View Post

He looks good in spells and then stops bothering. Sterling could be a really good player, but if he carries on with the way he is at the moment, he'll just remembered as a half decent player who never reached his full potential.
Old 26-03-2017, 07:53 AM
Banned by Moderators

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpalace07 View Post

Put Sterling in our team and he wouldn't look quite as good would he?That spoilt little brat wouldn't be attacking teams from deep in his own half would he?Id rather have Wilf than two of him!
Old 26-03-2017, 08:10 AM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is here
I have a silly Wilf story that I don't remember sharing.

After beating Watford at Wembley, one of my students (who considered himself an expert on English football) asked me, "Now that you've won promotion, will you try to make Zaha's loan permanent?" I suggested he should try google before he made himself look even stupider.

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King
Old 26-03-2017, 08:30 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughff View Post
I have a silly Wilf story that I don't remember sharing.

After beating Watford at Wembley, one of my students (who considered himself an expert on English football) asked me, "Now that you've won promotion, will you try to make Zaha's loan permanent?" I suggested he should try google before he made himself look even stupider.
Gripping.
Old 26-03-2017, 08:32 AM
cheeks

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
IMO there's chance of him going for 25m unless he is on the last year of his contract or we get relegated. Closer to 50m should do it.