Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 27-03-2017, 10:37 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
Just to add to Martin H's post which makes a lot of sense, if have to say the truth probably lies somewhere in between in this whole saga.

It was no secret that Wilf's attitude was questioned a little bit in his first spell here, regularly turning up late for training and so on. Fair enough. But then the media started on him a bit when his profile rose - questioning his 'flashy' lifestyle, which unlike being late for training is little more than an opinion, and a questionable one at that when one considers his devotion to his family and commendable charity donations. Not to mention the fact that regardless of any shortcomings in his actual play, his fitness and commitment on the field could never be doubted.

So regardless of the rights and wrongs of his off field behaviour, and given his age, it seems astonishing that no one at the FA put an arm around him and tried to reintegrate him into the setup. There have surely been England players welcomed back into the fold guilty of much worse than whatever his perceived transgressions were.

Perhaps they did, but Wilf was not receptive. If not, it points to further evidence of the 'face fitting/cliquey' England set up that will forever hold back the National Team.
Sounds about right I reckon.
Old 27-03-2017, 10:47 AM

FMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFMH57 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
If he has to move to a top 6 club then he could do well at Spurs imo, smallest of the big clubs so the least media pressure and probably the best support out of the lot of them (although that's not saying much.) Pochettino has also proved he is class at developing young English players too. Not certain he'd be an automatic starter but probably a better chance of starting for them than the other top 6 clubs. Think his misery at Man United was also largely due to dodgy Dave (no not the politician the manager,) if it was Fergie I'm sure he would've had much more game time and developed well. We probably wouldn't have got him back though so thank god it wasn't!
Don't think Spurs will pay the money Parish would want though. Think the most they would go would be 30 million , particularly having got stung on Sissoko. They probably think they can get cheaper and better in Europe.

Everton though, would be another matter. Didn't muck about with the Bolasie transfer, either fee or wages, and Wilf would probably like linking up with Bolasie again, and if he is still there, Lukaku. Would have a good chance of starting every week, as Bolasie did before the injury.
Old 27-03-2017, 10:58 AM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMH57 View Post
Don't think Spurs will pay the money Parish would want though. Think the most they would go would be 30 million , particularly having got stung on Sissoko. They probably think they can get cheaper and better in Europe.

Everton though, would be another matter. Didn't muck about with the Bolasie transfer, either fee or wages, and Wilf would probably like linking up with Bolasie again, and if he is still there, Lukaku. Would have a good chance of starting every week, as Bolasie did before the injury.
Don't know what Spurs were thinking with Sissoko, had been a very lazy, good every 10 games player at Newcastle. Suppose the Euros clouded their judgment. Everton though, would they really pay enough money for Zaha? Already have Mirallas, Deloufeu and Bolasie returning for them next season. I agree though he'd do well there, although I'd have thought if he was gonna leave us it'd be to a bigger club, think Everton may hit a glass ceiling stopping them from ever pushing into the top 4.
Old 27-03-2017, 10:59 AM

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMH57 View Post

I don't think we would get the cash figure that we want but they have so many quality players to offer in exchange that I suspect a deal could be done if it needed to. I really don't want to think about that right now though.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:03 AM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
I don't think we would get the cash figure that we want but they have so many quality players to offer in exchange that I suspect a deal could be done if it needed to. I really don't want to think about that right now though.
30 million + Son it is.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
30 million + Son it is.
Sounds about right but I still don't want to sell.

I prefer sticking my head in the sand for now- which explains how I look in the mornings..
Old 27-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
Some Palace fans seem very keen to side with anyone against a player who is Palace through and through. Plenty of players have had poor attitudes and it's not resulted in them being frozen out. Henderson is personification of the averageness of this England generation.
Yes it's weird when we don't know what's gone on that people believe the powers that be and that's from people who like Wilf. There has also always been a load of people on here who think he's overrated.

Apart from the Wilf issue, don't agree with the downer on this England team. They're looking fine to me. First time I can remember them putting out 11 players with a good touch, all seem comfortable in tight spaces. Stones and Lallana are already special players and most of the others aren't far behind.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:35 AM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
All depends what league we are in. If we go down then you will probably be looking at 20 + add ons. Stay up and it could be Bolasie/Benteke type money......

But, Zaha may have a release clause which is pretty common these days and I only hope Spurs bid of 15m was way under it but I don't know. Just seems odd that Spurs went in with a bid like that.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:41 AM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
Paper talk of us being in for Sissoko from Spurs, though expect it could be a re-hash. 25m plus him and we have a deal, though Son from Spurs would be preference
Old 27-03-2017, 11:43 AM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
I could see someone like Redmond going to Liverpool in the summer, his transfer fee would be a good guide and will be massively overinflated based on not a lot as the media love him.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
Paper talk of us being in for Sissoko from Spurs, though expect it could be a re-hash. 25m plus him and we have a deal, though Son from Spurs would be preference
Avoid Sissoko like a plague, has been shite for Spurs and was also shite in a team closer to our level in Newcastle.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:51 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Hilarious that Spurs paid 30 million for can't be bothered Sissoko. Apart from his first, and the very occasional subsequent, he was an utter passenger for Newcastle.

No wonder he was fresh for the French team in the summer.

Woeful player, no better than Sakho who we got on a free.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:56 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
As for Wilf, why would we ever sell? He is irreplaceable.

I mean if it was a case of going bust or selling Wilf then I would get it, but apart from that what benefit would there be in selling?

He is our best player, our talisman, our identity and the most skilful player in the country - who will only improve. Even if we got 80 million for him who could we buy to replace him?

I don't support Palace to see the club make a profit in player trading. I watch Palace as it is my tribe - the last thing I would ever wish for is the sale of our totem.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:59 AM
cheeks

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post

I mean if it was a case of going bust or selling Wilf then I would get it, but apart from that what benefit would there be in selling?

He is our best player, our talisman, our identity and the most skilful player in the country - who will only improve. Even if we got 80 million for him who could we buy to replace him?

I don't support Palace to see the club make a profit in player trading. I watch Palace as it is my tribe - the last thing I would ever wish for is the sale of our totem.
I agree with the sentiment. I think there are two potential reasons we could sell him:
  1. We get relegated
  2. Wilf wants to leave
Old 27-03-2017, 12:08 PM
People are People

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
I will be very sad if Wilf leaves - possibly more sad than any other departure.

But every player has his price, that's the way of things.

One thing that already nosy me - even though it hasn't happened yet - is that if/when he goes to Spurs, the media will suddenly start fawning all over him saying what a amazing player he is now that he's joined a bigger club and how Pochettino has turned him into a world beater. They don't realise that he is already that good
Old 27-03-2017, 12:09 PM

Pete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPete79 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
This is why he hadn't played for England again plus for much of that time he really hadn't been good enough and TBH has only this season started to turn in the consistent quality plus assists and goals that would attract a place in the squad. He has long been our hero but that's not the same thing at all. Wilf has to take responsibility for how he acted before and TBH I think he has jumped too soon and his form would have won him a place. So we all lose TBH. Shame.

He continues to improve his game and hopefully he will do that at Palace. As he matures as a person and a player he gains better self control, which he needs to realise his best. I think he can and will do that.
If a 20 yr old football player has some issue's (and consider that we don't know Zaha's side of this incident involving Henderson) then it is the job of the management to help the player. Its a failure of the management if a player is subsequently ostracised from the national team.
And its not about how good Zaha was back when he was 20 (very good). Its about whether young English players should be defined long before they've reached their peak in the game. Is England so awash with great talent that it can discard players with great potential just because of a negative experience in the U21? Whats the point in the U21 if it isn't to work with the players weaknesess and issues prior to a full call up?
The England football team is, and always will be, an embarressment on and off the pitch because no one at the FA can understand the concepts of 'talent' and 'potential' in English players or understand how to nurture young players so they fullfill their potential. Nothing has been learned from the debacle against Iceland - a game where England's brightest talents were revealed to be utterly clueless - an yet Zaha, a unique player in English footballm couldn't get a game despite the inclusion of other players with potential (Lingard, Rashford) who had shown no more evidence of their ability than Zaha.
Old 27-03-2017, 12:18 PM

A front 3 of Sterling Rashford and Zaha - would be young, mobile, quick, and full of skill and goals.

With Ali or Barkley just behind and Dier and Lallana in midfield you would have a half decent young team, few off whom would be carrying the stink of previous failure
Old 27-03-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:

No ones wishing for Wilf's sale, we're just discussing potential destinations and transfer fees in the likely scenario that he'll depart at some point to a team that can compete for trophies and play in Europe regularly. We'd all love him to become Palace's version of Totti but that's unrealistic to expect of him, as a footballer he's most likely hungry for trophies and unless our club drastically changes, Wilf will likely not find those at Palace.
Old 27-03-2017, 12:29 PM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
I could see someone like Redmond going to Liverpool in the summer, his transfer fee would be a good guide and will be massively overinflated based on not a lot as the media love him.
Redmond would go for more than Zaha in today's market.
Old 27-03-2017, 12:38 PM

wyldeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewyldeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewyldeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewyldeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewyldeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewyldeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewyldeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewyldeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewyldeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewyldeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewyldeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:

100 % agree, we need to build our bloody squad not weaken it, we are not a training/feeder camp for the top 5 clubs.