Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 11-11-2001, 08:58 PM
pura vida

Sunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Just finished Atonement by Ian McEwan, excellent book, just about to start Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami, only one of his I've not read yet, looking forward to some more Japanese weirdness and wonder
Old 11-11-2001, 09:01 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I've just started reading Morrissey & Marr - The Severed Alliance which seems a tad sycophantic on the biographer's part.

However, if you want to read a hilariously funny autobiography get The Real Frank Zappa Book
Old 11-11-2001, 09:26 PM
Dazed & Confused

curly c.p.f.c came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcurly c.p.f.c came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcurly c.p.f.c came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcurly c.p.f.c came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcurly c.p.f.c came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcurly c.p.f.c came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcurly c.p.f.c came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcurly c.p.f.c came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcurly c.p.f.c came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcurly c.p.f.c came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcurly c.p.f.c came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Ghost Force, the secret history of the SAS, by Ken Connor, who was one of the longest serving soilder's in the SAS. His summary was that the SAS no longer had a future in modern warfare. Er NO, apart from that 9 out of 10 better than Bravo Two Zero i my IMHO
Old 12-11-2001, 01:36 AM
Travel gnu called Kylie!

lightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recalllightweight put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recall
Quote:
Originally posted by hellsbells

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - undecided
I've got that one - but haven't read it yet.

In fact I've got a lot of books that I really must get round to reading soon......
Old 12-11-2001, 01:49 AM
Doctored to death

Fallen Eagle is playing for a contract
'Love etc' by Julian Barnes, usually an intelligent and entertaining writer, this one has all the hallmarks of a poor sequal about characters no one really likes.
Unfortunately I feel obliged to finish it being a boring teacher who tells his students that you can't possibly know if a book is truly bad until the end.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:43 AM
Is it the beer?

ozieaglesimon lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleepozieaglesimon lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleepozieaglesimon lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleepozieaglesimon lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleepozieaglesimon lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleepozieaglesimon lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleepozieaglesimon lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleepozieaglesimon lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleepozieaglesimon lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleepozieaglesimon lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleepozieaglesimon lets loose all the horses when the corporal is asleep
"The Big U"
Neal Stephenson
Very good if you like a complex character-based plot with a techno-political edge and plenty of sarcasm. My kind of book
This book is interesting because it was the author's first published. Has been out of print for many years, small run just released.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:09 AM
Not in Oz

EagleinOz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkEagleinOz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkEagleinOz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkEagleinOz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkEagleinOz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkEagleinOz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkEagleinOz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkEagleinOz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkEagleinOz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkEagleinOz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkEagleinOz sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Just finished 'The Teachings of Don Juan' by Carlos Castenada. Recommend it to anyone. About a guy who goes to be an apprentice to an old red indian in Mexico (true story) and learns all about the mysteries of Peyote and other desert plants. Takes you through all his trips- freaky stuff!
Old 12-11-2001, 10:39 AM
♥ Mile

zonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Benzhiyi

I thought Man and Boy was excellent as it goes... any word on what TP's new book is like or did I miss that earlier in the thread?
One for my baby is, in my opinion, not quite as good as Man and boy. Having said that, i thought that Man and boy was an excellent book and would give it a 9/10 while One for my baby an 8.5/10. So, if you get the chance, have a go at it.

Just finished reading, in the space of two weeks, Paolo Di Canio's book (good), Tony Adams' Addicted (even better) and I am currently reading Castel di Sango (promises to be the best of the bunch).
It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched tv. But then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Old 12-11-2001, 12:01 PM
he's no David Bailey...

selhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by selhurst
Man and Boy by Tony Parsons.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer
'Man and Boy' now that was complete and utter crap.
Quote:
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
I thought Man and Boy was excellent as it goes... any word on what TP's new book is like or did I miss that earlier in the thread?
Quote:
Originally posted by Little Matt
Also read Man And Boy recently and thought I'd hate it but must swallow my pride and anti-Tony Parsons sentiments and say what a corking book it is.
Quote:
Originally posted by zonin2000
One for my baby is, in my opinion, not quite as good as Man and boy. Having said that, i thought that Man and boy was an excellent book and would give it a 9/10 while One for my baby an 8.5/10. So, if you get the chance, have a go at it.
Yes, I enjoyed ‘Man and Boy’ too. Well worth a go…
Old 12-11-2001, 12:21 PM

ruediger is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverruediger is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverruediger is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverruediger is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverruediger is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverruediger is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverruediger is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverruediger is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverruediger is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverruediger is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet coverruediger is off to the club shop to look for a Palace duvet cover
"Buddenbrooks" - yet again as it is out now for exactly 100 years. Won author Thomas Mann the nobel prize and the plot plays in Lübeck - my home town. A MUST read.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:38 PM
What, no boat?

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
One Palestine complete, Jews and Arabs under the British mandate

By Tom Segev

A detailed history of Palestine from about 1915 through to 1948, written by a well repected Jewish jouno. Very enlightening, especially at the moment.

And The Cold Six Thousand by James Ellroy.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
I'm currently reading Rainbow 6 by Tom Clancy. Very good book.

Next book will be Chickenhawk...about a Huey pilot in the Vietnam war.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reminding me of this one, read it years ago and may look it out again shortly.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:12 PM
Tired and Emotional

Smurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfSmurph knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelf
Quote:
Originally posted by Pokerface
Must not reads:

The Information by Martin Amis;
Time's Arrow by Martin Amis.

Martin Amis is the most pretentious writer I've ever read!! He came highly recommended but didn't live up to the hype.
I disagree. There are plenty of writes who are far more pretentious than Amis without possessing an ounce of his talent. Martin Amis is one of the most stylish, challenging and entertaining novelists of modern times. Read Money, Success or Dead Babies before dismissing him completely. Also, his journalism and his recent autobiography/biography of his Father's death are well worth reading. Although I always liked his work I never felt that I would like him as a person until reading the autobiography.

I am currently reading Modern Philosphy (An Introduction and Survey), by Roger Scruton. It is very readable for a philosophy book but the sheer scope of the project makes it very difficult to assimilate and retain all that is read. I feel like I ought to be taking notes. I was halfway through Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad which was enjoying until I misplaced it somewhere.

Last edited by Smurph; 14-11-2001 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:28 PM
Non T-Total

Lion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Re: Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Quote:
Originally posted by lightweight

everyone I know that's read that has enjoyed it - must get round to reading it sometime soon

Currently I'm reading two different books - Thirty-nothing by Lisa Jewell (bought for 50p in a charity shop!) and Jack & Jill by James Patterson (working my way through the Alex Cross series)
******* great books.

I've read every James Patterson book (inc. Non-Alex Cross)

His latest is brillaint.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:29 PM
Non T-Total

Lion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by selhurst
Man and Boy by Tony Parsons

Ficticious story that deals with men's relationships with their fathers, and their sons, and written by one our most talented writers.
Yup - his second book (One for my baby) is just as good.. only in hardback at the moment but a great buy.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:33 PM
Non T-Total

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer

Glad to be of service.

If you ask me nicely I'll tell you what I think of the latest John Grisham pile of ****

Haven't actually read it but could take a fairly good guess.
What plannet are you on?

I average 3/4 books a month. Man and Boy is probally one of the best books I have ever read in my life. I've just read about 5 John Grisham books aswell with had trouble putting them down when I get off the train and into work (I have four hours traveling a day, which is why I read so much)..

What do you like then?

Still in shock how anyone can't like man and boy..
Old 12-11-2001, 06:57 PM
♥ Mile

zonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Lion

Yup - his second book (One for my baby) is just as good.. only in hardback at the moment but a great buy.
I've got it in paperback- airport edition which I got this summer i think, along with paperback editions of Full Time (Tony Cascarino), which is a cracking read, and How To Be Good (Hornby) which I haven't gottenround to reading yet! (people say it's not as good as his other books.

Oh and I've got to give another Kevin-T-GTA3-style-mention to Castel Di Sangro again- how can a book about a crap italian team, written by an american, inspire laughter and tears???
Hats off to Joe McGinnis.
It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched tv. But then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Old 12-11-2001, 07:29 PM
Orange Fleecer

SKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSKATE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Currently reading Undercurrents by Frances Fyfield and a biography of Charles II.

Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream, Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily - life is but a dream!
Old 12-11-2001, 07:50 PM
What, no boat?

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
Apart from the two books I mentioned earlier I am also reading "Rediscover Grammar" which is suprisingly interesting.

I strongly recommend it, Murry(a).
Old 12-11-2001, 08:14 PM

East-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Currently reading The Sicillian - Mario Puzo (Godfather spin off)

recently finished The Last Don - Mario Puzo (another Mafia classic)
The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Majer (about a 16 year old Franco-german fighting on the Russian Front, true story)

I have to say how pleased I am that no-one on this thread has mentioned "Harry Potter", you have restored my wavering faith in the adult population of this country. ITS A KIDS BOOK FOR GODS SAKE!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2001, 08:20 PM
I liikeee...But whyy?

Si121 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSi121 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSi121 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSi121 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSi121 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSi121 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSi121 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSi121 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSi121 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSi121 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenSi121 has to read the song lyrics on the big screen
Quote:
Originally posted by East-End Eagle
Currently reading The Sicillian - Mario Puzo (Godfather spin off)

recently finished The Last Don - Mario Puzo (another Mafia classic)
The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Majer (about a 16 year old Franco-german fighting on the Russian Front, true story)

I have to say how pleased I am that no-one on this thread has mentioned "Harry Potter", you have restored my wavering faith in the adult population of this country. ITS A KIDS BOOK FOR GODS SAKE!!!!!!
That's exacty how I feel about it. I can't believe it's gonna be the first film at the box office to make over a £1billion. I for one am not going to watch it.