Home | Forums | Gallery | Predictions | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Wagon Painter

mik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
South America is happening

Brazil obviously gets a lot of attention from it becoming the 6th or 7th (depending on which list you use) top economic power to its President being eavesdropped on by those bullies farther north, as well as hosting that odd little sporting tournament next year. But while I am very much looking forward to being there for games (hopefully) or atmosphere in bars at least, I will also be travelling around the wider continent. I have long been a fan of Latin American literature and music and much more besides.

At the moment I am intrigued by the election in Chile. It has got to be one of the most facinating political face-offs anywhere: two daughters of two generals who were once friends and neighbours until Pinochet came along when one was a supporter while the other stayed loyal to Allende and died for that faith, with his former comrade being his gaoler for the last month of his life.

It is all happening in South America, I tell you, as I am sure many of you are about to post and agree with, with rich and varied examples.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeb 7:4 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeb 7:4 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeb 7:4 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeb 7:4 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeb 7:4 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeb 7:4 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeb 7:4 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeb 7:4 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeb 7:4 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHeb 7:4 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
They eat guinea pigs over there
Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Wagon Painter

mik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmik59 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
in chocolate! How cool is that?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Columbia is where the real intrigue is
Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Wagon Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Columbia is where the real intrigue is
Sadly I do not have enough capital to invest there but I will be on the look out for places to live for a while. Costa Rica is on the list because I won't be the only Palace fan in town but I am also musing over Uraguay.

“This 21st century will be our century, the century of Latin America,” Sebastián Piñera, President Chile (outgoing)
Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 PM

yorkshire eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyorkshire eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyorkshire eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyorkshire eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyorkshire eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyorkshire eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyorkshire eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyorkshire eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyorkshire eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyorkshire eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineyorkshire eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
have a friend who works for Land rover and he said Columbian women were head and shoulders the best looking woman on earth!! (he spent 6 weeks in Columbia on a project) now he is a fairly stoic Yorkshireman not prone to wild statements

Originally Posted by CPFC2010

"I think that this is the best suggestion that I have ever read on the BBS"
Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 PM

PeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Well we have a BBSers in Chile, Colombia, Argentina, and Costa Rica.

A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband. A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:23 PM

PeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The elections in Chile are not going to change much. All an exercise in mutual backscratching. If a party politician loses his seat he gets a cushy number in public service until next time.

The two women candidates fighting for the main job represent the middle left and conservative right. In fact the pinocheist candidate is a nut case, and will get her votes from nut cases that still mourn his death.

Bachelet has it easy though. The system here is more or less first past the post. If the leading candidate doesn't have an overall majority over all the other candidates - it goes to a second round between the top two candidates. There's a fairly strong chance a second vote won't be needed.

Matthei had a chance, but she has commited political suicide by attacking an independent candidate that is at least level with her in the polls. This in lieu of trying to win the election on issues of national importance. Basically, Bachelet has sat back with a smirk on her face letting the others implode.

Matthei was very much a third choice candidate for the right. Two candidates from two right parties fought out a near draw 52%/48%, then the winner resigned from the race with clinical depression. The loser, a man who may have taken votes from the left, was so disgruntled by the internal party politics that he didn't take up the option.

Matthei's father was a key ally of Pinochet. But more than that were her actions when Pinochet was arrested in London. She was a key organisor of protests outside both the British and Spanish embassies. She represents a dwindling number of older middle class and upper middle class (mainly women) that only look at the positive economic and anti criminal aspects of Pinochet's regime. They chose to ignore, or even outright deny, that human rights abuses.

The two independent candidates lack the necessary party machine to win. The budget, the manpower, the volunteers, and most importantly the influence these parties have on the media.

Still if Bachelet wins, I am happy. middle left or right, Chile has been doing very nicely. Slowly the poor are helped. There are inequalities, and the same families run things, the same big businesses control things. Hopefully the two independants work together in the future, but that won't change anything. It's like Obama, you can become President, but if congress won't let you change the system then nothing happens - and you only get 4 years at it.

Bachelet will probably win the first vote outright. If not, she'll walk the second. A great thing. If the right think that they can win the people over with a candidate with strong Pinocheist ideals, then they are sadly out of touch.

A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband. A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Dark and Massive

Excowboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExcowboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExcowboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExcowboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExcowboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExcowboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExcowboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExcowboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExcowboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExcowboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietExcowboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The students in Chile are quite interesting

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Werner Herzog
Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Unregistered User

ChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshire eagle View Post
have a friend who works for Land rover and he said Columbian women were head and shoulders the best looking woman on earth!! (he spent 6 weeks in Columbia on a project) now he is a fairly stoic Yorkshireman not prone to wild statements
Serbia. No contest.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM

Neillo's Son : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeillo's Son : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeillo's Son : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeillo's Son : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeillo's Son : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeillo's Son : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeillo's Son : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeillo's Son : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeillo's Son : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeillo's Son : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeillo's Son : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckMcBalls View Post
Serbia. No contest.
Eastern European women are equally beautiful, but their attitude towards English men isn't the best from my experience!

Colombian women adore us for some reason, especially if you have blonde hair and/or blue eyes

Colombia (NOT Columbia), is on the up. There aren't many countries in the world which can boast two coastlines (Pacific and Carribean), endless mountains (The Andes), The Amazon and two deserts but the evident security problems sent it into a frenzy which set them back decades in terms of attracting tourists.

I arrived in 2011 and the level of tourists wasn't that evident then but it's certainly in full flow now, if I were thinking about coming here, I'd do so while it's still relatively untouched.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Ex-pat leviathan

GodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Wouldn't advise moving to Uruguay, Mik.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:56 PM

eagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet

Last edited by eagle mart; 02-11-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:56 PM

eagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteagle mart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik59 View Post
Costa Rica is on the list because I won't be the only Palace fan in town.
Do it - you will not regret it. Amazing place!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:25 PM
jft39

west country boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest country boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest country boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest country boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest country boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest country boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest country boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest country boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest country boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest country boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest country boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Brazil obviously gets a lot of attention from it becoming the 6th or 7th (depending on which list you use) top economic power to its President being eavesdropped on by those bullies farther north, as well as hosting that odd little sporting tournament next year. But while I am very much looking forward to being there for games (hopefully) or atmosphere in bars at least, I will also be travelling around the wider continent. I have long been a fan of Latin American literature and music and much more besides.

At the moment I am intrigued by the election in Chile. It has got to be one of the most facinating political face-offs anywhere: two daughters of two generals who were once friends and neighbours until Pinochet came along when one was a supporter while the other stayed loyal to Allende and died for that faith, with his former comrade being his gaoler for the last month of his life.

It is all happening in South America, I tell you, as I am sure many of you are about to post and agree with, with rich and varied examples.
There's some interesting stuff about Brazil in the latest Private Eye.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Wagon Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodstoneEagle View Post
Wouldn't advise moving to Uruguay, Mik.
Why not? It's prosperous with a good standard of living. Montevideo is one of the region's happening cities. It's president, Pepe, is a cool guy and role model for leaders anywhere.

The only thing against it off the top of my head is I may prefer somewhere with more moderate all year rounnd climate.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Conrad Knight socks...

Nork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNork1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
Them's tasty. I ate one in Peru. Don't knock it till you've tried it!
"The cameras at the moment are focusing on the Liverpool fans, they look in disbelief, they look shocked, there's the odd one in tears. They've also just focused on one who's just picked his nose and eaten it which is rather disgusting."
Old 02-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Unregistered User

ChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChuckMcBalls : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neillo's Son View Post
Eastern European women are equally beautiful, but their attitude towards English men isn't the best from my experience!

Colombian women adore us for some reason, especially if you have blonde hair and/or blue eyes

Colombia (NOT Columbia), is on the up. There aren't many countries in the world which can boast two coastlines (Pacific and Carribean), endless mountains (The Andes), The Amazon and two deserts but the evident security problems sent it into a frenzy which set them back decades in terms of attracting tourists.

I arrived in 2011 and the level of tourists wasn't that evident then but it's certainly in full flow now, if I were thinking about coming here, I'd do so while it's still relatively untouched.
Duly noted for when I'm planning my next holiday.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

The only thing against it off the top of my head is I may prefer somewhere with more moderate all year rounnd climate.
It's going to be tricky to replicate SE25's unique climate
Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Why not? It's prosperous with a good standard of living. Montevideo is one of the region's happening cities. It's president, Pepe, is a cool guy and role model for leaders anywhere.

What do you mean by moderate climate? Not sure, but I would think that the climate is pretty good in Uruguay. Certainly not too cold at any point. Might get a little warm in the Summer, but then you have the beach. Plus, Brasil and BA are on your doorstep.

You're biggest issue is what would you do for a living - other than the usual teach English.