Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:52 AM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
England's Golden Generation

It's been a favourite theory in the media this past year, that this year's England squad was the best since 1966. Given the righteous fury here and elsewhere with England's quarter final exit, it strikes me as being a theory that a lot of people here subscribe to too. So let's try to put it to the test.

Excluding 1970, when many of the 1966 players were still playing, below is a list of all the England players that played in all the subsequent World Cup finals. Obviously, a lot played in 2 or more tournaments so they only appear for the first time they appeared.

What would be interesting is for as many posters as possible to select their all-time England XI (plus 5 substitutes) from the players listed below. It's got to be a realistic line-up so no innovative 2-1-7 formations please and if you're only old enough to remember the last 2 or 3 World Cups then say so.

Let's see how many of the so-called Golden Generation make regular appearances.

Here's the players

1982 (Spain)
Peter SHILTON
Phil THOMPSON
Terry BUTCHER
Steve FOSTER
Mick MILLS
Phil NEAL
Kenny SANSOM
Bryan ROBSON
Ray WILKINS
Trevor BROOKING
Glen HODDLE
Graham RIX
Steve COPPELL
Paul MARINER
Trevor FRANCIS
Tony WOODCOCK
Kevin KEEGAN

1986 (Mexico)
Terry FENWICK
Alvin MARTIN
Gary M STEVENS
Gary A STEVENS
Lee DIXON
Steve HODGE
Peter REID
Trevor STEVEN
John BARNES
Chris WADDLE
Mark HATELEY
Peter BEARDSLEY
Gary LINEKER

1990 (Italy)
Des WALKER
Mark WRIGHT
Paul PARKER
Stuart PEARCE
Tony DORIGO
Steve McMAHON
Neil WEBB
Paul GASCOIGNE
David PLATT
Steve BULL

1998 (France)
David SEAMAN
Sol CAMPBELL
Tony ADAMS
Gareth SOUTHGATE
Gary NEVILLE
Graham LeSAUX
David BATTY
Paul INCE
David BECKHAM
Robert LEE
Paul SCHOLES
Paul MERSON
Darren ANDERTON
Steve McMANAMAN
Alan SHEARER
Teddy SHERINGHAM
Michael OWEN

2002 (Japan/Korea)
Rio FERDINAND
Danny MILLS
Ashley COLE
Wayne BRIDGE
Nicky BUTT
Owen HARGREAVES
Kieron DYER
Joe COLE
Trevor SINCLAIR
Darius VASSELL
Emile HESKEY
Robbie FOWLER

2006 (Germany)
Paul ROBINSON
John TERRY
Jamie CARRAGHER
Michael CARRICK
Frank LAMPARD
Steve GERRARD
Stuart DOWNING
Aaron LENNON
Peter CROUCH
Wayne ROONEY
Old 06-07-2006, 10:54 AM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
I'll kick-off with this line-up. (I've got 3 of the current bunch, but I must confess to struggling and forcing myself to avoid accusations of bias)

Shilton

Parker
Ferdinand
Walker
Sansom

Robson
Gascoigne
Hoddle

Rooney

Beardsley
Lineker

(Butcher, Pearce, Gerrard, Coppell, Owen)
Old 06-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
Good idea. I've had to go 4-3-3 to squeeze in my favourites, if that's okay. Probably change my mind in two minutes.

Shilton

Sansom
Walker
Ferdinand
Neville (can't believe I had to do that)

Gazza
Robson
Hoddle

Barnes
Owen
Beardsley

Subs: Keegan, Lineker, Francis, Thompson, Wilkins
Old 06-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I was thinking of responding to a post of yours with something along these lines, Elwiss, but I was too lazy, too forgetful and I could see it wasn't really going to support my argument, so I piped down.
Some hack, perhaps David Lacy, wrote yesterday that the bes6t captain England had had since Bobby moore, was Mick Mills - a shocker for those of us who remember him less than fondly. Anyway, in a 3-4-3
Shilton

Parker
Ferdinand
Sansom

Gerrard
Gascoigne
Hoddle
Brooking

Waddle
Lineker
Rooney

Might not be all that defensively, though.

Oh - subs: Seaman, Butcher, Robson, Keegan, Beardsley
Old 06-07-2006, 12:23 PM

Gary Goodchild has a strange feeling of absolute harmony. It's a perfect moment.Gary Goodchild has a strange feeling of absolute harmony. It's a perfect moment.Gary Goodchild has a strange feeling of absolute harmony. It's a perfect moment.Gary Goodchild has a strange feeling of absolute harmony. It's a perfect moment.Gary Goodchild has a strange feeling of absolute harmony. It's a perfect moment.Gary Goodchild has a strange feeling of absolute harmony. It's a perfect moment.Gary Goodchild has a strange feeling of absolute harmony. It's a perfect moment.Gary Goodchild has a strange feeling of absolute harmony. It's a perfect moment.Gary Goodchild has a strange feeling of absolute harmony. It's a perfect moment.Gary Goodchild has a strange feeling of absolute harmony. It's a perfect moment.Gary Goodchild has a strange feeling of absolute harmony. It's a perfect moment.
Interesting idea...will have a bash when I get time. I wonder when people in this country will wake up to the fact that we are not, and historically have never really been, one of the giants of the international stage.

I was thinking about this last night watching Portugal, who have now reached 2 semis and 1 final in the last 4 major tournaments (Euro 2000, Euro 2004 and WC 2006). Our record since 1966 is 2 semis (1990 and 1996) and no finals. That's in the better part of 20 tournaments (the Euros weren't proper 'tournaments' until the mid 70s if memory serves). Frankly that's pathetic.

France - 4 finals and 3 semis in the last 13 tournaments
Italy - 4 finals and 2 semis in the last 14
Germany - an awesome 7 finals and 2 semis in the last 14
Holland - 1 final and 4 semis in the last 10
Brazil - 3 of the last 4 world cup finals

Admittedly I am manipulating the cut-off dates to exaggerate the point but all these teams have a vastly superior record to us. Even Sweden got to 2 semis in the 1990s. Germany have not failed to reach at least the quarter finals of the world cup since 1938. We haven't even qualified for 3 of the last 9.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Searching the Holy Grail

selhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that far
mmm, off the top of head, bearing in mind we have to play 442.

Shilton
Parker Ferdinand Walker Sansom
Waddle Gazza Hargreaves (I just cannot have Bryan Robson in my team) Barnes
Rooney Lineker
Old 06-07-2006, 12:49 PM
'or 0=0'

The Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by selhurstparkflyer
mmm, off the top of head, bearing in mind we have to play 442.

Shilton
Parker Ferdinand Walker Sansom
Waddle Gazza Hargreaves (I just cannot have Bryan Robson in my team) Barnes
Rooney Lineker
Oh come on. Hargreaves has one good game and one excellent game and then makes the greatest England team since 1966....!
Old 06-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Old member.

Shipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Shilton
Neville
Butcher
M Wright
S Pearce
Barnes
Gazza
Platt
Waddle (no penalties)
Lineker
Shearer

With Spunky, Parker, Wilkins and Rooney as a replacement for each of goalkeeper, defence, midfield and attack.

Sir Bob of Robson as the manager.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
And none of us has chosen Beckham!
Waddle and Barnes never quite worked, that I recall, and led to packing the centre of the midfield with the droniest of drones.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Middle class left.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Goodchild
Frankly that's pathetic.

's better than Spain.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Searching the Holy Grail

selhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farselhurstparkflyer stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that far
I forgot about Platt..stick him into Hargreaves place. I am convinved a holding type midfielder is needed and, with Gascoigne he was superb.

El Boy if you don't like Waddle and Barnse, I would stick Waddle on the left and bring in Beckham for his free kicks and work rate, although Gazza can take free kicks too.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Scarfer army

GeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by El Aguila
And none of us has chosen Beckham!
Reading this thread made me realise just how many England players peaked between World Cups (or close to tournaments we didn't qualify for).

I would never pick and '82 vintage Keegan for this XI but he'd be nailed on for his mid-seventies form.

With Beckham I'd have a 2001 vintage in the XI but not a 2002 or 2006 version.

Interesting to see Shilton in so many of your teams - can't be for his 1990 performances. Bobby Robson should have brought Beasant on for the shoot-out.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:44 PM

GanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I've cheated and gone for a squad of 23 players

GK: Shilton
GK: Seaman
GK: Martyn

FB: Pearce
FB: Sansom
FB: Parker
FB: Cole A.

CB: Terry
CB: Ferdinand
CB: Butcher
CB: Adams

MF: Robson
MF: Gerrard
MF: Beckham
MF: Gazza
MF: Ince
MF: Brooking
MF: Scholes

ST: Rooney
ST: Owen
ST: Lineker
ST: Keegan
ST: Shearer

Even Sven could pick a good team out of that squad
Old 06-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Middle class left.

Quote:
Originally posted by GeeTee

Interesting to see Shilton in so many of your teams - can't be for his 1990 performances. Bobby Robson should have brought Beasant on for the shoot-out.
If you have to choose between Shilton, Seaman and Robinson there can be only one winner.
If England had qualified in '74 and '78 he would have gone to five World Cups.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Scarfer army

GeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGeeTee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by El Aguila
If you have to choose between Shilton, Seaman and Robinson there can be only one winner.
If England had qualified in '74 and '78 he would have gone to five World Cups.
I agree totally - it was just re-emphasising the point about some players peaking at certain times.

Shilton could well have gone to five but, 1990 would still have been 1 too many for him, as great as he was.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Middle class left.

Yes, that's true.
I'm wondering now if he was in the squad in 1970? Banks, Bonetti and who else? Stepney?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Middle class left.

Interesting about the dearth of right backs and the relative abundance of talent at left back, as well.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:15 PM

Halftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Being only 28 my memories a little to hazy before around 1990 so I'm not going to pick a team but I'v always disagreed with this golden generation idea. I looked at the current first 11 and only Rooney, Gerrard and Ferdinand strike me as players we'd have real trouble replacing in the near future.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Scarfer army

Mine is -

Shilton 1982

Parker 1990
Walker 1990
Butcher 1982
Sansom 1982

Gazza 1990
Platt 1990
Hoddle 1986

Beardsley '86 and '90

Lineker '86 and'90
Shearer 1998

Seaman 1998, Ferdinand 2002, Pearce 1990, Robson 1982, Owen 1998
Old 06-07-2006, 02:20 PM

Panther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
You're all wrong. I'm sure I heard Alan Shearer say that only three players from the four WC semi-finalists would get into the current England team (Zidane, Cannavaro and Ballack) and he's on telly so that must be right. Of course I might have been hearing things......