Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 18-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by One Step Down
The tragedy came in the 94-95 season when we self-destructed in a manner rarely seen before or since.
And people say we look awful now.
Old 18-02-2007, 06:34 PM

GDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Didn't Oldham score a couple of goals that were offside aswell? I remember in that last week everything going for them while Palace were hitting brick walls.
Old 18-02-2007, 06:47 PM

DE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I seem to recall we went down with an absurdly high number of points. No one to balme but ourselves that season.

But do recall lots of fans getting on Coppels back for not making good team selection that season !
Old 18-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by stupalace
i imagine huudersfield town fans feel the same after our own handball , and vassen saving a point blank shot against them as well
I think it was Bennett, not Vaesen, but otherwise I agree.

We went down with 49 points that season - the most ever (afaik). More than we had two years later (45) when we went down as fourth bottom, and more points per game than West Ham a few years ago (when they made all the fuss about how unlucky they were given their points total).

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact a Family charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And donate here https://www.justgiving.com/CyclingtheSeason

or by texting CPFC16 £5 (or whatever amount) to 70070 to donate to Contact a Family and make a difference today
Old 22-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Dig the new breed.

Pennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses grow
Quote:
Originally posted by stevek

We went down with 49 points that season - the most ever (afaik). More than we had two years later (45) when we went down as fourth bottom, and more points per game than West Ham a few years ago (when they made all the fuss about how unlucky they were given their points total).
I know, ironic isn't it the 2 highest points tally to be relegated & they are both ours.

"The F.A. have acted like a bunch of chocolate soldiers." Sir Steve 1991.

"Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes." Sir Brian Clough

"We didn’t underestimate them but they were a lot better than we thought." Sir Bobby Robson
Old 22-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Dig the new breed.

Pennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses grow
Re: Relegation 93

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Jansen

Anyway, with Palace dead and buried v Arsenal and Oldham holding on at 4-3 v Southampton, it said that Milligan(?) handled in the box in injury time. The ref didnt give it and Oldham got the win that relegated Palace.

Royle said that Milligan admitted the handball after the game, and with penalty king Matthew Le Tissier, Southampton would probably have scored and saved Palace (by the way, Le Tissier scored a hattrick in this defeat).

This seems to be a huge moment in Palace history that I've never heard of, especially as it caused Coppell to resign. I'm aware that Oldham somehow beat title contenders Villa away on the Sunday, and that David James gifted them a win over Liverpool in midweek, but this handball and the very end of the season is the thing that cost us.
I remember listening to the last few minutes on the radio at Highbury after our game had finished & they said Oldham were fortunate not to concede a pen. Just our luck. Also seem to remember Le Tissier going very close to an equaliser in those dying moments too.

"Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes." Sir Brian Clough

"We didn’t underestimate them but they were a lot better than we thought." Sir Bobby Robson

Last edited by Pennyfather; 22-02-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 22-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Dig the new breed.

Quote:
Originally posted by KevMason98
After the Arsenal game I decided to go back towards Croydon, rather than go home. I ended up in the Clifton Arms having a beer with a few Palace fans who I didn't know. Somehow didn't want to go home. Got slowly "mashed". Anyway about 10:30 pm some guy comes in and says that there were a load of MANU in the George and that we should all go up there. I think that 3 of us went in and it was full to the brim of Man U doing the can-can and singing Eric Cantana songs. In my sloshed state I had a moment of clarity and decided that I shouldn't be in here and decided to go home. I headed back to Gravesend and let myself into my flat I had there. Trouble is I had actually moved out of the place about 3 months earlier and was trying to rent it out. I actually should have gone back to Sidcup where I was living with my wife of the time. Took some explaining that one.

One last point.....A guy on the train back to East Croydon much earlier in the day could see I was pretty cut up about the relegation and put his arm around me and said something along the lines of "Don't worry mate. It happens. If you want to support a team like Arsenal or Man U who win every week then you can, but when you support Palace there are ups and downs, but it makes those days when we do do something special.........."Really Special". Think it was only a passing comment, but it stuck with me.
The other 2 being my brother & I.

Old 22-02-2007, 11:35 AM

New LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is here
Re: Re: Relegation 93

Quote:
Originally posted by ElwissAtMemphis
Wasn't it Grobbelaar ? What with subsequent events, it makes me wonder whether there might have been a wealthy gentleman in the Far East who had a bet on Oldham to stay up.

James was on their books at the time, but I've got a feeling that Grobbelaar played that match. He was getting more and more erratic towards the end of his career and I think that that match was just about the final straw (if indeed it was him ... I'm not 100% sure)
It was James, I remember listening to that match and my heart sinking.
Old 22-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Dig the new breed.

Re: Re: Re: Relegation 93

Quote:
Originally posted by New LP
It was James, I remember listening to that match and my heart sinking.
Definately James, remember listening on the radio & watching the highlights. I can still see him flapping with his stupid blonde hair now.

Old 22-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Out but not down

Duffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDuffle Coat came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Gauling isn't the word. I was at a wedding on the day of the famous "lap of honour". Went to the bar and the bartender flashed up the final score. I got really out of it on the strength of our win. Following day, all set for a jolly celebration to watch Villa smash Oldham. Had more drink in a pub and watched in horror as Villa capitulated totally. If this was a straight game, I am a monkey's uncle. How Villa got away with it I'll never know. Saturday of the Arsenal game I stayed away from the action until the final twenty minutes and heard how Southampton were coming back (4-0 or 4-1). All false hope. It should never have happened. It should never have happened that relegation. I wasn't even disappointed just totally shocked out of it. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGH
Old 06-02-2011, 06:34 PM

markholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses grow
Absolutely heartbreaking, I remember it was my 13th birthday the day we go sent down by Arsenal, and seeing Wrighty my childhood idol destroy the club I loved was tough to accept. I left highbury in tears.
Such a sad way for Sir Steve’s first spell in charge to end. I still remember returning home from school on the following Thursday to be told to “Coppell’s left” that hurt me more at the time than relegation.

It was a turbulent 12 months
-On/Off transfer saga with “Skip” never really got going in his final season at Palace.
-Paul Williams one and only goal that season came against Palace (Sheff Wed), before joining us a couple of weeks later.
-Points thrown away conceding last minute goals Spurs away, Southampton home etc……
-Missed penalties, Southgate, Mcgoldrick, Salako etc….
-Salako getting injured “again”
-The emergence of Armstrong, the loss of Bright.
-Losing 5-0 at Liverpool, then going on an unbeaten run and Sir SC being names manager of the month for December, only to lose to Hartlepool in the F.A cup to a dubious penalty.
-Some of our best performances were in the cup, Southampton away, Liverpool over the two legs, and of course Chelsea on the wettest night I can remember in SE25.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek
Ironically, Bennett is now playing for Huddersfield.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact a Family charity, who support families with disabled children.

or by texting CPFC16 £5 (or whatever amount) to 70070 to donate to Contact a Family and make a difference today
Old 07-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Maiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMaiden Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I've just looked at the league table to remind me - 49 bloody points from 42 games. We only lost 4 more games than we won.
Arsenal who finished, believe it or not, in 10th, were only 7 pts above us.
And the worse thing was that we down on goal difference. Up to the end of March, our goal diff was far superior to that of Oldham.
Then Oldham beat W'Don 6-2 and then soon after, the Dons beat us 4-0 !
A swing of 8 goals - Thats what made the diff.
I remember the day that Oldham won at Villa. I was playing Cricket and as there were quite a few of us Palace fans in the Team and so at the Tea break, I said I would go to my Car and check on the radio, that we were safe !
Heard the score, told the others amd most said 'no probs, we'll be all right'
But I looked at my mate, who I used to go to SP with and said 'I reckon we're down' and he said 'I agree'.
Don't know why, but I just knew then and there that it would end in tears.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle
Heard the score, told the others amd most said 'no probs, we'll be all right'
But I looked at my mate, who I used to go to SP with and said 'I reckon we're down' and he said 'I agree'.
Don't know why, but I just knew then and there that it would end in tears.
I felt exactly the same.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:51 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Nearly 20 years on and I still find it hard to talk about that day.

All I will say on the matter is I still don't understand why, with Arsenal playing an FA Cup Final the following weekend, we didn't just go out there and kick them off the park. Our players just seemed to stand by and let the day pass them by. If you can use the word 'horrific' to describe a football match, then that's the way I'd describe it.

I don't wanna talk about it anymore....
Old 07-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Otis McOtis

Thanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betrayThanet Eagle is like ice, their footing does betray
Was a real shocker . I stayed in bed all day on the Sunday crying.

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller
Old 07-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11
Nearly 20 years on and I still find it hard to talk about that day.

All I will say on the matter is I still don't understand why, with Arsenal playing an FA Cup Final the following weekend, we didn't just go out there and kick them off the park. Our players just seemed to stand by and let the day pass them by. If you can use the word 'horrific' to describe a football match, then that's the way I'd describe it.

I don't wanna talk about it anymore....
Once it got to the last game, we were always going to lose.

In fact, I think three was the fewest goals we conceded at Highbury in that spell in the top flight, with us letting in four on all the previous meetings.

We did rather better on our next top flight visit to Highbury, though.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:44 PM

kolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is here
The only time football has made me cry
Old 07-02-2011, 04:54 PM

markholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses growmarkholmes1991 knows where the wild roses grow
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek
Once it got to the last game, we were always going to lose.

In fact, I think three was the fewest goals we conceded at Highbury in that spell in the top flight, with us letting in four on all the previous meetings.

We did rather better on our next top flight visit to Highbury, though.
correct me if i'm wrong,
89-90 4-0 defeat
90-91 4-0 defeat
91-92 4-1 defeat, Arsenal were unplayable that day (also lost 4-1 at home)
92-93 3-0 defeat
and also chuck in a 2-0 defeat in the 2nd leg of the fizzy cup that campaign.
Doesn't make for happy reading. I used to dread playing Arsenal.
Think as Bubbs touched upon they had a cup final a week later, and we went down without a wimper, which made it harder to take.
94/95 was a complete surprise, we were our of form. Turned up and got two first half goals from "Salad", Martyn was simply world class that day. Think Wrighty popped up with his 100th goal for Arsenal that day.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:54 PM
One Henry Hughton

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle
I remember the day that Oldham won at Villa. I was playing Cricket and as there were quite a few of us Palace fans in the Team and so at the Tea break, I said I would go to my Car and check on the radio, that we were safe !
The villa-oldham match was live on the tv but I didn't bother watching it and went shopping.I mean Villa were going for the title so there was no way they could lose to Oldham at home
The pre match drinking after Highbury was one of the best post London drink ups I have had though.Carnaby st. pubs were full of us and after a few drinks we decided to forget the result and get the singing going.

Twinned with MK Dons