Home | Forums | Gallery | Predictions | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:27 PM
American Hot

Captain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS Murray
The Running Thread

I have just started running again (last week) after a few months of inactivity. I thought it might motivate me to generate a bit of BBS-based competition, much like the old weight loss threads (anyone remember those?).

I've run off and on for 3 years. I'm 40, 6'3" and just over 17st (i.e. overweight). I am looking at doing a 10k in October, possibly the Dulwich one.

I have done two 10k's before, in 2004 and 2005. I did them in 57 and then 52 minutes. I want to beat 50 minutes with this one. Last night I did 8k in 43.30, so I've got a chance if I put the effort in.

It got me thinking; what are the chances of running 10k in less minutes than your age, and what is the optimum age to do it at? Looking at the world record you aren't going to do it before you're 27 or 28 no matter how good you are......

I reckon I might get there at 42 or 43 if I can work hard.

Anyone out there already achieved this?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Keep St George

King William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
To view the link you have to Register or Login

semi related thread!

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Tenim un nom, el sap tothom
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 10-09-2007, 04:53 PM

Oliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appear
I'm fifteen so no, but I can run round a 200 meter track 26 times in 20 minutes with no real difficulty, thats 5km in 20 minutes so I reckon if I pushed it I would beat 10km under 40 minutes.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:56 PM

Spoons ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerSpoons ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerSpoons ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerSpoons ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerSpoons ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerSpoons ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerSpoons ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerSpoons ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerSpoons ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerSpoons ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerSpoons ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chrysler
Im thinking about doing a 10km run at Christmas. No idea as to times or how much training I'd need to do. In fact, was thinking about starting the training tonight.

How would I measure a 10km distance to practice?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Lone Coyote

Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?
Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Varcoe
I'm fifteen so no, but I can run round a 200 meter track 26 times in 20 minutes with no real difficulty, thats 5km in 20 minutes so I reckon if I pushed it I would beat 10km under 40 minutes.
52 laps? I think you'd get dizzy and fall down first.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Keep St George

King William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKing William : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoons
Im thinking about doing a 10km run at Christmas. No idea as to times or how much training I'd need to do. In fact, was thinking about starting the training tonight.

To view the link you have to Register or Login then go to route planner.
10k is 6.25 miles if you didnt know.

im interested in keeping me minces peeled on this thread, for reasons stated on the other link.

runners world.co.uk has a list of upcoming events.
10k's disapear a bit over the winter months I believe. October seems a popular time for them - ive got one each sunday of the month with the great south 10miler on the final sunday of the month

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 PM
American Hot

Captain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS MurrayCaptain Pizza FFS Murray
Quote:
Originally posted by King William
To view the link you have to Register or Login

semi related thread!
Yes - I nearly posted on your thread but I couldn't claim this was in any way marathon-related - I would screw my 40-year old knees up big time if I tried that. Short & sweet for me......
Old 10-09-2007, 08:12 PM
American Hot

Quote:

Take a look at To view the link you have to Register or Login - you can click directly onto a map of yourlocal area and it calculates the distance for you. I measure all of my routes on this.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 PM

Oliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appearOliver Varcoe endeavours to be what they aspire to appear
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix
52 laps? I think you'd get dizzy and fall down first.
52 laps?

It's 26 round a 200 meter track, that's 13 laps in 20 minutes on a 400m Stadium sized track.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Lone Coyote

Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Steve in Phoenix knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?
You mentioned 26 laps = 5k so 10k = 52 laps..
Old 11-09-2007, 05:02 PM

Ah...sorry. Got it now.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:12 PM

Tomo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTomo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTomo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTomo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTomo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTomo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTomo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTomo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTomo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTomo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTomo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I am about to go for a run at the golf course soon.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:20 PM
American Hot

Did 5k in 27.40 tonight. Bit stiff.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:30 PM

as216 knows his Claret from his Beaujolaisas216 knows his Claret from his Beaujolaisas216 knows his Claret from his Beaujolaisas216 knows his Claret from his Beaujolaisas216 knows his Claret from his Beaujolaisas216 knows his Claret from his Beaujolaisas216 knows his Claret from his Beaujolaisas216 knows his Claret from his Beaujolaisas216 knows his Claret from his Beaujolaisas216 knows his Claret from his Beaujolaisas216 knows his Claret from his Beaujolais
I'm supposed to be training for Beachy Head Marathon at the end of next month (with an Olympic-distance tri chucked in this Sunday too) but my back/pelvis problems flared up again yesterday - have got a physio appointment tomorrow but it's not looking too hopeful that I'll be back up and running for a week or so now.

Good to see so many others getting into it. I started running about three years ago and have brought my 10K PB down from 49 mins to 44 mins and I know I can go further. My target is to go under 40 minutes before I'm 35.

As to the question about running the distance faster than your age, there is one guy in my club who is in his mid-60's and can still knock out 10K's in under 39 minutes.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:43 PM

pmdavis is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyespmdavis is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyespmdavis is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyespmdavis is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyespmdavis is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyespmdavis is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyespmdavis is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyespmdavis is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyespmdavis is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyespmdavis is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyespmdavis is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Pizza
Take a look at To view the link you have to Register or Login - you can click directly onto a map of yourlocal area and it calculates the distance for you. I measure all of my routes on this.

what a great site this is! I love it!
"Steve Coppell delayed the inevitable substitution until 20 minutes from the end, but when Ian Wright eventually came on, the effect was devastating. With his very first touch of the game he got away from Phelan's lunge, left Pallister on his backside in the box, and stroked the ball past Leighton for one of the most perfect goals he will ever score."
Old 12-09-2007, 06:42 AM
American Hot

Quote:
Originally posted by as216
Good to see so many others getting into it. I started running about three years ago and have brought my 10K PB down from 49 mins to 44 mins and I know I can go further. My target is to go under 40 minutes before I'm 35.

As to the question about running the distance faster than your age, there is one guy in my club who is in his mid-60's and can still knock out 10K's in under 39 minutes.
Blimey. 39 minutes in his mid 60's.

When do you reckon you'll get your time below your age then? 37, 38?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Rice burner

Icy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:

Or if you have an ipod Nano you run with then you can use one of the Nike + things which calculates distance for you.

Ive been running on off and my best times over the last few months are 5k in 19.00 and 10k in 43.38

(Im 28 btw).

Xbox Live: icy69
Old 12-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Keep St George

Done 6.6 miles in 1hr 1 min 17 sec tonight.
Felt good, only stopped due to hamies about to explode - otherwise fine.
Speed is graually increasing for me

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 13-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Rice burner

Icy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIcy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I did 6.6k in 23 mins. Need to start going further really.

Xbox Live: icy69
Old 13-09-2007, 08:47 AM

Mr Statto : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMr Statto : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMr Statto : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMr Statto : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMr Statto : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMr Statto : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMr Statto : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMr Statto : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMr Statto : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMr Statto : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMr Statto : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Is there anybody who runs in the Crawley area? Mrs Statto's running partner moved to Worthing a few months ago, and it's really difficult getting her to go out on her own. She was doing 10k in a little over an hour, but has probably slowed down & reduced distance since then

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodstoneEagle
Being the first team to beat them there will never go away, it's like taking the virginity of someone you don't like's sister, just so you can rub it in their face.