Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:54 AM

Icy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoons
Fully kitted out now and just started training.

What would be a reasonable time for a first 10Km road run, c40year of age (male)?
Obviosuly it depends on your level of fitness and your current running ability however i'd suggest about the 55-60 mins range for your first try. Good luck

Quote:
Originally posted by Reps AJ
Just seen this thread...

Just decided to try and add some distance (for me at least!) running into my get fit campaign. Did 3 x 5ks over the last 8 days... down to 26.5 mins. Am now aiming for sub 25! Then sub 20... then take over the world... ok maybe not - but sub 25 seems very do-able
Sub 25 should be fairly easy for you to break as it doesnt require a fast pace just consistancy. Sub 20 mins is a fair bit tougher to do, as you'll need to be going at a much faster pace however if you mix some speed work up with some longer runs it will make it an easier barrier to break. Unfortunately the quicker the time the harder it is to improve on. I cant seem to break the sub 19 min barrier at the mo.

Last edited by Icy; 02-10-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Fiddling the statistics

Eagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
To improve your times the main thing to do is to get your training right. Going out three or four times a week on long runs isn't going to help as much as you think it will. Certainly, it'll give you stamina, but often it will leave you one-paced in races. The best running plan involves trips to a running track for repetitions training, one long-ish run at a fast pace, one longer run at a slow pace, and some hill training.

The repetitions (say, 8 x 400 metres flat out with 100 metre recovery in between) will do wonders for your ability to race at variable speeds, crucial for overtaking and consolidating during events.

The hill training will build up your hamstrings, enabling you to have some bounce when running as well as increasing your lung capacity for long distance runs.

I recommend everyone keen on setting new PBs to read up on the training technqiues of Jack Daniels (not the same guy as sour mash). Tap his name into Google along with running training and it should bring a whole string of pages up.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
sweatshop store in Harrods are doing a deal on 13th and 14th october..
but one pair of running shoes get another (exactly the same ) free. just need to take a copy of runners world magazine with you (available esily enough).

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Tenim un nom, el sap tothom
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 03-10-2007, 07:43 PM
American Hot

Captain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCaptain Pizza : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Had a couple of quieter weeks (only run about 5 times in a fortnight) but my times keep improving - managed 39.30 for my 8k route at the weekend, the first time I have beaten 40 minutes.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 AM

as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216
I did an interval session down at Withdean track last night. 6 x 800m with 2 minute recovery between each one. 800m times were 3:07, 2:59, 3:04, 3:04, 3:04, 3:03.

The advice above about doing intervals for short distance races (3K-10K) is good. What is important though is that the reps are consistent in their time. It's no good doing the first few quickly then fading badly toward the end of the set (however as can be seen from my times above, it does sometimes take a while to get into a rhythm).
Old 04-10-2007, 06:58 PM

Spoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Icy
[B]Obviosuly it depends on your level of fitness and your current running ability however i'd suggest about the 55-60 mins range for your first try. Good luck

Thanks for that - I'll aim for 60mins. Just been out and managed about 6kms on a difficult course. 3 months until the event so reasonable time to improve.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Hi guys, used to be fairly fit but have the current fitness of a tub of playdo due to my illness over the last 4 years or so.

Anyone got any recommendations where to start from 0.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:13 PM
King of Curry

Lombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Stavros 69
Hi guys, used to be fairly fit but have the current fitness of a tub of playdo due to my illness over the last 4 years or so.

Personally I would recommend staring with a fifteen minute run at a steady pace twice a week and working up from there adding a few mins (perhaps 3-4mins) each week. I run about forty mins (on street and park)twice a week which has built up over about 4 years and now include interval training(short fast bursts every now and then) at many points of the run. Also a decent pair of shock absorbing trainers are essential to help avoid sore joints/injuries. It has not only ensured I stay resonably fit, but is also great for relieving the stresses of the working day!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:21 PM

Tomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Just as I started getting into regular running I brake my rib
Old 05-10-2007, 01:45 PM

Icy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Stavros 69

Just start out with whatever you can handle. As Lombardian said a gentle jog (at the kind of level where you feel you could still chat whilst jogging) for 15-20 mins a few times a week is a good start. Dont be afriad to slow down and walk whenever you need to.

Get in a routine and you'll soon find that you can begin running at a consistantly faster pace or for longer. If your using the gym mix in light weights and swimming / rowing etc and that will help as well. Good luck mate.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomo
Just as I started getting into regular running I brake my rib
Thats unlucky Tomo. If its any consolation starting when its repaired will be easier than starting from scratch.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
bloody annoyed. beaulie 10k today 54 31. 5 seconds slower than last weeks hampton court.
had problems with kness all week, and then had a bout of ghandi's revenge this morning from a "spicey sausage" last night.
could and should have beaten last weeks time.

just shows how eating the right foods the day before helps.
will hopefully make amends at next sundays clapham common 10k.

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 07-10-2007, 12:59 PM

as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216 as216
What were the courses like? Sometimes all it takes is a little bit of undulation to throw any time predictions out of the window. Fast and flat courses are rare, and sometimes it takes a high quality field to pull everyone else along. Oh, and 5 seconds is nothing - a good sprint kick about 200m from home can wipe that out. You can get so much quicker.

Today's Chichester 10K (which doubled as AAA Champs) and the Brighton 10K next month are good PB courses.

Yesterday I did my first ever cross country race - Sussex County Relay Champs at Goodwood Racecourse. 16 minutes and 4K of pure torture. Part of me needs my head tested seeing as I'm going to do more of them!!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Keep St George

Quote:
Originally posted by as216
5 seconds is nothing - a good sprint kick about 200m from home can wipe that out. You can get so much quicker.

thats why im so disapointed! Left it way too late to pick it up at the end (didnt help that I didnt see 500m to go sign) and the finish line was "round the corner" so couldnt see how far to go.

course was round the beaulie estate. off road: gravel tracks/uncut grassland - pot holes. slightly hilly in places. still, was over 5 minutes faster then last year on the same event.

determined to make up for it next sunday at clapham 10k.

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Barça, Barça, Barça

Last edited by King William; 07-10-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 13-10-2007, 11:04 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I did my first non-stop mile in the week. First time in probably 30+ years. Did it again Friday.

It took me nearly a year to get there (not the mile… working up to it!) ..... Probably took me 8-10 minutes, but now I've done it I can start working on the times.
Old 14-10-2007, 09:05 PM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog
I did my first non-stop mile in the week. First time in probably 30+ years. Did it again Friday.

It took me nearly a year to get there (not the mile… working up to it!) ..... Probably took me 8-10 minutes, but now I've done it I can start working on the times.
Well done Hedgehog

Mentally and physically you will know that you can do it next time you go out, keep up the good work.

When I first started running I was so unfit, all I wanted to be able to do was run a few hundred meters to be able to catch a bus.

I ended up doing the marathon! It's all tiny steps, but everything you do helps for the next time.
Old 15-10-2007, 04:09 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by palace_burger
Well done Hedgehog

Mentally and physically you will know that you can do it next time you go out, keep up the good work.

When I first started running I was so unfit, all I wanted to be able to do was run a few hundred meters to be able to catch a bus.

I ended up doing the marathon! It's all tiny steps, but everything you do helps for the next time.
Thanks.... It is a lot easier when you know you can do it! It took me about 3 months to get there... from 50 metres at a time to the mile.

At first my knees would kill me the next day, or shin splints, but that seems to have gone away. The next problem was getting oxygen to the lungs! Again that gets better with every run. I'm now doing a 4 mile route, with walk/run/walk/run a mile at a time.
Old 15-10-2007, 06:50 PM

GJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Its an effort to do 10k an hour for 20 minutes on a treadmile (gradient 1%) 3 times a week. But better than having to be scrapped from the floor after 1 time a week I guess
Old 16-10-2007, 01:22 AM
The Spiky One

I got overtaken today by a girl/lady which was a bit sad. Plus she kept going when I had to stop.

She then had the nerve to smile at me as she passed me on the return.

Still, it gives me some motivation.
Old 16-10-2007, 06:56 PM

Spoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Just been out again. 6km including a few hills in 36 minutes. Bang on course for 10km in 1 hour or less if the route is kind.

Felt a twinge in my calf mussel after I finished - may need to cut down on the distance for a couple of outings but bit unsure of how long/what distance to do if I am not doing stamina building.

Might try the local track which at least is flat.

Any ideas ?
Old 16-10-2007, 09:24 PM
King of Curry

Lombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLombardarian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoons
Just been out again. 6km including a few hills in 36 minutes. Bang on course for 10km in 1 hour or less if the route is kind.

Felt a twinge in my calf mussel after I finished - may need to cut down on the distance for a couple of outings but bit unsure of how long/what distance to do if I am not doing stamina building.

Might try the local track which at least is flat.

Any ideas ?
Ensuring some hills are involved can be great for helping become more powerful runner. Regarding you twinge problem- I find as weather gets cold that wearing warmer track suit bottoms rather than shorts can help reduce injuries/muscle twinges. Also, stretching your calf muscles for a couple of mins before and after your runs will probably help. You could do this by standing up on tiptoe for a few seconds then lowering a few times for example.