Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 29-01-2018, 09:31 AM

immoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
Didn’t run it but saw the medal for the Crystal Palace run through today contained an eagle and presented on a red and blue ribbon- fair play to the organisers for that
Did the winter run of it, same medal. Was a good route, pretty hard on the hills.
Old 29-01-2018, 09:53 PM

cantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by immoralgiant View Post
Did the winter run of it, same medal. Was a good route, pretty hard on the hills.

Did my long run with the club there on Sunday when the run was on - hills there are easier than the one up from dulwich Park to Crystal Palace
Old 29-01-2018, 09:59 PM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
A piddly 3k run tonight. First run since Brighton Marathon last April. Lost a lot of fitness and interest since then but despite the short distance tonight, good to blow away the cobwebs!
Old 30-01-2018, 07:08 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Did Riddlesdown Park run on Saturday...
one of the hardest running experiences of my life. Was worse than any cross country I remember doing as a kid.
My calves and Achilles really felt it. Still managed to run on Sunday and last night but couple of days rest now.
I’ve set myself a target of running 1000km this year. Looks like I’ll finish January on 85 which is a solid start
Old 10-02-2018, 10:46 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Did Bromley park run today. Smashed my park run PB by a minute 20!
Completed in around 20 minutes 20 which is well ahead of where I wanted to be!

Breaking 20 minutes in early spring seems very possible now
Old 10-02-2018, 07:34 PM

Spoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpoons : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Anyone else doing the London Landmarks half at the end of March?
Old 11-02-2018, 08:27 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
The Running Thread

This thread makes interesting reading for me. I'm 6 foot 3, around 15 1/2 stone and aged 45. I have always been very active with sports and in reasonably good condition, but over the past couple of years job pressures have eaten into my time and my ability and (to be honest) motivation to keep active has diminished significantly. This came to a head last year when a work based health check revealed high cholesterol and blood pressure, and I put on around 20 pounds in weight.

I decided over Christmas that it's now or never to get things back on an even keel and though I've never been a fan of going out for a run (have dabbled with it on and off for many years) I decided on the spur of the moment the Saturday before new year go get up out of bed early and see how far I could go.

That day I did 2 miles including a stop halfway, which is pretty feeble for someone like me (or like how I used to be) but it was a start. The following day I did the same and since then I've tried my best to chip away at it with 2 or 3 runs a week. Yesterday morning I got up to 3 miles without stopping including a pretty brutal hill climb halfway through, in unpleasant conditions. Small steps but decent progress. I am never going to be entering any half marathons but I'm aiming to get up to around the 5 mile mark by the summer.

I still dislike running, I find it boring and uncomfortable, but yesterday for the first time I found myself entering into the 'zone' for the last mile or so when I allowed my mind to wander and I was eating up the road without really noticing. You do feel better about yourself for making the effort and the weight is starting to come off (also helped by dietary improvements of course). I have lost 5 pounds so far
Old 11-02-2018, 08:53 AM

CamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If you could do five miles non stop, you would almost certainly make it round a half marathon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
This thread makes interesting reading for me. I'm 6 foot 3, around 15 1/2 stone and aged 45. I have always been very active with sports and in reasonably good condition, but over the past couple of years job pressures have eaten into my time and my ability and (to be honest) motivation to keep active has diminished significantly. This came to a head last year when a work based health check revealed high cholesterol and blood pressure, and I put on around 20 pounds in weight.

I decided over Christmas that it's now or never to get things back on an even keel and though I've never been a fan of going out for a run (have dabbled with it on and off for many years) I decided on the spur of the moment the Saturday before new year go get up out of bed early and see how far I could go.

That day I did 2 miles including a stop halfway, which is pretty feeble for someone like me (or like how I used to be) but it was a start. The following day I did the same and since then I've tried my best to chip away at it with 2 or 3 runs a week. Yesterday morning I got up to 3 miles without stopping including a pretty brutal hill climb halfway through, in unpleasant conditions. Small steps but decent progress. I am never going to be entering any half marathons but I'm aiming to get up to around the 5 mile mark by the summer.

I still dislike running, I find it boring and uncomfortable, but yesterday for the first time I found myself entering into the 'zone' for the last mile or so when I allowed my mind to wander and I was eating up the road without really noticing. You do feel better about yourself for making the effort and the weight is starting to come off (also helped by dietary improvements of course). I have lost 5 pounds so far
Old 11-02-2018, 01:30 PM

cantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Well done camberley - we have a few big lads at our running club. In fact I ran with one today and he managed 17 miles - just build up the miles slowly and you’ll be fine. Try your local park run as getting round a 5k course would be a good start and there’s a mixture of all abilities.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:59 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Bipe I am 52 and 18 stone. I just did 6 miles, been gradually building fitness, flexibility and strength with gym, running, gentle swimming and stretching.

If I can do it with the amount I drink, anyone can.

What I need to do now is sort out the diet and cut the drinking right down.

But anyway what I really wanted to say you have the done the hardest part. That is getting off your arse and starting. Well done

Last edited by adrenalin john; 11-02-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:09 AM

immoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimmoralgiant : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Anyone else doing the London Landmarks half at the end of March?
I'm an official pacer for Centurion running at 3 hours.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:11 AM

Try parkrun, social side makes running a lot nicer. Also if you have any trails near you give them a go, much nicer than the roads (although some people just don't get on well off-road).
Old 12-02-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
Bipe I am 52 and 18 stone. I just did 6 miles, been gradually building fitness, flexibility and strength with gym, running, gentle swimming and stretching.

If I can do it with the amount I drink, anyone can.

What I need to do now is sort out the diet and cut the drinking right down.

But anyway what I really wanted to say you have the done the hardest part. That is getting off your arse and starting. Well done
Good words.

I've found that if I run I have less interest in drinking that day. And if I've planned to run then unlikely to drink the day before.

The other thing that made it much easier for me was to build running into my day. So when I first started I just ran with the dog instead of walking her, or I'll run from Victoria to my office in Camden (or visa versa) instead of getting a tube.

Now I do Park Run etc which is also great.
Old 16-02-2018, 11:02 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Appreciate all the positive words.

I edged up to just a shade under 4 miles this morning, although I did need a 2 minute wee break around two thirds of the way through. I have started to factor in some off-road trail parts to my runs, we are quite lucky in living in a rural location with a good network of both very quiet roads and good bridleways etc from which several different loops can be formed.

I am not that keen on the park run concept, I don't mind the solitude of being out on my own. Often I won't see a soul during the course of the run but might see a few rabbits, pheasants etc. In addition I am quite a huffer and puffer when I run and wouldn't have the breath for any social chit chat en route!
Old 16-02-2018, 11:14 AM

I’ve never chatted going round. Neither does my dad...

But through banstead park run he has made some very close friends and they regularly do park run tours now.

I also find it motivates me to run quicker having other people and people I want to target etc.
Some park runs even have pace setters which is a real touch
Old 16-02-2018, 10:06 PM

Give the parkrun a try BIpe so nice courses locally and as Tomo says lots of benefits. No one will care how noisily or not you run
Old 17-02-2018, 10:36 AM

20:45 today fastest for over a year and not really been doing any speed sessions- back over 70% age grading too. Pleased with that
Old 17-02-2018, 06:34 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Did another 10k today, hard work and I was very slow.

I mainly run through parks and reckon I am positive motivation both for those not running who think, well if that fat old **** can run then so can I and for other runners because even the slowest of them have someone to overtake.

My first goal is to run 10k under 50minutes and it is going to take a while to get there. But if I can sort out my diet and alcohol intake, I am at least now fit enough to train.
Old 17-02-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
20:45 today fastest for over a year and not really been doing any speed sessions- back over 70% age grading too. Pleased with that
Impressive.

I have to say this is my favourite thread on the bbs. Although running is a lonely pursuit this thread is almost always both positive and supportive of others.
Old 18-02-2018, 11:16 AM

LSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Went up on to the North Downs during my morning run for the first time in a while, was really lovely up there at half seven without a soul around.