Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 19-11-2007, 10:36 PM

moverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Re: Top 20 Largest attendances for matches involving Palace

Quote:
Originally posted by Dorking .Eagle

There must be a Palace fan alive somewhere who has done as many as 18 of the top 20????

10 for me.

I reckon Eric Pudney's on 18.
Old 19-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Supporter since '72

Blackfen Eagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorBlackfen Eagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorBlackfen Eagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorBlackfen Eagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorBlackfen Eagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorBlackfen Eagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorBlackfen Eagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorBlackfen Eagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorBlackfen Eagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorBlackfen Eagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly SailorBlackfen Eagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly Sailor
7 for me
Old 19-11-2007, 10:44 PM
52 years and counting...

Chobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
10 for me
Old 19-11-2007, 10:55 PM

JannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Chobham Eagle
10 for me
... and me
Old 19-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Banned by Moderators

Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?Matt25 knows a lot of things that you don't - wanna hear some?
21 for me
Old 20-11-2007, 06:44 AM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Re: Re: Top 20 Largest attendances for matches involving Palace

Quote:
Originally posted by moverman
10 for me.

I reckon Eric Pudney's on 18.
That wouldn't surprise me at all – and still going. Well done Eric
Old 20-11-2007, 06:53 AM

IanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
11 for me. I guess if we could get to the Premiership and stay there for a few years, this list would change completely, with Man Utd holding 75K, Arsenal 60K and Newcastle 52K and all selling out every game.
Old 20-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Indeed Ian, and with Liverpool building a 60k ground too and Spurs looking to increase WHL to 55k the list would just be Finals and Prem games.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 20-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Doting Grandfather

BaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Only 10 for me...
Old 20-11-2007, 08:13 AM
moist

chelmsfordeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchelmsfordeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchelmsfordeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchelmsfordeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchelmsfordeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchelmsfordeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchelmsfordeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchelmsfordeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchelmsfordeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchelmsfordeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchelmsfordeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Indeed Ian, and with Liverpool building a 60k ground too and Spurs looking to increase WHL to 55k the list would just be Finals and Prem games.
villa have plans to go to 55K as well. Surely chelsea must be planning something? And whats Evertons new ground capacity going to be?
Old 20-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Chelsea have no room to expand at Stamford Bridge - the hotel and apartments behind the shed have limited the one stand that could have been built really huge and got the overall capacity over 50k

I read somewhere that Chelsea were considering a site near Earls Court (possibly Earls Court Car Park?) or Olympia - not sure how concrete those plans would be

If Villa extended capacity, it would have to be by replacing the North Stand with a bigger stand that wraps round to both the Witton Lane and Trinity Road stands
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 20-11-2007, 12:29 PM
P40 West Maigh EO FC

Away Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Any figures, for say, top twenty attendances at Selhurst ?
"In memory of your father, Sean" she said.
And when I put the Sam Browne on
she was smiling with the tears.
As she placed the broad black brimmer on my head.
Old 20-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Collecting Palace tat

It'd take a little while to do but I could have a look at doing it later.

I reckon there'd be about 20 over 40,000, mostly top flight games from the early 70's and early 80's with a few big FA Cup games thrown in.

I think Wimbledon-Leeds in the 70's got a massive gate at Selhurst too.

Old 20-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Since '67

ozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
5 for me, but I left the country in 1980. I can't believe there were 51,000 at that fa cup game At Sunderland though, there was plenty of room on the terraces, by that I mean it wasn't exactly hemmed in.

PFIA, That Man Utd game away, was that the game where they were letting aerial bomb shells off from the Stretford end before the start of the game ?
Old 20-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Here's a question to ponder for the longer serving supporters.....

The 1976 FA Cup Run produced three of the 20 top attendances in this list (2 at Stamford Bridge and one at Roker Park), but had Palace got a HOME tie against, say Chelsea in Round 5, what do you reckon the attendance would have been? 55-60k?

Not being funny but Chelsea visiting Selhurst was always a massive attendance in the late 60's - early 70's anyway (even for a run of the mill league game, or early round cup game) but add in the fact that more Palace fans would have attended than the large number that went to Stamford Bridge,

and the fact that neutrals in the area would have attended due to the chance to watch an underdog in the Cup (just see how many went to Wimbledon-Leeds) and it would have been a recipe for a bigger gate than Burnley '79 (which was played at night, whereas the FA Cup games were Saturday afternoons)

Old 20-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Dobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
11 for me. Would have been 12, but coach broke down on the way to first ever Div 1 away game at Everton in 1968 - was gutted at the time; remember hearing Mel Blyth had scored on the radio.
Old 20-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Dobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

The 1976 FA Cup Run produced three of the 20 top attendances in this list (2 at Stamford Bridge and one at Roker Park), but had Palace got a HOME tie against, say Chelsea in Round 5, what do you reckon the attendance would have been? 55-60k?
Think a sell out was around 48,500 in those days. Not sure how 52,000 squeezed in for Burnley game.
Old 20-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Archiebald Leich's original plans of the ground (from 1924) were on display at the Centenary exhibition a couple of years ago, and it was always intended to have a top capacity (when the terraces were concreted) of over 60k. Indeed the first programme at Selhurst Park (against Sheff Wednesday) talked speculatively about achieveing such capacity in the future.

I've yet to meet anyone who stood at the Burnley game who doesn't say it was packed like sardines, so I guess the limit was supposed to be 48,500?

Old 20-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Since '67

ozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:

Not being funny but Chelsea visiting Selhurst was always a massive attendance in the late 60's - early 70's anyway (even for a run of the mill league game, or early round cup game) but add in the fact that more Palace fans would have attended than the large number that went to Stamford Bridge,

and the fact that neutrals in the area would have attended due to the chance to watch an underdog in the Cup (just see how many went to Wimbledon-Leeds) and it would have been a recipe for a bigger gate than Burnley '79 (which was played at night, whereas the FA Cup games were Saturday afternoons)
Beleive it or not, there is an argument, that despite Palace being in the 3rd Division at that time, Palace were probably the 3rd most popular team in London, after Arsenal and Tottenham, This is born out by the exact point you are making, re Chelsea. Reason being Chelsea's ground had just undergone a major transformation that season, and Palace filled it more than any other club. It's a tenuous argument but it works for me. Westham and Chelsea had very Ordinary seasons that year, and Palace had their most extraordinary one.

I'm very glad you raised this point I must say, always wanted to put it forward, and finally someone provided the opening.

I've got no idea what the Attendance would have been, but there was a straight out 3rd division game that season that broke the 3rd division crowd attendance for London, at 38,000 + against Millwall. I guess we could have squeezed plus 50,000 in for Chelsea, but it would have been damn hard to see LOL..
Old 20-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Collecting Palace tat

I guess the reasonable conclusion would be that it would have been a lock-out (like Burnley '79 was) as 50,000+ would surely have attended