Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 20-11-2007, 12:58 PM

Twin of Droy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwin of Droy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwin of Droy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwin of Droy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwin of Droy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwin of Droy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwin of Droy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwin of Droy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwin of Droy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwin of Droy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTwin of Droy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
11 for me.

10/ 55,074 Chelsea 2 Palace 0 - FA Cup 3rd Round Replay 1970/71 (Stamford Bridge)

Seems an incredible figure these days with little interest in the early rounds of FA cup.
Doubt 22,000 would attend now.
Old 20-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Chelsea would drop their prices to £25 all round the ground, Palace would fill the 6,000 we would be allocated, and about 22k would attend as you say.

The 5th and 6th Round gates at Chelsea and Sunderland in 1976 just show what incredible charisma Big Mal must have had - he literally drew the crowds with all the hype and aura surrounding him and his fearless attacking team.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 20-11-2007, 01:07 PM

Eagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that far
Only five for me. Although 11 were before I started supporting Palace and three during a self imposed absence following a wrongful banning order.
Old 20-11-2007, 01:09 PM

Potton Eagle knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayPotton Eagle knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayPotton Eagle knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayPotton Eagle knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayPotton Eagle knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayPotton Eagle knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayPotton Eagle knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayPotton Eagle knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayPotton Eagle knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayPotton Eagle knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego wayPotton Eagle knows a pretty little place in southern California, down San Diego way
I went to seven of these with the FA Cup semi at Stamford Bridge the first. Never forgiven bloody Southampton!
Old 20-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Fast 'n Bulbous

HolmesdaleNomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHolmesdaleNomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHolmesdaleNomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHolmesdaleNomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHolmesdaleNomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHolmesdaleNomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHolmesdaleNomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHolmesdaleNomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHolmesdaleNomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHolmesdaleNomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHolmesdaleNomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
10, me.
Old 20-11-2007, 01:23 PM
P40 West Maigh EO FC

Away Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Out of interest how many did we take to the Chelsea and Southampton ( ) cup games ?
"In memory of your father, Sean" she said.
And when I put the Sam Browne on
she was smiling with the tears.
As she placed the broad black brimmer on my head.

Last edited by Away Day Eagle; 20-11-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 20-11-2007, 01:24 PM

Ridcully has disabled reputation
Only 6 here
Old 20-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Searching the Holy Grail

selhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murray
There were loads of empty seats at the 1990 Cup Final replay
Old 20-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Since '67

ozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineozzieEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Away Day Eagle
Out of interest how many did we take to the Chelsea and Southampton ( ) cup games ?
I'd say close to 30,000 for the semi final v Southampton, I'm sure there were more Palace supporters for that than Southampton... That Chelsea game was something else... At least 20,000 I would say. I think another record was broken that day, one that doesnt get talked about much. AFAIK, it was the longest skirmish or crowd turmoil during a game, where a punch up lasted for at least 15-20 mins during the 2nd half.
Old 20-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Searching the Holy Grail

selhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murray
6 for me.
Old 20-11-2007, 02:02 PM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Dorking .Eagle
Here's a question to ponder for the longer serving supporters.....

The 1976 FA Cup Run produced three of the 20 top attendances in this list (2 at Stamford Bridge and one at Roker Park), but had Palace got a HOME tie against, say Chelsea in Round 5, what do you reckon the attendance would have been? 55-60k?

Not being funny but Chelsea visiting Selhurst was always a massive attendance in the late 60's - early 70's anyway (even for a run of the mill league game, or early round cup game) but add in the fact that more Palace fans would have attended than the large number that went to Stamford Bridge,

and the fact that neutrals in the area would have attended due to the chance to watch an underdog in the Cup (just see how many went to Wimbledon-Leeds) and it would have been a recipe for a bigger gate than Burnley '79 (which was played at night, whereas the FA Cup games were Saturday afternoons)
Doubt it, actually. While all-ticket games were relatively rare, they were sometimes used for cup games. Certainly, we had a game against Chelsea in 69/70 season (I think) which was all ticket.

Sunderland (a) in the 76 cup run was all ticket, as was the semi, obviously. Can't remember about the others - perhaps others can. I had a ticket for Leeds game but that was because we sat in the stand. I'll have to check the old programmes.

That said, I would have thought that had we been drawn at home to Chelsea, it would have been made all-ticket, which would probably have limited the attendance to around 48,000.
Old 20-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Away Day Eagle
I was there for both. I was sitting in the main stand for both games (so the penalty was to my right, in front of the Shed). The Chelsea game was so dramatic, so emotional and so unexpected.

As for Southampton, I went to the game actually expecting to win. After all, we had beaten Sunderland, Leeds and Chelsea away - beating a Team in division two would surely be a walk-over. It was an awful game and we never looked like getting anything from it.
Old 20-11-2007, 02:31 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I can count being at 11 of the games on the list, could have been 14, but my chances to travel away games from work are limited now - so the recent games at Man U & Newcastle were not possible.

BTW - I can name 18 attendances at matches played at CPFC that easily top 50,000.
Old 20-11-2007, 02:37 PM

Braders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
only six for me.
Old 20-11-2007, 02:44 PM

Kev Sussex is playing for a contract
13 for me - must be getting old
Old 20-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Big Member

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
10 for me

Just missed out on the FA Cup run 75/76 which would have boosted that.
Old 20-11-2007, 03:35 PM

silverymoon has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!silverymoon has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!silverymoon has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!silverymoon has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!silverymoon has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!silverymoon has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!silverymoon has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!silverymoon has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!silverymoon has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!silverymoon has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!silverymoon has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
11 for me. At Palace v Burnley it felt like over 50,000 were leaning on my back. I could not even get my hand into my pocket to get my fags out it was so packed
Old 20-11-2007, 03:42 PM

IanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzieEagle
I'd say close to 30,000 for the semi final v Southampton, I'm sure there were more Palace supporters for that than Southampton... That Chelsea game was something else... At least 20,000 I would say. I think another record was broken that day, one that doesnt get talked about much. AFAIK, it was the longest skirmish or crowd turmoil during a game, where a punch up lasted for at least 15-20 mins during the 2nd half.
For the fifth round Cup game, we had the whole of the North Stand terrace (which must have held between 10 and 15,000) and a lot (if not all) of the West Stand - I was sitting in the West Stand right up next to the Shed End where it was all Palace around me, so I assume that we had most of that side. Probably Palace's best ever away support for a game that wasn't at a neutral venue.

I think Leeds was around 4,000 and Sunderland between 4 and 6,000. We had three full specials at Sunderland (and I would guess that they used to hold around 1,000-1,500 per train).
Old 20-11-2007, 04:29 PM

Eagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that farEagle Of Cray stole the moon, stole a car. Could've made it to heaven but never got that far
Quote:
Originally posted by silverymoon
I could not even get my hand into my pocket to get my fags out it was so packed
What else was in your pockets?
Old 21-11-2007, 02:36 AM
Ex-pat leviathan

GodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
i've done 6 and am only 18