Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 21-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Yorkshire's finest

EMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againEMLEY EAGLE lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love again
I did 13 of those. And no that did not include the game in the 30's!
Old 21-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Only 8
Old 21-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Kitler

Baldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behind
Quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Britain
I got to 9 (Never forgave my replacement in India turning up 1 week late so I missed the ZDS..Only time we ever won something) Thats not bad considering I havnt lived in the UK since 1990!!

Baldy must be at 14 and maybe even 15???

14 actually. Good call.

I have seen some of the 11-4 Man City goals on the dvd though. Makes our defence now look good !!
Old 21-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Kitler

Baldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behindBaldy will leave the TV and the radio behind
Quote:
Originally posted by Dorking .Eagle
I've yet to meet anyone who stood at the Burnley game who doesn't say it was packed like sardines
I was in the middle of the Holmesdale having got there very early. The stewarding/organisation was superb and I can honestly say it felt no more crowded where I was than other games in those days.

Mind you, I didn't try to get out for a p1ss !!
Old 23-11-2007, 07:00 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by cad
Doubt it, actually. While all-ticket games were relatively rare, they were sometimes used for cup games. Certainly, we had a game against Chelsea in 69/70 season (I think) which was all ticket.

Sunderland (a) in the 76 cup run was all ticket, as was the semi, obviously. Can't remember about the others - perhaps others can. I had a ticket for Leeds game but that was because we sat in the stand. I'll have to check the old programmes.

That said, I would have thought that had we been drawn at home to Chelsea, it would have been made all-ticket, which would probably have limited the attendance to around 48,000.
Agree Cad, they'd have made it all ticket for definite. Also Chelsea were in the second division and their support was dwindling. As for the Burnley game, everyone expected a huge crowd but I think everyone was amazed as to how many showed up.
Old 23-11-2007, 11:04 PM

Stroud Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStroud Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStroud Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStroud Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStroud Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStroud Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStroud Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStroud Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStroud Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStroud Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStroud Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
10 for me.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Mmm, Flaming Burgers

BBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by James
The games I missed:

1. 67,814 Man United 5 Palace 2 - Premiership 2004/05 (Old Trafford)

2. 56,177 Arsenal 7 C. Palace 0 - FA Cup 4th Round 1933/34 (Highbury)

3. 52,123 Newcastle Utd 0 Palace 0 - Premiership 2004/05 (St James Park)

4. 51,630 Man. City 11 C. Palace 4 - FA Cup 5th Round 1925/26 (Maine Road)

.. and to be honest I can't remember the Everton 2 Palace 1 game in 1968/69 but I am certain I was there, because I only missed one away game in our first Season in Division One and it wasn't that one!
I would reckon 18 is the maximum you'll find anyone's been to, so a pretty decent turnout there James.

11 on the list for me: 1-6, 9, 12 (my first game ) and 14-16.

Just to put the Burnley (51,801) gate in perspective - although we all know it was actually higher) - the previous two games in the League Vs Charlton & Notts Co. drew 28,593 & 23,454 respectively....that's a total of 52,047 - and these two games were quite respectably filled!

How about the next 20 (21-40) on our highest attendances list?
Old 08-12-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm watching you

biggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is here
12 for me.

Just how many gobs, clambering for his knob? Must be the old chum brigade.

The party on the left, are now the party on the right.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Mmm, Flaming Burgers

BBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzieEagle
there was a straight out 3rd division game that season that broke the 3rd division crowd attendance for London, at 38,000 + against Millwall.
Would have been my first game (Tue before the Saints Semi) but it was just too much of a crush to get in.

Man City had full houses all the time they were in the 3rd but their capacity was only 32K wasn't it?

Millwall is another game that has strangely undergone an attandance change with 38,000 being the acknowledged figure at the time, yet changing to 34,893 in the Complete Record.

32,000 odd (Yorkshiremen) at Leeds V Huddersfield today. Biggest in '25 Years' for the 3rd Division.

Last edited by BBD; 08-12-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:40 PM
rusty body, strong engine

stamford triumph came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstamford triumph came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstamford triumph came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstamford triumph came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstamford triumph came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstamford triumph came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstamford triumph came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstamford triumph came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstamford triumph came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstamford triumph came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstamford triumph came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
just managed 9 of those, but one better than my brother who was locked out of the Burnley game as by the time he arrived they had managed to stop people getting in over the walls.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:52 PM

dave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdave_who_ru came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Twin of Droy
10/ 55,074 Chelsea 2 Palace 0 - FA Cup 3rd Round Replay 1970/71 (Stamford Bridge)

Seems an incredible figure these days with little interest in the early rounds of FA cup.
Doubt 22,000 would attend now.
And it was chucking it down. I was absolutely soaked that night.

LFC fansite
Old 08-12-2007, 07:09 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
I managed 8. Vivid memories of the Sunderland game when the train broke down and we arrived at half time. The rail company gave the travel club a refund and we all went to Mansfield a few weeks later for 1. We took two special trains for a third division match to Mansfield.

The away support that surprised me was the ZDS match against Everton. There were thousands of Palace at Victoria that Sunday lunchtime and we must have had 40k fans there that day.

I am quite surpised that match against Man U in 89 was not on the list. Before the kick off the fan next to me picked up his programme and said "oh dear, this looks good. At number 7 they have Bryan Robson and we have Phil Barber". We then went one down but came back to win 2-1. The United fans behind us unfolded a banner saying Fergie ouy.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Mmm, Flaming Burgers

Quote:
Originally posted by Nth Kent Eagle
Fergie ouy.
Actually sounds Glaswegian this - like a greeting call: 'Oi You-ee'

No doubting he was close to the chop though. Had we beaten Man City at Home the week before we would have finished above them in the League AND subsequently put even more pressure on him to win the tie.

Conceding the two late goals and the Madchester love-in on the pitch after I always felt may not have been the best preparation, for a game, which if we'd have won could have changed the face of British Football over the next decade and a half.

In the Glory Glory progs they have had subsequently, you'll notice they are always very quick to cover over any hint of a suggestion that Fergie was that close to getting the sack.

And to think - it could have been us winning the Cup Winners Cup Vs Barcelona, followed by nine League titles....
Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 PM

Archiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
12 for me.
Old 15-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Lee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
12 for me
Old 15-12-2007, 10:00 PM

redders2000 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkredders2000 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkredders2000 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkredders2000 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkredders2000 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkredders2000 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkredders2000 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkredders2000 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkredders2000 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkredders2000 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkredders2000 sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nth Kent Eagle
[B]I managed 8. Vivid memories of the Sunderland game when the train broke down and we arrived at half time. The rail company gave the travel club a refund and we all went to Mansfield a few weeks later for 1. We took two special trains for a third division match to Mansfield.

i was on that train, we got there at half time after running all the way from the station, problem was sundeland thought we wernt coming and let loads of sunderland fans in, one of the buggers nicked my malcolm allison fedora he copped a few punches on the nose but hit me a few times more than i hit him so he got the hat
Go to sleep. everything is all right.

I close my eyes, then I drift away
Into the magic night. I softly say
A silent prayerlike dreamers do.
Then I fall asleep to dream my dreams of you.
Old 17-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Someone who was

Eric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Surprised that the Palace V Man Utd game where we lost 3-5 (around 1974) isn't up there.

19 out of 20 for me though.....
Old 17-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Someone who was

Eric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEric the Ginga : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Actually 17 / 20,
Old 17-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Britain

The next thread is Palaces 20 worst attendances..Knowing my luck I will have 20/20
Palace v Brighton Full Members Cup c1985
Palace v Millwall Anglo Italian 1993
Palace v Walsall Simod Cup 1989

Trying to think of others

I'm 0/3 on those ones
The One More Point book is underway....and only 12 years late. This will be a book about not just One More Point but a look at all fanzines and their impact. It will look at what it was like being a Palace fan and football fan back in the 80s/90s. If you have comments, memories or just to remind me some (most likely drunken) incident back in the day then please PM me. And if you can think of a decent title then please step right up!
Old 17-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Only 7 for me. I'd like to see the worst attended home league games - reckon I'd have most of those.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact a Family charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And donate here https://www.justgiving.com/CyclingtheSeason

or by texting CPFC16 5 (or whatever amount) to 70070 to donate to Contact a Family and make a difference today