Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 16-10-2013, 10:19 PM

Grassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fear
Dare I bump this thread again.......?

There was a bit of talk about investigating further the former Palace players that served and in some cases died in WW1 but I think all our good intentions were over taken by present day reality! Anyway, as we approach another 11th November, and prodded by a piece on Orient on the One Show this evening I thought I'd raise the issue again?

Of immediate interest is what plans, if any are in place for Remembrance this year - we are at home on the 9th, to Everton, so I assume something will be done that day?

And then would be good to look at how we go about remembering those players who joined up, with a permanent memorial of some kind at Selhurst maybe.
Old 16-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Is on dis ting.

dannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If we had records of players from 1905-1918 would make life a little easier of course I doubt we do.

If anyone has information is this player then that would be good if true obviously this is from someone on the Great War forum

I cant remember the player's name, but there was a Palace centre-half in the 20s that used to play with one arm strapped to his torso as a result of wounds received with the Royal West Kents in F&F. (I may have mentioned him previously in this thread). I think he captained Palace as well. Obviously the game has changed enormously in the last 90 years - its less physical but requires greater levels of fitness - but I found it remarkable that this man was still able to play at a high level and of all places, at centre half.
"They will always have this. They will always have those two exquisite moments of silence. No matter what happens against Watford at Wembley, no matter whether they make it to the promised land, the night when the Amex Stadium fell quiet will enter into Crystal Palace folklore, into legend."

Last edited by dannyboy1807; 16-10-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 16-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Is on dis ting.

dannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post

JOSEPH BULCOCK
Born in Burnley in 1884, Joe Bulcock was a versatile defender who could operate anywhere along the backline and began his footballing career with the virtually unknown amateur outfit Bryn Central. Joe then moved to Bury before moving to Macclesfield and then Exeter City. Signing for Palace in 1909, Joe went on to turn out in almost 140 games for Palace both in the Southern league and the FA cup over the next five years, before moving on to SWansea Town. He was capped twice by England and died of war wounds on 20th April 1918 in France.
This is a picture of him.

"They will always have this. They will always have those two exquisite moments of silence. No matter what happens against Watford at Wembley, no matter whether they make it to the promised land, the night when the Amex Stadium fell quiet will enter into Crystal Palace folklore, into legend."
Old 16-10-2013, 11:03 PM

Grassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy1807 View Post
If we had records of players from 1905-1918 would make life a little easier of course I doubt we do.

If anyone has information is this player then that would be good if true obviously this is from someone on the Great War forum

I cant remember the player's name, but there was a Palace centre-half in the 20s that used to play with one arm strapped to his torso as a result of wounds received with the Royal West Kents in F&F. (I may have mentioned him previously in this thread). I think he captained Palace as well. Obviously the game has changed enormously in the last 90 years - its less physical but requires greater levels of fitness - but I found it remarkable that this man was still able to play at a high level and of all places, at centre half.
Not sure 'blimey' covers it but.......blimey!
Old 16-10-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
This is a picture of him.

Wow, brilliant stuff Danny! I looked Joe up on the CWGC and frustratingly see he is buried at Bandaghem (great name, up there with Mendinghem & Dozinghem!) which I was at only three weeks ago - if only I'd known!
Old 17-10-2013, 12:02 AM

You may have seen already Danny, but Joe's Service Records are on Ancestry
Old 17-10-2013, 12:58 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:

I'm sure it's John Whibley who had the wobbly arm. If you look up the history section on HOL it looks like his grandaughter has left a message on there.
Old 17-10-2013, 04:29 AM

tony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
It was centre half Phil Bates reports of matches 1919 to 1920-21 note that fact about his arm.
Old 17-10-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony 1947 View Post
It was centre half Phil Bates reports of matches 1919 to 1920-21 note that fact about his arm.
There is a Pension Record for a Philip Bates that lived in Beckenham and joined up in 1914 at Bromley which supports that. The record shows he was discharged in 1916 as 'unfit' as a result of a gunshot wound to his right shoulder that shattered the 'head of the right humerus'. He was in hospital for 4 months.

He was in the Royal West Kent Regiment

Remarkable story in any case.
Old 17-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Is on dis ting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassboy View Post
There is a Pension Record for a Philip Bates that lived in Beckenham and joined up in 1914 at Bromley which supports that. The record shows he was discharged in 1916 as 'unfit' as a result of a gunshot wound to his right shoulder that shattered the 'head of the right humerus'. He was in hospital for 4 months.

He was in the Royal West Kent Regiment

Remarkable story in any case.
was just looking at that.

i'm in Belgium at the end of this month for 4 days so will take a picture of Joe Bulcocks final resting place.
Old 17-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Is on dis ting.

I will also get a picture of Arthur Hooper who was killed he is buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery.
Old 17-10-2013, 09:22 AM

Thanks Danny....I'll probably not be out there now until next spring.

It would be great if we could work towards getting as definitive a list as possible of those that served.
Old 17-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Is on dis ting.

I found that one of Palaces early legends Jack Alderson fought in the First World War whilst on the books at Newcastle we signed him in 1919.

and our first ever England international Harry Colclough also fought.

Last edited by dannyboy1807; 17-10-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 17-10-2013, 09:57 AM

StevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Although the clipping mentions Joe Bulcock's two England caps, they were in Commonwealth internationals, and don't get counted as full caps (they would now of course). Horace Colclough supplanted Joe Bulcock in the Palace team, and did get a full cap.
Old 17-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Is on dis ting.

the Holmesdale Online has some great pictures of players and a little more of an idea who played in that time (Thanks CP Satellite)

Last edited by dannyboy1807; 17-10-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 17-10-2013, 07:07 PM

Ockleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Joe Bulcock wearing his Palace strip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img534.jpg (209.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 28-10-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockleywood View Post
Joe Bulcock wearing his Palace strip
Fantastic - thanks for that!

Danny - assuming you haven't headed out there yet, any chance you can get a copy of that photo laminated and placed by Joe's grave? Would be a nice touch I think?
Old 29-10-2013, 12:20 AM

ian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
I found that one of Palaces early legends Jack Alderson fought in the First World War whilst on the books at Newcastle we signed him in 1919.
According to Nigel Sands' Jack was in the Army and when stationed at Woolwich was spotted by the club and 'guested' for Palace. He made 15 appearances for us in the London Combination League in 1918-19.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Is on dis ting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassboy View Post
Fantastic - thanks for that!

Danny - assuming you haven't headed out there yet, any chance you can get a copy of that photo laminated and placed by Joe's grave? Would be a nice touch I think?
Sorry was already over in Belgium got pictures of Joesph and Arthur will put them up when I can.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Sorry was already over in Belgium got pictures of Joesph and Arthur will put them up when I can.
No worries, hope you had a good trip