Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Is on dis ting.

dannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassboy View Post
No worries, hope you had a good trip
I did was long 50 cemeteries in 4 days 1150 photos to go through should be able to get pictures up tonight I hope.
"They will always have this. They will always have those two exquisite moments of silence. No matter what happens against Watford at Wembley, no matter whether they make it to the promised land, the night when the Amex Stadium fell quiet will enter into Crystal Palace folklore, into legend."
Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Is on dis ting.

dannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
ARTHUR HOOPER:

JOESPH BULCOCK:

"They will always have this. They will always have those two exquisite moments of silence. No matter what happens against Watford at Wembley, no matter whether they make it to the promised land, the night when the Amex Stadium fell quiet will enter into Crystal Palace folklore, into legend."
Old 05-11-2013, 10:47 PM

Grassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy1807 View Post
ARTHUR HOOPER:

JOESPH BULCOCK:

Well done Danny!

Never forgotten.......
Old 06-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Thinking

Bintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Well done dannyboy. Respect.
Old 13-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Is on dis ting.

was reading this article from the weekend and it has a couple of Palace mentions

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Quote:
A German shell dug a crater at Vimy Ridge, dragging solders like Private Frank Taylor of Northampton Town into the hole before the mud launched skyward, fell down and entombed a group of nine or 10. Private Angus Seed of Reading pulled Ratcliff clear. The body of Private John Williams was never found; his two previous teams, Millwall and Crystal Palace, staged a benefit match for his grieving widow and two bereft children.
Old 13-01-2014, 01:22 PM

Grassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fearGrassboy is a gunboat in a sea of fear
Quote:
was reading this article from the weekend and it has a couple of Palace mentions

Thanks for the link. I'm just sorting out some dates for tours in the coming year - any plans to visit yourself?
Old 13-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Is on dis ting.

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I'm just sorting out some dates for tours in the coming year - any plans to visit yourself?
3 so far.

they're trying to get a cricket match going at Passchendaele 16/17 August which they hope to have every year for the next 4 years.

something called the Light Front 8,750 torch-bearers will light up the old front line of November 1914 from Nieuwpoort on the North Sea Coast to Ploegsteert (Plugstreet) near the French border.

and the 3rd is just a visit to probably finish off visiting all the cemeteries in the Ypres Area we have 56 to go from 176 we will probably re-visit some from my first time over their I was only 16 and didn't know as much as I do now.

Will probably go to the Somme as well Thiepval, Vimy Ridge, Ulster Tower, Newfoundland Memorial Park, Deville Wood etc etc.

When are you thinking of going?

Last edited by dannyboy1807; 13-01-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 13-01-2014, 06:31 PM

I'm waiting to hear back from my B&B of choice on The Somme because that kinda drives the trip. Hoping to go first weekend in April, middle of June, and also mid September. Possibly one other at some point though it might just be a one day dash to Ypres..... I try to do 4 day/3 night trips if guiding people that haven't been before, 1 night in Ypres, 2 on The Somme as I find it works well....though I always want to stay another day or 5 on The Somme!

I'm going to have to work out how many Salient Cemeteries I have been to now......
Old 15-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Is on dis ting.

I get a feeling the middle of June is going to be very packed with school trips so maybe best to avoid the main areas or go early morning.

i'm kind off looking forward to bigger crowds at cemeteries sometimes I feel very alone (even though I normally 2 others with me) I think it will be nice having other people visit.

I plan on going to the new Messine Ridge and Ploegstreet museums as well this year.
Old 15-01-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I get a feeling the middle of June is going to be very packed with school trips so maybe best to avoid the main areas or go early morning.

I'm kind off looking forward to bigger crowds at cemeteries sometimes I feel very alone (even though I normally 2 others with me) I think it will be nice having other people visit.

I plan on going to the new Messine Ridge and Ploegstreet museums as well this year.
I'm kinda limited when I can go unfortunately so have to go with the flow sometimes.......you may be right - have always found September pretty quiet. It's quite nice to bump into people where you least expect them though - had a really good chat with a couple of fellows at Maple Copse, below Hill 62, a couple of years ago.......one of my favourite places, along with Ploegsteert Wood Cem.

Anyway, dates all sorted for the B&B on the Somme just need to book accommodation in Ypres now - the June weekend is a nightmare as there is a cycle race or something on (picked same weekend as last year it appears - should learn!) so doing Sat/Sun Somme, Monday Ypres.....

Will also be going with the School in October - so that's 4 so far!
Old 15-01-2014, 04:22 PM

Is the Messine Museum open yet - might try that one in April (though Belgium seems mainly closed until the middle of that month). I need to pop into the visitor centre at Lijssenthoek as well, have you tried that one yet?
Old 19-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Is on dis ting.

I think it's open I think it will be by the time you go over Messines is a nice place anyway Irish peace tower is there and messine ridge cemetery has a really nice New Zealand memorial.

Yeah I've been to lijssentheok lots of times really nice museum and that's where Arthur Hooper is buried. Along with A Major General the only one buried in Belgium and the highest ranking Canadian to ever be killed in battle.

Never been to Ploegstreet wood cemetery that's one I need to do.

July 9th the Tour de France goes through Ypres might try and see that.

Last edited by dannyboy1807; 19-01-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 19-01-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I think it's open I think it will be by the time you go over Messines is a nice place anyway Irish peace tower is there and messine ridge cemetery has a really nice New Zealand memorial.

Yeah I've been to lijssentheok lots of times really nice museum and that's where Arthur Hooper is buried. Along with A Major General the only one buried in Belgium and the highest ranking Canadian to ever be killed in battle.

Never been to Ploegstreet wood cemetery that's one I need to do.

July 9th the Tour de France goes through Ypres might try and see that.
Cheers for that - I have been to Lijssenthoek, but not since the visitor Centre opened but will be there in April I think.

Ploegsteert Wood is one of three Cemeteries actually in the Wood itself but word of advice don't try and park by the track into the wood because it's quite tight and you run the risk of pissing off the local farmer Best bet is to park by Prowse Point Cemetery and walk down past Mud Corner Cemetery and then into the wood (there you go, that's five off your list!). And allow plenty of time as the last cemetery in the wood, Rifle House is fair way in, good half hour, there and back, in total.
Old 19-01-2014, 09:41 PM

Tony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Interesting read... in case you guys didn't notice, check the comment from a German reader who mentions that a number of English players and coaches were interned in Germany. Among them, John Brearley who played for Palace between 1907 and 1909.
Old 20-01-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Interesting read... in case you guys didn't notice, check the comment from a German reader who mentions that a number of English players and coaches were interned in Germany. Among them, John Brearley who played for Palace between 1907 and 1909.
Hadn't seen that - cheers Tony
Old 20-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Is on dis ting.

Quote:
Cheers for that - I have been to Lijssenthoek, but not since the visitor Centre opened but will be there in April I think.

Ploegsteert Wood is one of three Cemeteries actually in the Wood itself but word of advice don't try and park by the track into the wood because it's quite tight and you run the risk of pissing off the local farmer Best bet is to park by Prowse Point Cemetery and walk down past Mud Corner Cemetery and then into the wood (there you go, that's five off your list!). And allow plenty of time as the last cemetery in the wood, Rifle House is fair way in, good half hour, there and back, in total.
it is a nice museum you can listen on the walls stories from people who were worked or were treated at the clearing station.

Thanks i'll make sure to take some wellies with me it's the last big section of the Salient I have left to do, the only cemeteries i've done are the ones by the memorial, Berks and Hyde Park, Strand cemetery and Underhill cemetery.

So I need to do.

Prowse Point
Mud Corner
Toronto Avenue
Rifle House
Ploegstreet Wood
Lancashire Cottage
basically the entire front line.

also their are 8 below Lancashire Cottage and finally the 2 at Bethleem.
Old 20-01-2014, 01:25 PM

Yeah done some of those, think Calvaire is down there?

I have had to book the weekend of April 12 which means missing a game (but both my lads get to go) so will try and pick up a few Palace players on that trip - still need that nailed on definitive list.....
Old 20-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Is on dis ting.

Quote:
Yeah done some of those, think Calvaire is down there?

I have had to book the weekend of April 12 which means missing a game (but both my lads get to go) so will try and pick up a few Palace players on that trip - still need that nailed on definitive list.....

yeah Calvaire is down there next to Gunners Farm.

This Palace list is difficult i'm trying. The player database on the Holmesdale is helping a lot but names of players are quite common in some instances so it's a bit harder.
Old 20-01-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
yeah Calvaire is down there next to Gunners Farm.

This Palace list is difficult i'm trying. The player database on the Holmesdale is helping a lot but names of players are quite common in some instances so it's a bit harder.
I've got quite a lot on WW1 wise so shouldn't really volunteer any more but......if you need a hand or even just a second opinion on a few people be glad to help

Just don't tell the wife (or work!!).
Old 20-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Is on dis ting.

the main one for me is Harry Collyer he left Palace to go to war I think he might have died in the war.