Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 18-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Probationary User

Chooper83 is playing for a contract
Hopefully you'll be able to follow the link below to where we're storing everything online about AHH. You might have to create a profile on Ancestry to see it, but you can do that for free. If it works and you can see it then you'll notice that we've conjectured that Arthur was 'married' to my great grandmother, Annie Bell. But we have no proof at all of that so I suspect it's incorrect and you can just ignore than link.

trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/10800408/person/24217377762
Old 18-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Probationary User

Chooper83 is playing for a contract
I'm afraid the forum wouldn't let me post the full link, so I had to trick it a bit, but its just the usual http :// at the start
Old 18-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Thinking

Bintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Thanks looking at the records now. Will see how it all fits together. Really appreciate your efforts on helping.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:35 PM

plumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Some rare footage of the Battalion.

Wonder who were Mr Short and Mr Tall ?.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 21-09-2015, 04:18 PM

plumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I hope nobody minds me posting this cutting here,rather than on the cuttings thread but in my opinion here seems more fitting.

I've transcribed the article below the cutting as it's not the clearest but a very humbling piece and well worth a read.

The Yorkshire Evening Post Monday April 24th 1916

A remarkable letter has been recieved by Mr E.F.Goodman,secretary-manager of the Crystal Palace F.C. from Private F.A.Simonds.

Writing from the General Hospital,Denmark Hill he says :-" A line to let you know that a party of ours went to your match on Saturday. In the party there happened to be a dumb man and in the excitement of the moment he recovered his speech."

The soldier is Private George Newman of the 8th East Yorkshire Regiment.

"I was advised to come to the Palace and Orient match by a number of my friends ",he said "and so I determined to try my luck at Herne Hill. For the greater part of the game I was making vain efforts to speak just as when a man tries to shout out in a dream. But the cure did not come until in a very exciting moment the Palace scored their winning goal. Then I heard myself calling out and since then I have been talking just as easily as in the old days."

"I lost my speech last February after we had taken a crater at St Eloi. The noise of the guns and the ringing of the shells made me suddenly unconcious and I couldn't remember the incident again for quite a long period. I must tell you that we have brought another dumb soldier to-day on the off chance of the football match doing him some good."

Newman is a South Shields boy of 20 summers.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumey1969 View Post
Some rare footage of the Battalion.

Wonder who were Mr Short and Mr Tall ?.

That soldier in full uniform near the end looks like Roy Hudd.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:15 AM
Is on dis ting.

dannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bintang View Post
You are going to be hard pressed to make a definitive list of CPFC players that died in WW1.

If you look here, the Bradford City guys are sure that Harry Hanger who we signed from them did not die in WW1. They say our records are wrong.

so after a little bit of re-research and mainly thanks to the book the Greater game.

Harry (Harold) Hanger joined the war in 1914 and was killed on the 23rd March 1918 he served with the 5th Battalion Royal Irish Lancers

"They will always have this. They will always have those two exquisite moments of silence. No matter what happens against Watford at Wembley, no matter whether they make it to the promised land, the night when the Amex Stadium fell quiet will enter into Crystal Palace folklore, into legend."
Old 04-01-2018, 01:27 PM
Thinking

Bintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Just seen the above post.

The Harry Hanger who was killed in action on 23/03/1918 was born in Market Harborough, Leicestershire. From his Service Number he enlisted late 1906 or early 1907. He was a career soldier.

Our Harry Hanger was born in Kettering, Northamptonshire and joined the 14th London Regiment in 1915. His place of birth was confirmed in the 1911 census when he was a Boarder living in Woodland Hill Upper Norwood. Another Boarder at the same house was George Garrratt. Both were listed as Professional Footballers.

They are not the same Harry Hanger.