Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 07-12-2017, 06:57 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
The frequency of these fires there now - global warming? - might make you want to rethink that.

We are on red watch here in Chile for this summer following a pretty horrific fire season last January and February. The worst thing is they are started deliberately here - either by bored teenagers, crazies, disaffected indians, or most likely the 4 owning families of large forestation tracks of land. There is a nice little secret subsidy deal for replanting that comes up once in a while.

Doesnt matter that people were burnt out of their homes as the government will stump up fotr that. An exclusive group of people getting even richer on the back of others misery - the worst part of the Chilean trickle down miracle. Like the UK but even more extreme.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:42 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Hope the fires don't affect you too much Hedgehog. Just got back from Sacramento this week. I know you're a few miles south from there, but what a beautiful part of the world. Just to feel some heat from the sun in December was lovely. Don't think the fires will stretch that far up though - will they?

Totally different way of life there. My daughter loves a playground so went everyday, and just noticed the kids there seem to have a much more relaxed and better standard of life than they do in UK.

They love their Christmas over there don't they? Loads of different celebrations already. On December 1st in the evening, a whole group of locals rode past on bikes adorned in Christmassy garb saying 'Happy Christmas' to everyone. Also some streets go to absolute town with their Christmas lights - jaw dropping decorations some of them.

Certainly a place me and the Mrs thought we could settle down in one day.
First off Bubbs, I hope your trip was worthwhile and UC Davis can help your daughter.

Answer a few of your questions, yes they have fires around the Sacramento area, there are some there now, but you are correct, the current Los Angeles County fires (especially the one in Ventura) should not get up there... God I hope not, we are in big trouble if it was to.

I did some work in Sacramento about 15 years ago working out side and it was bloody freezing (Literally). I don't recall what time of year it was, but it was cold (maybe I'm a softy Southern Californian now where 60F is bloody cold?).

Not sure about the whole Christmas thing really. My first year here 36 years ago, Christmas seemed to come and go. Maybe because I was Johnny no mates that year and living in an apartment complex. I remember playing tennis on Christmas Eve and not wearing a shirt... it didn't really help with the Christmas spirit. Now I live in suburbia, people overdo the lights, and we have neighborhood competitions for the best lights, which can get pretty competitive. I guess I sort of assumed it was the same in England.

Next time you come, I hope it is for a more pleasant reason, and you get to see more of the state.... it is a big place with many different landscapes and lifestyles.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:50 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
And I am a firm believer in Global Warming, but at least here these fires are not a new phenomenon. It is an annual event.

They have sent in the converted to a water/Fire Retardant dropping Boeing 747... it is an incredible sight - flying low and being maneuvered around unlike anything you would expect a 747 could or should be.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:57 AM
The Spiky One

Video (from a previous fire)

Old 08-12-2017, 05:36 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Cheers Hedgehog...trip was most definitely worthwhile for my daughter, and their knowledge, understanding and strategies towards her condition puts our medics to shame over here in the UK. really. Fingers firmly crossed now that their treatment plan is successful.

Re. the weather...I can see what you mean about it feeling cold compared to further south I can imagine; there was a nip in the air, but bare in mind we've come straight from a harsh Scottish winter, so that sun's heat felt like we were in the Sahara by comparison.

I hired a big old motor while out there as we never travel light with the little-un. Have to say it took me a couple of days to get used to the left hand drive on the right side of the road in a car that width. Nearly wrote the car off on more than one occasion Landed in San Francisco at about 3pm after an arduous 11hr flight with no sleep, then had to drive in the rush hour traffic to Sacramento. Kept veering off to the right hand lane on the freeway as the left hand drive totally threw my spacial awareness off.

Was weird on Saturday sitting there at 7am watching the Palace on the iPad - a glimpse into your world. Have to say I enjoyed the fact that after watching the game I had the whole day ahead of me.

Hope the fires subside for you guys, must be a worrying time for you all and thanks again for the advice beforehand and good wishes.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Bubbs, the trick to driving in the left side of the car and right side of the road is not to think too much about it and just to follow the car in front.
I struggle in the UK now. Was in London last week driving and had to keep remembering my above mentioned rule.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:25 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Palace View Post
I struggle in the UK now. Was in London last week driving and had to keep remembering my above mentioned rule.
The whole not overtaking on the inside thing gets me confused in England now.

I just do it naturally without thinking here, but not sure how to handle it in The UK. At what point in slow moving traffic in lanes does it become wrong to do it?

This plus doing a left turn on a red signal.

And yes, following the car in front is the secret, which screws me up on narrow country lanes and a car is coming towards me!
Old 08-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
I'm not sure it is legal here (overtaking on the inside) but I do it. Generally because of slow moving gits in the outside lane.
We do have turning right on red here which is obviously the most sensible thing ever and probably the best export from the US that there ever was.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:42 AM
The Spiky One

Waiting at a red light in The UK to do a left turn, I fully expect someone behind me to start honking because I'm not turning like they do here when turning right at a red light.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:28 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Found the traffic light system much better in States. Never felt I had to wait on red as long as you do in UK and seemed to make traffic flow better. The whole being able to turn on a red light freaked me out a bit, but by end of the week I was well into it.

Away from driving, and just talking about people in general; your average American is a lot more forthright I found, which was quite refreshing. Whereas in Britain if a stranger talked to you like that it would seem rude. We tend to be almost apologetic when asking people for something or to do something, but over there I found people were much more in your face. Have to say, I preferred it.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:47 AM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Away from driving, and just talking about people in general; your average American is a lot more forthright I found, which was quite refreshing. Whereas in Britain if a stranger talked to you like that it would seem rude. We tend to be almost apologetic when asking people for something or to do something, but over there I found people were much more in your face. Have to say, I preferred it.
I had the same views when I first moved to the US 36 years ago. Until then my impression of an American was a guy in plaid pants (trousers) and a Nikon camera around their neck smoking a cigar.

I was amazed at the acceptance and friendliness when I first got here (especially from the ladies! ).

Having said that, I think you would find downtown LA a little different to Sacramento.
Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Fire update?