Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 27-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
Just spotted "We delve into the Match of the Day archives to revisit highlights of the 1980/81 First Division clash between Crystal Palace and Everton at Selhurst Park." On BT Sport 2 on 29 Dec 2017 at 3:00pm.
I remember that we lost this 3-2 and one of our goals was the subject of What Happened Next on Question of Sport where the shot hit one post and then rolled along the line before hitting the other post, coming back into play and I think it may have been Vince stabbing it home.
Dreadful, dreadful season. Dwindling crowds, the Whitehorse reduced to a few steps and the Holmesdale was reduced in capacity and split into 3. I remember going to each game first assuming and then hoping that that would be that game that we turned it around. Completely gave up hope by the time we signed Bason, Langley and Price. Bizarrely we won the next game home to Birmingham City 3-1 in front of less than 10,000. Less than a year before we were drawing 0-0 again the champions-elect Liverpool in front of over 40,000. What a turnaround.
You've captured the awfulness of that season very well.

They were depressing times
Old 29-12-2017, 06:32 PM

cantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcantspell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Just spotted "We delve into the Match of the Day archives to revisit highlights of the 1980/81 First Division clash between Crystal Palace and Everton at Selhurst Park." On BT Sport 2 on 29 Dec 2017 at 3:00pm.
I remember that we lost this 3-2 and one of our goals was the subject of What Happened Next on Question of Sport where the shot hit one post and then rolled along the line before hitting the other post, coming back into play and I think it may have been Vince stabbing it home.
Dreadful, dreadful season. Dwindling crowds, the Whitehorse reduced to a few steps and the Holmesdale was reduced in capacity and split into 3. I remember going to each game first assuming and then hoping that that would be that game that we turned it around. Completely gave up hope by the time we signed Bason, Langley and Price. Bizarrely we won the next game home to Birmingham City 3-1 in front of less than 10,000. Less than a year before we were drawing 0-0 again the champions-elect Liverpool in front of over 40,000. What a turnaround.

Very well written - couldn’t believe what had happened to the ground when I went there that season. Absolutely destroyed a beautiful end and the Holmesdale with feences - players you named were awful.

When people moan about our recent seasons you only need to look back to those times to feel so much better
Old 29-12-2017, 06:34 PM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
Very well written - couldn’t believe what had happened to the ground when I went there that season. Absolutely destroyed a beautiful end and the Holmesdale with feences - players you named were awful.

When people moan about our recent seasons you only need to look back to those times to feel so much better
Ive been trying to forget that season
Old 29-12-2017, 06:51 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post

Yeah it was the worst of times.
I was still at school down South Norwood Hill then and took too much abuse.
I'm sure the joke going around was about the difference between us and a triangle - a triangle's got 3 points - in the days when a win meant 2 points!

Our position compared to those days feels like Champions League stuff!
Old 29-12-2017, 11:27 PM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is here
Quote:
Completely gave up hope by the time we signed Bason, Langley and Price. Bizarrely we won the next game home to Birmingham City 3-1 in front of less than 10,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
Yeah it was the worst of times.
They might have seemed like the "worst of times" at the time, but in fact they were about to get a whole lot worse over the next few years.

We were indeed bitterly disappointed by Bason, Langley and Price, but they were soon to be replaced by the silky skills of McCulloch, Edwards and Stebbing, to say nothing of the defensive prowess of Lacy, who had a turning circle roughly equivalent to that of the QE2.

Plus, we were actually to hanker after those days when we could get anywhere near 10,000 through the gate. Attendances of around half this figure became the norm.
Old 13-01-2018, 09:32 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here

Don Rogers wins goal of the season 1973
Old 13-01-2018, 03:58 PM

Purepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post

Fantastic!
Old 13-01-2018, 04:03 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purepalace View Post
Fantastic!
Some of the other goals you see practically every week these days!
Old 14-01-2018, 12:52 AM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is here
It's easy to forget - until you see footage like that- how awful the condition of the Selhurst Park pitch often was
Old 14-01-2018, 01:22 AM
Laths

laths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlaths came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hart View Post
It's easy to forget - until you see footage like that- how awful the condition of the Selhurst Park pitch often was
That’s why we had Len Chatterton and the Flatterer .
Old 14-01-2018, 02:28 AM

Paulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaulinmorden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Trouble is that season was the start of 4 years when I had the time and money to go to nearly all the games home and away. Think I only missed about 6 or 7 but has there been a 4 year period when we scored less goals or accumulated less points?
Old 14-01-2018, 03:22 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
I'm not sure it was unique to Selhurst Park.
Old 14-01-2018, 04:08 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinmorden View Post
Trouble is that season was the start of 4 years when I had the time and money to go to nearly all the games home and away. Think I only missed about 6 or 7 but has there been a 4 year period when we scored less goals or accumulated less points?
80 through 84 was also the period I went most to Palace. It is a dream in comparison these days
Old 14-01-2018, 05:32 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post

A shame/sad that about half the people in this clip have passed on now.
Old 15-01-2018, 12:30 AM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
A shame/sad that about half the people in this clip have passed on now.
Very good point.

Although, it's easy to forget that 45 years have passed since then
Old 15-01-2018, 08:17 AM

Polak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
BT Sport 2 19 Jan 2018 7:00am

A look back at some classic editions of The Big Match. This episode, from 3rd October 1976, features Brighton v Crystal Palace, Leeds v Manchester United and Southampton v Fulham.

I think that this has been on recently.
Old 15-01-2018, 08:49 AM

Polak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Although, it's easy to forget that 45 years have passed since then
Blimey. Cheers for reminding me.

I was a youngster in the Arthur that day, then called the New Stand. they used to have the camera in the first few rows of terrace on the half way line in those days as opposed to in front of advertising hoardings as in the camera that Wilf collided with on Saturday. I could watch the small black and white screen which the cameraman used as well as watching the match. It was a fantastic goal. I remember Don Rogers running at the goal like it was yesterday.
Old 16-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
For some reason they are showing CP v Everton (1980/81) on BT Sport 2 tonight at 930pm
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 22-01-2018, 07:58 AM

23 Jan 2018 at 3:00pm on BT Sport 1

"We revisit the gripping 1971 FA Cup third round tie between Crystal Palace and Chelsea at Selhurst Park. Some players opted for basketball trainers to survive the frozen pitch."
Old 22-01-2018, 08:03 AM

25 Jan 2018 at 2:45pm on BT Sport 1

If anyone's interested:

"We revisit the 1995 FA Cup semi-final replay between Man Utd and Crystal Palace. Tensions were running high following Eric Cantona's infamous kung-fu kick in January of that year."

A bit of an understatement there. Dreadful match with no-one from Palace really interested for obvious reasons.