Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 14-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Palace/Panionios

waddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is here
Old 14-07-2009, 08:22 AM

jhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista
There is, and will only ever be, one prog band.
They are called YES.
How anyone can even think about recording a 'progressive' album after listening to 'Relayer' is beyond me.....
I thought Relayer was their weakest album but I know a lot of people think it's one of their best.
I see they're doing Hammersmith later in the year but without Rick Wakeman and Jon Anderson. Risky to say the least. I remember the last time they tried touring without JA and they got a real hard time at Lewisham Odeon when Trevor Horn tried to replace him. One tour and that experiment was over!

BTW, I think there have been plenty of classic progressive albums since Relayer.
Old 14-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Palace/Panionios

waddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc
I thought Relayer was their weakest album but I know a lot of people think it's one of their best.
I see they're doing Hammersmith later in the year but without Rick Wakeman and Jon Anderson. Risky to say the least. I remember the last time they tried touring without JA and they got a real hard time at Lewisham Odeon when Trevor Horn tried to replace him. One tour and that experiment was over!

BTW, I think there have been plenty of classic progressive albums since Relayer.
I am a 80's man
Old 14-07-2009, 12:48 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc

Why would a fusion of Yes and Buggles end in anything other than tears?

They currently have a Canadian tribute band singer and Wakeman's son on keyboards. Reports are mixed, but I think if you into them, then it's probably still worth the ticket.
Hammersmith Apollo in November, I think.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Relayer. It's the album where they took it to the limit. It's harder than just about anything else they did in their prime, and my parents hated it, which is brownie points in my book.
In fact, the only other albums I've owned that the parents couldn't live with were Metal Machine Music, No Pussyfooting, and Never Mind..... - so Relayer's in good company.....
Old 14-07-2009, 04:23 PM

jhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Going for the One, The Yes Album, Close to the Edge & 90125 were my favs, but I've got a love of Topographic Oceans too, even though it was hated by many. In truth most of the others have their moments.
You're right, a ticket to Hammersmith in November is still probably worth while, especially as this could be one of their last UK tours.
Old 14-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Palace/Panionios

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc
Going for the One, The Yes Album, Close to the Edge & 90125 were my favs, but I've got a love of Topographic Oceans too, even though it was hated by many. In truth most of the others have their moments.
You're right, a ticket to Hammersmith in November is still probably worth while, especially as this could be one of their last UK tours.

It's more a tribute band though, the only 70's band i have got into was Genesis

Oliver Wakeman band is very good.
Old 14-07-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddoneagle
It's more a tribute band though, the only 70's band i have got into was Genesis

Oliver Wakeman band is very good.
You probably haven't missed that much really.
Genesis, ELP, Yes, Floyd, Crimson, Greenslade, Rush, Split Enz & Saga all hit their prog peak in the 70's and were the best bands of the genre at that time IMO, but of course many of them became bigger in the 80's with sounds that many would regard as being more classic rock than prog.
It's hard to top 'Selling England....' that's for sure.

I can't argue that the 80's saw some great new bands though, and they all seem to have been influenced by those trailblazers from the 70's.
Even todays prog seems to be heavily influenced by those great bands from the past.
Old 17-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Palace/Panionios

Quote:

Our first alldayer

Subject: MATT FEST BAND PLAYING TIMES SATURDAY 29th AUGUST Please note because we have added more superb artists doors are at 1.00pm. STAGE TIMES John Young1330 - 1415 Primitive Instict 1430 - 1515 Summer Indoors 1530 - 1630 Final Conflict 1645 - 1800 Casual/Credo 1815 - 1930 Haze 1945 - 2100 Break (30 mins) Galahad 2130 -23-00 On sale now phone 020 8546 3516, for a great day of brilliant music!!--------------------

12 Advance, 15 Door
Old 03-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Palace/Panionios

I miss the first game of the season as i am here,
Old 03-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChillo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista
They currently have a Canadian tribute band singer and Wakeman's son on keyboards. Reports are mixed, but I think if you into them, then it's probably still worth the ticket.
I saw them in Toronto in November on the second night of their Canadian tour - it was a bit rough, but I was glad I went and will be planning to go in November.

They did seem to really be Chris Squire's band, though, with all looking to him for the lead.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Palace/Panionios

My weekend,
Friday 7th
Get together night at "The Sausage". This is for early arrivals for the weekend's activities and is not an "official event". Entrance is for laminate holders only and entertainment on the night is provided by "Jump". As the pub has a restricted capacity of just over 400 anyone attending should check in early to avoid disappointment.

Saturday 8th
1pm: Doors open - film footage and videos
2pm: Fish talk - introduction to convention, general discussions and Q&A
3pm: Mark Wilkinson - Q&A and fashion show
3.45pm: Grendel competition - "Warrior For A Day"
4pm: Short acoustic set with Mickey Simmonds & Frank Usher plus company!
5pm: Venue closes for sound checks
7pm: Venue re-opens
7.30 - 8.40pm: Pendragon
9pm: Fish on stage

Sunday 9th
11.15am - 12.45pm: "Hunt the Penguin" competition begins from outside the Assembly Rooms. Maximum 4 persons per team. There will be prizes for 1) the fastest team to complete the course, 2) the team with most correct quiz answers and 3) the best dressed team (fancy dress)
1pm: Doors open - film footage and rare clips on screen - autograph session
2pm: Fish intro 2nd day
3pm: "Never Mind The FishHeads" comedy quiz hosted by Will Smith
4.30pm: Raffle winners announced
5pm: Venue closes for soundchecks
7pm: Venue opens
7.30 - 8.30pm: The Reasoning
9pm: Fish on stage
Midnight: Curfew (for ticket holders)
After show party in venue/backstage bar (for laminate holders)

All weekend: Charity raffle, Grendel mask photo opportunity
Old 12-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Palace/Panionios

Great three days at the Fish convention, Great venue, i will be back there to see Pendragon on the 12th December
Old 13-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Palace/Panionios

Not Prog but a great singer/writer, Jo McCafferty

New Album out soon,
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Old 14-08-2009, 01:20 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
This stage set brings back memories. 15, at the fox club in The Greyhound for the first time.

Old 14-08-2009, 04:54 PM

I remember seeing them at the Greyhound a couple of times - Great band!
Old 14-08-2009, 06:15 PM
The Bringer of Joy

By the looks of the stage - it's height and depth, that picture looks like it could have been taken at the Greyhound.....
Old 24-08-2009, 07:57 AM
Palace/Panionios

Quote:
Subject: MATT FEST BAND PLAYING TIMES SATURDAY 29th AUGUST Please note because we have added more superb artists doors are at 1.00pm. STAGE TIMES John Young1330 - 1415 Primitive Instict 1430 - 1515 Summer Indoors 1530 - 1630 Final Conflict 1645 - 1800 Casual/Credo 1815 - 1930 Haze 1945 - 2100 Break (30 mins) Galahad 2130 -23-00 On sale now phone 020 8546 3516, for a great day of brilliant music!!--------------------

12 Advance, 15 Door
This Saturday

Old 29-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Palace/Panionios

Quote:

12 Advance, 15 Door

Old 13-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Palace/Panionios

Old 20-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Palace/Panionios