Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 28-05-2009, 09:33 AM
snootchie bootchies

paf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tat
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Melody
paf - how is the battery on your phone. I am getting fed up with the shit battery life on my iPhone.
Dont know, not let it run out. But it's all dependant on how much background activity and services you have running. I installed an app that turns off all the gubbins that runs in the background that I aint using, and switch off GPS.

I reckon you'd get a couple of days that way, longer if you reduce the polling on things like email, twitter etc.
Old 28-05-2009, 01:14 PM

gingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by paf
Dont know, not let it run out. But it's all dependant on how much background activity and services you have running. I installed an app that turns off all the gubbins that runs in the background that I aint using, and switch off GPS.

I reckon you'd get a couple of days that way, longer if you reduce the polling on things like email, twitter etc.
Paf what is the app called for turing the background gubbins off?
thank you
Old 28-05-2009, 01:40 PM
snootchie bootchies

paf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tatpaf has been there, done that, given every tit-for-tat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerob
Paf what is the app called for turing the background gubbins off?
thank you
advanced task manager lite.

also blutooth toggler good, one touch on and off.
Old 28-05-2009, 08:13 PM
snootchie bootchies

some er good news, HTC Hero with standard headphone socket and will be using the new donut 2.0 OS.

bad news, it's a hideous chud and exclusive to Orange. Note the little trackball found on the magic, aint there, not used often, but it is if you need to edit any fiddly text.

Old 29-05-2009, 07:04 AM

mrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by paf
first FAIL = Vodafone have removed voice dialling app, so no voice dialling via cars built in bluetooth.

Need genius to make app, or hack and say names in American accent.

I've 'rooted' mine, loaded the modded 'SPL' then flashed it with a custom firmware from XDA site and the voice dialer app is there.

Rooting Instructions/SPL:
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Link to New OS with voice dial:

All pretty straight forward, takes longer to download files than to do the job.
Old 29-05-2009, 07:14 AM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRDSdaEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRDSdaEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRDSdaEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRDSdaEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRDSdaEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRDSdaEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRDSdaEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRDSdaEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRDSdaEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRDSdaEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Apparently T-Mobile will have a new Android phone out in the next month or two - based on the HTC Magic but with a 5mp camera and a few other gubbins.

I've still not got an iPhone, so I'm looking at both keenly now - I'll see what the iPhone 3.0 offers and will make a judgement then.
Old 29-05-2009, 07:53 AM
snootchie bootchies

Nice work, will try later, vodafone can get bent.
Old 29-05-2009, 10:02 AM

mrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemrsilly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
You gotta check out google sky map, it's quite remarkable.
Old 29-05-2009, 01:23 PM
snootchie bootchies

I gave up whenthe rooting insrtuctions stopped making sense. Are there better ones, copying files to directories to rename them and then move them to another directory, makes no sense, and nor does the fastboot stuff.
Old 29-05-2009, 01:28 PM

Cake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I got a Dream (G1) today second hand from eBay (120 squid) and love it - its an awesome little phone - albeit a little chunky.

Comparable to Jesus phone imho and a little less "with the crowd"
Old 29-05-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paf
I gave up whenthe rooting insrtuctions stopped making sense. Are there better ones, copying files to directories to rename them and then move them to another directory, makes no sense, and nor does the fastboot stuff.
Here's my edit:

1. Enable USB debugging on the device in settings->applications->development->"USB Debugging"

2. Download the Android SDK To view the link you have to Register or Login, unpack the zip file to making a note of the full path. I used C:\Android

3. Connect phone and when OS requests driver use the one from the SDK Driver Folder (On mine it was C:\Android\usb_driver\x_86).

4. Open up a DOS prompt and "cd" to the tools subdirectory of your SDK folder. (CD C:\Android\Tools)

5. Type the following command at your DOS prompt:

adb devices

You should see your Android phone's serial in the list. If you get an empty list, you need to sort out your USB driver.

6. Download Haykuro's Magic "rootme" rom to the Tools directory (C:\Android\Tools for me):

7. Save the Magic modified recovery:
and unpack it to the Tools directory (C:\Android\Tools for me)

8. Connect the phone with the USB cable and copy the files across by entering these commands in the DOS window opened earlier:

adb push rootme-signed.zip /sdcard/update.zip

adb push recovery-new.img /sdcard/recovery-new.img

9. On your device, enter the bootloader FASTBOOT mode by trying one of the following:

Turn off your device and while it is off hold down back while you press power. (This one worked on mine)

Turn off your device and while it is off hold down volume down while pressing power

10. Type the following commands on your desktop DOS window (not on the device):

fastboot boot recovery-new.img

11. Apply your update, reboot (using HOME+BACK, or via selection), and allow it to boot fully. Upon a complete boot enter the following command on your desktop DOS window (not on the device):

adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-new.img
This does not appear to give any message.

12. To get the hacked SPL (to be able to apply nandroid backups and etc)

13. Copy spl-signed by typing the following into the dos window:

adb push spl-signed.zip /sdcard/update.zip

14. Reboot into recovery mode by powering off, and holding HOME+POWER

15. Scroll to Apply update with wheel and click to start update.

16. Download New Android Version from:

17. Copy htc-sapphire-signed.zip by typing the following into the dos window:

adb push htc-sapphire-signed.zip /sdcard/update.zip

18. Reboot into recovery mode by powering off, and holding HOME+POWER

19. Scroll to Apply update with wheel and click to start the update.

Tell me where you get stuck. You may have to enter recovery mode and wipe after step 19 if you get an error message as i did. There is another place where it may stop with 'Clearing Cache' at the bottom of the screen, give it a minute then reboot.
Old 29-05-2009, 03:44 PM
snootchie bootchies

I got to part 10, it detected my phone fine and I copied across fine. Your instructions going forward make more sense.

will re-attempt.
Old 29-05-2009, 04:44 PM
snootchie bootchies

up to part 17, nearly there, LOL
Old 29-05-2009, 04:55 PM
snootchie bootchies

ummm, android.process.acore has stopped?
Old 29-05-2009, 05:07 PM
snootchie bootchies

phew, fixed. Back to recovery, alt w to reset to factory settings, obviously a conflict with old apps.

v.pretty will give it a test run. All contacts resynced immediately, sweet. keeping everything in the cloud is the way forward.
Old 29-05-2009, 06:18 PM

I had the same error, i couldn't remember the details. This version also has HTC sync program which you can sync with outlook on PC like the winmo activsync program.
Old 30-05-2009, 09:15 AM
snootchie bootchies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsilly
I had the same error, i couldn't remember the details. This version also has HTC sync program which you can sync with outlook on PC like the winmo activsync program.

Seems the pinch on the browser is enabled (tried it, rubbish), although in the code this has always been disabled for copyright/apple hissy fit reasons. Or am I going mad?

Also app store now seems to have more choice.

Mr Silly, any ideas what happens when the Donut OS appears and the phone tries an OTA update, will there be a conflict?

Lastly, voice dialling is rubbish, will try in car, expect it to be even more rubbish.
Old 30-05-2009, 11:44 AM

Voice dial doesn't work for me either.

oto updates will be fine according to xda.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:06 PM

Cake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Loving A2DP on the Dream - really outstanding feature - links perfectly to my Sony headphones and the Linx B-Tube speaker.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 PM
snootchie bootchies

Android should be first to fully integrate with google wave, that should rock.