Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 17-08-2000, 04:52 AM
Unstoppable Oyster

Mr Nicely is playing for a contract
4:3 against Liverpool. What can beat it. At the end of the game time stopped (really) I remember it so well. I looked around me. All was quiet. Everyone was crying. I was crying. And then slowly, like turning the sound back up on the telly I drifted back into real time as the players ran towards us and we sang "we're proud of you" I will never forget that. And the old geezer who was probably older than Palace sobbing his heart out.

I still have the cup final edition of the independent with a picture of John Salako celebrating with the fans and it makes me cry every time I see it
Old 18-08-2000, 05:44 PM
Searching the Holy Grail

selhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murrayselhurstparkflyer FFS Murray
I
Quote:
Originally posted by Glaws Eagle:
I would say it was the Burnley game in 1979.

52,000 odd people crammed into Selhurst, of which about 50 were Sunderland supporters who had come to see us fail.

Talk about tense. It became unbearable when Burnley had a goal disallowed.

But the feeling at the end, knowing we were in the First division, was fantastic.

Then of course, in the following September, the 8th I think ......... "Eagles fly to the Top", courtesy of the 4-1 win over ipswich.
I have to agree with Glaws Eagle
Though memeories were very vague..I was six
I remember the passion..getting to the ground at 5.15 so I could stand at the front.
Having peanuts for my dinner
The old VW Beetle trundling aroung the ground
Not being able to see the game post-swindlehurst goal as the pitch was surrounded with people singing 'We shall not be moved'
The sea of Palace flags and scarves on the Holmesdale and Whitehorse Lane ends.
I have seen great Palace colour a few times but never at Selhurst and never quite as raw and unexpected as that night... maybe its because I was so young but it was f...ing marvellous.
Does anybody have a video of that game- or any part of it
After 21 years I have still never seen the goals or any snippets.
If you can help I would very appreciate it.

------------------
'that's the bit i like': b.moore, c.palace v blackburn june 1989
Old 18-08-2000, 06:46 PM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Somewhere on here James has put up both the goals from that night.
Old 30-10-2002, 12:45 PM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Bump (seeing as David has just asked started a thread to ask the same thing about Dougie's goal at Stockport)
Old 30-10-2002, 12:52 PM
Aki's studs

Parkice is playing for a contract
Quote:
Originally posted by ammiller
Marky's goal agains scouse at villa park after pembo's excellent run.

That aside - who remembers the lap of honour after we won the zds cup?
"When Geoff goes up to get the Zenith cup.... we'll be there.... !!"
Old 30-10-2002, 12:55 PM
leviathan

ozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsozeagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
last night for me

although i have only been here since Jan..

tr.v. an·nexed, an·nex·ing, an·nex·es

To append or attach, especially to a larger or more significant thing.
To incorporate (territory) into an existing political unit such as a country, state, county, or city.
To add or attach, as an attribute, condition, or consequence.
Old 30-10-2002, 04:54 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Palace 5 - Man Ure 0

Palace 2 - Burnley 0

Sunderland 0 - Palace 1 (just shades Chelsea 2 - Palace 3 in the same cup run)

Palace 1 - Sheffield United 0 (the Hoppo goal)

All self explanatory
Old 30-10-2002, 05:19 PM

Justin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Has to be the 4-3, followed by Burnley and the 4-1 against Ipswich. I know this is cheating but really enjoyed Pompey away when we won 4-2 and also silly things like losing 5 -0 and 3-0 away to Liverpool. Sad thing is the best by far is the 4-3 and can remember so little about the actual game apart from staring at the clock in the corner for ages just willing the 90 minutes to be shown - and then letting in two in two minutes and thinking life is just so unfair we are never going to reach a cup final. And to all the youngsters out there -in 1990 winning the Cup was bigger than winning the league!
Old 30-10-2002, 05:24 PM
bloody old fool

RtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipper
April 69 3-2 v Fulham (after being two down at half time) to clinch promotion to the top flight for the first time in our history. Things could only get better. for an impressionable twelve year old!

I also remember 25 November 1984. It was a Sunday morning and we walloped Oldham 3-0.There were less than 5000 of us but I remember leaving the ground thinking that this Coppell fella might just be on to something and being really optimistic about the future. In fact I reckon from about that moment to when we sold Wrighty some seven years later were the longest sustained period of continual improvement ,possibly in the clubs history.

4-3 v scousers, Hoppo v Sheff. Utd, Dougie at Stockport, all three caused unashmed blubbing.
Old 30-10-2002, 05:55 PM

delboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is here
As I'm an old git mine has to be a 4-2 victory at Wrexham! It was quite significant though as it got us promoted from the old Div 3.

We had a good run which took us to the edge of promotion and when we played Wrexham (our last game) it was very tight at the top. They were above us and still had to play Mansfield, who had already won the league, the Saturday after we played them.

The stats were as follows if we won by 1 goal Wrexham only had to draw at home to Mansfield to pip us. If we won by two goals Wrexham had to beat Mansfield.

To make things worse Wrexham had not lost at home and we had a junior goalkeeper as the others were injured or suspended.

So to the game,. We took a two goal lead and everything looked rosey. Then Wrexham pulled one back. Which meant they only had to draw on the Sat. Then they equilized. we were stunned.

But as ever with Palace it ain't over till the fat bird sings. And bugger me 3 mins left and we score. Total elation, could not breath. Hugging total strangers. Most people were still celebrating the 3rd goal when, with less than a minute left Jeff Bourne (i think) hit an over head kick from the edge of the box which looped up in the air and in slow motion dropped over the keepers head into the net.

I was in serious danger of having a heart attack at this point.

On the saturday I listened to the radio waiting for news of Wrexham, Mansfield. Or not, as a 0-0 draw would have done us. Then with 10 mins to go the announcer said ' And we have a score coming in from the Racecourse ground'! Heart in mouth time. It was Wreham 0 Mansfield 1. I jumped so high I banged my head on the ceiling and knocked myself out. When I came to I had missed the results and it was well before teltext. I had to wait to hear the report on the radio which confirmed we had gone up.

That was the start of good times for Palace but it could have been so different.
Old 30-10-2002, 05:59 PM
BBS FA

cpfc4ever is happy as a lark and everything is finecpfc4ever is happy as a lark and everything is finecpfc4ever is happy as a lark and everything is finecpfc4ever is happy as a lark and everything is finecpfc4ever is happy as a lark and everything is finecpfc4ever is happy as a lark and everything is finecpfc4ever is happy as a lark and everything is finecpfc4ever is happy as a lark and everything is finecpfc4ever is happy as a lark and everything is finecpfc4ever is happy as a lark and everything is finecpfc4ever is happy as a lark and everything is fine
when d hopkin scored the best goal ever at wembley to take us up, the celebrations afterwoulds was also v.v.v.v.v good
Old 30-10-2002, 06:08 PM
Uzi Lover

Boyandy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBoyandy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBoyandy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBoyandy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBoyandy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBoyandy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBoyandy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBoyandy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBoyandy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBoyandy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBoyandy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Discounting the above matches which all tended to mean something - one of my favourite Palace memories comes from a match that meant nothing, at least to the Palace fans.

Tony Adams testimonial back before the start of the 1994-95 season was great.

Up to then we'd always had to put up with conceding at least 4 goals whenever we played them, and early on this seemed to run to form. But suddenly everything changed, we equalised and then got another two and we literally started to take the p1ss out of the mighty Gooners. The likes of Bowry, Preece and Wilkins were trying shuffles and tricks that for some reason all seemed to come off, and the fact that it was all in aid of Highbury's hero made it even funnier. All the Gooners on the way home were saying it was down to there being no pressure on us and it would be different in the league match - we won that too!

I really thought we'd have a good season at that point.

Typical Palace!
Old 30-10-2002, 07:43 PM

moverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemoverman : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I clearly remember the Wrexham away game of 1977 that Delboy01 describes so well. The following saturday we had no game as we had played all our fixtures so a load of us went along to watch the reserves who also played at Selhurst ( no tenants in those days ) against Hereford Utd. Palace fielded quite a strong team and won the game 5-0 with Rachid Harkouk getting a hat-trick, but the loudest cheer of the day came when the P A ( John Henty I think ) announced the full time score from the Racecourse . Mansfield Town had beaten Wrexham 1-0 and we were promoted. The 5,000 crowd ran onto the pitch at full time to celebrate as the Hereford boys looked on in disbelief. Is this occasion the only time a promotion winning season has been celebrated at a reserve team fixture?
Old 01-11-2002, 09:26 PM
Quietly confident

Baz To The D dances before me like a million eyesBaz To The D dances before me like a million eyesBaz To The D dances before me like a million eyesBaz To The D dances before me like a million eyesBaz To The D dances before me like a million eyesBaz To The D dances before me like a million eyesBaz To The D dances before me like a million eyesBaz To The D dances before me like a million eyesBaz To The D dances before me like a million eyesBaz To The D dances before me like a million eyesBaz To The D dances before me like a million eyes
Seeing us win the ZDS trophy and finishing third in the league

Hoppo's play off winner 97

Beating Derby 3-1 in 97/98 for our first home win of the season.The atmosphere that day was very special and emotional!

The last few year's trips to Norwich. Always something special.

Singing our hearts out at 5-0 down against Liverpool at Anfield in Worthington cup.

Doug's goal at Stockport-possibly the best of these moments for me. Whenever I wonder to myself whether Palace is really that important to me I simply think back to that wonderful, wonderful day!
Old 01-11-2002, 10:50 PM
old git

pallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is here
Just reading this thread reminds me why Palace means so much to me, so many great times , so many ups and downs.
All of the games mentioned already but also for me
Palace v Blackburn. It was the first game of the season, they had just come up and had some bloke called Shearer upfront who we nearly signed. Anyway the sun was shining, the ground was 3/4 full with both setso f supporters in good voice.Shearer scored a thirty yard screamer and we were losing 3-2 until the last few minutes when Jolly popped up with a bullet header into the top corner. Add this to Villa Park, Wembley, Stockport, its what Palace is all about.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:56 PM
Penguin Liberation Front

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
The best single moment must have been at Wembley and being directly in ahead of the line of flight of Hopkin's goal against Sheffield United and seeing it curl into the top corner.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:17 PM
West Coast Eagle

Snorwood Eagle has got sunshine in a bagSnorwood Eagle has got sunshine in a bagSnorwood Eagle has got sunshine in a bagSnorwood Eagle has got sunshine in a bagSnorwood Eagle has got sunshine in a bagSnorwood Eagle has got sunshine in a bagSnorwood Eagle has got sunshine in a bagSnorwood Eagle has got sunshine in a bagSnorwood Eagle has got sunshine in a bagSnorwood Eagle has got sunshine in a bagSnorwood Eagle has got sunshine in a bag
I think John Pemberton's run that led to the Palace equaliser in 'that game' is one of my highlights. It epitomised what Palace were about back then - so determined, passionate and committed. I think after that goal went in, we all believed we could do it...the rest, as they say, is history.

Beyond that, the final game of the season (99/00?), up at Tranmere when Stevie Coppell threw his jacket into the crowd, and there were thousands of us up there to celebrate staying up - that feeling of unity with the players was amazing!

Then there is Dougie's legendary winner at Stockport - the stuff dreams are made of. You couldn't have written a script for that goal. In fact, I'm so glad I went to Portsmouth in the midweek before with some blind hope that we could save ourselves. That 4/5 day period was special.

There are just so many Palace moments, the list goes on and on....
Old 02-11-2002, 12:32 AM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
No doubt like many of you I have spent ages trying to decide what was my best ever Palace moment. Was it 5 -0 against Man United, 5-1 against Sheffield United, Wrexham in 77, Burnley in 79, going top having tonked Ipswich at home, beating Chelsea in the cup with THAT drowning goal, the Blackburn second leg playoff final at Selhurst, Villa Park, Wembley, the ZDS final, Hopkins curling one, Lombardo wearing the shirt with pride, Everton away, finally winning at home against Derby, the unbelievable atomsphere at Selhurst when United finally relegated us, they just go on and on.

But for me it could only be the Blackburn Rovers victory to ensure our 1st Division survival. Not the game itself, not Matt's subdued goal celebrations, nor our unbelievable comeback. It was when it was all over and our team did their lap of 'honour'. At the back was a certain Steve Coppell, following behind in his own unassuming way. He had achieved the impossible. A bunch of kids had been gelled into something we could all reach out and touch in a way that you will probably never see again in football. They had played through being unpaid and uncertain about their future. In fact they had performed above and beyond the call of duty and they were ours. Everyone at Norwich that day when a bunch of kids were inspired to victory by Austin will understand what I am trying to say. And after we had beaten Blackburn and the team perambulated around Selhurst Park, we all - and I mean all, from Block B of the Holmesdale, through the Stephenson, the Players, the Whitehorse, even the sodding Directors Box - rose as one and sang "ONE STEVIE COPPELL, THERES ONLY ONE STEVIE COPPELL" so loudly that the ground seemed to shake.

I couldn't join in because of the lump in my throat and the tears flooding forth with pride at what he had done for us. I stood there, 40 years old, and unable to even talk because of the overwhelming emotion and pride I felt for Steve Coppell and what he had done for our club.

That is my best Palace moment and I honestly believe it simply cannot be bettered.

Palace till I die
Old 02-11-2002, 12:36 AM

Del Martian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againDel Martian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againDel Martian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againDel Martian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againDel Martian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againDel Martian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againDel Martian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againDel Martian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againDel Martian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againDel Martian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againDel Martian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love again
As with a lot of others, the signifcant matches of the 70's ( Wrexham A , Burnley H. and Ipswich H) and 80's ( Blackburn - Play off).
For me the Cup Final 1990 , not because I was there, but because for the first time Palace were playing in a truly significant internationally broadcast football match. I saw the game on t.v. at the "Blarney Stone Irish Pub" in Downtown San Diego with my Arsenal and Leicester and Sporting Gijon mates ; I am happy to add they were all solidly behind the Eagles that day. I explained to them that it was the first time I had ever seen Palace on t.v. for a "live" match and that it was the F.A. Cup Final versus Man U. meant it was as big as they come.There were only about half a dozen other Palace fans there along with(surprisingly, only about the same number of Man U. fans present). I guess these were pre FOX / Murdoch days and satellite soccer coverage was still in it's infancy. These days here, we have two or three pubs/bars with at least 50 Man U. fans dominating the 7am Boddinton's and greasy Anglo Irish breakfast footy fest. I stay at home.
Anyway, the game, as we all know, was brilliant. I had to walk outside several times during extra time; I just knew it would be nerve-wracking. Of course I was dissapointed we didn't hang on, this feeling passed quickly as the memories of the day were so rich.
As for the repay...another story...
Old 02-11-2002, 12:51 AM
Honk

Gosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by northernsouler
The win at Highbury when johnny salad scored twice meant a lot to me personally as I was getting over ex-girlfriend who supported the arse. Ace drink-up afterwards in Firkin where we put the wind up Rory McGrath ( an arse micro celeb).
That is one of my ealiest memories of the palace. What a great day. Apart from You Know Who scoring the "consolation goal".