Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 02-11-2002, 01:02 AM
Honk

Gosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I only really started supporting Palace when I went to South London as a student. I always liked football, but I never had a particular loyalty, apart from the fact that... I could bore everybody for ever here. ( I know because I've done it before...)

I'd heard that we'd beaten Reading AWAY 6-1. I was hooked. Soon afterwards we beat Southend 6-1. (In-between we beat some useless bagoshite 4-0).

Brilliant! We are Palace, we are palace, super palace, from Selhurst, we are Palace, Super Palace, we are palaccce from selhurst

4 Months til Brighton,

there's only 4 months til Brighton!
Old 02-11-2002, 02:46 AM
Dazed & Confused

bert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbert head is god came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sadly, I wasn't at Villa Park or Wembley due to an earlier soujourn in the United States. For me the greatest day/night will always be Burnley '79. I will not bore you with my memories of that night because they have been set out many times on other threads.

This being so, the original question on the thread refers to a "moment" rather than a game. I have to mention a rather strange one to define as my best.

Pre-Villa park our best performance in the FA Cup had been a semi-final appearance. We were a third division club and we were returning to a venue where Peter Taylor had virtually single-handedly dismantled Chelsea earlier in the competition. We were all wearing cardboard fedorra's in honor of our Manager of the time. History shows that we were beaten by a David Peach penalty, but my greatest Palace moment was when Malcolm Allison appeared before the game waved at us - I honestly beleived that it was impossible for us to lose!!!!

Obviously, a few extra years following Palace have demonstrated that such a statement can never be justified
I came and set fire to your shed
Old 02-11-2002, 03:10 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Wow, Bert Head is God and I must be in parallel universes. I have to concur 100% with his post.
A couple of “moments” I would add are: When Alan Whittle scored at Sunderland in the ’76 cup run, my mate and I were surrounded by Sunderland supporters, and we just turned to each other and grinned, without saying a word. Later the guy standing next to us whispered to us “how long to go?” I just showed him my watch. From his accent I knew he was a Palace supporter, so the 3 of us just stood in silence. Most surreal.
The other was watching Palace v Man U. in the Cup final in an Irish Pub in Santa Monica, California at 7:00am. I was sitting alone at a table in the corner, and it seemed although most of the bar was fairly neutral, there was defiantly Man U. fans there, and to the best of my knowledge no Palace, except me. With every Palace goal, I got braver, until the 3rd, when I was literally jumping up and down. Shame it was all for nothing!
Old 02-11-2002, 03:21 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Just went back and read Del Martian's post. Funny how we were so close, and yet so far away, and having the same experience! Also have to agree with the Moveman post about the reserve game, the day after Wrexham. Another surreal moment!

Last edited by Hedgehog; 02-11-2002 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:06 AM

daz_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedaz_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedaz_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedaz_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedaz_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedaz_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedaz_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedaz_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedaz_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedaz_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedaz_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Hopkin, 90th.

Wrighty's double in the Cup Final, sends shivers down my spine every time I see it.

Pemberton's run in the Semi....... Bright! Straight from the kick-off!

Freedman v Stockport.

Worst moment, Cup Final Replay loss.

I was 7 years old in 1990, jumping about like a lunatic when we went 3-2 up on Cup Final day, crying my eyes out, inconsolable, days later after the replay. What an emotional week, I f*ckin' hate Lee Martin.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:57 PM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
Cup run of '76 is up there with the more obvious moments. The Roker roar silenced by Alan Whittle, Swindle at Elland Road, Taylor at Stamford bridge. i really thought our name was on the cup that year.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:25 PM

cozy is playing for a contract
Best moment for me was wembley '97.
After watching a pretty dour first half, me and the missus decided to get drinks a few mins before the whistle. Now she was 14 weeks pregnant with palacekid no.4 at the time and needed the khazi! I said I would get drinks and meet her at the same spot.

When I returned there was no sign and a couple of lasses stood there said that she had been taken away after collapsing!

I finally find her in a first aid station receiving oxygen and we proceeded to the medical centre via the banqueting suite. (Remember a Sheff Utd player coming in with a bad injury). After the medical staff were happy that she was OK, we were allowed to leave only to find out that we weren't allowed back the way we came but had to walk all the way around wembley throught the Sheffield end! That was quite enjoyable!

When we got back to the stairs I said we still hadn't had those drinks and from the sound of it the game was going into extra time, so we returned to our seats with coke in hand only to look up and see Hopkin pick the ball up on the edge of the area and curl the sweetest shot into the top corner. We were sat right behind the flight of the ball and I'm stood there saying "It's going in, it's going in!".

Well, everything erupted and I ended up spraying everyone in front with my bottle of coke!

The tears were streaming down my face and I think I was kissing just about anyone within arms length! The look on our lass's face was a picture.

The whole end was there singing and dancing for what seemed like forever while the team paraded the trophy and I seem to remember Hopkin throwing his boots into the stand below us. Also Noades getting a warm(sic) reception as he walked around the pitch with his missus!

The funniest thing was that all the time we were in the medical centre, Jane (my missus ) was upset that I was missing the game with me replying not to worry, but I was taping it at home here in Cleveland. Only to find out that the bloody video had taped the wrong side when we returned home a couple of days later! I still haven't seen the game on vid!

Sorry for such a long post.
But what a day, what a memory!
Old 03-11-2002, 12:48 PM

cozy is playing for a contract
I have to add that reading through these memories brings tears to the eyes and a serious lump to the throat!

We might not be top of the Prem, but we have been lucky (or unlucky) enough to have been put through some of the most extreme emotions in the game. Some in just a short space of time.

It's just amazing that we put ourselves through it all!

Red and Blue, through and through.
Old 03-11-2002, 01:21 PM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by little al
Pardews goal in THAT game.I feel sorry for anyone that wasn't there.I've never seen so many grown men cry!!
At this stage of my life I was skint and living in Holland, watched it at home with my Dad (it's his fault), we were just praying we wouldn't be humiliated - when Pardew scored that goal me and my Dad hit the ceiling, think I actually ran out the house and down the road. I missed that and the final which was such a downer, I so wish I'd have been there. Went to the replay but as we know it was a shadow of the real thing.

Best moment I've witnessed I think was Blackburn final when Madden scored the pen. and Wrighty's extra time header with all the crowd standing on the touchline.
Old 03-11-2002, 01:27 PM

Selhurst Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSelhurst Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSelhurst Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSelhurst Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSelhurst Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSelhurst Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSelhurst Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSelhurst Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSelhurst Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSelhurst Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fineSelhurst Eagle is happy as a lark and everything is fine
This is all bringing back good memories. It's Hopkins goal at the play-off final for me (the support at the end was amazing)

If you want to download the Hopkins goal and others go to this site:

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 03-11-2002, 01:28 PM
Wine=Piss. Cause & Effect

gjtango is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsgjtango is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsgjtango is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsgjtango is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsgjtango is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsgjtango is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsgjtango is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsgjtango is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsgjtango is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsgjtango is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsgjtango is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows
Does any one know a link to "that Hopkin goal"? I was at the game at the time, yet have only ever seen it maybe twice or 3 times within the last 5 yrs. I wld really like 2 witness it again.
Can anybody help?
Old 03-11-2002, 01:58 PM
formerly iowpalace

IofW-Palace is finding a place in our heartIofW-Palace is finding a place in our heartIofW-Palace is finding a place in our heartIofW-Palace is finding a place in our heartIofW-Palace is finding a place in our heart
best moment

Without meaning to be boring, it had to be Hopkins goal, purely because (and this was a total fluke of course, I said to my mates as we were walking into Wembley, "Hopkin's goal at Wolves made sure that there was no way back for Wolves and you watch him go and get a last minute goal today to take us up"). Well no-one was more surprised than me to actually see that come true and we was all hugging and crying, but to make the moment even more special, people who I had never met before in my life were grabbing hold of me and shouting YESSSSSSSS we've done it and other words to that effect and it was just a mass of Palace fans hugging shouting and crying, and it just brings home to you about what being a Palace fan actually means!

A very close second of course is the 4-3 cup semi-final, only second because I wasn't able to be there, but the drama was un-believeable.

Thirdly Dougie's goal against Stockport to keep us up, because it looked like we was never gonna score, and to see the celebrations in the dressing room afterwards, fantastic. Also what it all meant for Palace, because had we gone down, that would have been the end we would have never come back up, I truly believe that.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:41 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
40 odd years of watching Palace there are a few twice but in that time only twice have I cried and both times at Wembley.

1) Singing Abide with me as we did so thoughts of my Grandad came into my head he took me to the first game I saw watched Palace from around 1910 the thought they had made a Cup Final would have been surreal to him as it was to me at that moment we had done, it we were going to play in a Cup Final the greatest one off game in the world and looked around me the guy next to me had a few tears and I just felt the tears roll down my cheeks.

2) Hopkins goal at Wembley spent nearly all off the
last year recovering from a heart attack and a couple of operations to sort the heart out only saw Leicester at Wembley and then no games until February the season was brilliant climbing into the play off place the defeat of Wolves went to Wembley and Hopkin scored we were going up and I cried my eyes out again all the fears of the previous months came out in that moment and why cos I was going to see my beloved Palace back in the Premiership again the greatest league in the world and for awhile in the darker days of that year I never thought I was going to see another game let alone a game in the top division.

Hell to the glory hunters of Man U or Arsenal Liverpool not one of them will experience the feelings I had on those two days it was about a passion a love for a team that only a football fan of a team like ours can experience
Old 08-11-2002, 11:43 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down lowGrim Reaper will cross the room to turn the lights down low
When Iain Dowie scored against Man United in the FA Cup semi in 1995. Not exactly the most obvious one but I was nearly collapsed through a combination of alcohol and delirium. Classic!
The One More Point book is underway....and only 12 years late. This will be a book about not just One More Point but a look at all fanzines and their impact. It will look at what it was like being a Palace fan and football fan back in the 80s/90s. If you have comments, memories or just to remind me some (most likely drunken) incident back in the day then please PM me. And if you can think of a decent title then please step right up!
Old 08-11-2002, 11:59 PM
Shake it Baby

LLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLLCOOLSTEVE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
LOL one that stands out for me, dont know if it has been mentioned, was winning 3-2 at tranmere on a tues or wed evening a few years ago. 2-0 down and come back to win 3-2 with a last minute winner, makes the trip home so much nicer.

Still trying to decide on my best ever moment........
Old 13-11-2002, 02:57 PM
'96 '97 '04.. I was there

Ric Flair is playing for a contract
Your Greatest Ever Palace Moment

Mine has to be Wembley 1997. The Play-off final against Sheff UTD. After 89mins and 21secs of sheer drama sitting in my seat opposite the tunnel-end directly in line with the six-yard line, the tear-jerker finally struck.

As Simon Rodger floated in the corner the expectations of a last minute goal flew away as the ball was cleared...and landed at Mr. Hopkin's left foot. He switched to his right, 20 yards out to the left of the goal. The right foot swung and connected. There was a flash of sheer silence as the ball was in the air. The crowd held their breath...UNTIL... GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!
Cardiff 2005 - We Buggered It Up
Old 13-11-2002, 03:02 PM
'96 '97 '04.. I was there

Ric Flair is playing for a contract
And then there was the year before...but we won't talk about that.
Cardiff 2005 - We Buggered It Up
Old 13-11-2002, 03:08 PM
'or 0=0'

The Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Omen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Beating Liverpool in the first leg of the Coca Cola cup semi was pretty priceless!
Old 13-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Too many to list.

Liverpool at Villa Park, listening to the strains of "you'll walk alone" stick in the scousers throats as we equalised in the dying seconds.

Sheff Utd at Wembley

Blackburn play off 2nd leg

Burnley 1979

But my favourite has to be the Fulham game back in '69, my first Palace match, as a wide eyed 4 year old I thought it would always be like this!
Old 13-11-2002, 03:15 PM

sydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
A toss up between the Blackburn home leg of the play-offs when we got promoted, when the atmosphere at Selhurst was electric, and the 4-3 semi final defeat of Liverpool in 1990. That was just a truly amazing match. To my everlasting shame it was the only game in that cup run that I didn't go to, for which my son will never forginve me. I said, 'it will only be a boring 1-0 to Liverpool.'
So I watched it on TV with one of the worst hangovers I've had, which is saying something, and at every Palace goal I thought my head would explode.
Serves me right really.