Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 06-03-2002, 09:44 PM
Sad Moon Risin'

Location: 3951 miles (6358 km) (3433 nautical miles) from Selhurst
jlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE

well everything........"top of the third" and talk like that.......and why they change teams that "bat" a different times.........the rules, the scoring system......

i dont gedditt
OK LL here you go. First off there are 9 innings to a game. The top of each inning (the visiting team bats) and the bottom of the inning (home team bats). Unlike cricket there is a foul line, which if you hit it foul is a strike (Unless you already have two strikes). If you get 3 strikes on you (umpire calling a strike or a swing and a miss is one strike) , you are out. If you hit the ball in the air and someone catches it before it hits the ground you are out. If you hit the ball on the ground and they throw it to the 1st baseman, and he gets the ball before you get there, you are out. But if there is a runner on first and there is a grounder, they can throw the ball to second to get the runner coming from first base out, because he had to go because the guy that hit the ball has to run to first (not like cricket when you decide if you want to run or not after you have hit the ball. You have to run after you hit the ball). There are 3 outs to each half inning and then you switch. The scoring system is really easy. Everyone that touches home plate is scoring a run. This can be because they hit a homerun (over the fence w/out bouncing off the ground), or say there is a runner on second, and a guy gets a hit to centerfield, more than likely that guy at second can score so he will go around third base and head home. In this case, he was not forced to run in the first place (since no one was at first base) so for him to be out, the outfielder has to throw the ball in to the catcher and the catcher has to tag him (With his mitt with the ball in it) before any part of the runners body touches home plate.

"It hurts us here," Jose Luis Luviano, a fan in Mexico City, said as he punched his chest. Tears melted the Mexican flags painted on his cheeks. "There has to be an end to this disgrace where (Americans) treat us like rats and idiots."
-WC 2002 US 2 - 0 Mexico

Facebook
Old 06-03-2002, 09:45 PM
LLCOOLSTEVE
Anonymous Coward

OK i have registered................oh dear................
Old 06-03-2002, 09:48 PM

Daddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Out of interest what happens if the ball bounces over the fence?
Old 06-03-2002, 09:48 PM
LLCOOLSTEVE
Anonymous Coward

Quote:
Originally posted by jlmatthews

OK LL here you go. First off there are 9 innings to a game. The top of each inning (the visiting team bats) and the bottom of the inning (home team bats).

all fairly clear except for this bit.........top of the innings???? what u mean??
Old 06-03-2002, 09:49 PM
Hair by Les Porter

Strathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Out of interest what happens if the ball bounces over the fence?
Ground rule double. Automatically a double for the hitter.

Can cause some amusing incidents when a manager thinks their speedy baserunner might have scored from first.

That's the twelve spots filled - I can reclaim my signature for purely selfish interests.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:51 PM

Daddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
What they walk to 2nd base? That seems scant consolation for hitting a pretty good shot.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:52 PM
Sad Moon Risin'

jlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejlmatthews : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE

all fairly clear except for this bit.........top of the innings???? what u mean??
The top is the first half of the inning, the botton is the last half of the inning...2 halves to every inning, a top and bottom...just think the visiting team bats in the tops and the home team bats in the bottoms..hehe

"It hurts us here," Jose Luis Luviano, a fan in Mexico City, said as he punched his chest. Tears melted the Mexican flags painted on his cheeks. "There has to be an end to this disgrace where (Americans) treat us like rats and idiots."
-WC 2002 US 2 - 0 Mexico

Facebook
Old 06-03-2002, 09:53 PM
Sad Moon Risin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Daddy Long
What they walk to 2nd base? That seems scant consolation for hitting a pretty good shot.
All that means is that they have warning track power, bunch of girls!
-WC 2002 US 2 - 0 Mexico

Facebook
Old 06-03-2002, 09:57 PM
Sad Moon Risin'

-WC 2002 US 2 - 0 Mexico

Facebook
Old 06-03-2002, 10:01 PM
LLCOOLSTEVE
Anonymous Coward

when is the draft?
Old 06-03-2002, 10:08 PM
Hair by Les Porter

Strathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStrathclyde Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I have just randomised the draft order, and here it is. (I used the randomise tool until I was in last place, in case anyone is wondering.)

1) Phoenix Fireballs
2) Willie Mays Hayes
3) Bettys Yankee Boys
4) Might be Giants
5) Stella Sluggers
6) Sheffield Feathers
7) EASY NOW
8) Worse Than The Rays
9) smallmarketloser
10) The Toledo Mud Hens
11) Daddy's Longs
12) Strathclyde Eagles

I'll set up a Yahoo! Group for the draft as soon as I get a moment. The draft will take place by e-mail, and although I wanted to leave it as late as possible because of the risk of injuries we'll need to start it pretty soon. Shall we start as soon as everyone has joined the Yahoo! Group?

In case anyone is looking for some tips on who to draft there are a number of good pages out there, most notably the To view the link you have to Register or Login pages which carries average draft picks (i.e. what position everyone was picked).
Old 06-03-2002, 10:10 PM

11th pick. Gawd damn.

Do you reckon its wiser to pick pitchers first? Or do we go through each position until everyone has a player for each position?
Old 06-03-2002, 10:11 PM
LLCOOLSTEVE
Anonymous Coward

could a list be posted here of which BBS'er owns which team please........... if possible.....ill start

EASY NOW............yep thats me.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:11 PM
swinging and missing

Car54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recall
Glad to see that all the places have been filled.

I have informed my Wolves supporting friend that he's missed out - I'm sure we won't miss his gloating towards the end of the Division One season. He also follows the Red Sox, so any enjoyment he gets from footie will be ruined once the Yankees get going this year.

The only real loss is his team name: "Daydream Relievers". Then again, perhaps not.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:14 PM
Hair by Les Porter

People can pick whichever positions they like. I asked a few American friends before playing for the first time last year, and the advice seems to vary. Therefore I will pass on their ideas with no guarantees, plus the information that it comes from several sources.

* Get the best players when they're available.
* Get power hitters first.
* Get good hitters from traditionally weak positions (e.g. shortstop, 2nd base) first.
* Get good pitchers first.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:17 PM

Umm. I think I'll just go for the players with the funkiest names
Old 06-03-2002, 10:17 PM
Hair by Les Porter

Strathclyde Eagles is me... I'm presently too harassed to draw up a conclusive list. I do know that Feather is Sheffield Feathers and Steve in Phoenix is Phoenix Fireballs... the rest will need to wait a while.

I suggest when e-mailing draft picks we should use the format:

[teamname] select [player] in the nth round.

E.G.:
Strathclyde Eagles select Pedro Martinez in the 24th round.

I wish.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:20 PM
swinging and missing

Car54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recallCar54 put a party on and waited for the sunlight to recall
In terms of getting up-to-date news on injuries/performance stats, there are plenty of websites available. MLB.com is a good starting point - daily news and updates and links to all the clubs official pages.

Yours
Chewing my matchsticks already
Might be Giants
Old 06-03-2002, 10:23 PM
Sad Moon Risin'

I think I am Stella Sluggers. I cant remember and cant be bothered to check either.
-WC 2002 US 2 - 0 Mexico

Facebook
Old 06-03-2002, 10:23 PM

Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0Scotty is walloping Brighton 5-0
Toledo Mud Hens here.

What stats are we ranking on this season. I remember last season, all manner of things RBIs, Stolen Bases, Wins Loses, Strikes, Runs, Home Runs, Caught Stealing etc were included.

I'd love to say that this will affect who I draft but I expect I'll just go for the names I know.