Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

View Poll Results: Who is better
St Nigel of Martyn 204 60.00%
Julian Speroni 56 16.47%
John Jackson 80 23.53%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2010, 12:28 PM
It's a goat Don

Il Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Martyn v Speroni v Jackson

We all love Jules but some misguided people on the various threads about him are claiming that he is better than St Nigel

A nice democratic vote should sort this out, and I've chucked John Jackson in for the old boys
Old 11-08-2010, 12:43 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm an old boy - but St Nigel of Martyn is the best keeper that has played for Palace in my 40 years watching. End of.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Ale Enthusiast

Absolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
This is bound to have a modern bias, but it probably is John Jackson.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:46 PM

gingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
a lot of the people on here would never have seen Jackson play. I'm 33 and the first keeper I remember is Woods or was it Wood?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:48 PM

Nelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is here
I've seen all three and we are lucky to have had three great 'keepers as those mentioned.

Jools saves at least one cert every game.

Described by CPFC2010 as a Palace hero.

I will happily neg rep anybody who suggests the Whitehorse is made the away fans end.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Martyn
Burridge
Speroni
Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM

GDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I never saw Jackson play but if he was better than Nige then he must have been some keeper.

As much as I rate Speroni, i'd have Martyn over him anyday.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:57 PM

hoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlshoskingt was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
The thing is with Jules, is that a number of times we have conceded due to him flapping when a free kick comes in. In particular, i remember against Notts Forest two seasons ago and sheffield wednesday the same season. Free kicks in from a deep wide division and Jules came out flapping, missed the ball and both free kicks went straight into the goal.

"If you show enough houses, you learn all the tricks. Every realtor is just a ninja with a blazer. The average burglar breaks in and leaves clues all over the place, but not me. I'm completely clueless."
Old 11-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Dobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
As I think has been said on here before, Jacko played in Div 1 with an poor team in front of him, whereas Nige largely had the benefit of being in a good side. So in some ways, that shows Jacko to be a better keeper. I still voted for Blazey though
Old 11-08-2010, 12:59 PM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP
As much as I rate Speroni, i'd have Martyn over him anyday.
Me too.

But Nige was behind that back four of Thorn, Young, Humphrey and Shaw.

He probably had a slightly quieter time!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:00 PM

pdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Nigels loyalty was his downfall - had he played for liverpool or man utd he would have done the same job as durex does.

He would have kept seaman out...
Old 11-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Cinnamon Stick

Chris Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChris Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Rhys Wilmot.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Can only comment on Martyn and Speroni as I am not old.

Martyn for me was a bit of a hero. Always came across as a gentle giant.

Personally I would call it a draw. Martyn to me marshalled his defence better and was more 'solid'. Speroni can make the odd mistake, but equally he is capable of complete heroics.

In summary:

Martyn - Less errors.
Speroni - A few errors here and there but lots and lots of 'OMFG, how on earth did he save that?!'

My old man will definitely say Jackson out of the three though.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
I'm too young (!) to comment first hand on Jackson.

I'd say Martyn out of the other two, purely because he showed it in the top flight while Julian's great form has been in the second tier.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 11-08-2010, 01:08 PM
He's got flair and hair

Palace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Bear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoskingt
The thing is with Jules, is that a number of times we have conceded due to him flapping when a free kick comes in. In particular, i remember against Notts Forest two seasons ago and sheffield wednesday the same season. Free kicks in from a deep wide division and Jules came out flapping, missed the ball and both free kicks went straight into the goal.
Saying, '[The] number of times we have conceded due to him (Jules) flapping when a free kick comes in', followed by the only examples you could think of being 2 years ago, destroys your own arguement.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Having seen all 3 (and Vic Rouse) John Jackson remains my number 1.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Uzi Lover

Boyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for you
Huddersfield at home. Ronnie Jepson.

The individual who made that save couldn't have been human.

People go on about the Banks save. Yadda yadda yadda.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:10 PM

pdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepdeagle84 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Perry Suckling!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Yorkshire's finest

EMLEY EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEMLEY EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEMLEY EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEMLEY EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEMLEY EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEMLEY EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEMLEY EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEMLEY EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEMLEY EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEMLEY EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEMLEY EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
John Burridge should have been on there as well
Old 11-08-2010, 01:12 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I think Jules is great but I should have added that John Jackson would be my second choice. He was my first Palace hero and the certainly the bravest goalkeeper I've seen at Palace.