Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

View Poll Results: Who is better
St Nigel of Martyn 204 60.00%
Julian Speroni 56 16.47%
John Jackson 80 23.53%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Doting Grandfather

BaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Big Nigel all the time for me.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Ex Addiscombe

Penshaw Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenshaw Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenshaw Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenshaw Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenshaw Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenshaw Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenshaw Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenshaw Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenshaw Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenshaw Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePenshaw Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
John Jackkson was top man in his day I can remember him playing for fotball league 11 once never quite good enough to get in full England team

Then there was Paul (the cage) Hammond..

Still thiink St Nigel is all time number 1

On Facebook

Crystal Palace North East - Scotland, The Highlands & Islands exiles

https://www.facebook.com/CrystalPala...EastSupporters

or on Twitter

CPFC_NORTH_EAST
@NE_Palace_Fans
Old 11-08-2010, 02:31 PM

Panther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooders
I'm an old boy - but St Nigel of Martyn is the best keeper that has played for Palace in my 40 years watching. End of.
Young whippersnapper. I'm an even older boy and Jacko shades it above Nigel in my 50 years of watching Palace.

(Anyway, how can this be a sensible poll if many of the people voting never saw Jacko and/or Nigel play?)
Old 11-08-2010, 02:55 PM

northdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollie
Had to be Jacko. It seems that everyone on here who has seen all of them agrees that Jacko was the best. That has to be a more realistic poll. Glazier was good too in his day and I remember when big Nige came in, the buzz went all around the league but for me Jacko was simply out of this world. Played until well into his forties if I remember.

ps I think I remember Jacko playing for the England B team as well as the football League 11. Definitely should have been on the plane to Mexico in place of Bonnetti.

pps Also, the footballs were much heavier then. To my mind you can't compare making a save against a hard shot with today's equipment against the heavy, often mud caked and water logged, balls used back then.

Last edited by northdown; 11-08-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Crazy Eagle could go down to the harbour and jump between the boatsCrazy Eagle could go down to the harbour and jump between the boatsCrazy Eagle could go down to the harbour and jump between the boatsCrazy Eagle could go down to the harbour and jump between the boatsCrazy Eagle could go down to the harbour and jump between the boatsCrazy Eagle could go down to the harbour and jump between the boatsCrazy Eagle could go down to the harbour and jump between the boatsCrazy Eagle could go down to the harbour and jump between the boatsCrazy Eagle could go down to the harbour and jump between the boatsCrazy Eagle could go down to the harbour and jump between the boatsCrazy Eagle could go down to the harbour and jump between the boats
can I request a new option: don't know because I've only seen Speroni

how can I judge if i've never seen John Jackson play?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther

(Anyway, how can this be a sensible poll if many of the people voting never saw Jacko and/or Nigel play?)
Spot on.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Noot! Noot!

FORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is here
The poll isn't perfect, I voted for Martyn not having seen Jackson.

However it has demonstrated what was intended - that those claiming Speroni was our best ever 'keeper were talking out their hats somewhat.

It wasn't long ago some where comparing Kiraly to our previous greats.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Faaadat!

webbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hills
The defenders a GK has in front of him should be irrelevant as we're not talking about goals conceded, we're talking about shot stopping, commanding his box, crosses, etc.

I loved Nige and now love Jules, but the former wins it for me. I have never seen Jackson.

By the way, i don't mean to nitpick, but i think Leicester's second goal on Saturday was Speroni's fault. (The low cross that he went after and didnt get, leaving the guy with a tap-in)
Old 11-08-2010, 03:47 PM
It's a goat Don

Il Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZA SELHURST

However it has demonstrated what was intended - that those claiming Speroni was our best ever 'keeper were talking out their hats somewhat.

that was what I was hoping for
Old 11-08-2010, 03:49 PM

Nelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbo1990
By the way, i don't mean to nitpick, but i think Leicester's second goal on Saturday was Speroni's fault. (The low cross that he went after and didnt get, leaving the guy with a tap-in)
******* hell Webbo, didn't you notice Davis heading thin air about 5 seconds earlier?

Described by CPFC2010 as a Palace hero.

I will happily neg rep anybody who suggests the Whitehorse is made the away fans end.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:53 PM

Panther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZA SELHURST

Fair enough.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Faaadat!

webbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hillswebbo1990 has stood some ghostly moments, with natives in the hills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Muntz
******* hell Webbo, didn't you notice Davis heading thin air about 5 seconds earlier?
OK, yes sorry - Davis was the root cause (and didnt we all see it coming five seconds before he went and done it, lol), but i thought it was made very easy for the guy in the end.

That goal is irrelevant anyway, i shouldnt have even mentioned it. Apologies.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:05 PM

okey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The olds are probably best placed to decide the real winner of the poll.

Shame Venables got the England job when he did. He seemed to have an issue with Martyn (also shown at Leeds). I always considered Martyn to better than Seaman and should've had at least twice the numer of international caps he did
Old 11-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Banned by Moderators

Biggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBiggineagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Seen all three in 48 years of watching, Jackson was good and a tower of strength . Martyn was physically more fit and was good, Speroni a shotstopper extraordinaire, and I almost am convinced that he will stop a one on one everytime. I need more time for Speroni to be "as good" as the other 2. So ask me in two years time. ATM it is Martyn
"WE LEAVE THE EU MARCH 2019"

Old 11-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Faaadat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okey eagle
The olds are probably best placed to decide the real winner of the poll.

Shame Venables got the England job when he did. He seemed to have an issue with Martyn (also shown at Leeds). I always considered Martyn to better than Seaman and should've had at least twice the numer of international caps he did
Nige was in goal for that Romania debacle wasn't he, when his punch led to a volleyed goal, before Phil Dunce Neville conceded that last min pen.

You're right about the oldies being better placed.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:31 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
John Jackson. He was the single reason we enjoyed a few years in the top flight. He happens also to be my favourite Palace player that I have seen play.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 11-08-2010, 04:43 PM
It's a goat Don

Il Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling
John Jackson. He was the single reason we enjoyed a few years in the top flight. He happens also to be my favourite Palace player that I have seen play.
my late grandad - the harshest football critic I've ever met- wouldn't hear a word against Jackson
Old 11-08-2010, 05:10 PM

Kiraly_legend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiraly_legend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiraly_legend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiraly_legend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiraly_legend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiraly_legend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiraly_legend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiraly_legend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiraly_legend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiraly_legend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKiraly_legend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Jackson tips it because he is also a good postie!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Jacko has to be he nearly single handed kept us in the First Division for 3 years . Bill Glazier was also excellent remember he went for the then world record fee for a goalkeeper. Only injury stopped him playing for England in my opinion.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Captain Fun.

Benzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is here
Has to be worth mentioning that most of Jules' games for Palace have come in the second tier. Martyn was a top drawer keeper at the very top level of English football.

Speroni could well be too, but he's never been tested consistently at Prem level.

http://youtu.be/Jviw33M56UI