Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

View Poll Results: Who is better
St Nigel of Martyn 204 60.00%
Julian Speroni 56 16.47%
John Jackson 80 23.53%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Captain Fun.

Benzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbo1990
By the way, i don't mean to nitpick, but i think Leicester's second goal on Saturday was Speroni's fault. (The low cross that he went after and didnt get, leaving the guy with a tap-in)
Crazy.

He had to stay on his line until the cross came in or Howard would have had an empty net to roll the ball into.

Once it did come in it he did go for it, but it was too fast and accurate for him to get near.

http://youtu.be/Jviw33M56UI
Old 11-08-2010, 07:03 PM

NYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Jackson was unforunate to be playing in an era when there were some great English keepers - Banks, Shilton, Bonetti, Corrigan, West, Stepney, Parkes, Clemence.

In another era he would definitely have played for England.

Saying that, I would still vote for Martyn.

Jules is a great keeper but still has to prove himself at the highest level.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
I am surprised no one has mentiond Alan Lee

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 11-08-2010, 10:21 PM

okey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineokey eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbo1990
Nige was in goal for that Romania debacle wasn't he, when his punch led to a volleyed goal, before Phil Dunce Neville conceded that last min pen.

You're right about the oldies being better placed.
Yes, that's true - not one of his greatest punches . Was Venables ousted by then though. Think it was Sven managing in the euros. He seemed to have more time for Martyn. Interesting that David Moyes says Martyn was his greatest ever signing at Everton, even though he was 82.

Guess you never lose true gifted talent, unless you're Lee Sharpe
Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 PM

Location: I'm only putting something in this field in order to create more space in the line below for my 'rep'
Mal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Has anyone over 50 NOT gone for Jackson?

Budgie Byrne's post says it all (as does BB John's poetry)
Old 12-08-2010, 07:22 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Padrino
my late grandad - the harshest football critic I've ever met- wouldn't hear a word against Jackson
I hope you used to listen to your late grandad he knew what he was talking about.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
We have been blessed with some wonderful 'Keepers over the years and Speroni has earned his place in a poll of greats.

However, I have to agree with those who say that Jackson would win this poll by a country mile if everyone voting had been fortunate enough to witness the great man in action. As Mal Adjusted implies, it would be amazing if anyone over the age of 50 has voted for anyone else.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
This poll is in desperate need of a moo option as only those who saw all three play are in a position to make a judgement.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Dougie 21/03/2007

milky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyandy
Huddersfield at home. Ronnie Jepson.

The individual who made that save couldn't have been human.

People go on about the Banks save. Yadda yadda yadda.
Still not a patch on Kolinko at Newcastle
Old 12-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Chamakh's Hairdresser

rhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for yourhynoeagle is just too good for you
Kolinko.

Follow me on http://http://twitter.com/RyWalCP
Old 12-08-2010, 09:21 AM

GDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGDP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:

The best save i've ever seen.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by okey eagle
Was Venables ousted by then though. Think it was Sven managing in the euros.
That was Keegan.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Best save I've ever seen was Speroni against Zheng Zhi at The Valley when we lost 2 or 1 nil back in early 2008.

Kolinko's was pretty damn special.

I don't remember the Huddersfield one. What season was that?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:18 PM

Harry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I have seen every Palace goalkeeper since Dick Graham,I have stated my opinion earlier but while all opinions are valid and certainly as valid as mine I can't help feeling that people are letting the folk hero status of Jacko getting in the way of judging his ability,as good as that was.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
We have been blessed with some wonderful 'Keepers over the years and Speroni has earned his place in a poll of greats.

However, I have to agree with those who say that Jackson would win this poll by a country mile if everyone voting had been fortunate enough to witness the great man in action. As Mal Adjusted implies, it would be amazing if anyone over the age of 50 has voted for anyone else.
Pay attention.

I'm over 50 and I voted Nigel Martyn.

John Jackson was and is a Palace hero, but Nigel was a better keeper.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:31 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooders
Pay attention.

I'm over 50 and I voted Nigel Martyn.

Rob, you're a traitor to the over 50's Next we'll have Archie coming on voting for Frank Parsons.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Archiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArchiebald Leitch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I haven't read all this thread but what about Bill Glazier? Oh and Frank Parsons was pretty good as well.

For the sake of the poll I go: Nige, Jacko, Jules
Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Question!

AJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet

Now repeat after me "I AM FREE".

Last edited by AJ's right boot; 12-08-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:07 PM
52 years and counting...

Chobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

People go on about the Banks save. Yadda yadda yadda.
Yes that was an absolutely stunning save in a match that was otherwise a not very exciting 0-0 draw IIRC.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Noot! Noot!

FORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is hereFORZA SELHURST Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ's right boot
Jules is the best, anyone that disagrees is a Nazi. I trust that clears up the situation.
Martyn, für mich.

Ein Reich!