Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

View Poll Results: Who is better
St Nigel of Martyn 204 60.00%
Julian Speroni 56 16.47%
John Jackson 80 23.53%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolution
This is bound to have a modern bias, but it probably is John Jackson.
Is (probably) the right answer.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ's right boot
Jules is the best, anyone that disagrees is a Nazi. I trust that clears up the situation.
Oh dear ... some of us have a problem with being called a Nazi, it's not very nice. Shame we can't double neg you
Old 12-08-2010, 06:37 PM

IanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
For me it would be:

(1) John Jackson
(2) Nigel Martyn
(3) Julian Speroni

in that order. Speroni is a very good Championship keeper, but I doubt if he would stand out in the Premiership - there is a huge difference in the quality of strikers in the Premier League and the Championship (and, interestingly, no premiership clubs have ever come in for him).

Jackson kept a poor Palace team in the top flight for four seasons, sometimes almost single handedly and would have been an England regular if it hadn't been for Banks and Shilton being around at that time (England's two best ever keepers). Martyn was an England international and player of the year at Palace, Leeds and Everton (I believe he won it more than once at one or both of those clubs).
Old 12-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Question!

AJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAJ's right boot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Oh dear ... some of us have a problem with being called a Nazi, it's not very nice. Shame we can't double neg you
It was a joke, appologies if I've caused offense it wasn't intended. I shall edit the post.

Now repeat after me "I AM FREE".
Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 PM

Gooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGooders came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiebald Leitch
I haven't read all this thread but what about Bill Glazier? Oh and Frank Parsons was pretty good as well.

For the sake of the poll I go: Nige, Jacko, Jules
See, John - you'll have to take us both on.

Of course, you'll have to catch us first.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:54 PM

tony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
This is most interesting. Seeing all the keepers since Vic Rouse and being (well) over 50, I must be honest and say I saw John Jackson play far more games than the others in the poll, and saw all the home games in the old first division 69-73 and most of the aways. 'Jacko' only missed 4 games in that time all 72-73. I saw him save penalties from Martin Peters, Francis Lee(no mean feat at that time) and in the promotion year from Keith Weller there may have been others. His best game for me was at Wolves in 1965 which I always believe gave him more confidence, he shared the keepers spot with Tony Millington at that time another fine keeper after Bill Glazier left. Bill was outstanding and gave Coventry good service for many seasons and was great for us in our promotion year 63-64, and should have been in the poll, but my view is that John was a better keeper for us. Sorry I am going on a bit, but I feel that 'Jacko' was the best I have seen, but can understand others who consider Nigel and Julian the best , I have not seen as many games they played, but when I did/have was very impressed. Reading old reports Jack Alderson was pretty good in the 1920s (just before my time!)
Old 12-08-2010, 07:01 PM

Walter Wort came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWalter Wort came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWalter Wort came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWalter Wort came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWalter Wort came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWalter Wort came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWalter Wort came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWalter Wort came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWalter Wort came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWalter Wort came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWalter Wort came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Peter Caswell.
The stats don't lie.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:15 PM

morrisons shirt worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bittermorrisons shirt worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bittermorrisons shirt worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bittermorrisons shirt worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bittermorrisons shirt worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bittermorrisons shirt worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bittermorrisons shirt worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bittermorrisons shirt worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bittermorrisons shirt worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bittermorrisons shirt worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bittermorrisons shirt worked all through the winter, the weather brass and bitter
jacko,kept us up 4 years running.brave as a lion
Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisons shirt
jacko,kept us up 4 years running.brave as a lion
Or not...We were relegated in the 4th year.

As per the other sensible replies, I didn't see Jackson play so my opinion is worthless. However, I think NM was a better keeper than JS.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Newman23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewman23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewman23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewman23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewman23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewman23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewman23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewman23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewman23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewman23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewman23 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
My Dad loves John Jackson, so much so that when I was a kid he used to show me how to do his autograph!

For me though there's only one winner in this poll: Super Nigel Martyn - great keeper and worth every penny of the 1 million we paid for him
Old 12-08-2010, 09:26 PM

northdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollienorthdown belongs to Ollie
Jacko, Jacko, Jacko, Jacko...how many times can I vote?

If you never saw him you can't be expected to understand/appreciate how great he was. If you did see him and don't rate him the number 1 I'm sorry but there's no cure for Alzheimers yet lol.
Old 13-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie Byrne
It was a traversty and had Jacko been on the bench that hot Mexican afternoon, England would have made the final
Why? He couldn't have done much from the bench...
Old 13-08-2010, 09:42 AM

kayjay came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkayjay came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkayjay came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkayjay came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkayjay came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkayjay came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkayjay came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkayjay came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkayjay came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkayjay came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietkayjay came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek
I'm too young (!) to comment first hand on Jackson.

I'd say Martyn out of the other two, purely because he showed it in the top flight while Julian's great form has been in the second tier.
this
Old 13-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Norwegian red and blue

Stigma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStigma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStigma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStigma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStigma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStigma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStigma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStigma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStigma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStigma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStigma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Nigel Martyn for me. To say Julian is our best goalkeeper is waaaay too soon. Not had enough games for such a title.
29/05/04 Crystal Palace West Ham 1-0
28/02/04 Crystal Palace Gillingham 1-0
02/02/02 Sheffield W Crystal Palace 1-3
02/10/99 Crystal Palace Portsmouth 4-0
Old 13-08-2010, 10:55 AM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooders
See, John - you'll have to take us both on.

Of course, you'll have to catch us first.
When were you and Archie ever known for your speed?
Old 13-08-2010, 11:01 AM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman23
My Dad loves John Jackson, so much so that when I was a kid he used to show me how to do his autograph!
I know it sounds sad, but I used to practice his autograph as well. If I remember correctly didn't he use one large J that accounted for his first and last name and scribbled the rest of the letters next to it?
Old 13-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Budgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Why? He couldn't have done much from the bench...
OK, what I should have said in the squad so that when some nasty foreign sort spiked Gordon Banks food, Jacko would have stepped in rather than Bonetti

[Malcolm Allison, Flamboyant manager with the fedora hat 1927 - 2010 The Eagles "Godfather" RIP
Old 13-08-2010, 11:24 AM

Budgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad John
I know it sounds sad, but I used to practice his autograph as well. If I remember correctly didn't he use one large J that accounted for his first and last name and scribbled the rest of the letters next to it?
Spot on, just looked it up in my copy of the Crystal Palace story. I was lucky enough to get the whole 69 promotion team to sign it.

[Malcolm Allison, Flamboyant manager with the fedora hat 1927 - 2010 The Eagles "Godfather" RIP
Old 13-08-2010, 11:32 AM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva
Can only comment on Martyn and Speroni as I am not old.

Martyn for me was a bit of a hero. Always came across as a gentle giant.

Personally I would call it a draw. Martyn to me marshalled his defence better and was more 'solid'. Speroni can make the odd mistake, but equally he is capable of complete heroics.

In summary:

Martyn - Less errors.
Speroni - A few errors here and there but lots and lots of 'OMFG, how on earth did he save that?!'

My old man will definitely say Jackson out of the three though.

Yes, I will say Jacko out of the 3. I suspect anyone of my age or older will say Jacko. I always remember his brilliant pen save from Franny Lee (who have scored from about his 15 previous spot kicks).
It's not that I don't rate Martyn or Speroni - They were/are both excellent keepers for CPFC - But it has to be Jacko all the way for me.
Old 13-08-2010, 12:05 PM

kevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyandy
Huddersfield at home. Ronnie Jepson.

The individual who made that save couldn't have been human.

People go on about the Banks save. Yadda yadda yadda.

This - brilliant save