Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 07-11-2010, 09:36 PM

The Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De Niro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro
When you talk about toughness, that Coppell team had it all the way up the spine - Thorn and Young, Gray and Thomas, and Wright and Bright. I'm sure other teams absolutely dreaded playing us.
Vinnie Jones was quoted as saying at the time: "Palace. No one likes play against those horrible bastards".
Old 07-11-2010, 09:37 PM

The Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De NiroThe Bishop is up against the wall, behaving like De Niro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever
Andy Thorn
Old 07-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember Micky Droy smashing John Fashanu in the face and being sent off in 85-86. He was a hard bastard.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 PM

ammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Roy Barry

Geoff - without a doubt.

I don't buy the Andy Gray one - he always went missing against the hard men - Terry Hurlock, Graham Roberts, Vinnie Jones, Bryan Robson and Norman Whiteside spring to mind.

And Geoff more than stood up to them.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:47 AM

Roundabout is playing for a contract
Bert 'Chopper' Howe
Old 08-11-2010, 01:59 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabout
Bert 'Chopper' Howe

Never saw him play, but I've heard he was the real mcCoy when it came to hard cases. For me Roy Barry and Roger Hynd spring to mind. Bobby Kellard was also a tough little bastard when he wanted to be. First player to ever be sent off on a Sunday.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 PM

palace64 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace64 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace64 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace64 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace64 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace64 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace64 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace64 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace64 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace64 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace64 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
i was going for noddy holder but age and memorey roger hynd for me
Old 08-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bishop
Vinnie Jones was quoted as saying at the time: "Palace. No one likes play against those horrible bastards".
At first I thought you might have left a word or two out of your quote, but when I saw it was a Vinnie Jones quote, I realised it's probably verbatim
Old 08-11-2010, 02:28 PM

SW11 Andy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSW11 Andy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSW11 Andy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSW11 Andy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSW11 Andy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSW11 Andy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSW11 Andy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSW11 Andy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSW11 Andy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSW11 Andy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSW11 Andy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Peter Nicholas, Billy Gilbert were hardly shirkers
Old 08-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Jerry Murphy. Never used to wear shinpads.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Alfie Pattens Love Child

DDD is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsDDD is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsDDD is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsDDD is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsDDD is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsDDD is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsDDD is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsDDD is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsDDD is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsDDD is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsDDD is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychokiller
I remember Micky Droy smashing John Fashanu in the face and being sent off in 85-86. He was a hard bastard.
Like a landrover with a beard...Fashanu hit him first if memory served and Droy didnt even move
Old 08-11-2010, 03:43 PM
P40 West Maigh EO FC

Away Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway Day Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiller
Vinnie Jones,
And Geoff more than stood up to them.
Sheffield Away January 1991 - Geoff let Jones know he meant business in the first 30 seconds by giving him an almighty clump.
"In memory of your father, Sean" she said.
And when I put the Sam Browne on
she was smiling with the tears.
As she placed the broad black brimmer on my head.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:06 PM

nealcpfc could do a simple job in striplightsnealcpfc could do a simple job in striplightsnealcpfc could do a simple job in striplightsnealcpfc could do a simple job in striplightsnealcpfc could do a simple job in striplightsnealcpfc could do a simple job in striplightsnealcpfc could do a simple job in striplightsnealcpfc could do a simple job in striplightsnealcpfc could do a simple job in striplightsnealcpfc could do a simple job in striplightsnealcpfc could do a simple job in striplights
Phil Holder was a hard man for me. I remember him and Brian Horton regularly kicking lumps off each other in the old 3rd Division around the time of the cup run in the 70's.
More recently we played a pre season game at Highbury and Sammy Nelson, no saint himself, gave a young Jerry Murphy a nasty kick early on. Chris Coleman saw it and later in the game as Nelson was going down the wing hit him so hard with a tackle he went over the advertising boards into the crowd. The ref just smiled and gave the throw in. No complaints from anyone either!
Then there was the Cannon/Gilbert combination. If one didn't get you the other one would. Following that there was Micky Droy, he was a mountain of a man. I believe George Wood was a nasty piece of work when riled as well.
Later we had Geoff Thomas. He stood up to anyone who wanted to put it about and there were some really hard bastards around at the time.......
Old 08-11-2010, 05:32 PM

Panther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betrayPanther is like ice, their footing does betray
[QUOTE=nealcpfc]More recently we played a pre season game at Highbury and Sammy Nelson, no saint himself, gave a young Jerry Murphy a nasty kick early on. Chris Coleman saw it and later in the game as Nelson was going down the wing hit him so hard with a tackle he went over the advertising boards into the crowd. The ref just smiled and gave the throw in. No complaints from anyone either!
QUOTE]

Murphy was years before Coleman and would never have played in the same team. Who do you mean? (Sounds like the sort of thing Billy Gilbert might have tried?)
Old 08-11-2010, 06:40 PM

Keenstonian is one of our favourite thingsKeenstonian is one of our favourite thingsKeenstonian is one of our favourite thingsKeenstonian is one of our favourite thingsKeenstonian is one of our favourite thingsKeenstonian is one of our favourite thingsKeenstonian is one of our favourite thingsKeenstonian is one of our favourite thingsKeenstonian is one of our favourite thingsKeenstonian is one of our favourite thingsKeenstonian is one of our favourite things
Thug

Bobby Kellard
Old 08-11-2010, 07:14 PM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfy
Roy Barry skipper in the early 70's and John Craven.
Roy Barry was without a doubt one of the hardest defenders we had. John McCormick was another fearless stopper. Bobby Bell was definitely in the Mark Dennis mould.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:09 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
[QUOTE=Panther]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealcpfc
More recently we played a pre season game at Highbury and Sammy Nelson, no saint himself, gave a young Jerry Murphy a nasty kick early on. Chris Coleman saw it and later in the game as Nelson was going down the wing hit him so hard with a tackle he went over the advertising boards into the crowd. The ref just smiled and gave the throw in. No complaints from anyone either!
QUOTE]

Murphy was years before Coleman and would never have played in the same team. Who do you mean? (Sounds like the sort of thing Billy Gilbert might have tried?)
That might have been the friendly where I believe peter nick busted Willie Young in the tunnel.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 PM

Ogilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was only young and my memories not all that but didn't Rachid Harkouk (?) pull a knife on someone in a car-park? Proper tough.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:34 PM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogilvy
I was only young and my memories not all that but didn't Rachid Harkouk (?) pull a knife on someone in a car-park? Proper tough.
Wasn't that Gilbert? "That's my parking space you ****"
Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 PM

cockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogilvy
Why does a knife make someone tough?