Home | Forums | Gallery | Predictions | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 12-01-2011, 11:25 AM

Eye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Discovering stuff when walking

I do much more walking now than I used to, and I see much more (obviously) than when driving.

I've lived in Carshalton for over 50 years and never knew this place existed behind Carshalton High Street. Lovely building 'tis too. The Orangery.

My brother Pc Patrick Dunne - A Tribute (Patrick is the pianist too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfmADrc4fsg
Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Eye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEye-dee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
"This once stood in the northern edge of Carshalton Park which originally extended down nearer to the High Street. Very little is known about the history of the building, but its shape, large windows and south facing orientation are typical of an Orangery.

These buildings were predecessors of the modern greenhouse. Oranges and other plants were grown in large pots or wooden tubs. They were kept in the orangery over winter and set out in the garden in the summer.

In the first half of the 18th century an Italian architect called Leoni designed a palatial house for Carshalton Park but it was never completed. The project included a very large orangery but the existing building is much smaller and is unrelated to the Leoni design. It may have been built in the second half of the 18th century, possibly for George Taylor, who owned plantations in the West Indies, and probably built a new house in Carshalton Park.

By the late 19th century the Orangery was being used a stable. It is now used as offices for the Environment Agency"
Old 12-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Paxton lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againPaxton lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againPaxton lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againPaxton lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againPaxton lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againPaxton lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againPaxton lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againPaxton lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againPaxton lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againPaxton lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againPaxton lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love again
Not forgetting, of course, one of London's few surviving 18th century jacuzzis:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

I'm devising a route for a Baroque church crawl this summer.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton

Just a few yards from my house, yet I am ashamed to say I have never done the tour
Old 12-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Moritz's Physio

E_girl belongs to OllieE_girl belongs to OllieE_girl belongs to OllieE_girl belongs to OllieE_girl belongs to OllieE_girl belongs to OllieE_girl belongs to OllieE_girl belongs to OllieE_girl belongs to OllieE_girl belongs to OllieE_girl belongs to Ollie
Carry on guys - I know none of this, as new to the area. So is an education
Old 12-01-2011, 12:04 PM
has jumped ship.

RickyB : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRickyB : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRickyB : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRickyB : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRickyB : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRickyB : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRickyB : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRickyB : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRickyB : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRickyB : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRickyB : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I discovered a grumble mag in a bush when I was younger.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Los Pollos Hermanos

A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton

Nice! That looks like a good family half day in the spring when it reopens
Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Los Pollos Hermanos

A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!A Wooden Fish On Wheels has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels
(I've flagged it in Outlook to check back in April).
Old 12-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Timbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
As a Suttonite I am interested in all this. Curiously enough, when driving past the Ponds on Boxing Day, (about the time I learnt that Norwich had been postponed) I saw a large old building on the left adjoining the pond, which I had not spotted before. This is not the building opposite the Greyhound but at the other end of the ponds. Maybe the trees in front had obscured it from my view previously?
I like the idea of a "Historic Carshalton" pub crawl, which would have to include the Palmerston in Mill Lane as my dad worked in the factory opposite for almost 30 years
Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM
CMAM

jone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-dee
I do much more walking now than I used to, and I see much more (obviously) than when driving.

I've lived in Carshalton for over 50 years and never knew this place existed behind Carshalton High Street. Lovely building 'tis too. The Orangery.

The late great Oliver Reed had a hand in the restoration of this place back in the 80's. He was a frequent vistor to the Coach during this time

Mayor of CarshaltON
Old 12-01-2011, 12:47 PM
CMAM

jone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minejone-zee : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels
Well worth a visit just to see the tiling inside. You could also take in the Ecology Centre across the road down Festival Walk

Mayor of CarshaltON
Old 12-01-2011, 01:06 PM
MAMIL

stevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietstevek came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
For some reason I was looking recently at a book of historic London Trees and two of them were in Carshalton (one near Festival Walk and one in Carshalton Park).
Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Semper idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek
I was looking recently at a book of historic London Trees

Best post opening ever.

(Sorry).

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 12-01-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek
For some reason I was looking recently at a book of historic London Trees and two of them were in Carshalton (one near Festival Walk and one in Carshalton Park).
The London Plane, Old Peanut Seller touches it every time he passes
Old 12-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo
As a Suttonite I am interested in all this. Curiously enough, when driving past the Ponds on Boxing Day, (about the time I learnt that Norwich had been postponed) I saw a large old building on the left adjoining the pond, which I had not spotted before. This is not the building opposite the Greyhound but at the other end of the ponds. Maybe the trees in front had obscured it from my view previously?
I like the idea of a "Historic Carshalton" pub crawl, which would have to include the Palmerston in Mill Lane as my dad worked in the factory opposite for almost 30 years
My dad worked there (Vinyls)
Old 12-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Timbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTimbo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-dee
My dad worked there (Vinyls)
Ah Vinyl Products, that one was next door on the corner. My dad worked at Distillers, which became BP. The entrance was (unfortunately) directly opposite the Lord Palmerston
Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM
A Bit Ranty Today!

Scroatey is a gunboat in a sea of fearScroatey is a gunboat in a sea of fearScroatey is a gunboat in a sea of fearScroatey is a gunboat in a sea of fearScroatey is a gunboat in a sea of fearScroatey is a gunboat in a sea of fearScroatey is a gunboat in a sea of fearScroatey is a gunboat in a sea of fearScroatey is a gunboat in a sea of fearScroatey is a gunboat in a sea of fearScroatey is a gunboat in a sea of fear
I am well into walking and wandering at the moment from my base in Crystal Palace - venturing out and back on foot you discover many a building, natural wonder or other feature you so easily miss whizzing by on wheeled transport.

Crystal Palace Park is in itself a bountiful joy to explore and trying to imagine it in all it's glory with the buildings still standing is amazing. Saying that I usually just get sidetracked by the dinosaurs!

Took a walk via Kingswood Hall (buried in the Kingswood Estate) and College Road up to Dulwich Park, and back via Dulwich Village, Herne Hill and Gipsy Hill at the weekend.

Also been in the other direction through South Norwood Lakes,and onto the Country Park and back via Betts Park and Anerley Road.

I often walk to Croydon for shopping, and occasionally walk from London Bridge back home via Burgess Park and Camberwell Green. Plan on rambling through to Kennington Park and the Imperial War Museum in the near future.

Is it worth heading further south to Eye-Dee land then?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsychokiller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Always liked a stroll myself, normally with headphones and music. When I moved to my area I always assumed that the building below was part of the water pumping station opposite but it turns out it was actually a train station between Victoria and Battersea Park called Grosvenor Road in the 1800s (apologies for the lycra perverts in the photo)
Old 12-01-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroatey
Is it worth heading further south to Eye-Dee land then?
Loads of history in Carshalton
Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 PM

Richard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychokiller
... I always assumed that the building below was part of the water pumping station opposite but it turns out it was actually a train station between Victoria and Battersea Park called Grosvenor Road in the 1800s (apologies for the lycra perverts in the photo)
Me too. Many thanks for that

(Except for the lycra perverts of course)