Home | Forums | Gallery | Predictions | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 26-07-2010, 05:48 PM

PeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The Tudors

I have just finished viewing the excellent Tudors - series III.

Anyone else a fan?

Any news on when series IV might be out?

A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband. A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.
Old 26-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Irish blood English Heart

OscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Saw the first series. Not accurate but good fun and plenty of Tudor boobies to gawp at.
“You ever noticed how people who believe in Creationism look really unevolved? You ever noticed that? Eyes real close together, eyebrow ridges, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day" Yeah, looks like He rushed it.”

Amid concrete and clay, and general decay, nature must still find a way...
Old 26-07-2010, 06:07 PM

PeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPeterH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yes, lots of artistic licence, but not enough to ruin it like so many Hollywood movies.

The main events in the story, actually happened. I'd love to see more of the underbelly of England though, rather than just the royal palaces. I love the politics and the intrigue, all based on increasing your families power in the realm at the risk of getting your head lobbed off.

A question. Was Tomas Cromwell a distant ancestor to Oliver Cromwell in any way?

A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband. A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.
Old 26-07-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscillateWildly
Saw the first series. Not accurate but good fun and plenty of Tudor boobies to gawp at.
Joss Stone didn't get her boobies out in Season III.

Old 26-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH
Yes, lots of artistic licence, but not enough to ruin it like so many Hollywood movies.

The main events in the story, actually happened. I'd love to see more of the underbelly of England though, rather than just the royal palaces. I love the politics and the intrigue, all based on increasing your families power in the realm at the risk of getting your head lobbed off.

A question. Was Tomas Cromwell a distant ancestor to Oliver Cromwell in any way?
I think, from studying the reformation and Henry VIII at college this year, he was like the great great uncle of Oliver Cromwell.

btw the Tudors was quite a good show, but I swear they cut off series 3 without warning?

www.woosiethinksfootie.blogspot.com
www.itsoktotalk.wordpress.com
www.fiveyearplanfanzine.co.uk

'it would be boring if they won every time right?'

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end

Last edited by Woosie; 26-07-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 26-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
No.

But do read Wolf Hall. It's a truly great book.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 26-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Semper Idem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie
I think, from studying the reformation and Henry VIII at college this year, he was like the great great nephew of Oliver Cromwell.
That would be odd since he was born decades before his great great uncle.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 26-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz
No.

But do read Wolf Hall. It's a truly great book.

Cheers.

Old 26-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWoosie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz
That would be odd since he was born decades before his great great uncle.
I meant the other way around.

I was close, wiki says "Thomas was Oliver's great-great-great-uncle"

www.woosiethinksfootie.blogspot.com
www.itsoktotalk.wordpress.com
www.fiveyearplanfanzine.co.uk

'it would be boring if they won every time right?'

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
Old 26-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
I think, from studying the reformation and Henry VIII at college this year, he was like the great great nephew of Oliver Cromwell.
Other way round.
Old 26-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Semper Idem

Quote:
I meant the other way around.

I was close, wiki says "Thomas was Oliver's great-great-great-uncle"
Wiki's being a bit naughty...

As stated before, Oliver's family were not directly descended from Thomas Cromwell, but from his sister Katherine. This lady married a Morgan Williams, and thus the Cromwell family were not strictly Cromwells at all but, by the normal rules, Williams.

Morgan Williams started life as 'Lifas Morgan ap Williams', this being a traditional Welsh name given using a logical method, making it easy to identify the son of a father. Some names tended to change with each generation, unless a son was given the same name as his father. In this case, he would be known as Fychan or 'the younger.'

It is easy to see how a young Welshman and his family should wish to take advantage of the reputation of Thomas Cromwell, as attitudes to surnames were not the same then as today. The adoption of a the more celebrated name was open: the Williams arms were used by Morgan's descendants and the family continued to be listed as alias Williams for generations up to 1620, as can be seen by Oliver's own marriage contract.

Later, a Royalist kinsman who had considerable trouble gaining acceptance under the name of Cromwell wrote to Oliver complaining that now Oliver was a regicideTo view the link you have to Register or Login he had made the name so odious it was time for him to change it back to Williams again. The eldest branch of this side of Cromwell's family did adopt the name Williams after the Restoration. Upon the Restoration of the Monarchy, Cromwell was vilified as a regicide and suffered post-mortem decapitation for his crime.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 26-07-2010, 06:44 PM

Cheers again.

Old 26-07-2010, 06:49 PM
The Usual Suspect

El Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down low
But he was kin.
Old 26-07-2010, 06:59 PM

Very distantly, it appears so.

In the scheme of things most of us are if you go back far enough. Well, that is one theory anyway.

Old 26-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebrighton_eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Not that distant. Oliver was Thomas' great great great grandnephew. He wasn't a Cromwell though, which was the point of the article Maz quoted.
Old 26-07-2010, 07:50 PM
The Usual Suspect

El Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down lowEl Aguila will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Yes.
But would you say that that made Thomas a distant ancestor to Oliver Cromwell?
Old 26-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Irish blood English Heart

OscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOscillateWildly : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Joss Stone didn't get her boobies out in Season III.
Thar was a good thing!
“You ever noticed how people who believe in Creationism look really unevolved? You ever noticed that? Eyes real close together, eyebrow ridges, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day" Yeah, looks like He rushed it.”

Amid concrete and clay, and general decay, nature must still find a way...
Old 26-07-2010, 08:07 PM

Waiting for that.

I like Joss Stone, a lot.

Old 26-07-2010, 08:16 PM

The Gerry Queen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Gerry Queen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Gerry Queen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Gerry Queen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Gerry Queen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Gerry Queen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Gerry Queen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Gerry Queen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Gerry Queen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Gerry Queen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Gerry Queen : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Waiting for that.

I like Joss Stone, a lot.
I thought that she did suprisingly well as Anne of Cleeves ! At first I thought no way but she carried it off with aplomb !

I didn't see series 3 yet. I was impressed with most of it in the first two though especially the way that it brought a period of history to life that had been killed for me by history teachers obssessed with dates and lists of kings and battles.
Old 26-07-2010, 08:17 PM

Series III is the one with Joss Stone as Ann of Cleves. Unless the box sets are different here.